Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CandyCrazy posted:

When Hinata first entered the building, only the smashed monitor was there. The camera parts appeared after the crime scene was altered. Someone could have easily taken the camera to the fake crime scene to stage the hanging, and then after Hinata ran off to the motel, they could have put the camera back and smashed it. No decoys necessary.

Except that it seems like the the monitor has the controls (I could be wrong, though) - and more specifically, the monitor is what you need to tell when someone has taken the bait and run off to the club.

The only way I can fathom taking the camera and leaving the actual monitor is if there are two killers still alive and working together (one at the set pretending to hang themselves, the other in the club). But how would they coordinate, though?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I really want you to explain this post. Were you actually being serious?

Jesus Christ it's sarcasm from the first guy and the second guy agrees with him.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I really want you to explain this post. Were you actually being serious?

Really? I'll say this then, I was as serious then as I am right now.

mangoman321
Apr 10, 2009
I'm starting to really suspect Mikan here, and I think it's possible we have Nagito as an accomplice. They may have been faking just how sick Nagito was, when in fact he was cooperating with Mikan to help her get away with her crimes.

My guess is, like a lot of people have said, she staged the broadcast at the hospital. People are arguing over whether the video was recorded or not, but there might not be a need for it to be pre-recorded. Imagine this scenario: She wakes up the sleeping Hinata and brings him to the hospital. She refuses to let him see Ibuki, then they talk with Nagito. Afterwards she says she's going to get some sleep and leaves, and Nagito tells Hinata to get out. At this point Nagito is still in his hospital gown. If he immediately meets up with Mikan where they have the fake stage set up and puts a bag on his head, they could have faked the video live right there. Nagito plays the part of Ibuki, and Mikan could operate the camera and blow out the light.

This would require that Mikan stole the camera for broadcasting and has it in the hospital with her. Note that when Hinata makes it to the club and first discovers Ibuki, we see the pink wreckage of the monitor part of the camera/monitor setup. However, when he returns later and discovers Saionji's body, the pile of wreckage seems to have gotten bigger. In the most recent update when we examine the wreckage, we don't seem to discover anything other than the camera/monitor pieces. To explain the extra wreckage, this would suggest that the camera was brought and smashed later, between the time Hinata discovered Ibuki and when he came back and found Saionji. In order to fake the video, this also requires that there is a second tote bag, one without the Monomi logo, which was a point of contention earlier.

This would explain why Hinata happened to see the blinking light on the monitor at the exact right time. Nagito and Mikan started the broadcast immediately after Hinata walked away from them. Then, when he runs to get the others, one or both of Mikan/Nagito could run to the club behind him to set up the rest of the trick. Sainji was already behind the fake pillar, so they remove and hide the extra wallpaper. They would bring the camera with them and smash it on top of the already broken monitor. They plant the drumstick as fake evidence, when they actually glued the door shut from the outside. The heat in the room could be related to the glue somehow. This also explains why Mikan said Ibuki died of hanging instead of strangulation, and why Nagito went out of his way to ask her this. If they were working together, it also explains how Mikan could get so much done by the time she meets up with Hinata again. Nagito could have stayed behind and finished the rest of the evidence tampering.

Of course, I'm probably missing something obvious, but the evidence seems to be pointing to the video being faked in a separate location. If we find out it couldn't have been pre-recorded, I think this theory offers a pretty good explanation for how it could have been faked live.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

CuppaGodot posted:

Well the stepladder confirms that the footage we saw was a fake. We would have seen the blood on the stepladder the way it was facing in the video. Combined with the curtain that doesn't quite fit it seems to be a case of the stage being made to resemble the fake crime scene rather than trying to make a fake crime scene that resembles the fake.

And it seems like the heat was used to solidify the gum and create the illusion of a "locked" door. I think this was to keep the illusion that Saionji was killed second and cast suspicion on the people from the hospital. After all, they were the ones out there wandering around looking for Mioda, while the people in the motel were presumably all in their rooms. Combined with the fake pillar, it seems that it creates the image that between Hinata seeing Ibuki and the rest coming back, someone, somehow, managed to tape Saionji to the pillar and disappeared from a locked room.

Either the killer was timing this down to within 10 minutes, which is impressive but is starting to strain my suspension of disbelief or they had an incredibly precise plan that was initiated with the broadcast that Hinata saw.

