Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I didn't catch the preview, can someone spoil it here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Spacebump posted:

If I was to guess I'd think the easiest way would be Sarah dies defending Laurel. Laurel would still be mad at Sarah and wouldn't know Sarah is the Canary until this occurs. She takes off the mask and discovers her dead sister. This leads to Laurel becoming the Black Canary as a way of honoring/forgiving Sarah.

Idon't mean it like that, there's plenty of ways they could make Laurel the Black Canary, but at this point does anyone want that? They've got a great set up with Saraas the Black Canary, I really can't see how switching the sisters could be anything other than super awkward and cumbersome in terms of the story and the characters and all that.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
That was such a terse introduction of Moira by Oliver.

Robotnik DDS
Oct 31, 2004

Lance needs to get re-promoted just so one of the Al Ghuls can call him de-TEC-tive already

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

To be fair, Laurel has incredibly valid points

loving seriously. Yes she's a total bitch to Sarah, but if I were her parents I would probably not say poo poo about her taking a drink at that point in time, either, given everything she stated, which is 100% true. Remember Laurel has no idea of the six years of hell/trial by fire Sarah's gone through and honestly probably wouldn't care much ATM if she did.

'Well I paid my penance by being kidnapped by a crazy scientist and a team of cutthroat pirates, was chased around an island by them and a madman on superspeed who I ultimately had to help kill, then somehow ended up being taken in starving and near death by a crazy ecoterrorist and his crazy daughters, one of whom I had a lesbian relationship with who by the way taught me how to be an assassin and who I just attempted suicide over to get away from because I got sick of killing innocent people and they were gonna kill you all if I didn't go back to them' would probably garner a 'good' from Laurel at this juncture. Hell, I'm still surprised/disappointed she forgave/slept with Oliver, who was the instigator of all this.

quote:

OLIVER FOR GOD'S SAKE LEARN SOME SELF CONTROL

Seriously. Though I guess its as good a way as any to show that for all his character growth on the island the past 5 years and the last year+ of going from grim administrator of ultimate judgement to 'ok I guess I won't kill (mostly)' vigilante, he is one seriously hosed up dude.

hosed up, horny dude.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Katrina Law is the poo poo, Nyssa owns, show is god drat amazing. I loved basically everything about her character, and it's fantastic how much they managed to relay about her in just a single episode. Bring on everyone else that was on Spartacus as well, they're all perfect for this.

Kingtheninja posted:

I didn't catch the preview, can someone spoil it here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubx0cflf-p8

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Next episode features Clock King right?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Oracle posted:

hosed up, horny dude.

I'm pretty sure he's had sex once in the past two years.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

VDay posted:

Katrina Law is the poo poo, Nyssa owns, show is god drat amazing. I loved basically everything about her character, and it's fantastic how much they managed to relay about her in just a single episode. Bring on everyone else that was on Spartacus as well, they're all perfect for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubx0cflf-p8

That...that was Slade on the Queens' mansion? :stare: The balls of this show :suspense:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Laurel is crazy, annoying and adds nothing to the show, I don't know why people stick up for her.

edit: That's totally possible but are you saying Laurel isn't annoying? That she adds value to the show?

Bright Future fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 6, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheChad posted:

Laurel is crazy, annoying and adds nothing to the show, I don't know why people stick up for her.

They're smarter than you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Nyssa was amazing and the actress was fantastic. I'm really interested to see where the League story arc goes.

I was a bit annoyed that it looked like they were going to kill Sara off, but thankfully Oliver still has his magic island herbs, so that's fine.

Laurel does have some good points and that "you stole my life" line was hilariously meta and awesome.

So...at this point, Sara really is the Black Canary is everything but her name, right? She's got the costume, the cry (in more ways than one), the training and now, she's hooking up with the Arrow.

I actually didn't even realize Roy wasn't around until it was mentioned in the thread. Did Thea have any lines at all or was she just set dressing?

Slade is getting involved! I'm really psyched for him to start interacting with people besides Blood (who I'm getting less and less interested in now). I wonder if we might have an Arrow/Canary/Roy team-up against Deathstroke? Though if Oliver and Sara managed to "kill" the roided up Slade on the island, I can't imagine the Arrow and the Canary would need Roy's help.

