Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Luminaflare posted:

The mentioning of Seattle makes me think of the space needle being used as some sort of magical conduit.

Yep, in a Dresden game I was in:

You know how the apartment building in Ghostbusters was like a big radio antenna/magnet for ghost poo poo?

Yeah the Space Needle was like that, but being used as a beacon through the Never Never by a cult of Warlocks trying to turn the world inside out and merge with the Never Never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Yep, in a Dresden game I was in:

You know how the apartment building in Ghostbusters was like a big radio antenna/magnet for ghost poo poo?

Yeah the Space Needle was like that, but being used as a beacon through the Never Never by a cult of Warlocks trying to turn the world inside out and merge with the Never Never.

Yeah, I was thinking of making the Great Salt Lake or the Wasatch Mountains (or even the big arch you see on Utah license plates) have something to do with supernatural elements within Utah. If I changed it to Vegas, then whatever geographical/man-made features I find interesting there would probably be given that "power".

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Dresden certainly isn't an atheist or agnostic. He outright mocks Sanya over it.

He just doesn't consider himself to belong to any major religions. He believes in their gods ( he's met enough people high up in various faiths to know they exist) but chooses not to worship any. He's pretty much a theist. He knows the deities exist. He just views them as Nevernever power players though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

treeboy posted:

edit: personally i'm kinda sad that, with the exception of Shiro's backstory, Butcher has failed to mention anything other than "Catholicism" (the 'Church') as christianity in his universe. There's a ton of potential conflict and story hooks which could include various flavors of not-catholic christianity which might be fun to see. I get that it probably doesn't fit his vision, or at least the planned story arc, but it'd be interesting as an RPG supplement if nothing else. I may be biased as a Mormon though.

The nice thing about Catholicism is that you have the mystical folklore present in many old cultures along with it being a world wide phenomenon. Most Protestant sects don't really have that because they're only about 500 years old and they focused more on stripping away folklore in favor of just the Bible.

That being said, you could probably write a pretty good story involving Orthodox or Coptic faiths just fine, or even Mormons as mentioned.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

The mentioning of Seattle makes me think of the space needle being used as some sort of magical conduit.

That's why the Seahawks won so handily on Sunday!

Man, I really need to get a Dresden game going in Seattle, I love that city.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

SolTerrasa posted:

That's why the Seahawks won so handily on Sunday!

Man, I really need to get a Dresden game going in Seattle, I love that city.

There is a hilarious Dresden short story about a goat and why the Bears Cubs always lose so it has some precedent.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 5, 2014

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Allright im going to lay out some crazy theories.

Mab loses power of the Winter queen to Molly. During the apocalyptic trilogy Molly(Mab) has to break a promise thus creating the Empty Night. And somewhere during this the original Mab calls in the last favour dresden owes her to make him do something.

Thoughts?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Azuth0667 posted:

There is a hilarious Dresden short story about a goat and why the Bears always lose so it has some precedent.

Come on, son.

It's the Cubs!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Exmond posted:

Allright im going to lay out some crazy theories.

Mab loses power of the Winter queen to Molly. During the apocalyptic trilogy Molly(Mab) has to break a promise thus creating the Empty Night. And somewhere during this the original Mab calls in the last favour dresden owes her to make him do something.

Thoughts?

Dresden's debts were cleared when he suited up, and how would Mab lose her powers and still be alive?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

The Sex Cannon posted:

Come on, son.

It's the Cubs!

Ah oops.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If, if there's anything to the "The stars will fall from the sky before Mab breaks her word" other than a turn of phrase, I cannot help but feel it's the promise that Harry extracted from her in Changes to never send him after someone he loves that's going to get broken. If Murphy, or Molly, or Thomas were to be subverted by Nemesis...

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

how would Mab lose her powers and still be alive?

