Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

Really? drat. Well, I hope the years have mellowed him out.

He's putting up snippets of the book here - he's still calling himself "Satyros Phil Brucato" but he seems alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."
The new By Night Masquerade books are doing a way better job of updating the setting than Anarchs Unbound. And they did indeed canonize Bloodlines. Even if you're not into LARPing, you should liberally steal from their setting update if you're running a Masquerade game not set in the 90s.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Bigup DJ posted:

He's putting up snippets of the book here - he's still calling himself "Satyros Phil Brucato" but he seems alright.

I'm concerned with how he's going to handle the Technocracy - has he accepted that most people find the more ambivalent Revised version to be more interesting or is he pushing for the technological monsters of earlier takes? All I can seem to find is him asking if HIT Marks should be in the M20 corebook.

Exrandu posted:

The new By Night Masquerade books are doing a way better job of updating the setting than Anarchs Unbound. And they did indeed canonize Bloodlines. Even if you're not into LARPing, you should liberally steal from their setting update if you're running a Masquerade game not set in the 90s.

Where do I get these?

Exrandu
Jan 31, 2014

"Things need not have happened to be true."

Lightning Lord posted:

Where do I get these?

Same place you get everything! Drive Thru RPG!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm concerned with how he's going to handle the Technocracy - has he accepted that most people find the more ambivalent Revised version to be more interesting or is he pushing for the technological monsters of earlier takes?

Everything I can find about M20, including the gigantic page count, seems to suggest the answer to all of these edition-based questions is "yes, all of them"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm concerned with how he's going to handle the Technocracy - has he accepted that most people find the more ambivalent Revised version to be more interesting or is he pushing for the technological monsters of earlier takes? All I can seem to find is him asking if HIT Marks should be in the M20 corebook.

Where do I get these?

Drive Thru RPG has the PDF. The physical books are coming soon. The PDFs came out early to get lots of eyes on them so they could get the first round of corrections and errata in the first printing of physical books. The biggest thing I've seen so far is that in the original text literally any violation of Elysium basically screws the entire domain (dumping the brutal Disgraced status on everybody), but they updated it a day or two ago to say that that only happens if the offender isn't punished, which is far more reasonable.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Exrandu posted:

What new By Night books? Can I get a link? I seriously don't see new ones on Drive Thru.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 1, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The new LARP rules are Mind's Eye Theatre: Vampire: the Masquerade by By Night Studios.

I'm not sure what new books Onyx Path have put yet, though they've taken over as publisher for the OWOD and other WW game lines, and they've got a bunch of new stuff coming out fairly soon.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

So, anybody have feelings about the new By Night Studios LARP rules? The Cam's all but announced that we're switching to it in March and the mailing lists are a flurry of arguments, though I suppose that's hardly new.

They're pretty cool. We playtested them, and had a lot of fun. Overall they're a great improvement, but there were 2 issues that I had:

1: Combo disciplines are vastly underpowered compared to elder powers - most of the good combos have become clan specific merits or ability add-ons to the discipline levels, leaving the remaining lame ones as actual combos. This means the aspect where elders get (scary powerful) elder disciplines being balanced by neonates getting combos is not remotely balanced - I was playing an elder in the playtest and more or less stomped all over everything with True Love and instant pre-emptive Majesty, and combos were largely irrelevant. One solution might be houseruling allowing people to buy ability add-ons as combo disciplines - dunno.

2: Capped merit points. Merits are vastly more powerful than anything else - everyone will take 7 points in character creation. The problem comes in with long running games - many of the merits are related to character development. I think an almost necessary house rule would be slowly increasing the merit cap as you play the character, maybe one point per year or something. That way if someone after 4 years of play is being mentored by a creepy guy on a path, they can pick up the path over time. Or they can learn some of the powers that used to be combos, or a Setite who started out a warrior cultist type, but has slowly taken over after 3 or 4 years of play, can develop a cult around him. That sort of thing.

The willpower recovery system is a little problematic - it works like "RP Nods", except that instead of happening at the end of game they happen at any time. So the usual circlejerk of "we had an awesome scene I can't tell people about" now gets you your retests back. This means after every fight, the scary combat guys will go chat with their friends in the car outside, have an "awesome scene", and head back in for more. But overall making retests more expensive and rare definitely speeds things up. It meant combat didn't really run more than 3 rounds - one side or the other started to run low on retests and ran away.

Yessod fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 1, 2014

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Daeren posted:

Last I checked, he was heading up the M20 rewrite.

