Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Or you know, stop calling 13 the worst when that's about one of the most untrue statements to be made in relation to Final Fantasy.

In the mainline Final Fantasy's I would put 13 up there with 2 in terms of bad FFs. At least that is what I think but my friends loving love 13 for who the gently caress knows what reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ImpAtom posted:

There is a scene where all the heroes call their giant robost which then combine into a giant flaming sword forged entirely of friendship which they use to stab God so hard he turns into crystals and falls into a black hole. This is a thing that ACTUALLY HAPPENS. It is not exaggerated in the slightest.

This game sounds amazing. The way I see it, the parts people "complain" about are the parts I like because there's at least something fun going on, rather than pretty much nothing like the last two games.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ImpAtom posted:

There is a scene where all the heroes call their giant robots which then combine into a giant flaming sword forged entirely of friendship which they use to stab God so hard he turns into crystals and falls into a black hole. This is a thing that ACTUALLY HAPPENS. It is not exaggerated in the slightest.

Goddammit stop making me want to get this game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Livingtrope posted:

Dude thats a pretty retarded twist, like I think you can legit complain about it.

The thing about the 'twist' is that it isn't a twist at all. It follows logically (or at least as logically as the loving insane game can be) from things presented in the game. It's just magnificently, gloriously, insanely anime. It may be the most anime thing I've ever seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

This game sounds amazing. The way I see it, the parts people "complain" about are the parts I like because there's at least something fun going on, rather than pretty much nothing like the last two games.
Yeah, for real. That's some Gurren Lagann-level poo poo, and I loving love Gurren Lagann. Dear Final Fantasy: More that, less 'lightning can only destroy.'

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

There is a scene where all the heroes call their giant robots which then combine into a giant flaming sword forged entirely of friendship which they use to stab God so hard he turns into crystals and falls into a black hole. This is a thing that ACTUALLY HAPPENS. It is not exaggerated in the slightest.

Look, the Final Fantasy XIII franchise did alot of things wrong, but this isn't one of them. It is, if anything the most Final Fantasy of things.

e: Does Lightning get a snazzy quote like 'We're done here!' or 'Playtime's over!' when she kills him?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Goddamn I think I have to buy this stupid game, all of this sounds hilarious. Especially combined with the stupid costumes you can put on Lightning.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The plot of 13 was stupid, but I actually liked most of the characters. Sazh and Fang were cool, and I enjoyed Snow, if only because he's an archetype that I cannot get enough of. I didn't see what was so irritating about Vanille apart from how generic she is. I didn't even mind Lightning or Hope.

Now, the fact that you can't choose your party or do anything but walk down corridors for most of the game was the dealbreaker for me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The thing about the 'twist' is that it isn't a twist at all. It follows logically (or at least as logically as the loving insane game can be) from things presented in the game. It's just magnificently, gloriously, insanely anime. It may be the most anime thing I've ever seen.

You're really gonna have to sell it if you want me to believe it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Game of the Year 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Look, the Final Fantasy XIII franchise did alot of things wrong, but this isn't one of them. It is, if anything the most Final Fantasy of things.

e: Does Lightning get a snazzy quote like 'We're done here!' or 'Playtime's over!' when she kills him?

She goes on a long rant about humanity doesn't need God anymore. It seriously may be the most atheist game ever. All her battle quotes change in the final fight and she starts yelling things like GOD IS DEAD. That is an actual quote.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Goddamn I think I have to buy this stupid game, all of this sounds hilarious. Especially combined with the stupid costumes you can put on Lightning.

Those costumes show up in cutscene. You can have Lightning facing down God Himself wearing a butler outfit and an 8-bit Moogle Mask.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

She goes on a long rant about humanity doesn't need God anymore. It seriously may be the most atheist game ever. All her battle quotes change in the final fight and she starts yelling things like GOD IS DEAD. That is an actual quote.

Those costumes show up in cutscene. You can have Lightning facing down God Himself wearing a butler outfit and an 8-bit Moogle Mask.

Can she get a Fedora? I'm buying the hell out of this game next week if she can.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurain posted:

Can she get a Fedora? I'm buying the hell out of this game next week if she can.