Yeah, the 10 minute window is making this whole thing really incredulous for anyone to commit, but the fact that the video has definitively been proved fake confirms Mikan as the killer. She went upstairs just as Hinata was watching the video. Also, I get the feeling that Komaeda's whole "Are you SURE she was hanged?" bit is going to come up again.

You could say that he's giving her...

just enough rope to hang herself. :smuggo:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TKMobile posted:

Naegi, Togami, and Hakagure, as well as Syo/Fukawa, Kirigiri and Aoi. Three guys, three girls, even spread.

True. But before that, there was still Sakura and Junko.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Anatharon posted:

Vita.

Wasn't DR1 mostly girls by the end?

Not by the end exactly, but when you consider that one of the girls was hidden up to the very end, and one got killed by Monobear, you have more guys dying in the actual murders/executions than girls. Peko was the first girl in the series to kill another girl, which is kind of interesting to note.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

Peko was the first girl in the series to kill another girl, which is kind of interesting to note.

Junko killed Mukuro, though.

Unless you're referring to the trial murders.

sugarlegalguardian
Dec 26, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Junko killed Mukuro, though.

Unless you're referring to the trial murders.

She did so as Monobear, though, which is different territory.

LukanFox
Jul 23, 2013

mangoman321 posted:

I'm starting to really suspect Mikan here, and I think it's possible we have Nagito as an accomplice. They may have been faking just how sick Nagito was, when in fact he was cooperating with Mikan to help her get away with her crimes.

Given Monobear's comments about the 'despair fever' and how Owari also bounced back afterwards, I'm willing to bet that Nagito really was as sick as he lied about being. Also if he was co-operating with Mikan, I doubt he'd try to trap her with the "you're absolutely sure that this is a death by hanging, right?" question.

And as I've stated before, arranging a fake crime scene would be too risky if the killer couldn't remove all evidence of its existence before the investigation started and since the investigation couldn't have started more than 15 minutes after showing the video, that probably wouldn't be enough time. Well, okay, it might be but that's pushing it a little.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
I was walking home when something caught my eye.

Monobears in my hood what's going on?! :gonk:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Of course it's in the truly despair-inducing UFO Catcher >:|

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Reverend Cheddar posted:

I was walking home when something caught my eye.

Monobears in my hood what's going on?! :gonk:

Where was that? I didn't see any DR related stuff anywhere bar niche appeal stores but that was a year ago and I guess it's more popular now.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Where was that? I didn't see any DR related stuff anywhere bar niche appeal stores but that was a year ago and I guess it's more popular now.

I saw Monobear plushies of various forms at practically every UFO catcher place I walked into in Japan two months ago. Strangely, a popular version was Monobear and Monomi plushies in their manzai outfits from chapter 1.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

That Monobear looks a little bit too fat. Like, Monobear has really let himself go; he must have gorged on despair.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

John Lee posted:

That Monobear looks a little bit too fat. Like, Monobear has really let himself go; he must have gorged on despair.

If you really wanna see Monobear letting himself go, how about this newly announced 105cm tall version?! Yours for only $290 USD!

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Does it come with Super High School Level Karate moves?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Amusing that Junko is featured prominently in that promo pic.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Kal-L posted:

According to the ad, it comes with "upupu no POSE"

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President

Kal-L posted:

Super High School-Level Kung Fu Grip?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Her and the idol chick that gets offed in the first drat case.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Poor Mukuro :(

-redacted-

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 6, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

GilliamYaeger posted:

I find myself wishing that [snip.]

You mean the thing we're not supposed to talk about or mention yet? That thing that everyone keeps bringing up and then is immediately told not to talk about it at all yet? That thing?

HGRyan
Jan 22, 2013

Wow
Alright, here's my theory. (At 3AM)

First off, I'm pretty sure the heat is for rigor mortis. If it is, Ibuki/Saionji might've been dead for longer than we thought; we're made to believe Ibuki died recently with the footage, and with the heat up, her body will still be "fresh", and the same most likely happened to Saionji. They both probably died in the middle of the night, when everyone was asleep. Except the culprit.

