Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some of those recipes are very slightly on the semi-homemade side of things. Like this one:

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

What gets me about it is that you start off by doing some stuff that's gonna turn out pretty decent all on its own and then it goes straight to DUMP IN TWO CANS OF SOUP. Congratulations you didn't so much "cook" as "heat up some canned soup with other stuff."

Buuut others like the brussels sprouts one are perfectly fine, will probably turn out really good and are pretty easy so on the whole, me and this strip, we cool.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

I'm just curious where these guys shop that Brie cheese is cheap.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Bro Enlai posted:

I'm just curious where these guys shop that Brie cheese is cheap.

That lovely president brie is cheap. Tastes like it too. Presumably, you can also use any soft runny cheese like Camembert as well.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Mister Beeg posted:

Has anyone ever considered trying to cook anything from this strip? I'll admit that I was tempted to when I read the strip in my paper, but I never got around to it because we never had any necessary ingredients.

I saved the one about turkey cabbage rolls so that I can make it later. The loaded baked potato soup looks pretty good, but not quite as good as just having some loaded baked potatoes. Seems pretty hit-or-miss, but I like it and I hope Darthemed never stops posting it. :3::hf::chef:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Dude looks like Mark Hamill.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Funnies (#1, July 2011)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #49, September 1959)

Thorn (February 16-17, 1984)

:smith:

Lucky Cow (April 22-24, 2004)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

The only thing I can come up with (after spending more time looking at this than I'd care to admit to) is because her hat matches her purse and shoes. I'm not sure how this would really rule out her stealing the hat today, though.

Edit: I feel like the answer probably relates to the water dripping from his umbrella, but can't see any indication of her hat being wet or dry.

CaptainCaveman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 5, 2014

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

Has anyone ever considered trying to cook anything from this strip? I'll admit that I was tempted to when I read the strip in my paper, but I never got around to it because we never had any necessary ingredients.

I did the first one that was posted. The huevos rancheros on a tortilla. Except for a mistake on my part where I didn't grease up the pan and the tortilla stuck, it was drat good.

Ham Shears January 24, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Been a while since I last posted Holy Molé.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Mister Beeg posted:

Thorn (February 16-17, 1984)

:smith:

Oh poo poo :stare:

Thanks for so much for posting Thorn. Seriously, if you are even remotely enjoying Thorn, go read Bone as soon as possible.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

CaptainCaveman posted:

The only thing I can come up with (after spending more time looking at this than I'd care to admit to) is because her hat matches her purse and shoes. I'm not sure how this would really rule out her stealing the hat today, though.

Edit: I feel like the answer probably relates to the water dripping from his umbrella, but can't see any indication of her hat being wet or dry.

None of the head mannequins are missing hats, so she couldn't have taken anything that was on display.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

It's actually just filled with water, but he likes to pretend.

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Wanamingo posted:

Zippy the Pinhead

What the gently caress happened here? I mean, Zippy can be pretty incomprehensible sometimes, but this is like a really bad acid trip. This is a guest artist, right?

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Also, this. I liked it starting out, but now I'm thoroughly confused.

igtenos55
Jun 14, 2001

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

The girl is a "zombie" because her brain has been cloned into another body.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

LtStorm posted:

The "ravening beast" strips really creep me out. It's like Brooke is trying to romanticize men being uncontrollable rapists and women should totally want to have that effect on them. :psyduck:

Thank you! These strips have been driving me nuts but until now I haven't been able to verbalize why. Other good Brooke comments- that person a while back who wrote he's from the school of writers that think sexual aggressiveness is the only positive character trait strong female characters need.

Explains a lot about Gilchrist too.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Off the top of my head- the main guy is detecting something in the future. At some point the chick has figured out she's been reincarnated in a new organic body with her old brain and is just being a goofy spaz about it. The bald guy is explaining what's actually going on to the main detective character who apparently hasn't been keeping up on the latest technological trends. I think the mystery has something to do with an image that came from the hamburger. Not sure what the chick and the bald guy's relationship to the investigation is. Maybe they're the ones who hired him?

That doesn't actually make a lot of sense now that I've written it out. Still easier to keep track of than Jane's World, though.

