Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Lacrosse posted:

Do any of you have any experience with making sand falls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbqXyz4N7c

I've never seen anything like that, it sure is awesome looking though.

E: Here's an article explaining one method of building one in a planted tank. Definitely something i'll have to mess around with in an extra tank.

Bait and Swatch fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.okeanosgroup.com/blog/aquariums/is-that-an-underwater-waterfall-yes/

http://www.viaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?6122-DIY-Sand-Fall-Underwater-Waterfall

Looks like my initial guess was correct. Air pump uplift to get sand up, and let it drop down with a collection area at the bottom.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Yeah, you can either use an airstone or a powerhead. I have both, but I'm leaning more toward doing it with an airstone. I've seen these around for a few years, but they do seem like a pretty new thing. Here's a few more tutorials and such on how to make them:

* Creating a waterfall illusion underwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-NxXxdRFog

Here you can see a sand waterfall/fountain in action in this Avatar themed planted aquarium:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE0fqwR4doA

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
A friend of a friend who works at an LFS was doing a gravel vac on a FW tank and pulled these creatures up. Best guess is that they're about 2" long. Anyone have any clue what they are?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

A friend of a friend who works at an LFS was doing a gravel vac on a FW tank and pulled these creatures up. Best guess is that they're about 2" long. Anyone have any clue what they are?

It's teeth from some sort of Pseudoacanthicus Pleco.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Waaaaait...how big is the pleco that has 2 inch teeth?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

Waaaaait...how big is the pleco that has 2 inch teeth?

My guess is that they're from a large L24 or L25 and that a lot of their length is hidden away inside the flesh. No clue what could have caused it to lose so many at once though. And I did say that best guess was about 2".

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did one die in that tank and get eaten, leaving only teeth? :stare:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

Did one die in that tank and get eaten, leaving only teeth? :stare:

The LSF that found those is excellent. It's highly doubtful they would have not noticed a dead fish of that size. Plus I'm pretty sure there would have been bones too among the stuff that got vacuumed up. It's just a bunch of teeth.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they're baby (fry?) teeth and it's going to grow in some 4 inchers in and start feeding on human flesh exclusively.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man they're like sharks.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/1436721?uid=363881761&uid=3737536&uid=2&uid=3&uid=67&uid=62&uid=363881671&sid=21103354241661

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 6, 2014

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Wow, that picture and the earlier one of the teeth gives me a very different opinion of the pleco. Combined with their armor and the fin spines, they're an evolutionary tank.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

Wow, that picture and the earlier one of the teeth gives me a very different opinion of the pleco. Combined with their armor and the fin spines, they're an evolutionary tank.

The Pseudoacanthicus Plecos tend to be large and carnivorous. In captivity even the smaller herbivorous Plecos will eat as though they're omnivores. I'm gonna pump the person who sent me that pic for more info because I have no clue what could cause a Pleco that large to lose that many teeth.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
That is terrifying.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

That is terrifying.

It makes the teeth in your avatar seem tame eh?

OP I say the guy who found them needs to make a necklace of them.

On to talk of plecos.. sadly this is an infestation of our Florida rivers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

demonR6 posted:

Logically I get why that's horrible, but it's a cool sight.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

demonR6 posted:

Are those water hyacinths in that picture as well? Those things spread like crazy.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Looks like, yeah. Florida is jam-packed with non-natives for all sorts.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

demonR6 posted:

Well... time to get a frog gig and do some spear fishing. drat thats pretty bad infestation.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At this point maybe it'd be easier to just say gently caress it and try and cram every species in existence into Florida. Go for a record.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
There was a story in the news that the infestation is really bad at the springs where the manatees are hibernating for the winter. At Blue Springs the park ranger reported some of the manatees are covered in plecos and they are agitating them to the point they are rolling around trying any way possible to get them off. That is sad.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

demonR6 posted:

There was a story in the news that the infestation is really bad at the springs where the manatees are hibernating for the winter. At Blue Springs the park ranger reported some of the manatees are covered in plecos and they are agitating them to the point they are rolling around trying any way possible to get them off. That is sad.

