Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

theflyingorc posted:

So this year, the Olympics are being held in a dystopian future. That's fun.

People used to dislike the movie 'Stalker'. Now they see that it was a prescient glimpse into Sochi. "Stalking into The Zone" is the Russian introductory O;ympic sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I loving love all this Sochi stuff. It is just hilarious how terrible Russia is. It's like that sterotype, you think " aww I'm sure it's not that bad" BUT IT IS. IT ISSSSS.

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie
Is living in the Olympic Village going to be an Olympic event? If so, I'm in for watching.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

People used to dislike the movie 'Stalker'. Now they see that it was a prescient glimpse into Sochi. "Stalking into The Zone" is the Russian introductory O;ympic sport.

Russia and North Korea are God's gift to dystopian thriller writers because any time you would start to think "this is completely ridiculous tripe that could never be allowed to happen in real life" you suddenly remember that North Korea built a fake city on its border to try to give the illusion to South Korea that they are a prosperous nation and suddenly it seems like anything is possible.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

I loving love all this Sochi stuff. It is just hilarious how terrible Russia is. It's like that sterotype, you think " aww I'm sure it's not that bad" BUT IT IS. IT ISSSSS.

Seriously, even if it's just a small group of people circlejerking (and I don't think it is) the idea of a derelict Olympic village in Russia is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

So this year, the Olympics are being held in a dystopian future. That's fun.

Shaun White pulled out of the slopestyle event because apparently the course is some sort of twisted snowboarder murder machine.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zoux posted:

Shaun White pulled out of the slopestyle event because apparently the course is some sort of twisted snowboarder murder machine.

So, it's one of those The only way to win is not to play scenareos?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Speaking of corrupt sports organizations, FIFA accepted the Qatari bid for the World Cup, and only later did they announce that it would have to be moved to the winter due to the weather getting far too hot in the summer. Qatar apparently got in on a summer bid, ahead of the US, Australia, South Korea and Japan, and now the decision to move the World Cup is going to cause havoc in the European leagues. Look forward to the UK burning to the ground in 2022.

Donīt forget that Qatar isnīt going to be able to finish all the needed stadiums in time, which by the way also cost a preposterous amount of foreign laborersī lives because safety conditions are so terrible. But ya know, sports are important.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Well, at least it makes the news less boring for those folks who aren't that interested in olympic sports...

Unrelated:

Motley
Nov 1, 2013

Those are adorable. I thought I was in the General Feelgood thread for a second.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

zoux posted:

Isn't Shaun White a prima donna douchenozzle though? I'd put more trust into that statement if it was coming from no-name athletes who couldn't possibly be in the Olympics for anything other than getting to be in the Olympics yet still felt the need for self-preservation was stronger.

Opie_Yates
Nov 30, 2010

PepeSilvia posted:

I went to see some friend's bands play in Manhattan at this place Cake Shop. I wanted to do a shot of whiskey, so I asked how much it would be for a well shot, and they said $7. I stuck with the $5 draft I had been drinking. Booze prices all over NYC are outrageous, though, it isn't uncommon at all nowadays to see $7 draft beers.

Sorry, couple pages back but are those Benzedrine inhalers that they are holding? Must be tweaked outta their minds!!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Opie_Yates posted:

Sorry, couple pages back but are those Benzedrine inhalers that they are holding? Must be tweaked outta their minds!!

Something along those lines anyway. That's Pete Best on the left, and they took a lot of amphetamines and other stimulants while playing in Hamburg in the early 60's.

Edit - The alt tag for the photo on this page says it's packets of Preludin.
http://www.beatlesbible.com/features/drugs/

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Phlegmish posted:

More impressions from Sochi:

drat. It looks like the Olympians are even being judged on their peeing form. Those chairs are for the judges.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bored posted:

drat. It looks like the Olympians are even being judged on their peeing form. Those chairs are for the judges.

Great form; knees tightly tucked to chest, controlled rotation, no splash on entry.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Bored posted:

Drug tests?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

mind the walrus posted:

Isn't Shaun White a prima donna douchenozzle though? I'd put more trust into that statement if it was coming from no-name athletes who couldn't possibly be in the Olympics for anything other than getting to be in the Olympics yet still felt the need for self-preservation was stronger.

