Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

That was a great video, but I find it always completely crazy that sane individuals feel like it's a good idea to debate people believing in a modern religious dogma only pushed by the three following church bodies:
- Evangelical Reformed Presbyterian Church
- Lutheran Church Missouri Synod
- Seventh-Day Adventist Church

representing around 1% of the Christians worldwide. That means 99% of the Christians think that these people have some kind of delusion for still believing the earth is 6.000 years old. The Vatican doesn't even deny evolution.

Why would it be a good idea to debate deluded people? By definition no matter how many contradicting proofs you'll show them, they'll NEVER change their opinion. That's how delusion works.

It's like trying to discuss Islam with terrorists like they are some kind of authority. Makes no loving sense.

Does that small 1% still get to decide what textbooks publish though? On account of them having enough political sway in one state, and the bookmakers not printing 50 different versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fixed Expression posted:

Is this really a regular issue in your family?

After the pool was put in, our Newfie would flipflop between exhilaration and terror. On one paw, he loved swimming, on the other if my nieces or nephews acted like they were in distress or, god forbid dove under the water he would flip right the gently caress out and go into :siren: HERO DOG MODE :siren: and valiantly pull them to safety.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Elfface posted:

Does that small 1% still get to decide what textbooks publish though? On account of them having enough political sway in one state, and the bookmakers not printing 50 different versions?

Certainly. I said 1% but it's still 1% worldwide (so actually much more compared to the population of the US).

I remember seeing a trailer for a documentary about US textbooks being basically chosen by Texas and a panel of people supervised by a guy who literally believes there were dinosaurs in the ark.

I'm not saying you don't have a serious problem with religious nuts in the US.

I'm saying no matter how long you debate a deluded person, you will NEVER make him change his mind. You are simply stuck with insane people and your only chance is to solve this at the root of evil, textbooks, like you said. I have no idea how you can do that since these fundamentalist lobbies are so powerful but debating them will certainly not change a thing, just giving them more visibility.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I hope someone is finding joy in how miserable this thread is to read right now.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Certainly. I said 1% but it's still 1% worldwide (so actually much more compared to the population of the US).

I remember seeing a trailer for a documentary about US textbooks being basically chosen by Texas and a panel of people supervised by a guy who literally believes there were dinosaurs in the ark.

I'm saying no matter how long you debate a deluded person, you will NEVER make him change his mind. You are simply stuck with insane people and your only chance is to solve this at the root of evil, textbooks, like you said. I have no idea how you can do that since these fundamentalist lobbies are so powerful but debating them will certainly not change a thing, just giving them more visibility.

Yeah those debates seem silly to me. The Christian scientists want to have their cake and eat it too, as in, believe that God can create the galaxy in a day, but not admit that it doesn't fit into the laws of nature and science. It's always a smart, charismatic scientist trying to be reasonable and logical. And a flustered Christian who falls back on "because the bible says so" when questions get tough.

I fully respect people of faith. Buy guys, you don't play by the rules of science, so why even go head-to-head in a science battle? It's like the Christians are bringing a basketball to a baseball game. They will always 100% seem stupid.

That debate was definitely schadenfreude though. I'm sure there were a lot of Christians at home facepalming and wondering who the gently caress this guy is who is apparently representing them.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

LeJackal posted:

After the pool was put in, our Newfie would flipflop between exhilaration and terror. On one paw, he loved swimming, on the other if my nieces or nephews acted like they were in distress or, god forbid dove under the water he would flip right the gently caress out and go into :siren: HERO DOG MODE :siren: and valiantly pull them to safety.

This sounds hilarious and adorable.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Combo posted:

Here's a guy asking to be punched, and someone finally obliges:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pebk8k0DHHg

Aaaand another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3IhQRPLoF0

sweet, here's another good one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6z7xKaadQQ

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
cat schadenfreude

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's far, far more than 1% in the US, it's actually about 1/3 of people who don't believe in evolution.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Shnag posted:

cat schadenfreude

That cat 100% meant to do that, look how smug it looks at the end.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Roobanguy posted:

This sounds hilarious and adorable.
I'm not quite so sure it is. My in-laws' Lab went nuts when we went in the pool without her. She'd jump a four foot fence to "rescue" us, then make sure she got her fair share of fun. Imagine a 60 pound weight being dropped on your head while swimming. Now imagine something twice that weight and size flopping on top of you. For my share of schadenfreude, she got me good on my back with her claws and snagged my hair and dragged me under.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

kinmik posted:

I'm not quite so sure it is. My in-laws' Lab went nuts when we went in the pool without her. She'd jump a four foot fence to "rescue" us, then make sure she got her fair share of fun. Imagine a 60 pound weight being dropped on your head while swimming. Now imagine something twice that weight and size flopping on top of you. For my share of schadenfreude, she got me good on my back with her claws and snagged my hair and dragged me under.

