Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rob Ford posted:

Given the source I assumed that, I'm just curious what kind of bullshit snake-oil guitar geeks buy.

stuff like fast fret is just scented mineral oil, which you can get a huge bottle of for like $3, and the thick polyurethane finishes on most guitars don't really need to be polished, just wiped off with a t-shirt or rag once in a blue moon

maybe after years if you got hyperhidrosis your sweat can wear down a finish, but it's more likely friction or belt buckles or something else will do the job first. i remember reading that woody weatherman from corrosion of conformity wore down the finish on an sg from sweat but it took like 10-15 years

quote:

And why do Bigsby's suck? I kinda want a Gretsch. Wikipedia says it's non adjustable so I'm guessing intonation is a bitch, but any other problems?

throws your tuning out of whack if you do anything more than a slight flutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That's a really cool way to make a really ugly instrument.

e- the dipping, that is

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

the process for swirling is pretty neat, though they look really dumb

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

Y'all! I'm a HUGE guitar nerd! Look!

(My dogge isn't sad, dudes)

I came on this thread to poo poo on ugly guitars, not people, and the dual white pickguard acoustic is loving awful. Spraypaint over them if you have to

The rest are honestly pretty inoffensive in comparison.

e: nvm, haven't read all through the thread. Forget the question.

Manky fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 5, 2014

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Manky posted:

I came on this thread to poo poo on ugly guitars, not people, and the dual white pickguard acoustic is loving awful. Spraypaint over them if you have to

The rest are honestly pretty inoffensive but are those three spiky hsh/trem guitars actually the same but just in different paintjobs?

he's answered that poo poo over and over in the most spergy of way already if you just click his post history

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

comes along bort posted:

the process for swirling is pretty neat, though they look really dumb

I look the look, but the problem is do that and you cannot possibly show up to a gig without everyone expecting you to play like Vai.

Gig time game time! Do a set of Van Halen covers with a swirled Ibanez. Spot the guitar player in the audience. He'll be the guy screaming, "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING!?"

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 5, 2014

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

thread just took a turn for the sexy

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Gibson did a limited run of Les Paul Studio's with a swirl finish.

I thought they looked pretty cool, especially the blue one.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

...Psychobilly band (synonymous with being a douchebag).

Gun Club rule sorry.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Gun Club rule sorry.

That dude needs to shut the gently caress up and spend the next hour-and-a-half atoning for his sins by watching Reverend Horton Heat live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl9IzpKctrg

edit: Also I'd never watched that particular performance before, and Jim seems particularly coked-up there. I mean holy poo poo, slow down man.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don't know, I'm not really into goofy cosplay.

unless it's metal.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

Snowy posted:

unless it's metal.

Surely the rarest of metal fans are the self-aware metal fans.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Irradiation posted:

That's duct tape.

Duct tape? Where's the fun in that? I'm not sticking my dick in a glory hole without fear of ripping my dick open, that'd be weird.

I've done this before, it's an awesome way to get a kickin' rad pattern for no effort, it's also pretty easy and cheap to do as well. All you need is a barrel, some detergent (borax is best), some oil paints and a stick. Good fun too.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

unless it's metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VBdAY8eA9w

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxGu5HjarmU

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoczznMM-Sw

I loving love metal.

ThanatosOfOne
Mar 24, 2009

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I look the look, but the problem is do that and you cannot possibly show up to a gig without everyone expecting you to play like Vai.

Gig time game time! Do a set of Van Halen covers with a swirled Ibanez. Spot the guitar player in the audience. He'll be the guy screaming, "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING!?"

I got ya beat. Play punk covers with an 1974 Alembic bass (with a metal pick ,no less) and watch the bass player in the crowd lose his loving mind.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Manky posted:

The rest are honestly pretty inoffensive in comparison.

e: nvm, haven't read all through the thread. Forget the question.

Did you just white-knight Dr. Faustus?

:frogdowns:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
A) I don't think Gun Club are Psychobilly are they? If we're opening up the genre that wide are World Inferno also a psychobilly band (their lead singer does have Vampire teeth)?

B) I've seen Horton Heat live several times and it's a good show, but I still think he's probably a douchebag or an exception to the rule (I guess Unknown Hinson is as well?).