Comics (January 23rd 2007)

All right, I think I've finally figured out how future generations will define the kitsch culture 2000's. The decade not the century. Ugh, how did people describe that decade a hundred years ago?

La Cucaracha

Doonesbury

The Duplex

F-Minus

Non Sequitur

---

Eyebeam

Boy, thank goodness we changed those laws so crazy people can't get guns anymore!

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Yeah there's no good way to translate that slang short of just rewriting completely new slang.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 8-10, 1926)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Some Guy TT posted:

Off the top of my head- the main guy is detecting something in the future. At some point the chick has figured out she's been reincarnated in a new organic body with her old brain and is just being a goofy spaz about it. The bald guy is explaining what's actually going on to the main detective character who apparently hasn't been keeping up on the latest technological trends. I think the mystery has something to do with an image that came from the hamburger. Not sure what the chick and the bald guy's relationship to the investigation is. Maybe they're the ones who hired him?

That doesn't actually make a lot of sense now that I've written it out. Still easier to keep track of than Jane's World, though.

I think the mystery they're being hired for is to find out how and why the woman was cloned, and the hamburger is there just because Zachary is burgin'.

I'm not liking the comic too much, to be honest. I am starting it from the very beginning, though, so I'll give it a chance and keep posting it at least until the end of the first arc.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I dunno, your hair looks pretty dumb for starters and you can really do better than that turtleneck getup.

Retail

Is this week like recap or :effort: week because I'm pretty sure Retail has done some variant of all these before.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

You'd think Karl would be immune to that stuff by now.

Dustin

Turns out bad people exist.

On the Fastrack

An incompetence plea? And I'm sure clunky malware is still malware.

Safe Havens

I don't think that was a great idea considering you have a young kid to take care of and presumably he wouldn't want his mom dying 10 years from now. Now you have to time-travel to the past to prevent yourself from time-traveling to the future.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

I don't think that was a great idea considering you have a young kid to take care of and presumably he wouldn't want his mom dying 10 years from now. Now you have to time-travel to the past to prevent yourself from time-traveling to the future.

I'd say you're overthinking a dumb joke, but this being a Holbrook comic, I really would not be surprised if that becomes a serious plot point.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Midnight Moth posted:

Gil

I dunno, your hair looks pretty dumb for starters and you can really do better than that turtleneck getup.

That's an easy one, just start calling her broomstick or carrot top. Or go with the endless wealth of ginger insults.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

What the gently caress happened here? I mean, Zippy can be pretty incomprehensible sometimes, but this is like a really bad acid trip. This is a guest artist, right?
I can't really answer that first question -- figuring out what the gently caress happened in Zippy is rarely easy (or worth it, honestly) -- but yeah, it seems to be a guest artist. Conrad Neruig? Something like that? I can't really read the signature in the gutter.

I do think that using cutouts of the text from old ads for the speech balloons is pretty cool, though.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Is this a weed joke? Is Arlo and Janis either about sex or weed?

F Minus

Mary Worth

The little girl is taking the news of her parents' divorce really well.

Rex Morgan, MD

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Turns out bad people exist.

You would think she would recognize her husband's voice.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In my head Foxy Grandpa sounds exactly like Tim from Grand Illusions.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Trapped in gif factory send help

Honour or death!
You're an rear end...

God DAMMIT Edward

Make the post or I'll blow your brains out

:itisadickbutt:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Johnny Walker posted:

Is this a weed joke? Is Arlo and Janis either about sex or weed?

Or Jimmy Buffett.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pakled posted:

Everett True
March 30, 1918

"Brown bread" obviously means something different here to the definition I'm used to, which is just wholemeal bread. Is this an American thing, or a 100 years ago thing or what? And what does "brown bread" actually refer to here? Rye bread? Does "white bread" mean any wheat bread, whether it's made of wholemeal or white flour?

Because she's a noble, upstanding lynx, not some filthy rat or raccoon.