Regardless, the next three weeks are going to be torture.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Katrina Law :allears:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

I'm pretty sure he's had sex once in the past two years.

Which would preclude him being horny if it were correct how?

(He hooked up with Laurel, Huntress, and whoever River Tam is in this show, and now Sarah. That's a bit more than once in two years).

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I hope Nyssa's and Sara's relationship actually factors into later episodes because the way it was handled here was kinda... eh. Especially with them shacking up at the end.

I liked the episode otherwise, but I don't know.

(I'll be honest, I would love an episode with flashbacks on her joining the league and the relationship forming but that's just me)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Oracle posted:

(He hooked up with Laurel, Huntress, and whoever River Tam is in this show, and now Sarah. That's a bit more than once in two years).

It... wouldn't? In fact it would explain it! Which is why I said it!

I'd forgotten about The Huntress, and don't remember when he slept with Laurel. And Sara doesn't count because the conversation was about him kissing Sara, because you posted that he was horny, in regards to him kissing Sara, and I said that he had only had sex once in the past two years(it turned out I was mistaken there,) to explain why Oliver would be horny at that moment.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
fwiw I don't think it's that weird that Roy wasn't around considering what happened last episode. Ollie probably just gave the dude a week off to process and come to terms with everything. Also this episode was over the span of like, two days wasn't it? It's not like Roy just hasn't been seen for a month.

teagone posted:

Katrina Law :allears:

Seriously, she was so drat good as Nyssa. Bonus points to the costume crew for giving her an awesome costume that isn't just some super tight leather pants. I mean, god drat:

Oracle posted:

I'm not sure what people's issue with this is. They specifically had Ollie mention multiple times in the episode about how he didn't want to lose Sarah again. Then in the span of a day he learns that his sister is actually Merlyn's daughter and almost loses Sarah. Then after all that they both have the emotional relief of Sarah's GIGANTIC secret being at least somewhat out there now, and the realization that she can have a (somewhat) normal life. It's not like they just decided to hook up out of the blue, there was a whole shitload of emotional tension there and I don't see why Ollie is apparently suddenly back to his playboy days just because of it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You know that Felicity is going to be PISSED when she finds out he hooked up with Sara.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Some Numbers posted:

You know that Felicity is going to be PISSED when she finds out he hooked up with Sara.

She's gonna be too busy dealing with the wrath of Moira Queen.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

It's not like they just decided to hook up out of the blue, there was a whole shitload of emotional tension there and I don't see why Ollie is apparently suddenly back to his playboy days just because of it.
I'm not suggesting he's back to his playboy days, I'm suggesting the last thing either of them need at this point in their lives is a complicated physical relationship, yet here we are. Again. And his track record in the romance department is not what you'd call stellar (see: Huntress aka more insane with grief/desire for revenge than even me, Isabel 'amoral, hostile business rival' Rochev (hey, she has a name!)).

I mean even he basically admitted to Felicity the reason they were never going to hook up was because she was a nice normal girl with a chance for a nice, normal life and he just... wasn't and didn't want to drag her into his drama or whatever. Which while noble when it comes to Felicity makes you kind of wonder what he thinks about Sarah.

When your criteria for a sexual partner is 'at least as hosed up as I know I am' things are probably not going to go well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I fist pumped when Ollie grabbed Sarah and they started making happy happy lovey time.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I know it's just "tv kissing" but god drat Amell you lucky rear end in a top hat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Something else I've noted, he's really growing as an actor. Last season his "emotional" scenes were a bit wooden. But when he confronted his mother he honestly looked like he was gonna bust out crying. Dude is awesome and growing as an actor.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Oracle posted:

I'm not suggesting he's back to his playboy days, I'm suggesting the last thing either of them need at this point in their lives is a complicated physical relationship, yet here we are. Again. And his track record in the romance department is not what you'd call stellar (see: Huntress aka more insane with grief/desire for revenge than even me, Isabel 'amoral, hostile business rival' Rochev (hey, she has a name!)).

I mean even he basically admitted to Felicity the reason they were never going to hook up was because she was a nice normal girl with a chance for a nice, normal life and he just... wasn't and didn't want to drag her into his drama or whatever. Which while noble when it comes to Felicity makes you kind of wonder what he thinks about Sarah.

