Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's got to be an achievement somewhere down the road.

"Starting as the count of Vestisland, form the Kingdom of Bengal".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I realize it's largely for the sake of gameplay convenience but how often did inheritance laws change in most regions? Cannot have been that easy to gently caress with the realm's laws like that, even for a king.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

regularizer posted:

I just reinstalled CK2 through steam and it isn't recognizing my DLC. I have everything except Sunset Invasion and Sons of Abraham, but in game none of the little circles are showing up when I'm selecting a character from the map, even though everything is checked in the launcher window. I had this problem a few months ago, but it only wasn't recognizing The Old Gods after I had initially installed it. Has anyone had this problem? I'm playing on an MBA, and every time I open the game through steam a little popup says the game quit unexpectedly, and I can only get to the launcher if I click the 'reopen' button.

Have you tried validating the game cache?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Has Pdox mentioned anything about finally addressing long distance interaction poo poo now that they're adding another third to the map? On the one hand, it's long overdue; on the other, I still want to WC as a West African Jain emperor of Brittania.

There'll be a diplomatic range limitation in RoI, don't have details but it'll be in a DD at some point.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Has Pdox mentioned anything about finally addressing long distance interaction poo poo now that they're adding another third to the map? On the one hand, it's long overdue; on the other, I still want to WC as a West African Jain emperor of Brittania.

What do they need to do? Nobody will join your court of marry someone in your court as long as they have the long religion, so there will be no Hindu bride or Jain councilor for your Irish duke. So no inheriting Indian counties, no alliances with distant Rajas, no easy converting to Buddhism. I don't see any problem?

If you mean the fog of war then I hope nothing changes. Seeing distant realms develop in unexpected ways is one of the best things about CK2.

^^ Edit: Nooo Paradox, why are you guys doing this. :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Torrannor posted:

What do they need to do? Nobody will join your court of marry someone in your court as long as they have the long religion, so there will be no Hindu bride or Jain councilor for your Irish duke. So no inheriting Indian counties, no alliances with distant Rajas, no easy converting to Buddhism. I don't see any problem?

If you mean the fog of war then I hope nothing changes. Seeing distant realms develop in unexpected ways is one of the best things about CK2.

Saxon England, for example, is the most beautiful of rarities and I always love it when it does happen. Do not deprive me of my England voyeurism, game :argh:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
If ever there was a case for quitting the game for the night, it's now. At this point I'd be happy if the next expansion after Indiatown is nothing but an AI fix so that stuff doesn't have to get dumb.

I declare the normal Norse county stomp against four rulers in Finland. Of course, as soon as I'm committed my ruler suddenly dies after leading armies for years after he hit his 60s. I wondered why the game chose now to kill him, since it's a cakewalk battle and I have contingency plans. My gold vault is full and my MA is high and maybe this next guy will be the guy to reform. No factions so it should be smooth sailing.

Then the kingdom claim came. I wondered for a few seconds why the AI called a non-faction claim almost immediately. Then I unpaused and the rebels flocking fired along with a bunch of instant supporters. That's not a problem. I tried plotkilling him but at ~230% I failed six times (getting discovered every time) as well as being discovered twice in the planning. It only eventually killed him at ~95% warscore. Cue a save reload. I canceled the plot, mopped up my conquest wars and set to chasing the army of boats each carrying just enough to siege a county. It took a ton of gold and a lot of shift-queuing to eventually get them, but I had the war at 80% and just needed to clean up the 800ish stacks that were sieging down everything. It was close, but it was doable. Cheatstacks ain't got nothing on me.

Then the second instant claim came. Again, I wondered :wtc: until I unpaused and saw the rebels flocking. This took every last boat, a trip to Iceland and massive trickery. Two hours I'd been handling shift-queuing to take back counties pillaged by magic boats with magic troops. I cleared out the first war, imprisoning half the realm, and considering I was still at war with the other half it looked like a total reset. My tiny 4k demesne had prevailed against two wars with 50k+ guys and the 2k gold (read: almost everything) I'd spent to get here was worth the story. It was over ten years of not giving up on Norway.

