Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

I really like the basic idea behind this shot. It's a simple composition and you make great use of what little you have here. The black POI is surrounded by snow in theme with that the rest of you picture, which is also mostly snow sprinkled with the ocassional black/dark-brown inbetweens. I do think it's a shame that most of your snow turned out grey, although it's a tricky situation and I think you still got a great result out of it. What bothers me is that I get the impression that your picture is skewed to the right. It may be an optical illusion because of the line on the first hill and the trees in the foreground, but I'd still look into it.

Good composition. Nice use of color and light, especially the spotlight in the middle as compositional element. It gives me a vibe of industry and isolation and I think the bluish tint and dark/high-contrast light transports that well. Unfortunately it looks a little out of focus to me and doesn't seem straight either. I don't know about the shady boxes on the left, I think they'd fit better if there was at least some direct light hitting them. I'll be honest, I'm not sure here.

This one is technically flawless for all that I can see. You did a really great job of getting sharp details, especially that pale green stuff and the dark red-brown texture in the middle. A lot of middles and brights, grey and brown. Too mild for my taste, but I think it fits. I don't like the twig in the foreground, I would have probably taken it out of the picture and maybe repositioned the camera if necessary to get a balanced shot.

I worked over one of the shots I got feedback on and included two more from my first tour. Now I'm almost done with that batch and then I can get to yesterday's, which is full of spooky fog pictures. Oooohhh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

I dig this one, but I'm a sucker for the blue/fluorescent/tungsten look combined with industrial or construction type settings.. I like how you framed the bin/wheelbarrow right up against the left edge of the shot without losing the edge of any of those objects, leaving the right side of the image freed up for the geometry of the wall studs.

Two nitpicky things:
1)Little bit of light flaring at the top and at the right edge of the image, after I noticed them they're sorta distracting.
2)I could be wrong, but are the studs plumb/level? The top joist doesn't look quite level which throws off the sense of order over there for me a bit.

Saw this posted in the photo editing tips thread I think, and I quite like the composition. I wonder if you could pull up the shadows slightly on the picnic table and the ground, though? The silhouette of the trees is good against the sun flare, but I'd like to see a little more detail in the foreground. Just a BIT more, so it still preserves the aesthetic. As it is, I squint and stare at the foreground trying to make out details (is that snow or grass?)

Self Portrait (Untitled) by Stabby McKnife, on Flickr

I've been shooting a lot of film lately and enjoying using the effect of reflective surfaces to play around with how we expect a scene to look. The biggest weakness I see in this shot is the mirror in the lower third--I'm unsure if it comes across as adding a new perspective to the shot, or if the "broken" body is ultimately more distracting than interesting.

(Edited for more free critque)

Hokkaido Anxiety fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 20, 2014

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Entenzahn posted:

I worked over one of the shots I got feedback on and included two more from my first tour. Now I'm almost done with that batch and then I can get to yesterday's, which is full of spooky fog pictures. Oooohhh!

I like the other ones but don't care for this one -- the composition just does not work for me, there isn't a clear subject and the framing is very odd. Why are we looking at this house in this way? And why so much sky? It fills a large portion of the frame without contributing to the image very much.

I'm not much of a landscape photographer but I tried it out with cooperative subject material...

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

TsarAleksi posted:

I'm not much of a landscape photographer but I tried it out with cooperative subject material...

I'll admit, until I looked down at the road, the scale messed with my mind a bit. I like the overall shot but it feels crowded to me. It might be all that black in the lower left in addition to the tree branch also being on the left. I like how you captured the haze in the background, and it's very well composited. I am curious how it looks in color (if you took it digitally) but it works well as B&W.

I'll agree with the others, the colors here are amazing. I wish it was clearer around the edges. It's super sharp right in the center but as you drift out to the debris on the floor and the studs in the background things are a little fuzzy. The more I "study photography" (look at interesting and fun pictures online) the more I grow to like this style. I don't know if I'm brave enough to attempt it yet, but I think this shot was a success.