This is true. He has consulted with a number of people (including me) but this is his project.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

DG would work well with Hunter but I'm not sure that it would work well IN Hunter. Maybe one of the modern ones would, but we know gently caress all about them.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 2, 2014

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm working on an "After the End" WoD game where the various gameline ends happened and wrecked the world into a post-apocalyptic state. What exactly happened is unclear and up to the characters to discover, if they want. I realized when I was reading around that this would be a perfect way to combine the best aspects of Old and New WoD. For example, fragmenting the Camarilla and Sabbat into new, smaller sects, getting rid of Generation and introducing Blood Potency, probably because the Antediluvians were either destroyed or left the Earth, etc. I'm probably going to go with the NWoD system using the various translation guides.

Does anyone have any ideas I should use? Is this a fool's errand?

I've got a soft spot for House Fortunae, from the Order of Hermes Tradition book. If you're going to use the Traditions with nMage rules, you could do worse than elevating these guys to a full Tradition of Chaos-theory numerologists and giving them Fate and letting the Euthanatos keep Death. It talks about how their goal is to become a full Tradition in the book, and for some reason that idea has stuck with me for a long time.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I've decided that because I mostly want to focus on setting, in the end to use V20. Other than setting changes, I've decided to leave most things the same mechanically. However, there's one mechanic that needs to change for the setting I'm building. Generation. I've decided to replace it with Blood Potency. Caine and the Antediluvians have been mystically severed from their clans (Whether this means they've been destroyed or not is one of the mysteries of the post-Gehenna world) so the generation of a vampire is meaningless. Is it a smooth slot out, replace all mentions of Generation with BP and it'll work, or is there anything else to consider?

Gilok posted:

I've got a soft spot for House Fortunae, from the Order of Hermes Tradition book. If you're going to use the Traditions with nMage rules, you could do worse than elevating these guys to a full Tradition of Chaos-theory numerologists and giving them Fate and letting the Euthanatos keep Death. It talks about how their goal is to become a full Tradition in the book, and for some reason that idea has stuck with me for a long time.

I'll keep this in mind. I'm not sure I will fully use nMage rules, but the idea of Mages who focus in one specialty of a Sphere over another is cool.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Everyone needs to watch the season 2 episode of Millennium 'Somehow Satan Got Behind Me'. It stands pretty much alone, and it's basically this: Four demons in a donut shop, quietly talking about how they're working to corrupt the world. It's hilarious.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 3, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Pretty much the whole of Millennium is good watching, even at its worst.

I'm surprised they got a lot of that stuff on TV.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

moths posted:

Pretty much the whole of Millennium is good watching, even at its worst.

I'm surprised they got a lot of that stuff on TV.

Yeah, parts of season one especially seem like they shouldn't have made it past the censors. On one hand, I'd be curious to see what might have been if say, HBO, had done the show. On the other, I'm not actually sure it would have been much different at all, it's already so transgressive. Maybe more tits, but that'd be about it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think what made some of the ideas and images more horrific is that we didn't get to see them onscreen, or only had glimpses of them. HBO would have shown the guy in the pilot getting his eyes and mouth sewn closed, and it would have been reduced to "yet another gory visual." (Instead of something that still creeps me out all these years later.) You get the Psycho effect, where you remember it as the worst thing you literally imagined.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Anybody got advice for running Masquerade LARPs? I've just taken over the local one and it's been a ton of work and preparation since the former ST was about as useful as a Zippo in Hell.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Pope Guilty posted:

Anybody got advice for running Masquerade LARPs? I've just taken over the local one and it's been a ton of work and preparation since the former ST was about as useful as a Zippo in Hell.

"Don't"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Get a couple of reliable level headed assistant storytellers. I would say one for every 5-10 people there are in the game but not too many. Brainstorm and share the load together. Get a good idea of what you want for the game and the setting but don't be too concrete on the setting. Restrict rare stuff and independents. If the game is already hosed, don't be afraid to reboot the game while allowing the players to start with whatever xp they already had. Avoid crossover and don't get too big. Keep things small and localized.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Get a couple of reliable level headed assistant storytellers. I would say one for every 5-10 people there are in the game but not too many. Brainstorm and share the load together. Get a good idea of what you want for the game and the setting but don't be too concrete on the setting. Restrict rare stuff and independents. If the game is already hosed, don't be afraid to reboot the game while allowing the players to start with whatever xp they already had. Avoid crossover and don't get too big. Keep things small and localized.

This is tremendously good advice. Masquerade games have a tendency to bloat worse than a Marvel plot arch and become completely incomprehensible in much the same way. Think like a TV show, with multiple competing plot arches evolving over the course of a season and then resolving. Don't think of everything in terms of how easy or hard it is to resolve; resist the temptation to constantly throw 'boss' NPCs at the players just because all of them can gloss over a social or physical obstacle in a single afternoon. This is especially true in Masquerade because for some reason every game seems to have 5+ elders more powerful than all the PCs combined, and that's totally not necessary or fun for the game to work.