C) While were on the subject of Psychobilly, does Nekroman's bass count for this thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CJcHKMsRk

If his doesn't his wife's sure does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuOe01gb3o0

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Right, a plan; let me put on my slightly larger glasses.
This guitar has a dick

You're in luck, it's for sale.

Rev4n
Sep 27, 2006

Right, a plan; let me put on my slightly larger glasses.
for some reason I typed 'why so serious guitar' into google. Not as fruitful as one would fear!

I found this, which is ugly but mostly meh:

but it was definitely all worth it in the end cuz it led me to this:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

B) I've seen Horton Heat live several times and it's a good show, but I still think he's probably a douchebag or an exception to the rule (I guess Unknown Hinson is as well?).

unknown hinson's just a character though and he's more country than rockabilly or whatever

Rev4n posted:

but it was definitely all worth it in the end cuz it led me to this:

now i really want to see a michael keaton batman guitar

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
hey white dog eggs would it be possible to put a picture of michael keaton on the ultimate guitar? batman or not it doesn't matter

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Saw a Gibson Zoot Suit for the first time the other day, and they actually look pretty cool in person.

I understand if this ruins any potential cred I have in this thread but whatev

PS: jesus loving christ are you guys seriously still baiting Faustus two months later?

Composting Toilet
Oct 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0mOJFvPgYQ

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Radio Help posted:

Saw a Gibson Zoot Suit for the first time the other day, and they actually look pretty cool in person.

Gibson posted:

Species
The body of the Zoot Suit features a brand new body built with multiple birch wood laminate pieces (each one approximately .075” thick), each dyed with a different color then compressed and bonded together to form one solid block of wood. No paint is used. Each body is given two coats of satin nitrocellulose lacquer.

Average Weight
The average weight of a Zoot Suit body is 5.7 lbs, which is slightly heavier than normal but actually creates more balance, a solid feel, and brighter tones that prove compatible with the pickup configuration.

Tonal Characteristics
The solid body yields maximum sustain and enhanced resonance.

Other Materials
The glue is a proprietary Type 1 glue that forms an everlasting bond, and enhances the tonal characteristics of the body.

I actually think they look pretty cool, but birch laminate? That is literally plywood. They are charging $1,999 for a plywood guitar with TONE GLUE FOR SUSTAIN. loving Gibson.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

comes along bort posted:

hey white dog eggs would it be possible to put a picture of michael keaton on the ultimate guitar? batman or not it doesn't matter

I can't think of a single reason not to.

I saw Hecate Enthroned play at a pub in Coventry (I think it might have been the jailhouse? It was ages ago), no one was on the floor because Black Metal ist Kreig no smiling. All of a sudden this drunk middle aged guy throws himself infront of the stage wearing a bin-bag as a cape and screams "I'M loving DRACULA, I'M EVIL BECAUSE I'M DRACULA AND I WILL BITE YOU!!!! CAN SOMEONE LEND ME SOME MAKEUP BECAUSE I'M DRACULA. SATAN IS MY BEST MATE.... I'M THE NEIGHBOUR OF THE BEAST" whilst running around in circles flapping his bin-liner cape. No one stopped him and he kept it up for about 3 songs without the band saying anything.

He got a bigger applause than the band did.

Composting Toilet
Oct 24, 2009

BLACK WITCHERY CHICKEN KICK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P09-TWBdt0Y

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

I hate guitars with no inlays or fancy inlays. Just give me dots or diamonds or Gibson Trapezoids and Squares (whatever the hell they put on Les Paul Customs).

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
check out this poo poo. Would this work or is it retarded -

http://deanzelinsky.com/pages/z-glide

ok it might feel slinkier, but wouldn't the notches fill up with gross sweat&skin grime

but most importantly, will it KILL MY TONE

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fair Hallion posted:

http://deanzelinsky.com/pages/z-glide

ok it might feel slinkier, but wouldn't the notches fill up with gross sweat&skin grime

but most importantly, will it KILL MY TONE

Edit: Didn't read the article because I'm an idiot, assumed it was like an air hockey table.