Then, at 99% with a day left until the remnants of my force caught the last stack, the game kills off the claimant and makes the entire war pointless.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Saxon England, for example, is the most beautiful of rarities and I always love it when it does happen. Do not deprive me of my England voyeurism, game :argh:

Playing as mercia in OG start is one of my favourite games. There's so many things you can do with it, but you have to manage your armies and money very very carefully. Fighting off the vikings, dealing with prepared invasions, the fact that cornwall seems to be claimed by west francia every single time I play....

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

alcaras posted:

Suggestions on a nice one county start as Norse? I don't want anyone with event troops and I'd like to use character designer to customize my dynasty and founder (still Ironman though).

Dublin is my usual count start. You begin as a vassal, but you have easy access to raid and conquer all the little 1 province Irish counts.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure you'll still be able to SEE them, you just won't be able to marry/gift/talk to/assassinate people in Saxon England from Ceylon.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Pretty sure you'll still be able to SEE them, you just won't be able to marry/gift/talk to/assassinate people in Saxon England from Ceylon.

I desperately hope that the changes include range limitations on Viking raids. I'm seriously tired of raiding parties landing in loving Sicily every time I move my retinues away.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I am actually quite looking forward to the addition of range limits. I think it'll actually make the world seem a whole lot bigger, if there's a sense of range or scale to the way you can interact with other leaders. Like, you might go the whole game without being able to interact with someone from far off, like India, if you're living somewhere in northwestern Europe. So if it managed to happen, there'll be more "wow!" factor.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Why not? There may have not been much contact between Europe and India, but distance limits are really easy to get wrong since there was a surprising amount of long-distance diplomacy and even marriage in medieval days. It only seems overly-easy for us because waiting a couple months for a courier to haul the message to distant realms takes only a few seconds on 5x speed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I think if I were doing a distance mechanic, I might make it based on religious zones. So your Irish emissary that wants to visit India can't trace a path through open ocean or fellow Christian land (interrupted by middle east Muslims) and thus can't talk to India or Christian Ethiopia or whatever. But if Crusaders conquer Egypt or the mid east to Basra, the British emissary can trace through open ocean, Christian states, and back to open ocean to reach India.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

According to Wikipedia, Gavelkind itself was pretty rare (being mainly a Welsh invention), but other "partible inheritance" systems which similarly split property between the sons were widely used. Most importantly, it was customary among the Germanic tribes, including the Carolingian Empire, which led to a lot of troublesome successions and civil wars and was undoubtedly a major contributing factor to the decline and final division of the empire.

It happened at least twice with the entire Roman Empire, too. The first time also shows us everything wrong with gavelkind.

"Hey, I'm going to divide the empire between six of my sons, who have all learnt everything they know about statecraft from me, a guy who betrayed all of his allies in his rise to power, who killed his own son because he might have been plotting against him, and who then killed his wife because she might have framed his son for plotting against him. I do this after ruthlessly uniting the empire after decades of division. The partition will also be arbitrary and leave all of my heirs unsatisfied. They totally won't start killing each other days after my funeral. There is no way this can go wrong."

CK2's AI and succession mechanics have nothing on Constantine the :downs:

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

alcaras posted:

Suggestions on a nice one county start as Norse? I don't want anyone with event troops and I'd like to use character designer to customize my dynasty and founder (still Ironman though).

I've found Skane to be a pretty nice starting county. Its part of de jure Denmark if you're having problems finding it.

No event troops.
Away from the clusterfuck isles.
Realistic chance of independence early on if you want.
Good upgrading potential (2 empty slots for castles)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Fintilgin posted:

I think if I were doing a distance mechanic, I might make it based on religious zones. So your Irish emissary that wants to visit India can't trace a path through open ocean or fellow Christian land (interrupted by middle east Muslims) and thus can't talk to India or Christian Ethiopia or whatever. But if Crusaders conquer Egypt or the mid east to Basra, the British emissary can trace through open ocean, Christian states, and back to open ocean to reach India.