When your criteria for a sexual partner is 'at least as hosed up as I know I am' things are probably not going to go well.

So Felicity just needs to go a bit psycho in order for Oliver to sleep with her?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Something else I've noted, he's really growing as an actor. Last season his "emotional" scenes were a bit wooden. But when he confronted his mother he honestly looked like he was gonna bust out crying. Dude is awesome and growing as an actor.

I thought that scene was excellent as well. That may have actually been my favorite scene of the episode.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

My fiancé went to high school with Katrina Law which is pretty cool. She's a big fan of Arrow but I don't tell her comic book/upcoming episode stuff because she doesn't like to be spoiled even a little. Well, boy was she surprised to see her old friend slaughter a few people in an airport and then make out with Katy Lotz.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oracle posted:

His relationship with Sarah is absolutely going to backfire hard on one or both of them.

vvvv Also totally possible. I don't think it's likely, but it's possible.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 6, 2014

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I honestly don't know why people think it's going to be a relationship as such, it seemed more like a friends with benefits thing. Especially because the impetus was, in my view, just Sara being angry about Laurel and Oliver being angry at his mom.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It's going to be something to make Felicity upset again.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

HitTheTargets posted:

Hey, I watched the show for the first time tonight. How representative of the show was tonight's episode? Because CW production values aside, I liked it and might watch more.

I mean, hell, I made Smallville my guilty pleasure show, I can stand awkward political speeches and gratuitous as hell lesbians if I get to see some more League of Assassins poo poo.

Very. The show is always extremely fast paced, has lots of action, no prolonged downtime, and no "monster of the week" episodes.

I still hate the Laurel scenes. She definitely is justified in having a beef with Sarah, but that was really over the top, she's had 6 drat years to get over the anger and miss her sister. Though I guess it fits in with her character always being a pedantic child.

VDay posted:

Seriously, she was so drat good as Nyssa. Bonus points to the costume crew for giving her an awesome costume that isn't just some super tight leather pants. I mean, god drat:

This so hard. That costume was loving awesome, I'm glad there's finally a female ninja chick who is dressed in more than tight leather that shows off cleavage. That's not the say the costume is practical, mind, but at least it's more than "hey look at my body".

Taffer fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 6, 2014

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ded posted:

It's going to be something to make Felicity upset again.

This is also going to happen.

Taffer posted:

I still hate the Laurel scenes. She definitely is justified in having a beef with Sarah, but that was really over the top, she's had 6 drat years to get over the anger and miss her sister. Though I guess it fits in with her character always being a pedantic child.

That's the thing, though. In this very episode, when Laurel was at the hospital, she told Quentin about how happy she was to have "hallucinated" about Sarah. She was absolutely basically over it at that point. The difference is, when she found out about Sarah, it happened when Sarah's bullshit wound up getting her loving mom kidnapped (and nearly killed), and all of her problems with Sarah bubbled back up to the surface. If it didn't happen within that context, it's entirely possible that Laurel wouldn't have reacted the way she did.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I know that's the justification, but it's weak at best. Her personal feelings are just a complete wreck, it's like the show is basically having one of the characters be bipolar but want us to take her emotions seriously.

I mean, based on the reactions in this thread I guess most people are fine with her, but god, her character and her acting just grate with me in all the worst ways. Thankfully this show kick major rear end in all other areas so it's no dealbreaker. Her dying would still be good for the show though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm pretty sure Deadpool asked the thread to shut up about Laurel a few weeks back because the discussion about how much the thread hates her and why was starting to get ridiculous. Posters here are not exactly fans of her character, it's just in this one specific instance her reactions make sense.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Cityinthesea posted:

I hope Nyssa's and Sara's relationship actually factors into later episodes because the way it was handled here was kinda... eh. Especially with them shacking up at the end.

I liked the episode otherwise, but I don't know.
Yeah, this is the one thing I will complain about with this episode and leave it at that. Major kudos to the writers for exploring Sara and Nyssa's sexuality as a key component of this storyline, yay for them being basically awesome characters with a lot of depth. Yay for bisexual representation, yay for friends and family being understanding of Sara's situation, etc so on so forth.