Pretty much. He was never actually trained in water rescue, so imagine 70 pounds of dog diving in blindly and grabbing hold of whatever limb he can find and desperately dragging you to the sunning deck. Its all blind stupid instinct and kinda scary for the kids, and they can get a scratched up by his claws when he swims. :( Though at least I don't have to worry about one of the kids drowning if we'd not around.

What is adorable is when the terrier will try to attack the fountains, and the Newfie will go "protect" him by just picking him up in his mouth and swimming him to the other side of the pool. :3: They are that different in size.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

This totally qualifies.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TheSpiritFox posted:

This totally qualifies.
Having watched the debate today, I feel more like it's less Bill Nye winning and more Ken Ham losing spectacularly. It was agonizing and I guess qualifies as schadenfreude.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

Stare-Out posted:

Having watched the debate today, I feel more like it's less Bill Nye winning and more Ken Ham losing spectacularly. It was agonizing and I guess qualifies as schadenfreude.

I don't feel like Bill was there to debate Ham, the time he spent on the flood and ark seemed much shorter than the time he spent on making science seem cool, namedropping Sagan, and talking about being a Boeing engineer and riding his motorcycle. I think he probably showed up to talk about the importance science education in a place that desperately needs it. Hopefully he got through to some of the kids watching and moderate Kentucky voters.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Agreed it was Ken Ham's debate to lose. Really dropped the ball on proving creationism.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So some personal schadenfreude, I fell over a knee high fence this week. It was pitch black and the fence was black, and since I was paying more attention to my phone than to my path I nearly went arse over tit.

I have some gorgeous bruises though. Very nice shade of green.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Shnag posted:

cat schadenfreude

Oh, sweet. An excuse to post this video again! :dance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tctY8ntGx_M

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Novum posted:

Agreed it was Ken Ham's debate to lose. Really dropped the ball on proving creationism.

Doesn't his fake museum get all the proceeds either way, though?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

LeJackal posted:

Pretty much. He was never actually trained in water rescue, so imagine 70 pounds of dog diving in blindly and grabbing hold of whatever limb he can find and desperately dragging you to the sunning deck. Its all blind stupid instinct and kinda scary for the kids, and they can get a scratched up by his claws when he swims. :( Though at least I don't have to worry about one of the kids drowning if we'd not around.

What is adorable is when the terrier will try to attack the fountains, and the Newfie will go "protect" him by just picking him up in his mouth and swimming him to the other side of the pool. :3: They are that different in size.
Newfies are notorious for their bullshit heroics.

Saved, 1856

Fuckers act like they're so selfless, saving children and all. I see right through 'em.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Whatev posted:

Newfies are notorious for their bullshit heroics.

Saved, 1856

Fuckers act like they're so selfless, saving children and all. I see right through 'em.

Its all a conspiracy by the LIEberal media and Reptiloids to inflate the reputation of these furry bastards.

Some Obvious Illuminati Plant posted:

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18, 1808.

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honours none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one -- and here he lies.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
Wait, you can get white newfoundlands?

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Hah I love stuff like this, nice find!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Wait, you can get white newfoundlands?

I was under the impression that Canada was founded by the British, so I'd assume that most would be white

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

If any of you have a half-hour to kill, the full version is loving amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5XSWDQz2xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs3Fo9e_IU4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uinb4tgDQBg

Also, the Canadian national anthem reminded me of this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viE3JS5gaA0

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

TheSpiritFox posted:

This totally qualifies.

As much as I enjoy Ken Ham being shown up, polls like this are really meaningless unless you also poll the people before they watched the debate.