Look to the players for ideas on new plots but never ever pin an important plot to one player. LARPs are infamous for flakeouts and besides players are competing for your (the ST's) attention. Constantly battling the impression of favoritism is a real thing.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I just spent a solid 7 hours putting together enough content for a single session in what will end up being a Mage Chronicle, and i'm not sure how to reconcile that fact with the feeling that 90% of all that will be tossed out the window within moments of the PCs smashing against it. This is my first time DMing, and it's going to be a hell of a time. :ohdear:

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

klapman posted:

I just spent a solid 7 hours putting together enough content for a single session in what will end up being a Mage Chronicle, and i'm not sure how to reconcile that fact with the feeling that 90% of all that will be tossed out the window within moments of the PCs smashing against it. This is my first time DMing, and it's going to be a hell of a time. :ohdear:

Welcome to mage! Roll with the punches, and be reassured that once you get the hang of your players' characters, you'll end up throwing out less and less plot.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Any encounters that your players avoid can always be reworked for later, and your players can be a pretty good source of inspiration.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Remember, any plot point that was so utterly skipped that the players never caught wind of it can easily be tweaked and placed back into the story later on, if it's still worth using. In addition, if your players are that magical kind of player that freely goes "Oh man, I hope this isn't [x]" or "You know what? I bet this is [x]," you can steal their good ideas with wild abandon and make them feel smart for "calling it."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Also, it's genuinely fun to creatively use your magic powers to trump or bypass things that looked like they'd be serious problems. Snapping your fingers and ordering the corpse to tell you where that stab wound came from is part of the fantasy of being a mage.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Using Space and Death to make the knife an anchor of the victim's ghost and then ordering said ghost to lead you to the knife is even more so.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Error 404 posted:

Using Space and Death to make the knife an anchor of the victim's ghost and then ordering said ghost to lead you to the knife is even more so.

I hope when that happened, you went "Is this a dagger I see before me?"

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

klapman posted:

That's a reasonable fear. Mage (Awakening and Ascension both) are essentially "Obstacle Bypass: the Game." As an ST I found the most essential preparation bits were:
  • Know your NPCs. If you know their motivations and abilities you can adapt better.
  • Know where your Chronicle is heading. It's good to take ques from the PCs when you're stumped, though. Try to move things slowly in the proper direction, taking detours when the players find something fun they want to explore.
  • Have a couple of weird occult things prepared. Players might be able to bypass almost any obstacle you put up but, on the other hand, they can't help but investigate every mystery you lay down.
  • Mage, more than any other game, is about how to succeed, not about whether or not you do. Try not to plan around players failing or accomplishing something at a specific pace because they won't do what you expect.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Dave B posted this on the whit-wolf forums, and I thought some of you might be interested

Dave B on the white wolf forums posted:

Awakening has three thematic principles to bear in mind when thinking about the magic system

- Mages are the Mental monsters. Although they can (and should!) be able to snap-fire spells, especially as they get more powerful, they should be far more effective when they have time to prepare and plan their spells out.

- As mages grow more powerful, their experiences and the sheer amount of magic they've internalised drive them into increasingly alien perspectives and capabilities

- There's a giant grey area between "what a mage can cast" and "what is safe for a mage to cast". Paradox isn't a punishment, it's a risk you take for more power.

How do these manifest in the game? Well, we're not ready to show you the magic system yet. But -

- Every dot of every Arcanum will provide an Attainment, seperate and alongside the Legacy Attainments you get for Gnosis. They're mostly things that used to be spells but didn't act entirely like spells, and will seem familiar - Mage Sight, Mage Armor, Summoning, things like "Unbound Fate", "spell trigger", and "can use sympathetic range", and Rote Creation. They're all template abilities that your Arcana attainments "unlock" - a given mage has her Mage Sight, which she can add new Arcana to as she learns them, because the first Arcanum Attainment is always "can use in Mage Sight".

- The no-longer spell systems encourage Mana use. Mage Sight in particular will be your main Mana expenditure in most games.

- There's a new thing between Rotes (spell imagos a Master can compile, then teach to younger mages) and improvised spells, to represent spells you're personally specialised in. If you make your own Legacy, your Legacy Attainments get built out of them.

- The change to the Magical Tool rules is kind of like the change from Ascension 1st ed to 2nd ed, in a case of history repeating itself. You can use anything appropriate to the spell or your Path as a Tool (and get a [redacted mehcanical benefit], but only your dedicated tool gives the [redacted]. Sometimes, you'll want to use a different non-dedicated but more relevant tool because the [redacted] outweighs the [redacted].