Air hockey neck is the best neck. Those aren't air holes, they are TONE HOLES. wwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

On a semi-related note, due to my workshop being half an inch underwater I can't do anything requiring powertools and it's driving me insane, so I decided to finish my frying pan guitar. It needed a new front as the 'deliberately horrible but perhaps too horrible' paint job on the existing one is just ew, so I spent today sawing up a chunk of 80-year old plywood I took from a worm-eaten wardrobe and cutting the pickup/neck routs out with a penknife and I am about to gouge out holes for the controls with a screw-driver.

I make quality instruments, honestly.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 6, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

C) While were on the subject of Psychobilly, does Nekroman's bass count for this thread?

If you've seen any interviews with Jim Heath he's actually a pretty well-spoken and level-headed guy, the onstage and recording persona is pretty much just that, a character he's playing. That isn't to say he doesn't party or do drugs backstage, but he's more of a cool uncle than a douchebag or bluesdad.

As for C, yeah, I was in a brief Psychobilly "phase" at one time and looking back at Nekromantix they were pretty awful and that bass is ugly as sin. Incidentally, they're opening for Reverend Horton Heat on their current tour.

Fair Hallion posted:

I guess the idea of that is sound, but considering it only comes on guitars from the company that invented it, and all their guitars are pretty characterless, the whole thing comes across like orthopedic shoes or something. It's like that neck and those guitars were invented for septuagenarians who want to take up the guitar but don't want their wrinkly hands to stick to the neck.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

p4vl posted:

I hate guitars with no inlays or fancy inlays. Just give me dots or diamonds or Gibson Trapezoids and Squares (whatever the hell they put on Les Paul Customs).

Crazy talk. No inlays look awesome on an ebony fretboard. Especially it the guitar is black.

I only like dots on Strats or Teles. Every other guitar should have squares or whatever.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Black binding and blocks on a maple board bass neck is WOOOOOOOO sexy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

King Vidiot posted:

I guess the idea of that is sound, but considering it only comes on guitars from the company that invented it, and all their guitars are pretty characterless, the whole thing comes across like orthopedic shoes or something. It's like that neck and those guitars were invented for septuagenarians who want to take up the guitar but don't want their wrinkly hands to stick to the neck.

I'd try it before I dismissed it out of hand

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd try it before I dismissed it out of hand

I mean, the problem statement is correct, that some people hate high-gloss necks because they do the stick-and-slip thing. But those people have plenty of solutions, including sanding off the thick finish, using a rosewood neck, talc, etc.

Regardless of how nice this is, it's definitely a highly-engineered solution to a low-tech and minor problem with existing solutions.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cobalt60 posted:

I mean, the problem statement is correct, that some people hate high-gloss necks because they do the stick-and-slip thing. But those people have plenty of solutions, including sanding off the thick finish, using a rosewood neck, talc, etc.

Regardless of how nice this is, it's definitely a highly-engineered solution to a low-tech and minor problem with existing solutions.

An oil finish solves most of those problems, you can get a very, very smooth finish pretty easily. As I understand it, big guitar companies don't offer them as it fairly labour intensive compared to just spraying on a nitro/poly finish.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

An oil finish solves most of those problems, you can get a very, very smooth finish pretty easily. As I understand it, big guitar companies don't offer them as it fairly labour intensive compared to just spraying on a nitro/poly finish.

I don't see how. It still takes a couple days either way with drying time between coats, and anyone can rub an oil finish on with no prior training. It's pretty much impossible to screw up.

The other explanation I've heard is that oiled necks are more susceptible to warp during shipping/storage from changes in climate. But companies ship out raw necks all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

comes along bort posted:

I don't see how. It still takes a couple days either way with drying time between coats, and anyone can rub an oil finish on with no prior training. It's pretty much impossible to screw up.

The other explanation I've heard is that oiled necks are more susceptible to warp during shipping/storage from changes in climate. But companies ship out raw necks all the time.

Depends on the oil, and whether you're really just using oil or an oil/varnish blend. The drying times can be prohibitive, it needs to be sanded to a finer grit and multiple coats are always better. If I'm finishing a piece of furniture with oil it usually takes me at least a week.

• Locked thread