Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Put it in the temp folder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

KoRMaK posted:

Put it in the outlook deleted items folder!

Fixed that for you.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Please don't do this. If your old employer are as bad as you say, they could come after you. Besides, leaving them with a hunk of random information with no organization is so much better. Or let them delete it when they reimage your machine.

This; don't be the one to DBAN the DC, let a higher-level incompetent (but I repeat myself) decommission it without warning.

5 PM (Pacific) Friday I disappear for ten full days (5 days PTO, 5 days weekends/holiday); I fully expect to return to a scene recreating anything from present-day Detroit all the way up to Berlin in late May '45. :ohdear: Seems that covering my job (which usually takes about 1.5 people normally) will be not just "part time" ("They have *their* jobs to do, too!"), but a different person each day! (Continuity? Never heard of it...)

If it's as bad as I suspect it'll be, I rather expect my first offical on-duty business will be dropping a two-week notice. Luckily, payroll has yet to divine the mystic art of "stopping PTO accrual when maximum reached", so I have 470 hours to cash out. :sperg: (After my scheduled PTO, at that.)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Do the right thing. Gather up all the documentation onto your work PC. Start organizing it, try to do a good job, let someone in management know what you're doing via email and bcc yourself. If you finish before they let you go, good job! If you don't, oh well, you've let them know where the documentation is.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do the right thing. Gather up all the documentation onto your work PC. Start organizing it, try to do a good job, let someone in management know what you're doing via email and bcc yourself. If you finish before they let you go, good job! If you don't, oh well, you've let them know where the documentation is.

lol gently caress this

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

lol gently caress this

Honestly yeah. There's one person here who i might want to help out after i go, and i gave him copies of it. I just took everyone's advice and have been randomly uploading it to different internal SP sites. And i also have it about 40 folders deep in my temp directory.

I have a fun meeting in 45 minutes. I've already been told it's gonna be the one where they try to get me not to quit. Should be some entertaining bullshit if nothing else!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Loose Ifer posted:

Honestly yeah. There's one person here who i might want to help out after i go, and i gave him copies of it. I just took everyone's advice and have been randomly uploading it to different internal SP sites. And i also have it about 40 folders deep in my temp directory.

I have a fun meeting in 45 minutes. I've already been told it's gonna be the one where they try to get me not to quit. Should be some entertaining bullshit if nothing else!
Did you double up on your anti-anxiety meds? Er, like 1.5x up? Go into that meeting and see how far you can push their boundaries.

It's good practice for later.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Go in and ask for a 50% raise and another week of vacation.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Go in and ask for a 50% raise and another week of vacation.

Er, at least a 100% raise, and access to the executive washroom.

Also hourly instead of Salary.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Agrikk posted:

Don't forget using it as a Gantt chart. Updating someone's bastard Excel Gantt chart with a new task or adjusting deadlines of dependencies is a private little joy of mine.

I was once tasked with making a Gantt chart out of excel for a development team. I created a behemoth with something like 30-40 color coding rules, and 7k individual cells that had something like 9 lines of formula code each.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

Did you double up on your anti-anxiety meds? Er, like 1.5x up? Go into that meeting and see how far you can push their boundaries.

It's good practice for later.

I mean I've already got a silly list of demands that i submitted to HR this morning which they said will be covered in the meeting. I know they haven't even looked at them yet, otherwise i doubt they would be taking me seriously at this point.

One of them was that the guy who sits behind me be transferred to the level 1 help desk because he farts too much and doesn't say excuse me.

Another good one, 'i be allowed to put a sign up on my cube that has a 'black list' of people who aren't allowed to talk to me because it causes me too much stress.'

They're kind of silly, but i'm 100% serious i won't stay unless these conditions have been met.

And yeah, i'm asking for a 10k a year bump and my own office.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Loose Ifer posted:

I mean I've already got a silly list of demands that i submitted to HR this morning which they said will be covered in the meeting. I know they haven't even looked at them yet, otherwise i doubt they would be taking me seriously at this point.

One of them was that the guy who sits behind me be transferred to the level 1 help desk because he farts too much and doesn't say excuse me.

Another good one, 'i be allowed to put a sign up on my cube that has a 'black list' of people who aren't allowed to talk to me because it causes me too much stress.'

They're kind of silly, but i'm 100% serious i won't stay unless these conditions have been met.

I'd do one thing better: go on record in that interview and link the ER visit to your manager's beration. "I cannot work here so long as %manager% does; I'm literally feeling %physical reaction of panic attack% having him in the same room. My doctor has advised me that I can't work under him."

They'll let you go, of course, but there'll be an eyebrow cast upon him and his performance if you at least tell the honest truth that points to this guy as an rear end in a top hat.

My last boss threw me into anxiety. Therapist and meds. For months I thought I was the worst sysadmin on the planet because of his poor management style (and, admittedly, me having trouble coping with it). I was there for a year and realized that the old adage rang true: "if you think you're an rear end in a top hat, first make sure you aren't surrounded by assholes."

2nding the throw-to-the-four-winds methodology of documentation as well.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I was once tasked with making a Gantt chart out of excel for a development team. I created a behemoth with something like 30-40 color coding rules, and 7k individual cells that had something like 9 lines of formula code each.

Do you just use project for Gantts then?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Only 10k a year? Come-on son!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Loose Ifer posted:

I'm living vicariously through you right now. I got to do something similar at my last job, but it was literally "Company X is offering me double what I'm making here", "Oh, well, we'd love for you to stay but we can't offer you more than 1/3rd of that because you'd be making more than your boss otherwise", "Yeah figured, see ya later".

Having a full meeting with HR involved sounds like it would be hilarious.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

MJP posted:

I'd do one thing better: go on record in that interview and link the ER visit to your manager's beration. "I cannot work here so long as %manager% does; I'm literally feeling %physical reaction of panic attack% having him in the same room. My doctor has advised me that I can't work under him."

They'll let you go, of course, but there'll be an eyebrow cast upon him and his performance if you at least tell the honest truth that points to this guy as an rear end in a top hat.

My last boss threw me into anxiety. Therapist and meds. For months I thought I was the worst sysadmin on the planet because of his poor management style (and, admittedly, me having trouble coping with it). I was there for a year and realized that the old adage rang true: "if you think you're an rear end in a top hat, first make sure you aren't surrounded by assholes."

This is the appropriate course of action.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Loose Ifer posted:

That "blacklist" one might actually be realistic, along with mentions of a workers comp (not saying that you should pursue it) situation due to hostile workplace. Like this person is saying:

MJP posted:

Have fun!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Loose Ifer posted:

I hope they give in to your demands, because that would be great to see in a contract.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I just realized that some person's chronic flatulence is a documented complaint.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I hope they give in to your demands, because that would be great to see in a contract.

I'm not gonna file workers compensation, but i do have HR coming to the first part of the meeting to discuss my 'demands'. then the manager is joining later, and they'll be able to see how my entire personality changes when there's someone like him around me. And knowing me, i just might exaggerate a little bit ha.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

KoRMaK posted:

I just realized that some person's chronic flatulence is a documented complaint.

I actually had to go to HR because my manager told me to get over it. But seriously, this dude poo poo's his pants 4-5 times a day.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tell the guy to get some candles.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Tell the guy to get some candles.
Do you want the place to explode? It's a methane rich environment. Or it's just stinky sulfur.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Geop posted:

"what is screnshut"

:suicide:

I like how he spells exactly how you'd expect him to sound with his accent

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Geop posted:

"what is screnshut"

:suicide:

I think the correct gif for this situation is :commissar:

Darwin would agree.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

KoRMaK posted:

It's not even the most well known case: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/coworkers-attacked-by-gas-645132

Honestly, it might seem hilariously petty at first glance but if you actually think about it, being exposed to someone's constant, unabated flatulence would be incredibly disgusting and create a hostile environment for anyone being forced to work in it. It would be the same as having to work near someone with terrible body odor or personal hygiene. It's absolutely a legitimate complaint.

Covering up the smell with a bunch of scented candles would just make it worse. Before moving to my new office, I sat about 5ft away from a single-stall bathroom. People would go in there and take a poo poo, which was bad enough, but then they would douse the place with excessive amounts of air freshener. Those two smells mixed together were so bad I would have to actually walk away from my office for 10-15min at a time. It would get in your mouth and you could taste it. I started stealing the cans of Febreeze every time it got replaced and throwing it away secretly. Goddamn, it makes me want to retch just remembering it.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Agrikk posted:

Don't forget using it as a Gantt chart. Updating someone's bastard Excel Gantt chart with a new task or adjusting deadlines of dependencies is a private little joy of mine.

This is usually a symptom of IT policies that "only people in $role at at least grade X get project/visio as they're expensive. Everyone else gets Office Standard."

poo poo that pisses me off: When someone who does have those apps then sends out a Project or Visio document. Not so bad these days as the Visio viewer is free but back then it wasn't and these were unreadable, but we still had to act on them.

This is the same company that decided I wasn't high enough grade to have Corel Draw on my machine so they removed it, losing me access to all my old documentation and no way to re-create it. The official solution for people needing to do diagrams, flow charts etc. was to use Powerpoint! I just stopped documenting.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

And then whenever you smell the same air freshener anywhere else you get a gag reflex. Same thing happened to me after my university residence tried to cover up the smell of a dude who killed himself. I still can't stand the smell of whatever that particular lemon scented cleaning product is.

Speaking of Excel, how do you get people from friggin' Finance to stop calling with questions about it? Maybe I'm just too polite, but I keep telling them I'm no Excel whiz and they should ask their manager for training.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The problem is budgets. People ask me for Project all the time. I tell them that I need manager approval and an account number to charge the license to. If they absolutely need it then I get the info pretty quick.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

odiv posted:

Speaking of Excel, how do you get people from friggin' Finance to stop calling with questions about it? Maybe I'm just too polite, but I keep telling them I'm no Excel whiz and they should ask their manager for training.

We purchased a yearly sub to the Office pack of CBT Nuggets. Works great.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

GreenNight posted:

We purchased a yearly sub to the Office pack of CBT Nuggets. Works great.

Got a link for these? We get occasional calls from heavy Excel users complaining about instability and slowness. We can only tell them "you're working with linked Excel documents that have existed for longer than you've worked here, you're lucky the whole thing doesn't delete itself when you edit a cell" so many times before we want to wrap the phone cords around our necks and pull.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

hihifellow posted:

Got a link for these? We get occasional calls from heavy Excel users complaining about instability and slowness. We can only tell them "you're working with linked Excel documents that have existed for longer than you've worked here, you're lucky the whole thing doesn't delete itself when you edit a cell" so many times before we want to wrap the phone cords around our necks and pull.

Well, training videos won't help those sorts of issues. Here's the link though:

http://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/office-nuggets-library

It's a floating license, so you can create 40 accounts but only 1 can be logged in at a time.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Hah hah hah holy poo poo. So you basically wrote MS Project in Excel, then?

MJP posted:

Totally do this. This is basically saying "I am quitting because of that rear end in a top hat right there" and getting it on record.

Bonus points for the suggestion about leaving all of your documents buried somewhere on your laptop. The sweet schadenfreude of them destroying their own documents is too good to pass up.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Agrikk posted:

Yup. The reasoning behind it was fantastic. The team had a hardass a while before I got there who wielded MS project like an executioner's axe. The team was shellshocked by this and would vehemently push back against any idea presented with project.

The company I was working for when I did this? Microsoft.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Agrikk posted:

Totally do this. This is basically saying "I am quitting because of that rear end in a top hat right there" and getting it on record.

Bonus points for the suggestion about leaving all of your documents buried somewhere on your laptop. The sweet schadenfreude of them destroying their own documents is too good to pass up.

Exactly to both. Double bonus points if you save the documentation in an esoteric binary format for a program that nobody uses before putting it on the network drive.

Then munge the headers so that when they cave and buy the program just to open the file, they get a "corrupted file" error.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

Exactly to both. Double bonus points if you save the documentation in an esoteric binary format for a program that nobody uses before putting it on the network drive.

Then munge the headers so that when they cave and buy the program just to open the file, they get a "corrupted file" error.

Track down the havana bits from VS 2005 era installation and save the documentation as a help 2.0 web page in .hsx

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

odiv posted:

I have never figured this out. I spend a staggering amount of time teaching people to use the basic tools required to do their jobs. I have no idea how some of them get hired.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

guppy posted:

I have never figured this out. I spend a staggering amount of time teaching people to use the basic tools required to do their jobs. I have no idea how some of them get hired.

The bolded part is the answer to the italicized part.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Track down the havana bits from VS 2005 era installation and save the documentation as a help 2.0 web page in .hsx

Only if you can embed screenshots of the documentation as image binaries in it. You don't want them to be able to pull text out of a hex editor, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
An L1 guy came around!

Management sent the L1 guys around to remove local Admin rights to our machines today. Whatever they did, they screwed up on my laptop. Even after a few reboots - just to be sure - I still have full rights to my local machine.

• Locked thread