I now want to see a story wherein Mab has to spend a day as a mortal for the usual bullshit reasons that Fae have to do that sort of thing from time to time, and Harry has to act as her bodyguard/babysitter.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

docbeard posted:

I now want to see a story wherein Mab has to spend a day as a mortal for the usual bullshit reasons that Fae have to do that sort of thing from time to time, and Harry has to act as her bodyguard/babysitter.

Well, it has been a while since her last trip to Disney World...

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Dresden's debts were cleared when he suited up, and how would Mab lose her powers and still be alive?

Actually they weren't. He passed on that deal and made no mention of it when he asked to take up the mantel.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
No, the standing offer from Mab, ever since Summer Knight, was that all his remaining debts would be wiped clean if he took up the mantle.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Even if the last favor hadn't been wiped clean, exactly what leverage would it give Mab over Harry that she doesn't already have? He already had the option of refusing to do any given favor.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I'm not sure if his debt was wiped out, though, because he said he'd become Winter Knight if Mab would heal him

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
She is completely beyond the point of collecting debts from him though. "Do this because I loving well told you so, Sir Knight."

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Knowing Mab, she could be saving that favour for if she needs to make Harry do something that would violate the agreement he made before becoming Knight.

"Oh this isn't an order, I'm just calling in a favour..."

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Knowing Mab, she could be saving that favour for if she needs to make Harry do something that would violate the agreement he made before becoming Knight.

"Oh this isn't an order, I'm just calling in a favour..."

Firstly, he just removes said favour. Remember that clause?

Secondly, whatever bargains he made, Mab never withdrew her offer of all debts cleared by the mantle so he doesn't owe her poo poo outside of his duties as winter knight.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Masonity posted:

Secondly, whatever bargains he made, Mab never withdrew her offer of all debts cleared by the mantle so he doesn't owe her poo poo outside of his duties as winter knight.

It kind of feels like something one of the fae would call out on. "You rejected my offer of removing all favours when i made my first offer, why did you think it applied to the second offer? I never said id remove your debt to me the second time"

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Masonity posted:

I don't remember the exact conversation when he became Knight, so no :v:

Assuming it wasn't explicitly addressed, Harry proposing that she make him Winter Knight and heal him could be taken as a counter-offer, which would mean a rejection of the original offer and the tabling of a new one (which in this case would have no such deal about removing the favour).

This is all kind of moot because I don't have my book handy so I can't go back and read the actual wording.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Masonity posted:

She'd just freeze his eyeballs "out of spite" again.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

apostateCourier posted:

She'd just freeze his eyeballs "out of spite" again.

Yeah it would be tricky to get harry to do the favour but he can reject doing it. I think it would be interesting if it came up somehow though.

Edit: Holy crap what if Mab traded the last favour harry owed her?

Exmond fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 6, 2014

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Exmond posted:

Yeah it would be tricky to get harry to do the favour but he can reject doing it. I think it would be interesting if it came up somehow though.

I don't remember the exact conversation when he became Knight, so no :v:

Assuming it wasn't explicitly addressed, Harry proposing that she make him Winter Knight and heal him could be taken as a counter-offer, which would mean a rejection of the original offer and the tabling of a new one (which in this case would have no such deal about removing the favour).

This is all kind of moot because I don't have my book handy so I can't go back and read the actual wording.

Exmond posted:

It kind of feels like something one of the fae would call out on. "You rejected my offer of removing all favours when i made my first offer, why did you think it applied to the second offer? I never said id remove your debt to me the second time"
you're all forgetting how seriously Mab takes her Accords. what makes you think that she would idly go around breaking promises while also being the overlord of the Winter Fae and quasi-guardian of the Outer Gates. Look how the beings who have betrayed Mab ended up(Slate, the Leanansidhe) then ask yourself why she would break her given word

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

MasterFugu posted:

you're all forgetting how seriously Mab takes her Accords. what makes you think that she would idly go around breaking promises while also being the overlord of the Winter Fae and quasi-guardian of the Outer Gates. Look how the beings who have betrayed Mab ended up(Slate, the Leanansidhe) then ask yourself why she would break her given word

Except what we're talking about is how Mab could potentially pull some sneaky poo poo without actually breaking her promises specifically because she does take it so seriously.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Exmond posted:

First, owing favors would serve no purpose at this point. By becoming Winter Knight Harry essentially owes Mab infinite favors.