- You risk Paradox when you exceed your safe casting limits. Absorbing a Paradox backlash as damage requires you to contest the Paradox roll with your Wisdom. If you don't attempt to absorb it, you'll get an external Paradox like a Havoc or Anomaly. If you do try but fail to convert all the Paradox successes to damage, you'll get one that actually affects you, like a current Branding or Bedlam. So, you're mechanically encouraged to just let Paradoxes fly because they won't hurt you, but doing that provokes Wisdom checks as you screw everyone around you. Decisions, decisions...

- After losing a Wisdom dot because of a spell you cast, you can declare that it no longer causes Wisdom loss (much like a Blood & Smoke vampire can pick up a Bane to prevent Humanity loss from a particular cause). However, that spell is now always vulgar.

- Mage's "aura" mechanic is called "Nimbus" - the unconcious affect your mage has on the Fallen world around her, and her mantle of power she can uncloak, Gandalf-style. Your Nimbus' strength is determined by your Gnosis, while how far it speads is determined by how low your Wisdom is. Shadow Names "ground" your Nimbus into places and people associated with your magical identity rather than your mundane one - if you're a high-Gnosis, low-Wisdom Moros, having a Shadow Name is the difference between your Sanctum or your family getting haunted.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

That all sounds pretty cool. I'm looking forward to this book. :)

Also, I realize this is old news, but what is this I don't even

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
That Mage stuff sounds very cool. Two misgivings:

-Mage Sight should be cheap and spells expensive, not vice versa. Expanded awareness is the core of being a mage - in my game, you actually have to spend WP to turn your Mage Sight off for a scene, and e.g. the cabal's Moros can no longer stomach hot dogs since he can't help but see (and smell and potentially taste; Mage "Sight" hits all senses) what's really in them.

-Casting preemptive rather than reactive magic, especially when that preemptive magic takes the form of hours-long rituals performed in your basement, is super boring. The fun of an improvised magic ststem is in coming up with neat spells on the spot. There's definitely a place for "okay let's cast the ritual of poison immunity before descending into the spider dungeon" but you want to be real careful about making that stuff really strong or omnipresent.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gilok posted:

Also, I realize this is old news, but what is this I don't even

It's exactly what it says it is: a Werewolf: The Apocalypse themed cookbook.

During the W20 kickstarter, we were batting ideas back and forth for stretch goals. I'd been joking with some mates about what recipes would match each Werewolf tribe, since I love to cook, and I joked to Rich that we could include a W20 Cookbook as a stretch goal. He only went and put it up as an option, so here it is.

All the recipes are suitable-for-humans — as in, I've cooked them all for friends and family. They've got notes for vegetarian/vegan/gluten/nut-safe modifications, because I kinda want people to cook them. I have a tiny kitchen and not much equipment, so that's also true of the recipes in the book.

It's just, y'know, Werewolf-y.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The Mage20 Delux kickstarter better have a stretch-goal for a book full of occult-themed brainteasers and crossword puzzles and poo poo :argh:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Oh, yeah, here's a third misgiving: if spellcasting itself is potentially a Wisdom sin, there needs to be an obvious underlying logic that allows improvised magic of any Arcanum to be fairly classed as harmful to Wisdom or safe to cast, and there needs to be thought put into whether Wisdom also, separately, gets dinged if you act conventionally evil.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I like that they're cracking open Rotes & Magical Tools to make mages more differentiated than a Gnosis blergh with Arcanum vlagh that only gets altered by their legacy choice, if that.

edit: also giving a more important mechanical weight to the X-Men codename is very welcome.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 6, 2014

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Does this cookbook include anything of value for the Project?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Loomer posted:

Do you even sleep?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Ferrinus posted:

That Mage stuff sounds very cool. Two misgivings:

-Mage Sight should be cheap and spells expensive, not vice versa. Expanded awareness is the core of being a mage - in my game, you actually have to spend WP to turn your Mage Sight off for a scene, and e.g. the cabal's Moros can no longer stomach hot dogs since he can't help but see (and smell and potentially taste; Mage "Sight" hits all senses) what's really in them.

-Casting preemptive rather than reactive magic, especially when that preemptive magic takes the form of hours-long rituals performed in your basement, is super boring. The fun of an improvised magic ststem is in coming up with neat spells on the spot. There's definitely a place for "okay let's cast the ritual of poison immunity before descending into the spider dungeon" but you want to be real careful about making that stuff really strong or omnipresent.

I'm just glad they're putting an impetus to use mana in. All of it sounds really interesting and I can't wait to get ahold of this book.

Loomer posted:

'Things Your Sons of Ether Friends Ask' for $500, Alex.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Loomer posted:

It's meant to be an in-universe document, so unfortunately yes. There's a POV character named Pete Quire, who mentions various septs and characters he visits around the world to learn about Garou cuisine. My favorite part is the Red Talon chapter where he talks about the serious political implications of hyper-intelligent wolves learning to cook meat.

• Locked thread