If there's a hat type you can get it. Top hats, berets, fedoras... I don't think there are any baseball caps sadly but I may have just missed them.

Also beards. So many beards.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

ImpAtom posted:

If there's a hat type you can get it. Top hats, berets, fedoras... I don't think there are any baseball caps sadly but I may have just missed them.

Also beards. So many beards.

This game can't be anything but GotY at this point, it's just impossible. There's too many things crossing at once making this more amazing than it deserves to be.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

That is absolutely phenomenal. :allears:

ImpAtom posted:

As is all of this.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Too little too late SE: I already have The Wonderful 101. Better luck next year decade!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

This game can't be anything but GotY at this point, it's just impossible. There's too many things crossing at once making this more amazing than it deserves to be.

It really depends on how much you can enjoy a completely batshit plot where people philosophize at one another while one of them looks like this:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

It really depends on how much you can enjoy a completely batshit plot where people philosophize at one another while one of them looks like this:

Oh my god, my hype cannot possibly be higher. This game would literally need to have buttrock boss fights to make it better.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Would you call the game good ImpAtom? How are the gameplay changes, I heard some negative things from the demo, but other than that haven't heard almost anything about this game (also my console died recently so I won't be playing this anytime soon).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

It's so dumb...I want it. :allears:
Even better if Ali Hillis has her grumpy voice on.
"Go find your stupid VOID and stay there", "I know what it feels like to be a tool".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 5, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Oh my god, my hype cannot possibly be higher. This game would literally need to have buttrock boss fights to make it better.
You could fight the final boss of Dissidia with Lightning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4gXTIUSxd4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

You could fight the final boss of Dissidia with Lightning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4gXTIUSxd4

It's not the same without having Lightning yell GOD IS DEAD in ridiculous outfits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Would you call the game good ImpAtom? How are the gameplay changes, I heard some negative things from the demo, but other than that haven't heard almost anything about this game (also my console died recently so I won't be playing this anytime soon).

The combat system is fantastic. It's fast paced and offers a variety of playstyles depending on how you want to approach fights. There is a relative lack of enemy variety but each enemy is fairly unique and how you stagger them/how you fight them varies pretty heavily. I found myself switching my schema up from time to time just to keep things fresh though because sticking with one combat style can get a little stale. (Which is the same for a lot of Job System games.) Since there is no leveling system enemies can hit extremely hard throughout the entire game and encourage you to master the mechanics.

However it's also very possible to break the mechanics hard. Through proper equipment setup I was able to create one Schema that was immune to physical damage and another that was immune to magical damage. Neither schema could do damage at all but I could rotate them in and out based on what I was fighting and effectively have a super-Sentinel class. Since you can instantly switch between Schema this basically allowed me to render myself invincible to bosses who only used a specific kind of attack.

There are a metric assload of sidequests. If you like those really depends on how you like sidequests. There's a bunch of "Collect this poo poo for me" sidequests that are posted on boards and then more involved (although often Collect This poo poo in a more disguised form) ones which have plots and such. Some take themselves insanely seriously and others are ridiculous as hell. Sometimes intentionally ridiculous and sometimes unintentionally ridiculous. If you like this will really depend on how much you like sidequesting as a thing. The game only has 4 areas and they get a bit repetitive. You'll be revisiting the same areas a lot.

The time system is basically a complete fizzle as a mechanic because it is utterly effortless to effectively freeze time permanently. I ended up have 5 solid days with nothing to do except hunt species to extinction because I was able to manage time so effectively. At no point did I feel remotely stressed for time and if anything I had more than enough. If you do an overabundance of sidequests you unlock a 14th 'extra' day before the last day and a bonus dungeon but neither is particularly necessary at any time.

Would I call it "good" is hard to answer. The combat system is fantastic. The rest really depends on how much it appeals to you. I finished all the sidequests, unlocked the bonus day, beat both the optional superbosses and hunted most species to extinction so I sure as hell played the gently caress out of the game. The combat system is the thing that sticks with me the most strongly though. It has a lot wrong with it, although some of what it has wrong is also exactly the sort of thing that might appeal to some people, if that makes sense? I couldn't recommend it wholeheartedly but it if it works for you it will probably really work for you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 5, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The mustaches and funny outfits are tempting, but Lightning's huge head is a dealbreake for me. It's just terrible.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

The mustaches and funny outfits are tempting, but Lightning's huge head is a dealbreake for me. It's just terrible.