Speaking of debates with really devastating polls, I love the ending to this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtuD2CKY-U
(I also love all the other parts of it)

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Rondette posted:

There's some fun to be had from this site - http://www.justbeforeimpact.com/ - photos of Bad Things about to happen or happening

:yayclod:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

:staredog:

Wh-- Why does this chick's face look like some horrifying amalgamation of Nick Cage and Sylvester Stallone?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

DontMockMySmock posted:

As much as I enjoy Ken Ham being shown up, polls like this are really meaningless unless you also poll the people before they watched the debate.

There's this book you see...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^lol^ that was a funny "burn" but it just weakened his case to anyone who hasn't completely drank the koolaid.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm saying no matter how long you debate a deluded person, you will NEVER make him change his mind.
And he said as much quite explicitly. Public debates like that aren't for convincing the other guy, they're for convincing the audience.

Bill even addressed the audience directly multiple times.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's not about meanginful statistics it's about the fact that Ken Ham knows he was made to look like an idiot and even if there aren't any numbers to post about it there are tons of Christians scrambling to disavow his view of the bible.

There are Christians posting on his facebook page telling him that Genesis isn't literal. Glorifying God and a metaphorical interpretation of the bible. Because it's Christian on Christian they're back and forthing with condescension and "You need to come back to the true Christianity" at each other and it's loving beautiful to watch from the outside.

:Edit:

And /r/Atheism probably

TheSpiritFox has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Feb 6, 2014

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TheSpiritFox posted:

:Edit:

And /r/Atheism probably
Wow, that took a turn from what seemed like some auto-generated "stop posting vulgar things pretty please" Facebook thing to "oh well obviously it's all atheists and evolutionists being assholes instead of just assholes being assholes pray to jesus everyone and submit yo"

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
"Two Idiots Jump From Roof onto a Table"

Really not sure what they were trying to accomplish here.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Piell posted:

It's far, far more than 1% in the US, it's actually about 1/3 of people who don't believe in evolution.

Unfortunately, it's more like 2/3. According to a Gallup poll in 2012, only 39% of Americans believe in evolution. Something like 1/4 believe that the sun rotates around the Earth.

And plenty of churches believe in creationism, even if it's not the denomination's official doctrine. I grew up an unaffiliated Baptist that constantly harped on complete and total creationism; the church fired a youth pastor once for offhandedly saying that maybe intelligent design was true. We also believed crazy poo poo like, "The Earth is perfectly placed in the universe by God. If it was shifted only a single foot in any direction in space, gravity would increase to the point that it would take the force of a tractor to move your arm." I'm not even sure how anyone over the age of five could believe that.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

the last signal... posted:

"Two Idiots Jump From Roof onto a Table"

Really not sure what they were trying to accomplish here.

Backyard Wrestling.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Preem Palver posted:

Unfortunately, it's more like 2/3. According to a Gallup poll in 2012, only 39% of Americans believe in evolution. Something like 1/4 believe that the sun rotates around the Earth.

And plenty of churches believe in creationism, even if it's not the denomination's official doctrine. I grew up an unaffiliated Baptist that constantly harped on complete and total creationism; the church fired a youth pastor once for offhandedly saying that maybe intelligent design was true. We also believed crazy poo poo like, "The Earth is perfectly placed in the universe by God. If it was shifted only a single foot in any direction in space, gravity would increase to the point that it would take the force of a tractor to move your arm." I'm not even sure how anyone over the age of five could believe that.

I remember that poll. If I remember correctly the 39% are the proportion who believe in secular scientific evolution. There is another like 30% of the population that do not have any problems with the scientific model of evolution but simply say that it's "Guided" aka intelligent design. So, I mean, yeah there are people who bring God into it there's still really 2/3 of the population who accept evolution exactly as science presents it and tack on "Because God" as an afterthought so it meshes with their worldview.

I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school and this is exactly how it was presented to me there in the early 90s. The Big Bang was "let there be light" and Genesis is a metaphor because we're too small to truly understand God so he dumbed it down for us and evolution is God's way of creating new species and such.

It's not perfect, but it's also not "2/3 of Americans believe evolution is complete bullshit"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Shnag posted:

cat schadenfreude

These three images are tens of thousands of times better than the two pages of evolution/creation stuff. :cripes:

The forklift is not a toy
Just tilt straight back!

Three-Phase has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Feb 6, 2014

• Locked thread