Work bought me a new laptop (Retina MBP 15" all the bells and whistles) and so I've moved my copy of Lightroom over here and all of a sudden, my photos are looking better. I'm thinking it must be the smaller pixels playing tricks with my eyes, making the images appear sharper than they are, because a bunch of my photos seemingly got sharper.

Amalfi from the water by jpitha, on Flickr

Statue in Paris by jpitha, on Flickr

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Check your display calibration. Both of those look green-ish to me.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

I'm on a retina 15" MBP as well and it seems like there is way too much turquoise in the sky. I had to check and see if this was film or digital. The colors remind me of Kodachrome.

Vanilla and Chocolate Swirl by benruset, on Flickr

The way the snow and sand lined up on the beach reminded me of one of those cheap vanilla and chocolate swirl ice cream cups. I normally don't shoot stuff like this so I figured it'd be a fun shot to try out. Looking back I think I'd have changed it to get a deeper DOF.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Colors: yeah, I kind of did that on purpose. It's probably overdone.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ZippySLC posted:

I'm on a retina 15" MBP as well and it seems like there is way too much turquoise in the sky. I had to check and see if this was film or digital. The colors remind me of Kodachrome.

Vanilla and Chocolate Swirl by benruset, on Flickr

The way the snow and sand lined up on the beach reminded me of one of those cheap vanilla and chocolate swirl ice cream cups. I normally don't shoot stuff like this so I figured it'd be a fun shot to try out. Looking back I think I'd have changed it to get a deeper DOF.

I generally like the sort of textural thing that you're going for here, but the narrow DOF is confusing me. I feel like if the entire frame of the photo were in focus, it would be about the texture; as only a part of it is, it seems like you're trying to draw my attention to something... but what?

Here are a couple I took during the last snowstorm:

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I immediately really like this pic. Like your other one, perfectly framed and suited for the B&W presentation.

I realised though that after looking at the photo a little more that I don't feel the out of focus foreground actually lends itself to the shot and I would prefer it not be there. I do like the snow covered rocks on the bank that are in the bottom right of the frame. It's likely difficult to get a unique shot of such an oft-photographed feature but I think you did well.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

thetzar posted:

Here are a couple I took during the last snowstorm:

This is really interesting to me. I know, for myself at least, it's really difficult to capture snow falling without making it a huge distraction. I think it mutes the bridge well in this way without totally hiding it.
I also think there is a lot to look at without being distracting. I keep going back and finding new things.

I don't post in here very often, because I'm not typically happy with the photos I take. I'm forcing myself to get over that so I can get some criticism.
Took this at the Boston Convention Center last weekend during the International Auto show.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
First post so not exactly sure of the proper format. I decided to start taking a few photos with my cell phone everyday and loving around with my favorite one in photoshop to re-learn the program. Here are a few derp-a-derp ones from this week, all taken from a lovely cell phone camera. I have a point and shoot but lost the charger :|

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

metavisual posted:

This is really interesting to me. I know, for myself at least, it's really difficult to capture snow falling without making it a huge distraction. I think it mutes the bridge well in this way without totally hiding it.
I also think there is a lot to look at without being distracting. I keep going back and finding new things.

I don't post in here very often, because I'm not typically happy with the photos I take. I'm forcing myself to get over that so I can get some criticism.
Took this at the Boston Convention Center last weekend during the International Auto show.

I really like the balance in the composition and the framing of that back window. You know what my first instinct is? I want this to be a longer exposure (assuming the escalator was moving and you have a tripod). It might give them a "running water" kind of feel if you shot this at 1-2 seconds. Or even if they weren't moving, having some motion in the cars framed in the center would have been interesting. Or depending on the colors inside, having the shot in color might be worth a try, if the interior architecture was pretty neutral but the outside was bright and cheery. Not saying to go back and do selective color on that window, but depending on how the natural color was, the BW might be hurting more than helping.