Not really, he's just really competitive and driven, so kind of dickish but hardly Jennifer Lopez. If it helps Torstein Horgmo broke his collarbone on the same course before White's wrist accident, although he's hardly a no-name.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

None of us will ever be as happy as this furry little guy :smith:

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
I think he really withdrew because he is a bit of a longshot for that event, and didn't want to risk an injury that would put him out for the rest of the games for the events that he is favored to win medals in.

I'd probably do the same thing

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pleads posted:

Great form; knees tightly tucked to chest, controlled rotation, no splash on entry.

Ooh, back to front wiping, one point deduction.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Brown Moses posted:

More Sochi fun
I'm sure it's just one of those things where some high-ranking official demanded that people be let in to see the facility before it was ready to be shown, I'm sure they'll have it done in time. Hey, when are the Olympics this year...

*googles "2014 Olympics"*
The XXII Olympic Winter Games (Sochi) 2014 begins on
Friday, February 7
and ends on
Sunday, February 23

:suspense:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ah. Then those chairs must be for the witness (or whatever they call the people that watch them pee into the cup) for Olympians that suffer from paruresis. The witness can just lay down and take a nap while the athlete tries to relax enough to pee. It'll take a while.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Aaaaannd they're killing all the stray dogs.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/05/sochi-dog-lover-tries-save-strays/wfYJbeD1nf0Fuh0VbJlc0O/story.html

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

This happens in every city that hosts the olympics, doesn't it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This happens in every city.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BANME.sh posted:

This happens in every city that hosts the olympics, doesn't it?
Only the ones with stray dogs.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
quate!= edit

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At this point I'm even starting to hate the olympic athletes as much as anyone else. The Olympics seem pretty awful and wasteful and I'm placing the blame on the participants as well as the IOC. gently caress 'em. I don't care how early they woke up to practice their ice skating.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I guess these Olypmic Games are turning into a real...
poo poo-Sochi.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

This is the non-hell version of this:

In some parallel universe we all think the tongue parasite is cute and the kitten is repulsive.

Crocuta
Nov 6, 2004
wakkawa
At least the Olympics dodged this bullet

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Can someone order these from most corrupt to even more corrupt:
FIFA, IOC, Formula One

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Ape of Naples posted:

At this point I'm even starting to hate the olympic athletes as much as anyone else. The Olympics seem pretty awful and wasteful and I'm placing the blame on the participants as well as the IOC. gently caress 'em. I don't care how early they woke up to practice their ice skating.

Personally I see the Olympics as some manner of international dog show where they parade their superior breeding and training. Back even as recent as 50 years ago the Olympics were a venue for people with a natural talent. Those athletes would have regular 9-5:00 jobs and lives, today's athletes are just training machines who only have one purpose in life. Hell, the athletes from China don't even have a choice as they are selected from as early as 9 years old to spend the rest of their (useful) lives in one of the thousands of Olympic training camps.

Disband this poo poo and just televise Russian rapid-build projects. That's entertainment!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Aww he looks so bashful like "Oh dear! I'm so sorry I didn't know I was going to have guests or I would have tidied up the blood stains. This is ever so dreadful."

Another Sochi that I can't believe no one has posted yet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

FIFA, IOC, Formula One

Was just about to ask this question. FIFA is hilariously corrupted. See the next World Cup (not this one)

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

FIFA, IOC, Formula One

IOC, F1, FIFA

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

FIFA, IOC, Formula One

Where's NASCAR?

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

Opie_Yates posted:

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Edit - The alt tag for the photo on this page says it's packets of Preludin.
http://www.beatlesbible.com/features/drugs/

The article I got the pic from says that they're Preludin. It's a pretty interesting examination of the current state of designer drugs: https://medium.com/matter/19f753fb15e0

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

FogHelmut posted:

This happens in every city.

They don't take them away to shelters and put them to sleep. They just kill them right there in the street, bag them up, and go. Most former Soviet cities have huge numbers of strays and no pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

:ssh: It's a statue

• Locked thread