I'd like it if there was some reflection of the renown of your character when handling this stuff I posted an idea for that system for that a while ago, but in short I think that outside your own realm the relative interest foreign rulers have in your proposals should taper off until proposals are disregarded altogether. That would be affected by your rank, your prestige, and the religions of the provinces your proposal travels through to reach the recipient. So the idea would be that an Irish count wouldn't necessarily be able to send a proposal to India, but a particularly famous/prestigious Irish king might be able to, and while getting a message through states of opposing religion would be difficult, it wouldn't be out of the question for a French king to get an envoy through them to the Mongols, as happened historically.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Have paradox said anything about the India DLC being compatible with old savegames? I'm guessing the answer is big drat "no". Which is kind of sad for my part as I'm in only 200 years from completing a pretty interesting game that I plan to export over to EUIV, with a Castillian culture Sunni Hispanian empire, Gnostic Byzantines, Hungary ruled by the Knights Hospitaler, enormous Damascus-based Shia caliphate in the Middle East and reformed Tengri in almost the entirety of Eastern Europe and Central Asia.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Randarkman posted:

Have paradox said anything about the India DLC being compatible with old savegames? I'm guessing the answer is big drat "no". Which is kind of sad for my part as I'm in only 200 years from completing a pretty interesting game that I plan to export over to EUIV, with a Castillian culture Sunni Hispanian empire, Gnostic Byzantines, Hungary ruled by the Knights Hospitaler, enormous Damascus-based Shia caliphate in the Middle East and reformed Tengri in almost the entirety of Eastern Europe and Central Asia.

It was stated earlier that it wouldn't be due to the map changes.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

It was stated earlier that it wouldn't be due to the map changes.

But the current version will remain on steam as a beta option if you need to finish any games up, so that's cool.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

If I'm a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire and I use "depose liege" casus belli on the kaiser and win the war, I can install myself as kaiser, correct? As long as I'm eligible to be elected his heir?

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Have you tried validating the game cache?

Yeah it didn't do anything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Parallax Scroll posted:

If I'm a vassal of the Holy Roman Empire and I use "depose liege" casus belli on the kaiser and win the war, I can install myself as kaiser, correct? As long as I'm eligible to be elected his heir?

It sets up the next person in line, I believe. If you highlight the Casus Belli in the "Declare War" Menu it will show you the exact results of Win, Lose and White Peace.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

It sets up the next person in line, I believe. If you highlight the Casus Belli in the "Declare War" Menu it will show you the exact results of Win, Lose and White Peace.

It says if I win I can install my preferred heir.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

It says if I win I can install my preferred heir.

It doesn't let you pick the heir, though - the game automatically transfers the title to the eligible heir that your character has the highest opinion of. I'm not sure if your character counts himself in that; I'm pretty sure if you hover over the CB to get the exact results of win/draw/loss, it'll tell you exactly which heir will be installed as the new ruler if you win.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Your preferred heir under elective is whoever you're voting for. So use it while voting for yourself and you'll get it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Allyn posted:

Your preferred heir under elective is whoever you're voting for. So use it while voting for yourself and you'll get it.

Looks that way. If I change my vote and then mouse-over on the declare war screen, it changes who the kaiser would abdicate to.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Main Paineframe posted:

According to Wikipedia, Gavelkind itself was pretty rare (being mainly a Welsh invention), but other "partible inheritance" systems which similarly split property between the sons were widely used. Most importantly, it was customary among the Germanic tribes, including the Carolingian Empire, which led to a lot of troublesome successions and civil wars and was undoubtedly a major contributing factor to the decline and final division of the empire.