Or it might look like poo poo, but if I was standing there, it's a couple of things I probably would have tried out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ posted:

First post so not exactly sure of the proper format. I decided to start taking a few photos with my cell phone everyday and loving around with my favorite one in photoshop to re-learn the program. Here are a few derp-a-derp ones from this week, all taken from a lovely cell phone camera. I have a point and shoot but lost the charger :|

/pictures

There's a three-photo limit, and you're supposed to include "non-lovely" critique of someone else's photos.

Source: I think I'm the reason the thread title says read the OP like a smart person, because I did not and took a time-out for it.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Jesus Christ posted:

Sweet pics. When's your gallery opening?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Jesus Christ posted:

I think these are really really loving good and I'd like to see more of your work and talk to you about your craft.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

metavisual posted:

I feel the same way, I like this, but I wish you could have gotten a bit more to get the outside handrails in too.

Here's a couple of mine

Shipwreck on a dive last winter

Waiting for summer to come back...

Cru Jones fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 28, 2014

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
This shot is a really nice combination of hazy, well lit landscape and industrial elements. I like the composition, especially the two exhausts from the smokestacks. But the sky is blown out and the image overall lacks a central element to give me something to look at. The clouds, the treeline, the smokestacks and the buildings all lack sharpness. The dreamlike quality would make a stronger image with the sun further from the left edge of the shot and with the two buildings on the left in sharper contrast to the trees behind it. Shooting less into the sun here would give the bottom edge a bit more texture and color so they didn't appear purely black. I really like the specks of bird in the sky giving life to the top of the image, I just wish they were crisper.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I'm very, very inexperienced but I figure the best way to learn is to get feedback from people better than myself.

First off,

Cru Jones posted:

I feel the same way, I like this, but I wish you could have gotten a bit more to get the outside handrails in too.

Here's a couple of mine

Shipwreck on a dive last winter

Waiting for summer to come back...

The first is a really cool shot. Is that a fisheye lens? I'm kind of a sucker for the long-exposure-on-car-lights thing, but the curviness makes it feel really unusual. The only complaint I have is, is that your shadow on the crosswalk sign? It's kind of distracting - the lights guide my eye to the sign, but the sign looks weird because of the blotch.

The second shot is pretty cool, I'd kind of like to see a color version though, and a wider crop. I feel like it would be stronger if there was more space on either side, make it feel a bit more desolate, impart the feeling of it being abandoned underwater for a long time.

Great lighting in the third shot, and really good bokeh. I like the contrast between the orange butterfly and the purple flower. Although again, I kind of wish there was a little more space, with the flower and bug a little off center. I also wish it was higher resolution so you could see the butterfly better.

---

On to mine.

I'm using RawTherapee because I don't want to pay for Lightroom yet (and I'm not too fond of Adobe, but I think I may have to break down at some point), and I'm still not very comfortable doing much beyond cropping, slightly tweaking exposure, and randomly moving sliders until the color looks good. I also sort of feel like I like photos a bit more saturated than most people on here, so please do tell me if I've gone overboard.

I really like the colors in this shot, with the red rocks against the very blue sky. This is one where I may have gone too far on the colors, but I'm not sure. The bottom left corner especially is kind of soft, I'm not entirely sure what happened.

This one feels a bit underexposed still, but I don't really like how it looks if I bump up the exposure either. I saw that group walking and I wanted to capture the feeling of heading out on the start of a long trail, but I don't think it got how big the place they're walking into is. I think this is a much weaker photo, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 25, 2014

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Arcsech posted:

I really like the colors in this shot, with the red rocks against the very blue sky. This is one where I may have gone too far on the colors, but I'm not sure. The bottom left corner especially is kind of soft, I'm not entirely sure what happened.

I like saturated colors too, and I've been known to go overboard myself, but even I have to say that I think the sky is too extreme in this one. Not really sure what options are available to you in your software, but, if it were Lightroom, I'd be cutting the saturation by quite a bit, luminance by a little, and either the white clipping or highlights.

I think this was one of the best, if not the best, shot that I ended up getting from Iceberg Lake, but you never really know until you ask someone else.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

Arcsech posted:

I'm very, very inexperienced but I figure the best way to learn is to get feedback from people better than myself.

First off,

The first is a really cool shot. Is that a fisheye lens? I'm kind of a sucker for the long-exposure-on-car-lights thing, but the curviness makes it feel really unusual. The only complaint I have is, is that your shadow on the crosswalk sign? It's kind of distracting - the lights guide my eye to the sign, but the sign looks weird because of the blotch.

The second shot is pretty cool, I'd kind of like to see a color version though, and a wider crop. I feel like it would be stronger if there was more space on either side, make it feel a bit more desolate, impart the feeling of it being abandoned underwater for a long time.

Great lighting in the third shot, and really good bokeh. I like the contrast between the orange butterfly and the purple flower. Although again, I kind of wish there was a little more space, with the flower and bug a little off center. I also wish it was higher resolution so you could see the butterfly better.

---

On to mine.

I'm using RawTherapee because I don't want to pay for Lightroom yet (and I'm not too fond of Adobe, but I think I may have to break down at some point), and I'm still not very comfortable doing much beyond cropping, slightly tweaking exposure, and randomly moving sliders until the color looks good. I also sort of feel like I like photos a bit more saturated than most people on here, so please do tell me if I've gone overboard.

This one feels a bit underexposed still, but I don't really like how it looks if I bump up the exposure either. I saw that group walking and I wanted to capture the feeling of heading out on the start of a long trail, but I don't think it got how big the place they're walking into is. I think this is a much weaker photo, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm a sucker for high contrast and high saturation so I like your first one. My only recommendations would be to maybe dial down the saturation just a tiny-tiny bit, just a few percent; regarding the composition of the photo -- it could use a better angle and some better cropping. The rocks are just kinda there but don't really fill the shot in any sort of sense that elicits a "holy gently caress" feel... There is too much empty space on the right-hand side and quite a lot of sky that you could keep if you cropped out the rock on the right side, but if you want to keep the rock on the right side you should probably crop out some of the sky and the extra stuff on the right side that doesn't really contribute.

I've got another daily pic from a small protest regarding Egypt in Brussels, again from a cell phone, I'll upgrade later:

and of course the obligatory cutout version 'cause I know y'all love that sooooooooooo much

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jesus Christ posted:

I've got another daily pic from a small protest regarding Egypt in Brussels, again from a cell phone, I'll upgrade later:

Pretty bad framing. Why is the bottom of the pedestal cut off in such an awkward place? Turning the camera down the slightest would have avoided that. There's also a corner of some other building on the right edge of the photo, why is that there?
What is the subject, is it the statue or the building behind it? Or perhaps the people?

Ah yeah, the people. You write it's supposed to be a photo from a protest, so try making the protest into the apparent subject of the picture. You could do that by, for instance, standing closer so you can actually tell that those people are protesting and it's not just a guided tour, street market or whatever. Because all I see is a badly framed travel photo of a statue, with some random people standing abound behind.

Jesus Christ posted:

and of course the obligatory cutout version 'cause I know y'all love that sooooooooooo much

Hiding the lovely camera behind an even more terrible filter.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Shellman posted:

Self Portrait (Untitled) by Stabby McKnife, on Flickr

I've been shooting a lot of film lately and enjoying using the effect of reflective surfaces to play around with how we expect a scene to look. The biggest weakness I see in this shot is the mirror in the lower third--I'm unsure if it comes across as adding a new perspective to the shot, or if the "broken" body is ultimately more distracting than interesting.

Your picture has a nice balance. I like how it is seperated into three distinctive areas, I like the diagonal lines and I like the vertical white bar that runs through the shot. The B&W is also done well. What bothers me is that the one thing that's supposed to stand out in your portrait (you) doesn't contrast much with the background. Maybe that's a thing you do with reflection shots, in that case ignore me. But I do think the middle part lacks a distinct, contrasting element and the legs below you would be less distracting if it was easier to focus on your shape in the middle.

Cute donkey, nice catch. Something about the composition bothers me. I think it's the empty space at the top. As it is, most of the interest in your picture is concentrated at the bottom and that looks off-balance to me. I would have moved the camera a little lower, you might try cropping around to see if you can improve it. Colors and lighting are really cool and make for a good natural look. I could see this used to advertise a family vacation on an animal farm. I find the horse distracting. A shallower DoF might have helped, but really I think the shot would be better if it weren't there at all.

single-mode fiber posted:

I think this was one of the best, if not the best, shot that I ended up getting from Iceberg Lake, but you never really know until you ask someone else.

The colors are awesome in this one and you've recorded a lot of crisp textures from front to back. However, your composition seems unbalanced. Specifically, I would have liked to see more sky, and maybe less water in return to balance it out. Or, if you like the texture of the pebbles so much, a horizontal picture of the shore. I think even now you could improve the picture by cropping it.

(click for bigger)

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008

I like the idea of the first panorama but something about it just seems off - I think the gaps of darkness take away from any piece of continuous context the shot has. Even if it were slightly brighter to give a faint outline of the overall scene it would add a lot the photo.

I like the second picture, especially with the shallower depth of field on the trees behind it. I would be curious to see what the picture looks like with the blacks bumped up because I feel like there are large voids of pure black that lack any detail. Also given that I don't know what the object actually is, I think another shot, from slightly further back showing more of what's below would be nice as well.

The third is my favorite - I love the fog and what it does to the silhouettes on the trees behind it. I'm not sure that the crop is my favorite with the large mass of black to the ground, it almost seems like the opposite, with a relatively small area of the black ground and a much larger area of grey sky would make the tree in the foreground that much more striking.

I'm on a company offsite in Tahoe and after falling while snowboarding enough I opted to take some pictures on the last day and mess around with my tripod in my room.

IMG_9850.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_9855.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

IMG_9914.jpg by wildfoxmedia, on Flickr

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pretty nice, but your horizontal lines are not quite straight, and it honestly kills the picture entirely for me. I keep staring at those not-entirely-straight lines. Some quick experimentation says that a 0,3 degree rotation mostly fixes it, but I think the perspective might not be entirely straight on, which is obviously harder to fix.

Your other two pictures don't really catch my attention at all. Uninteresting, may be the word.

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

Please take all my critiques with a grain of salt as I'm still learning myself.

I really like this, great composition, works incredibly well with the black and white treatment; kind of reminds me of an iRobot dystopian corporate office with all the clean black and white surfaces and sharp lines.

This is beautiful but as mentioned earlier in the thread I really wish there was more of the sky to be seen. It's a hard trade up as the water colour and detail as it is so beautiful but the way its framed right now it almost makes me feel like I want to duck or crouch to see more sky.

Neither of these do much for me.

I think the first would have been a better result if you were on the other side of the railing, completely negating it from the picture as it seems unneccesary and distracting. In addition to that possibly bumping up some colours in post would help it pop a bit more; but as it stands now it does nothing for me.

The second one really hurts my head. The focal point appears to be the chairs but not sure why, while the chairlift and trees are just out of focus looking messy and scattered. I feel that if you moved in closer and lower to the chairs, use a larger aperature to blow out everything in the back, you might have 'something' at that point, but even then I don't find anything particularily engaging about the chairs to begin with.

I like this one, I'm digging the different shades of brown, textures and how the shadows play on the edges of the larger lampshade, also the light coming in from the top highlighting the lampshade. I think it was mentioned in the previous post but the lampshade doess appear to be leaning to the left slightly, or I could be succumbing to the power of suggestion.

So here are a couple of my pictures I took over the last few weeks that I rather like, but all the more reason to have peoples opinions on what may be wrong or could use some improvement.

Eroteme by ProWessler, on Flickr

A Quiet Afternoon by ProWessler, on Flickr

International Man of Mystery by ProWessler, on Flickr

Geektox posted:

..there's those bits of purple on his hoodie that kinda bothers me, but that's super nitpicky.

Do you know what causes this? Is it chromatic abberation? I've seen this on my other photos but usually it's in really high contrast areas. Normally I can fix this in post but didn't even notice it on this one.

Ark fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 28, 2014

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Good example of figure to ground, I like this a lot. Good timing catching him with his foot slightly lifted, small touches like that add a lot to an image for me.

Just so it's not entirely positive critique, perhaps crop in on the left just slightly so the dividers between the windows are spaced evenly across the image? I don't THINK that would throw him off center too much, but with the dividers there it adds a geometric constraint to the image for me that craves balance.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I too, am learning, so also with the grain of salt and all that.

I really like this. I pass by this thing all the time on dog walks and have always wondered how to best take a picture of it, but I either don't have my camera on me or it's 2 a.m. in the morning. This is really well composed.

I'm not as big a fan of this one. I like the idea, but a shot from the back isn't super interesting and there's those bits of purple on his hoodie that kinda bothers me, but that's super nitpicky.

Here's mine. I'm in journalism school and we're taking portraits right now. I'm a pretty new photographer, and I could use editing and B&W shooting advice especially.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Geektox posted:

Here's mine. I'm in journalism school and we're taking portraits right now. I'm a pretty new photographer, and I could use editing and B&W shooting advice especially.

From a journalism perspective, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with these -- they are not "newsy" per se, but it's certainly true that a lot of work for magazines and newspapers (and their websites) is based around portraiture. However, given that most papers and magazines publish in color or at least publish on the internet in color, I'm not sure that it's a great idea to focus on black and white. But, it's not a bad goal anyway so feel free to ignore that comment.

About the photos --

1) Not sure what the goal was here. The tone is flat and seems sort of off -- it's really really gray despite the big dark shadow. The flash lighting makes it seem like it's supposed to be a studio image, but the rest of the image doesn't support that -- it's like a posed snapshot, which is really not working in terms of documentary work.

2) Again the black and white here is really flat and dull, just not well done. It's not a terrible portrait but just kind of bland -- again it's not working at all as a documentary photo, it doesn't tell much of a story, unless it's about the fashion choices of j-school students...

3) Probably the most interesting of the three, the use of negative space is good and this is the only one that isn't flat gray (though her face is washing out). But the composition is sloppy, the railing is really distracting to the image. Moreover, her expression is "this is a photo for Facebook" which just doesn't work very well for documentary work.

I'd suggest that if you really want to learn and improve, you go out and explore and find interesting people to photograph. Environmental and documentary photography is mostly about people interacting with the world and about what makes those people interesting.

edit: I should probably include something of mine like this -- this is pretty old so I'm sorry about that.

TsarAleksi fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 29, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

TsarAleksi posted:

From a journalism perspective, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with these -- they are not "newsy" per se, but it's certainly true that a lot of work for magazines and newspapers (and their websites) is based around portraiture. However, given that most papers and magazines publish in color or at least publish on the internet in color, I'm not sure that it's a great idea to focus on black and white. But, it's not a bad goal anyway so feel free to ignore that comment.

About the photos --

1) Not sure what the goal was here. The tone is flat and seems sort of off -- it's really really gray despite the big dark shadow. The flash lighting makes it seem like it's supposed to be a studio image, but the rest of the image doesn't support that -- it's like a posed snapshot, which is really not working in terms of documentary work.

2) Again the black and white here is really flat and dull, just not well done. It's not a terrible portrait but just kind of bland -- again it's not working at all as a documentary photo, it doesn't tell much of a story, unless it's about the fashion choices of j-school students...

3) Probably the most interesting of the three, the use of negative space is good and this is the only one that isn't flat gray (though her face is washing out). But the composition is sloppy, the railing is really distracting to the image. Moreover, her expression is "this is a photo for Facebook" which just doesn't work very well for documentary work.

I'd suggest that if you really want to learn and improve, you go out and explore and find interesting people to photograph. Environmental and documentary photography is mostly about people interacting with the world and about what makes those people interesting.

edit: I should probably include something of mine like this -- this is pretty old so I'm sorry about that.

Awesome stuff, thanks! I should've mentioned that these photos were just kind of practice for familiarizing ourselves with the camera. Most of the class hasn't even touched anything better than a P&S so we've been taking portraits like these for fun/practice.

Our first assignment is to take exactly the type of photo you're talking about though, so I'll report back.

How do I fix the "colors" on B&W shots? We're primarily shooting in B&W right now for the school newspaper but will move into color eventually.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

Fuckin' love a good graffiti

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

2 weeks in and I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of this a bit.

I like this one a lot. It's the first photo where I went out with an idea, rather than seeing something cool and shooting it (even if the idea was only "I like the pattern these leaves would make in the light"). I cropped it to cut out the pot they were in, which made it look a lot more dense. It feels a little washed out though, but I couldn't get it to look better in lightroom without being too dark.
I wonder if I couldn't have made the whole geometric thing more pronounced by getting just one plant in the frame or rotating though:

cactus by dion.sole, on Flickr

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

megalodong posted:

I like this one a lot. It's the first photo where I went out with an idea, rather than seeing something cool and shooting it (even if the idea was only "I like the pattern these leaves would make in the light"). I cropped it to cut out the pot they were in, which made it look a lot more dense. It feels a little washed out though, but I couldn't get it to look better in lightroom without being too dark.
I wonder if I couldn't have made the whole geometric thing more pronounced by getting just one plant in the frame or rotating though:

cactus by dion.sole, on Flickr

I really appreciate the amount of texture and dimension you've managed to capture, it feels like I could pick one of the leaves off and bite it. But it also feels like you've taken a photo without a subject or an apparent sense of purpose. It's the kind of photo that could be on a textbook - nice, but kind of harmless and vague. What does it look like with the pot in the frame?

Anyways, here's some crap to look at:

color field 1 by difficult listening on Flickr

a leaf by difficult listening on Flickr

the sunset by difficult listening on Flickr

color field 1 (which is directly from the camera with no post-processing) is me dicking around with cardstock and trying to imitate James Turrell's "Aperture/Space Division" installations, which are cool as heck. Unfortunately, cardstock isn't very dense and bleeds a lot of light, and also tears easily, so I might have another go at the concept with some posterboard at some point. It's kinda fun.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 4, 2014

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

I love this shot. You can still see the detail in the city blocks close to the horizon, giving it a sense of vastness. And the purple hue gives everything a very science-fictiony feel.

I'm really interested to see how the colour field thing turns out with some sturdier paper.

I took a few photos of my musician friend I'm decently proud of:

I don't look at a lot of photos of musicians but I feel like if there was ever a cliched shot of one this would probably be it? Still, I'm pretty happy I managed to pull it off (maybe?).

I like his expression in this one, but the foreground is really busy. I want to crop it down, but I'm at a loss how best to do it.

I tried to use the critique TsarAleksi gave me last time as best I can, please let me know how I did!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Geektox posted:

I like his expression in this one, but the foreground is really busy. I want to crop it down, but I'm at a loss how best to do it.

I tried to use the critique TsarAleksi gave me last time as best I can, please let me know how I did!

I don't really have anything to add for the first shot. In your second shot here I feel like it would have been stronger with the guy not just off of dead center, and if he's going to be the only face in the frame it'd be worthwhile IMO for him to be a bit bigger in it. He's too small in the photo for me to really notice any nuance of his expression without zooming in or putting my face quite close to the monitor.

All things aside he's not a terribly photogenic dude and his hair makes me want to go shower but that's hardly anything you can change.

This would be my suggested crop for the second shot to emphasize the boldness of the dark piano in contrast to the light walls behind it, just my opinion of course:

e: really you'd have to move the sax I guess.

Amorphus
Jun 26, 2005
Available in new pseudo-intellectual flavor!

VelociBacon posted:

I don't really have anything to add for the first shot. In your second shot here I feel like it would have been stronger with the guy not just off of dead center, and if he's going to be the only face in the frame it'd be worthwhile IMO for him to be a bit bigger in it. He's too small in the photo for me to really notice any nuance of his expression without zooming in or putting my face quite close to the monitor.

All things aside he's not a terribly photogenic dude and his hair makes me want to go shower but that's hardly anything you can change.