Which Final Fantasy are you here for if you can't tolerate a weird shaped anime lady

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah, for real. That's some Gurren Lagann-level poo poo, and I loving love Gurren Lagann. Dear Final Fantasy: More that, less 'lightning can only destroy.'

(endgame spoilers) I thought this actually kinda worked, Bhunivelze certainly has the narcissistic anime god down to a T.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

Which Final Fantasy are you here for if you can't tolerate a weird shaped anime lady

Well, the first like six games didn't have good enough graphics to tell so maybe he's just old.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

When did this become a Getter Robo game?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
See, all this sounds pretty great to me. I want to run around in stupid outfits and Groucho Marx mustaches stabbing god and performing genocide on the local fauna with a fun battle system.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Oh my god Lightning Returns is such a glorious clusterfuck from what I just read and I so badly want it now. Whelp, time to put in a pre-order before the 14th :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, I should add one thing for people actually planning to buy it:

There is a sidequest where you are asked to return a journal. You are asked if you want to read it or not. Read it. Otherwise you miss out on the sidequest to get the Dark Knight garb. That was the only "gotcha" thing that I discovered, at least in my playthrough of the game. There may be others and I just missed them but as I said I did pretty much everything in the game.

The only other one to be careful about is a quest where two guys tell you to return to them at noon on the next day. You don't get a reminder of this but they get pissy and cancel the quest if you don't, so just remember that is a thing.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Livingtrope posted:

Well, the first like six games didn't have good enough graphics to tell so maybe he's just old.

The first six games had the biggest heads of them all!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

The first six games had the biggest heads of them all!

It didn't look weird because of how out of proportion everything looked tho. In 3d, the difference is more noticeable and so seems more strange.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ImpAtom posted:

As many others have already said, this kind of thing is exactly why I would buy it. I don't want my Final Fantasies to be rational. I'll just watch it and laugh and continue swapping outfits.

I will say that they missed an opportunity by not allowing you to hot-swap outfits mid-cutscene.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The first 6 games were another art style that doesn't lend itself well to realistic proportions in the first place.

7 is fine because they were trying out new things and technology was a bit limited.

8 was fairly realistic. The people in 9 seem a bit short to me for some reason but overall not as egregious, and it fit with the art style.

10 and 12 were fairly realistic.

Lightning Returns... It's huge and it doesn't fit with the art style. Was it always like that? I never finished 13 but I don't remember her being that bad.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So while XIII was obnoxious and XIII-2 was incomprehensible, you're saying Lightning Returns is so stupid that it somehow comes back around to being good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So while XIII was obnoxious and XIII-2 was incomprehensible, you're saying Lightning Returns is so stupid that it somehow comes back around to being good?

That depends a lot on your tolerance for things. I play Tales of (x) games so my tolerance for insane anime is tempered in uguu fire until it is like a katana folded many times over.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Was this posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIAW4HBPicY&hd=1

Lara Croft's outfit for Lightning as DLC.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Was this posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIAW4HBPicY&hd=1

Lara Croft's outfit for Lightning as DLC.

Yes, this is the one I was referring to above as being blocked by my employer for being explicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's not even a matter of subjectivity, there are two games in this series that had awful starting dates. XI had to be gussied up for its western release, even that didn't really fix it enough and XIV was a loving giant mess in its original version. XIV was so bad Square issued an apology to everyone, redid the game from the ground up and went as far to purge XIV by dropping a meteor on the whole game to lead into ARR. Of course if you have a single objective bone in your body, you would not call 13 worse than 2, 2 is a game that was not only bad for its time, it has not sweetened with age. I can't say anything about 3 as that's the only main FF I have not played. This is of course counting only the main series games and not spin-offs where it can get MUCH worse.

Everything else from there on is subjective, I guess I could say 1 is there too, but that game was the one that started everything and is so old it sort of exists in its own little world apart from the others.

Holy poo poo, you mean XI was actually once worse than the abomination I played with it's forced grouping and enormous time sinks?