Also the original bargain in Summer Knight had Mab promise that there would be no further trading of the favors.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

keiran_helcyan posted:

First, owing favors would serve no purpose at this point. By becoming Winter Knight Harry essentially owes Mab infinite favors.

Also the original bargain in Summer Knight had Mab promise that there would be no further trading of the favors.

Mab is the original rules lawyer, don't forget!

Harry said he'd become Winter Knight if Mab fixed his broken back, which she did. Meaning he still owes her favors, as any rules lawyer would point out.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Why would Mab want to give anyone else a hold over her knight anyway?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Zola posted:

Harry said he'd become Winter Knight if Mab fixed his broken back, which she did. Meaning he still owes her favors, as any rules lawyer would point out.
i see your point, but imo Harry only accepted the offer that was already there, he didn't make a new one, so there's no room for it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MasterFugu posted:

i see your point, but imo Harry only accepted the offer that was already there, he didn't make a new one, so there's no room for it.

It's Harry, so He Altered The Deal.
Truly, not even Mab is immune to Star Wars references.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zola posted:

Yeah, technically I think Harry owes her a favor. I'm not sure it matters that much that he does.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, technically I think Harry owes her a favor. I'm not sure it matters that much that he does.

It might if/when he weasels out of the mantle :v:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

I'm of the firm opinion that Dresden isn't going to to weasel out of it. He'll lose the mantle at the worst possible moment. Probably right after he finishes badmouthing some big bad nasty.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yeah, the obvious narrative ploy here is for Dresden to get out of the mantle and then be NOT QUITE free of Mab *even then*.

Narratively though I think that would end up being kinda lame, just because anything that gets Dresden out of the mantle would at least by implication get him out of any other deals also.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Assuming Harry ever gets out of the mantle AND still owes a favor, he'll get out of it in the snarkiest, rage-inducing way.

I'm picturing Mab, trapped by Demonreach, and Harry says "Well, I do owe you a favor, so if you asked me really nicely to allow you free and promised to do no harm..."

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
I'm going through Changes again and one thing still confuses me.

What's so special about primroses?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Assuming Harry ever gets out of the mantle AND still owes a favor, he'll get out of it in the snarkiest, rage-inducing way.

I really want to see Harry get free of the mantle, agree to work with/for Mab afterwards (because, after all, they are on the same side, broadly, against the Outsiders), and then hand her a bill.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

docbeard posted:

I really want to see Harry get free of the mantle, agree to work with/for Mab afterwards (because, after all, they are on the same side, broadly, against the Outsiders), and then hand her a bill.

He's already billed God. It won't be funny with Mab unless he sends her to collections. :)

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Being that Harry Dresden is in fact a paraplegic without the Winter Mantle I just don't see him giving it up ever happening. Now if he can get a certain someone ELSE out of HER mantle, with or without her consent, I think he'd try to do it. But Harry the Winter Knight is here to stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

mistaya posted:

Being that Harry Dresden is in fact a paraplegic without the Winter Mantle I just don't see him giving it up ever happening. Now if he can get a certain someone ELSE out of HER mantle, with or without her consent, I think he'd try to do it. But Harry the Winter Knight is here to stay.

Harry is also a Wizard, and Wizards have ridiculous regenerative powers that normal people don't have. His hand and brain have both been fixing themselves from what should have been permanent injuries, and that points to his back doing the same at some point in the future.

I mean, this is a huge plot point. Harry will almost certainly walk under his own power without the mantle at some point in the series, even if its only because he got stabbed with iron. It'll be a real 'Spider-Man lifting a building' moment.

• Locked thread