Huh ok. I'm really way more familiar with Asia than Europe, and i've never heard of an Indian state using any partition system with the exception of the Malla kingdom in 1484 being split into Kathmandu, Pattan, and Bhaktipur (which in the scale of CK would actually be like "making new vassals for the City and Church holdings," and coincidentally Pattan was mostly known as a commercial city and Bhaktipur means "city of devotion"). The only "common" partible inheritance system i'm familiar with is Tibetan, which is basically gavelkind, and is also the only culture that has widely practiced polyandry, to give you an idea of how loving weird they are. Hindu states would reasonably be primogeniture, since that was the sponsored system of the Laws of Manu. I know at least one state did matrilineal inheritance, and there was a weird thing for a while where all sons would inherit but the estate wouldn't be partitioned, which in practice comes out to seniority.

Do we have a date for when it hits? I'm pretty pumped for this.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think my Irish game glitched. Started as an Irish Count that's a Vassal, Tanisy succession, I was slated as the heir - but when the petty king died, it went to his kid.

what happened?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What happened? I was deposed fairly late in the game literally 1 province away from restoring the borders after clawing my way back from the Alexiad start and I managed to battle my way back to the throne in another bloody coup.

Half my duchies revolted with the main one getting around 500k in doom stacks. I tried to be strategic about beating them using my 60k Cataphract levy army with hit and run tactics as they suffer attrition but eventually it got caught and I lost everything. So gently caress that poo poo.

Im going to take a break from epic conquest games and try some small Medieval drama. What's a good German character to start with in 1066 that might be in a position to someday form Germany?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Have you ever started as the single county Hapsburg ruler?

edit: he's in southwest Germany somewhere, I forgot which county he has.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Aargau. I went from him to Emperor by the second generation, somehow -- only took 15 years or something :stare: My family now dominates HRE politics and have expanded massively and won the first Crusade... I stopped playing before 1200 because it had easily hit that critical mass point of just not being challenging anymore.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If the HRE takes over all of the map and then is ported into EU4, would you have a massive amount of HRE electors constantly trying to get votes? Everyone in Europe and the middle east and northern africa, all wanting to be emperor!!!

Could make for a fun game with Sunset Invasion. Massive HRE vs. Massive Aztecs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

If the HRE takes over all of the map and then is ported into EU4, would you have a massive amount of HRE electors constantly trying to get votes? Everyone in Europe and the middle east and northern africa, all wanting to be emperor!!!

Could make for a fun game with Sunset Invasion. Massive HRE vs. Massive Aztecs.

Only if it has "Autonomous Vassals" crown Authority will it end up as a bunch of small states like it is in EUIV. Otherwise, it'll be a big grey blob.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Only if it has "Autonomous Vassals" crown Authority will it end up as a bunch of small states like it is in EUIV. Otherwise, it'll be a big grey blob.

The HRE uses the EUIV HRE mechanics unless you are at Absolute Crown Authority at game end.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DrSunshine posted:

I thought there was a special rule for the HRE that converts it as a horde of countries with the EUIV rules UNLESS it has MAX crown authority?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

The HRE uses the EUIV HRE mechanics unless you are at Absolute Crown Authority at game end.

Ohh I see! Huh, I must've read the patch notes wrong, then.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

I realize it's largely for the sake of gameplay convenience but how often did inheritance laws change in most regions? Cannot have been that easy to gently caress with the realm's laws like that, even for a king.
Sometimes law changes like that were a thing that just kind of happened. Been reading up on the Kingdom of Jerusalem a bit, and it seems that the crown of Jerusalem went from Agnatic to Cognatic or Ag-Cog when Baldwin II one day basically just up and told his court that his eldest daughter, Mélisende, was his heir, and that was that. Likewise, the first kings of Jerusalem had at least a pretense of being elected, but by the 13th century it was flat-out hereditary and nobody pretended otherwise. It just kind of quietly transitioned from one to the other.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Tulip posted:

Do we have a date for when it hits? I'm pretty pumped for this.
If they're doing dev diaries then it's going to be a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

If they're doing dev diaries then it's going to be a while.

OK so i can probably complete a few games before then.

• Locked thread