Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Welp - A7 + 35/2.8 sold. I couldn't get into that camera and I had no faith in Sony. Great IQ from the lens and sensor, poo poo battery life, poo poo charging solution, no lenses, no software updates from Sony, no real roadmap == bail. I'm going back to Fuji. Probably a 23mm + 18-55 + X-E2. Maybe an X100s - haven't decided yet. I should always remember to ignore that Sony exists as a camera manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Third party NPFW-50 batteries and chargers are cheap and the batteries themselves are small. The system (full frame version) is only a few months old so it's not fair to expect immediate firmware updates, especially when the product is far more functional than the X100 was when it first came out. Yes, there are few first-party lenses, but there's a galaxy of inexpensive manual focus lenses that will work wonderfully with it until they do fill out the lineup since you don't have to go searching for "35mm equivalent" lenses because you can use the real deal.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

krooj posted:

Welp - A7 + 35/2.8 sold. I couldn't get into that camera and I had no faith in Sony. Great IQ from the lens and sensor, poo poo battery life, poo poo charging solution, no lenses, no software updates from Sony, no real roadmap == bail. I'm going back to Fuji. Probably a 23mm + 18-55 + X-E2. Maybe an X100s - haven't decided yet. I should always remember to ignore that Sony exists as a camera manufacturer.

The Canada/UK Fuji promotion is supposed to come to US soon.

You can buy individual lens with the 150-250 discounts per Thom Hogan.

quote:

US$200 — X-Pro1 body through end of March
US$200 — X-M1 body or kit through end of March
US$100 — X-A1 kit through end of March
In addition, the following price adjustments were made:

US$600 — X-E1 body
US$800 — X-E1 kit
Starting next week, the following lens rebates will begin:

US$250 — 27mm, 60mm
US$200 — 14mm, 18mm, 55-200mm
US$150 — 23mm, 35mm

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
LOL at anyone that expects a Sony firmware update soon.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HPL posted:

Yes, there are few first-party lenses, but there's a galaxy of inexpensive manual focus lenses that will work wonderfully with it until they do fill out the lineup since you don't have to go searching for "35mm equivalent" lenses because you can use the real deal.

While this is certainly true and is an advantage of many mirrorless systems, it's probably also the most bullshit excuse imaginable for Sony having a terrible lens selection.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
ITT HPL doesnt get Personal Preferences are not universal to his tastes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
ITT: Goons impulse buy expensive gear without doing minimal research and then whine when the manufacturer doesn't tailor corporate plans to their own preferences within one month.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

ITT: Goons impulse buy expensive gear without doing minimal research and then whine when the manufacturer doesn't tailor corporate plans to their own preferences within one month.

I'll admit - I bought it b/c "online reviews" said IQ was stellar, and I got a good deal. Mistakes were made.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

RustedChrome posted:

This pretty much. I have both Fuji and Sony systems and prefer the shots out of my a7r more than the x-e1.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Musket posted:

LOL at anyone that expects a Sony firmware update soon.

I'm sure the A7 will get a update, but knowing Sony it'll be in about a year. I thought most people's issues had to do with lenses more than any software anyway.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm sure the A7 will get a update, but knowing Sony it'll be in about a year. I thought most people's issues had to do with lenses more than any software anyway.

For starters, the camera would chew through batteries, so you'd think that Sony would have done wise things to conserve battery power: nope. Simple options, like the ability to use viewfinder always, except for when image previewing simply didn't exist. Considering Sony's track record, I don't expect a fix like that to ever make it into firmware, either. There were also a bunch of usability issues I had with the body, like the placement of the shutter release. The lack of an aperture ring really irked me, as did the menu system. Don't get me wrong - great IQ - it's just a bunch of small things that got to me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't know about the A7, since I don't own one, but on the NEX switching between finder/screen doesn't really drain that much power, mostly it's the batteries being kinda weak and the actual shutter requiring a lot of power to release.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't know about the A7, since I don't own one, but on the NEX switching between finder/screen doesn't really drain that much power, mostly it's the batteries being kinda weak and the actual shutter requiring a lot of power to release.
I think the point is that you can't switch away from the screen. Screens burn power.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How bad is the battery life in practical terms? If I go out wandering and take a hundred pictures over a couple hours, is my battery going to be dead if I just leave the camera idling? How about if I switch on and off all the time? Shot count under normal conditions?

I would love an A7 as a dive camera. Nauticam has a housing that's compatible with the Nikonos lenses, so for the first time you can get full frame digital with water-contact optics. Obviously once you're underwater you can't change the battery. Would the batteries take an hour or two of intensive video or shooting during a long shallow dive? Would they handle two dives for a full day of diving, or would you need to open up between dives?

The A7 lens lineup is really atrocious and it seems like most of the people I hear of using it are adapting lenses. The Fuji line looks great in comparison. Seems like they've managed to hit the "digital rangefinder" market segment pretty exactly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 6, 2014

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

How bad is the battery life in practical terms? If I go out wandering and take a hundred pictures over a couple hours, is my battery going to be dead if I just leave the camera idling? How about if I switch on and off all the time? Shot count under normal conditions?

I would love an A7 as a dive camera. Nauticam has a housing that's compatible with the Nikonos lenses, so for the first time you can get full frame digital with water-contact optics. Obviously once you're underwater you can't change the battery. Would the batteries take an hour or two of intensive video or shooting during a long shallow dive? Would they handle two dives for a full day of diving, or would you need to open up between dives?

The A7 lens lineup is really atrocious and it seems like most of the people I hear of using it are adapting lenses. The Fuji line looks great in comparison. Seems like they've managed to hit the "digital rangefinder" market segment pretty exactly.

Maybe 200 - 250 shots on one charge? I wouldn't expect more than 45min of video, but that's only a guess - I didn't shoot video with it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Are you guys turning airplane mode on? I did some looking and apparently that has a huge impact on battery life (~300 to 700-1k, reportedly). If that's true that's a good interim fix - it's dumb to ship those features turned on by default, but at least it's fixable.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Are you guys turning airplane mode on? I did some looking and apparently that has a huge impact on battery life (~300 to 700-1k, reportedly). If that's true that's a good interim fix - it's dumb to ship those features turned on by default, but at least it's fixable.

Yes. I always had airplane mode on.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I always have airplane mode on and I get 400-500 shots. More than enough for a day of shooting. I have the EVF on by default, no auto review and I don't chimp or review my photos manually very often.

The only wish I have for firmware would be for the shutter to not be so in love with 1/60 speed when you use aperture priority mode. It's really a non-issue since I can just use shutter priority with manual lenses anyway. I had the X-100 and the X-Pro when they launched and these Sony cameras have nothing like the issues that faced us with those Fuji's. Fuji has done an admirable job of fixing things and meeting customers requests but all of those fixes took years, not days.

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~

RustedChrome posted:

I always have airplane mode on and I get 400-500 shots. More than enough for a day of shooting. I have the EVF on by default, no auto review and I don't chimp or review my photos manually very often.

The only wish I have for firmware would be for the shutter to not be so in love with 1/60 speed when you use aperture priority mode. It's really a non-issue since I can just use shutter priority with manual lenses anyway. I had the X-100 and the X-Pro when they launched and these Sony cameras have nothing like the issues that faced us with those Fuji's. Fuji has done an admirable job of fixing things and meeting customers requests but all of those fixes took years, not days.

You reminded me how in love Fujis are with 1/30 when using any manual lenses.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

RustedChrome posted:

The only wish I have for firmware would be for the shutter to not be so in love with 1/60 speed when you use aperture priority mode.

Can you not set a minimum shutter speed in the auto-ISO?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sadly the 1/60 issue has been a problem forever, I've given up on aperture priority in lowlight with my manual focus lenses.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
Fuji and Sony don't have a minimum shutter speed setting to use with auto iso in aperture priority? My Canons can do it as "auto" (1/FL ) or selectable anywhere from 1/30-1/250 as the minimum allowed before it bumps ISO.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Fuji does, I am not sure about Sony as I never used a Sony cam.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Fuji didn't, despite tons of begging, until late last year.
At least on the X-Pro. I don't know about the other X models.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't know exactly how the Fuji cameras work, but one reason for battery drain on the NEX is because it is always autofocusing, even when you're not taking a shot. It's a sort of cheat to lock focus faster because you're already almost there by the time you half-press the shutter button. I get way less battery life with an AF E-mount lens than with an adapted manual focus lens. On the 5N, I can fill a 16GB card full of raw files on one battery and still have juice left when shooting with a manual focus lens. The constant AF isn't such a bad battery hit when you're shooting in one go like at a concert, but if you have the camera on all day and you're taking a photo here and there and letting the camera auto power off in between, you're going to burn through batteries like gasoline though a Chevy Suburban, so it's sort of a fuzzy thing about how many shots the battery can last.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
If any Canadian peeps are fiendin' for the Fuji 23mm, I snagged a copy last night at Aden Camera for $625 CAD... Really hard to think that this lens launched at $900. I wonder how much margin Fuji has on these things.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

krooj posted:

If any Canadian peeps are fiendin' for the Fuji 23mm, I snagged a copy last night at Aden Camera for $625 CAD... Really hard to think that this lens launched at $900. I wonder how much margin Fuji has on these things.

How did you get it for 625$ says 699 +tax on their website.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

krooj posted:

I called them up. They said 635 canadian for the 14mm in store only. That really piss me off. You Canadian have the best deal. BTW how much is sales tax in Toronto?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I was going to sell my X-Pro 1 for the X-100s but the 1-2 punch of the price drop and the 23mm on sale has me second guessing. Eugh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would be all over the 23 if it wasn't bigger/heavier than the 35. As it stands I just can't justify it right now. Next up will be the 56 I think :swoon:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

whatever7 posted:

I called them up. They said 635 canadian for the 14mm in store only. That really piss me off. You Canadian have the best deal. BTW how much is sales tax in Toronto?

13% :suicide:

e: I think in the states, sales tax will vary by municipality? In Canada it only changes from province to province.

keyframe posted:

How did you get it for 625$ says 699 +tax on their website.

In store. Downtown Toronto camera shops are pretty cutthroat with this stuff. I almost always expect lower than list at one of these places.

krooj fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 7, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh thats higher than the online price then. At lease I can buy online (CA or US) without tax.

I was going to google map the route the Toronto or something.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's on my way home from work. Someone stop me from going in there to try it out or something :suicide:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

krooj posted:

13% :suicide:

e: I think in the states, sales tax will vary by municipality? In Canada it only changes from province to province.

In store. Downtown Toronto camera shops are pretty cutthroat with this stuff. I almost always expect lower than list at one of these places.

Can you post a copy of your receipt so I can take it to the camera shops here in Vancouver and try to have them price match.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

keyframe posted:

Can you post a copy of your receipt so I can take it to the camera shops here in Vancouver and try to have them price match.

PM'd.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thanks!

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!
Concerning Fuji it seems Canada, US and UK are getting the deals no? Dutchy here and I can only get deals for Canon.

Having a X-T1 sent over from Canada to the Netherlands is still 40% cheaper than buying it here, huge difference.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Wengy posted:

I've only held an X100(S) in a store at one point, but my impression was that the GR isn't that much smaller - see here: http://j.mp/Zjedsi#sthash.hH66EjA7.dpuf

I had a chance to play with the GR in a store, very impressed how snappy it feels! Really quick to operate.

It's quite a bit smaller than my x100, and much lighter too. Quite tempted to buy it now - but yeah in a lot of ways it will double up with the x100.

I've been wanting to transition to the X-E range for my main camera (would love to have a macro lens ) but my x100 is a little too beat up to sell at this point :(.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

paberu posted:

I had a chance to play with the GR in a store, very impressed how snappy it feels! Really quick to operate.

It's quite a bit smaller than my x100, and much lighter too. Quite tempted to buy it now - but yeah in a lot of ways it will double up with the x100.

I've been wanting to transition to the X-E range for my main camera (would love to have a macro lens ) but my x100 is a little too beat up to sell at this point :(.

Is your x100 your 'main camera' now? The x100 line does have some macro capability.

I'm trying to decide between getting an x100s and an E-X2 right now. My 'main camera' is a D800 which I love to death, but it's a big, chunky fucker that I'm not going to carry around all the time. I love all the little niceties on the x100s — macro, the leaf shutter, the (relatively) small size, etc. However, the 35mm equivalent lens gives me a little bit of pause — I usually shoot a bit longer than that, and 4 out of 5 times I'm taking portraits. So I start looking at the X-E2, and the 35 and 56, but then all of a sudden I'm at lens ranges and kit sizes that rule out everyday-carry-ability. Stupid indecisiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

thetzar posted:

Is your x100 your 'main camera' now? The x100 line does have some macro capability.

I'm trying to decide between getting an x100s and an E-X2 right now. My 'main camera' is a D800 which I love to death, but it's a big, chunky fucker that I'm not going to carry around all the time. I love all the little niceties on the x100s — macro, the leaf shutter, the (relatively) small size, etc. However, the 35mm equivalent lens gives me a little bit of pause — I usually shoot a bit longer than that, and 4 out of 5 times I'm taking portraits. So I start looking at the X-E2, and the 35 and 56, but then all of a sudden I'm at lens ranges and kit sizes that rule out everyday-carry-ability. Stupid indecisiveness.

The crazy thing is, when you use one of those comparison sites - the x100s isn't that much smaller. I know I pocketed mine all the time in jacket pockets, and don't do the same with my X-E1 though. I've taken roughly 1/3rd less pictures in the same time frame, so my photography is hurting as well. I don't spend most days thinking about how it'd be nice to get the 90mm Bokina, or the 14mm from Fuji - I think of ways to get another x100s because I miss it.