Volume posted:

Ham Shears January 24, 2014

I don't know if this is an intentional Mary Worth parody or not, but either way it's pretty great.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

This reads like it should be a book, not a daily strip. It's really hard to follow in these small chunks.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tiggum posted:

"Brown bread" obviously means something different here to the definition I'm used to, which is just wholemeal bread. Is this an American thing, or a 100 years ago thing or what? And what does "brown bread" actually refer to here? Rye bread? Does "white bread" mean any wheat bread, whether it's made of wholemeal or white flour?

In the past, white bread was considered a luxury (since it discards so much of the wheat and requires more processing and sifting, and then it's bleached too) and white fluffy bread wasn't what most people used, they used whole meal flour and the resulting bread was darker and denser, and healthier but back in those days they didn't know that and white probably equaled healthy in most peoples minds.

About a century ago was about when typical white flour was becoming affordable for your average folks I believe.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Trilobite posted:

I can't really answer that first question -- figuring out what the gently caress happened in Zippy is rarely easy (or worth it, honestly) -- but yeah, it seems to be a guest artist. Conrad Neruig? Something like that? I can't really read the signature in the gutter.

Conrad Nervig, which is the name of a Hollywood editor (first winner of the editing Oscar back in the 30s) who died in 1980 and was not in the habit of drawing cartoons as far as I know. This whole thing is just what Griffith has decided he wants to be doing this week. I like it. A lot of the time (though not always) it's best to just take Zippy as a parade of inscrutable Americana, I think.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

An incompetence plea? And I'm sure clunky malware is still malware.
As the Prosecution I call character witness RealPlayer.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Dude, Lady Lynx is wearing a fur coat. A fur coat. Whether or not she took a hat is the least of your worries.

It's herbivore fur that she killed herself. What's to worry about in that?

Follow your heart, Science Wolf! :3:

Jim's Journal

Huh. First I've ever heard of it.

Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future

:smug: "I can't wait to see that customer!"

:wth:

"Far away, like the music of the stars..." :lsd:

"It's not possible!" :aaaaa:

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Conrad Nervig, which is the name of a Hollywood editor (first winner of the editing Oscar back in the 30s) who died in 1980 and was not in the habit of drawing cartoons as far as I know. This whole thing is just what Griffith has decided he wants to be doing this week. I like it. A lot of the time (though not always) it's best to just take Zippy as a parade of inscrutable Americana, I think.

"Fletcher and Tanya" is the most popular comic strip in the Pinhead world, and all it is is Fletcher n' Tanya saying 40s and 50s advertising copy. It's not a guest artist, it's a strip within a strip.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

His Divine Shadow posted:

In the past, white bread was considered a luxury (since it discards so much of the wheat and requires more processing and sifting, and then it's bleached too) and white fluffy bread wasn't what most people used, they used whole meal flour and the resulting bread was darker and denser, and healthier but back in those days they didn't know that and white probably equaled healthy in most peoples minds.

About a century ago was about when typical white flour was becoming affordable for your average folks I believe.

But she says he can't have white bread because it's a wheatless day. Wholemeal bread is still made of wheat.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The Exiting Adventures of Moomin

Everyone shall be converted to the side of Moomin. :toot:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Tiggum posted:

But she says he can't have white bread because it's a wheatless day. Wholemeal bread is still made of wheat.

Well, he was using the language loosely, and when he said "wheat" he meant "the good wheat, not this garbage wheat I wouldn't give to my char woman."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jeez, people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_bread

Also, this stuff is pretty good if really odd:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac has a good point.

The Creeps gives you something else to look up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

To me, the "making fun of Donald Trump's hair" set of strips were hilarious. These are great.

And, it's 2014! Where's my drat Dan Dare Water Jeep Bitchtits! :v: Seriously, thanks for posting DD I was losing it there for a while.

Jane's World

Ooops.

Non Sequitur

Gotta admit, she knows her game. :v:

Heavenly Nostrils

Kliban's Cats

Just in time for the Sochi insanity.

9 Chickweed Lane 2/6/2003

Horse = Dead + Beating. This is stupid now, Brooke, stop it.

Zits

A self-fulfilling prophecy joke?

Kevin & Kell

:ughh:

Nemi

I don't know if mixing Tolkien with Chess is a good idea, Nemi. :3:

• Locked thread