This would be my suggested crop for the second shot to emphasize the boldness of the dark piano in contrast to the light walls behind it, just my opinion of course:

e: really you'd have to move the sax I guess.

That crop really reminds me of Arnold Newman's famous portrait of Stravinsky, which is a terrific study of negative space, abstract form, and guiding the viewer's vision. To wit:

Notice that even the vertical border to the subject's left is present - quite serendipitous, I conjecture. Newman's photo has the piano cover looming, a presence unto its own right, while the stand holding it up looks much frailer and thinner in his portrait, creating a tension that isn't present in Geektox's shot. And whereas the wall joint creates two fields of light and dark which divide the image background into very pleasing proportions, the wall panels in Geektox's shot do nothing to add to the image at all and are even a little offputting for their directionlessness and downward-sloping canter. The whimsical look in Geektox's subject could be good, but the rest of the image doesn't serve it well.

Of course, the Newman shot has a lot of other stuff going for it that this photo doesn't have, but it just goes to show the power of good framing and careful composition. As a little aside: check out the original image that Stravinsky portrait was cropped from:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
x-posted from low-effort (boy howdy) photo dump:

Jesus Christ posted:

Just did this one up and want some critique but don't want to risk another probation or ban so I'm just posting here. If you like it or hate it PM me, I will will not let SoundMonkey know, I just don't want to have to post in that other loving thread because gently caress that. Why is there not a thread where anybody can post anything without either risk of probation or lack of criticism? That's loving stupid, sorry dude.

I strongly suggest that you try focusing on your subject next time.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

x-posted from low-effort (boy howdy) photo dump:

I strongly suggest that you try focusing on your subject next time.

I am curious to know what the subject it. Also the harsh shadow from the direct flash is very distracting.

LibbyCr
Feb 2, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Anyways, here's some crap to look at:

color field 1 by difficult listening on Flickr

a leaf by difficult listening on Flickr

color field 1 (which is directly from the camera with no post-processing) is me dicking around with cardstock and trying to imitate James Turrell's "Aperture/Space Division" installations, which are cool as heck. Unfortunately, cardstock isn't very dense and bleeds a lot of light, and also tears easily, so I might have another go at the concept with some posterboard at some point. It's kinda fun.

I hadn't seen James Turrell's work before, so first thank you for that link - those are fantastic! I do like where you're going with the color field studies. Michael's usually sells thick foamcore for $0.50 a sheet for an 18"x24" and that may work well too.

The negative space on the leaf really works in your favor, my eye keeps making a big circle around the leaf and its stem. My photo textbook is mostly black and whites and used a very similar image to show how tonal changes can create depth. You've also made an asymmetrical composition work really well!

Nothing in the OP vetoes film, so here are a couple I took last week with a Holga camera. I took two darkroom classes this semester and it has been fascinating. One is Alternative Processes, so we've been shooting pinhole, holga, double exposures, etc.

Warning by LibbyCr, on Flickr

Monument by LibbyCr, on Flickr

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

metavisual posted:

This reminds me of a photo I took last year- although yours has far more depth. Maybe it's my eyes or the monitor here, but it looks slightly tilted to one side.

#la #lax #losangeles #blackandwhite by jdoscher, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

LibbyCr posted:

I hadn't seen James Turrell's work before, so first thank you for that link - those are fantastic! I do like where you're going with the color field studies. Michael's usually sells thick foamcore for $0.50 a sheet for an 18"x24" and that may work well too.

The negative space on the leaf really works in your favor, my eye keeps making a big circle around the leaf and its stem. My photo textbook is mostly black and whites and used a very similar image to show how tonal changes can create depth. You've also made an asymmetrical composition work really well!

Nothing in the OP vetoes film, so here are a couple I took last week with a Holga camera. I took two darkroom classes this semester and it has been fascinating. One is Alternative Processes, so we've been shooting pinhole, holga, double exposures, etc.

Warning by LibbyCr, on Flickr

Monument by LibbyCr, on Flickr

I really like both of these. The first one is pretty :black101:, but it's a little crooked, which is distracting. The second one would have been a little better with a bit more ground and a bit less sky.