Now, Ibuki could have wandered out, since she was restless, but there could be a chance that she was still listening to Hinata, and staying in her room to rest. If so, and going with the theory that Tsumiki is the culprit, Tsumiki could have easily gone to her room and strangled her; with all the medical stuff there is, I'm sure there's something rope-like in a hospital. Her corpse was then carried over to the music club to make it look like she was committing suicide, but then the murderer was caught by Saionji. (I don't have much of an idea of why she would be there in the middle of the night, especially since she locked herself in her motel room the entire time)

Therefore, the culprit would've killed Saionji, probably on stage where the wiped bloodstain is, hid her corpse on the pillar, and while setting up the suicide scene, gets the blood from their hands onto the sides of the stepladder. I agree with the others with the drumstick being a ruse; I say they put the glue stuff on the edges of the doors and just closed them, where they then solidified?

No clue on the blood on Ibuki's shoes, though.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

HGRyan posted:

No clue on the blood on Ibuki's shoes, though.

I'm guessing that whoever made that video put on Ibuki's gown and slippers, rather than bring an extra set. So even if Ibuki died first, she could still have gotten the blood on her slippers, assuming the killer her clothes to stage that video (this is also how the blood got on the ladder without being on Ibuki's hands).

It's possible Saionji stumbled in randomly, but not very likely. I think she had plans of her own. She was, after all, the one to suggest the quarantine, told Hinata to assist Mikan, and told Souda to make the communications device.

If this were the case, however, that would mean that the video was recorded/broadcast from the club and not some other location.

Or here's a completely crazy theory:

This was a murder/suicide. Saionji told Ibuki to kill her, then hang herself. The rest of the setup is someone going totally Togami and loving with us.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

Yeah, the drumstick was probably snapped beforehand and left on the floor to disguise the glue that was actually keeping the door shut, while giving alibis to people who were definitely outside the club to witness the door being broken down. Kuzuryuu is being awfully helpful at noticing the red herring clues, too. Maybe his reformation post-trial was all an act? :tinfoil:

I'd personally be more likely to believe that Kuzuryuu pointing out red herrings is itself a red herring. In other words... we may have a meta red herring on our hands. :stare:

Overall though, I do like this theory for how the culprit got out of the Titty Typhoon. It seems the most plausible to me. I must say, from what we've seen thus far, I think this is going to be a pretty awesome case!

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I'd say the temperature would have been used to effect the glue in some way. Perhaps delay it for whatever reason? I don't really know.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

slam5000 posted:

I'd personally be more likely to believe that Kuzuryuu pointing out red herrings is itself a red herring. In other words... we may have a meta red herring on our hands. :stare:

Then it's revealed mid-way through the case that the meta red herring is the true red herring and things get existential. :v:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Knicknevin posted:

I'm guessing that whoever made that video put on Ibuki's gown and slippers, rather than bring an extra set. So even if Ibuki died first, she could still have gotten the blood on her slippers, assuming the killer her clothes to stage that video (this is also how the blood got on the ladder without being on Ibuki's hands).

So the killer went to a lot - A LOT - of trouble of making it appear like Ibuki died first, but deliberately left behind evidence that suggested that Saionji died first, because Ibuki really did die first.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So the killer went to a lot - A LOT - of trouble of making it appear like Ibuki died first, but deliberately left behind evidence that suggested that Saionji died first, because Ibuki really did die first.

Should've just labeled them "Justice Victim #1" and "Justice Victim #2". Way less of a hassle.

xSangiune8
Jul 7, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Perhaps in their rush, the killer didn't notice the blood? This scene took a lot of time in terms of set-up and execution (no pun intended!) - there may have been no time for a careful once-over. Also, if there was an unplanned murder involved, it would throw our killer off their plan; how do you deal with an extra body?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I still just want someone to super-obviously be a murder culprit, and actually is one. The idea that they're obviously a red herring would be the red herring.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0

Saionji wearing her clothing backwards seems important. I wonder if that means she put it on herself.

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 5, 2014

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
-redacted-

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 6, 2014

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

GilliamYaeger posted:

...We're talking about the same thing here, right? The ...

… which is a thing that is only unlockable at the end of a Dangan Ronpa 2 playthrough, which should be a secret.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Didn't Oren show that off at the end of the DR1 thread?

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
No, he showed the bad ending. Now please shut up about this and edit out your spoilers.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CodfishCartographer posted:

I still just want someone to super-obviously be a murder culprit, and actually is one.

...You mean like Celes in 1-3?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Veks posted:

No, he showed the bad ending. Now please shut up about this and edit out your spoilers.

I believe what Gilliam is referring to is the easter egg ending at the end of DR1 that Oren did show in the last upadate

http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/Update%20144/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veks posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, but the easter egg ending for DR 1 was posted in the thread.

• Locked thread