That is rather depressing. Is it just common plecos that are prolific in the waterways, or is it various types.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bait and Swatch posted:

That is rather depressing. Is it just common plecos that are prolific in the waterways, or is it various types.

It's almost every body of water. I was at the Sanford Zoo which is a small zoological park by most big city zoo standards and we were walking in between exhibits and there is a pond in a central area that is maybe 20 yards all around.. giant freaking plecos. We counted five of them along the edge of the water. No idea how they got there because it is not connected to any waterway but there they were. We could not get in close enough but you could tell they were big armored plecos over a foot long easy. It looks like what you see in that pic I posted. I have even seen them in Shingle Creek which is a feeder to one of the bigger lakes in the area that eventually feeds into Lake Okeechobee and subsequently the Everglades. That bad.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Eifert Posting posted:

At this point maybe it'd be easier to just say gently caress it and try and cram every species in existence into Florida. Go for a record.

Like the Simpsons episode where they discover Mr Burns has every disease known to man, but they have reached perfect equilibrium in his body? Its just crazy enough to work.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Eifert Posting posted:

As long as they wipe out Floridians in the process.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

As long as they wipe out Floridians in the process.

The Floridians are not the problem.. it is the out of state transplants that move here 99% of the time.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Saw this thing in my red cherry shrimp tank, what the hell is it?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Congratulations. That is a Mayfly nymph. Enjoy!

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Will it eat my shrimp? About to hunt this bastard down

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

Most aren't predatory, maybe watch it for a while just to make sure.
I'd guess it's one of the non-carnivorous ones based on the skinny little legs, ain't gonna catch poo poo with those things.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
So it appears I have black beard algae. I guess I increase co2, let nitrate get a tad higher, and darken more?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

No, but eventually it will end up flying around your house.. one day you'll find it on your couch, drinking your beer and eating popcorn watching Pay Per View. Other than that, harmless.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

demonR6 posted:

No, but eventually it will end up flying around your house.. one day you'll find it on your couch, drinking your beer and eating popcorn watching Pay Per View. Other than that, harmless.

No freeloaders. Make it pull itself up by its bootstraps if it wants to stay.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I haven't been keeping up on this thread very well. I went back 15+ pages and read up till now and noticed I missed a few people asking about the state of my tanks.

A few days ago I re-aquascaped both my 15 gallon high, and my 37 gallon aquarium. Check out all this anubias I have. I've been growing this piece for over 7 years now. It actually flowered for me this year despite abysmally poor lighting.

---------------
37 gallon before/after

---------------
15H gallon before/after

---------------

I neglected my bowls for a while and I let the big bowl get pretty low. I still have 10 red cherry shrimp left, mostly females. All of them have saddles but no eggs yet so far. I think I have at least 1-2 males left in there.

Some of the slower, and therefore more photograph-able, inhabitants of the 15 gallon: dwarf cory, sumo loach, amano shrimp

Here's a golden dojo loach from the 37 gallon being lazy

I bought a marineland hidden blue/white LED strip for my 15H tank. Being an older Eclipse tank, it only has a single NO T5 strip in the hood and it looked to be too much hassle retrofit. My plants were limping along just barely up until now. I've only had it in for a few days so I've yet to see any benefit to the plants, but at least I can see my fish now!

I can't get minus to upload this image, so here's a link to an animated gif showing off the difference the Marineland Hidden LED made. It's like 3x brighter than what I had: Single NO T5 fluorescent vs Marineland Hidden LED

Google+ started making these weird animated gifs out of my auto backup photos for some reason.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Feb 8, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I think I may have just fed my pair of angels $16 worth of amano shrimp appetizers. Or those little fuckers are amazing hiders.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

I think I may have just fed my pair of angels $16 worth of amano shrimp appetizers. Or those little fuckers are amazing hiders.

I had four Amanos I didn't see for weeks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As long as the tank seems to get cleaner, it'll be fine.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hrm. Maybe I'll just buy more until it's impossible for them to all hide.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

LingcodKilla posted:

Hrm. Maybe I'll just buy more until it's impossible for them to all hide.

Sounds like a good plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
Anybody want* a famous movie fish from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? You can feed him carrots!

* You'll need more than a goldfish bowl for this one...