Nay for the same-gender relationship being depicted as emotionally abusive and ultimately toxic ("The only reason you're alive today is because of me" woooow girl) while Sara's opposite-gender relationship is represented in a comforting, cathartic light that feels like "home" to her. I mean, the context justifies it all perfectly but the subtext is just another in a long line of queer representation that feels somehow problematic. You got your first LGBT content on this show and it's kinda depicted as this terrible situation that Sara has to find a way to escape from in order to "return" to her old rightful relationship and it's like yeeeeeeeash.

Alright, anyway.

Felicity spoiler speculation, with some comic-related guesswork:
The showrunners have mentioned that Felicity's backstory about her parents has huge ramifications towards the end of this season. But what she actually mentioned about her parents is...pretty banal, right? Mother who's not great, father who left and who she can't remember well, yada yada abandonment issues blah blah.

So, my spec: Felicity is Slade's daughter.

I mean, there's literally no way her absentee father who she doesn't remember isn't going to factor somehow, and there's virtually no other possible candidate for that position left other than Slade...the guy who said that "corrupting" her is on his to-do list.

My completely unsubstantiated rando guesswork is that the show plans to convert her into a sort of Rose Wilson/Tara Markov amalgam.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Guys it's happening! Laurel's world is RAVAGED. Slade gonna get him some Apprentice :neckbeard:

Eddain
May 6, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, this is the one thing I will complain about with this episode and leave it at that. Major kudos to the writers for exploring Sara and Nyssa's sexuality as a key component of this storyline, yay for them being basically awesome characters with a lot of depth. Yay for bisexual representation, yay for friends and family being understanding of Sara's situation, etc so on so forth.

Nay for the same-gender relationship being depicted as emotionally abusive and ultimately toxic ("The only reason you're alive today is because of me" woooow girl) while Sara's opposite-gender relationship is represented in a comforting, cathartic light that feels like "home" to her. I mean, the context justifies it all perfectly but the subtext is just another in a long line of queer representation that feels somehow problematic. You got your first LGBT content on this show and it's kinda depicted as this terrible situation that Sara has to find a way to escape from in order to "return" to her old rightful relationship and it's like yeeeeeeeash.

Alright, anyway.

Felicity spoiler speculation, with some comic-related guesswork:
The showrunners have mentioned that Felicity's backstory about her parents has huge ramifications towards the end of this season. But what she actually mentioned about her parents is...pretty banal, right? Mother who's not great, father who left and who she can't remember well, yada yada abandonment issues blah blah.

So, my spec: Felicity is Slade's daughter.

I mean, there's literally no way her absentee father who she doesn't remember isn't going to factor somehow, and there's virtually no other possible candidate for that position left other than Slade...the guy who said that "corrupting" her is on his to-do list.

My completely unsubstantiated rando guesswork is that the show plans to convert her into a sort of Rose Wilson/Tara Markov amalgam.

Dude only had a son when he left and she's like Oliver's age. Timeline doesn't add up.

UberAaron
Feb 11, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eddain posted:

Dude only had a son when he left and she's like Oliver's age. Timeline doesn't add up.

Obviously, Felicity is Talia al Ghul. :getin:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think the discussion got nasty when people focused exclusively on her looks - discussing the show's increased Laurel screentime is absolutely something worth talking about.

I don't know, guys. I didn't love tonight's episode. I'm not sure why Nyssa didn't entirely convince me - I liked the performance and the surprisingly nuanced handling of Sara's sexuality.

But every now and then, the show reminds me of just how balls-out goofy it can be. I guess for me I preferred the League of Assasins when they appeared last time - I really did feel like the stakes had been raised and Oliver's life was about to get much tougher.

To reduce that to a jilted lover, irked me and I'm not sure why.

I'm firmly on the "Moira Queen for Mayor is a fun storyline" bandwagon, though. It's absurd, but also the right kind of absurdity. Reminds me of when Friday Night Lights suddenly had Tami Taylor become a Principal. It's a bullshit plot choice, but it doesn't matter much because of how many opportunities the new plot cracks open.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Caity Lotz, goddamn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Eddain posted:

He only mentioned a son. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread