Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

david puddy posted:

I think I only have one coloured record that actually has pressing defects. I have had several black ones that have defects. All my good coloured vinyl sounds great, some of my black records don't sound great. I think it's probably more on the mastering job or pressing quality that affects it.

Yeah it seems pretty hit & miss. I've got one album on white vinyl that sounds like absolute garbage. Has from the day I bought it new. On the other hand the Yellow River Boys LP (which is piss coloured) sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

MondayHotDog posted:

That's one of my favorite records of all time that I'll probably never get to own, and even I think that's hilarious.

Yeah, gently caress a record people are paying between $200-300 for. Although it's hilarious all the tumblr kids are calling it a $600 record. There are tons of them around, Brand New fans are just awful and ridiculous. I really wish I had picked up a couple copies when they were going for $20.

All the kids paying hundreds of dollars for copies are going to explode when it gets repressed and "devalues" their copy.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Today was textbook right place right time. Got a few items that I have been looking for for a very long time. These are extremely rare in Australia.

2 consecutive weeks of American Top 40 3/3/73 and 3/10/73. The records are all NM (usually played only once on the air date on broadcast equipment) and comes with all run sheets and memos in perfect condition.
Pepper Tanner 5024 generic radio station advertisement jingles with open beds for making localised versions. These are great, there are a few examples floating around on the internet.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Ron Burgundy posted:

Today was textbook right place right time. Got a few items that I have been looking for for a very long time. These are extremely rare in Australia.

2 consecutive weeks of American Top 40 3/3/73 and 3/10/73. The records are all NM (usually played only once on the air date on broadcast equipment) and comes with all run sheets and memos in perfect condition.
Pepper Tanner 5024 generic radio station advertisement jingles with open beds for making localised versions. These are great, there are a few examples floating around on the internet.

That's super cool, what's the track list like? How much are they worth? Popsike seems to have various dates and a big price range. Do certain songs make them worth a lot more? I'm very intrigued :allears:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Yeah the prices are all over the place, I paid $10 each which I was thrilled about. I pretty much snatched them off the shelf. I asked the guy if they had gotten any other radio stuff in but apparently this was it. Rather odd.

The end of year roundups always do extremely well.

Because they are only a week apart the charts on mine are relativity similar.
Here's March 3rd 1973 and March 10th

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 5, 2014

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time

beergod posted:

If I wanted to get into Jamaican pressings of Jamaican music where would be a good place to start? Sounds pretty cool.
Specific pressings can be very rare, but random Jamaican pressings are not uncommon if you're looking for them. A local record store in my city that deals in mostly second hand stuff has crates of them on the floor under one of their displays, I've looked through them but they are mostly ~$40 and I just don't really know the stuff well enough to dive into it.
However, when speaking of Jamaican music I'm always looking for artwork by Wilfred Limonious who has done tons and tons(RIP Prince Jazzbo) of amazing reggae and dancehall art. Usually can snag these ones for around :10bux: and I'm always pretty stoked on the music too.

Some recent pick ups

And picked this one up too, one of my musical highlights of 2013 was seeing Mark Lanegan play in Golden Gate Park.

(Dark pictures for dark music)
The owner of the record store told me I couldn't sell it on ebay or he'd kick my rear end since he was selling it for $60.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I just discovered that Beck's new album will be out this month. How am I only hearing this now?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
What is proper record store etiquette when you're looking to buy a used record? I bought two records from my local shop, which has a strict no return policy, and while they aren't terrible, they have very visible scratches on them and I probably wouldn't have bought them if I saw them.

Can I just like open them out of the plastic and visually inspect? Can I ask them to play it?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
yes and yes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

beergod posted:

What is proper record store etiquette when you're looking to buy a used record? I bought two records from my local shop, which has a strict no return policy, and while they aren't terrible, they have very visible scratches on them and I probably wouldn't have bought them if I saw them.

Can I just like open them out of the plastic and visually inspect? Can I ask them to play it?

Yes, I always do this. And any they will always be glad to spin it for you.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Also, don't be afraid to take a bite out of the sampler vinyl shards on the counter. That's what they're there for and management doesn't mind if you come back for seconds.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I assume that any record store that wont let me open and play records has something to hide.

This doesn't and shouldn't include new records.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Jeez, half the time if I'm browsing at the record store and taking too long the owner will grab the record out of my hands and play it. You can absolutely look at the record surface. How else would you do it?

EDIT: to Ron Burgundy ^^ any good music store should let you listen to something before you buy it, fyi. new or used. Unless I misunderstood you.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 6, 2014

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Don't buy used records. Only buy Record Store Day Re-Issue Collector's Editions On Cotton Candy 280G Vinyl. It's the only way to be sure

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

BigFactory posted:

any good music store should let you listen to something before you buy it, fyi. new or used. Unless I misunderstood you.

Cracking the shrink wrap to listen to a new record in the store before committing to buy it seems like it might be pushing it a bit. Sure there are pressing faults, but I would just return those.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ron Burgundy posted:

Cracking the shrink wrap to listen to a new record in the store before committing to buy it seems like it might be pushing it a bit. Sure there are pressing faults, but I would just return those.

I've bought new records that are so warped they're unplayable. New records kinda blow, quality-wise. I dunno, I really only buy used records, but if I was going to drop 40 bucks or whatever on a new double LP I'd ask if I could open it. Depends on your relationship with the store, though, I guess.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BigFactory posted:

I've bought new records that are so warped they're unplayable. New records kinda blow, quality-wise. I dunno,

This is silly. What?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This is silly. What?

What's silly about it? QA/QC sucks by and large. You don't end up buying brand new records that have (sometimes major) manufacturing defects? I do.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

What's silly about it? QA/QC sucks by and large. You don't end up buying brand new records that have (sometimes major) manufacturing defects? I do.

Has it occurred to you that you just don't find stuff like this with old records because they've been destroyed or taken out of circulation?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Has it occurred to you that you just don't find stuff like this with old records because they've been destroyed or taken out of circulation?

This. That poo poo gets filtered out, for one.

And I have plenty of lovely pressings from old albums, most of the time when it's a lesser pressing from a country other than the artist's native country.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

I bought records in the 80's. I still have them. I think the quality control in general is down and I think retailers/distributors knew how to ship and store their inventory better. There isn't nearly the money in the industry in general anymore. Records are heavier, sure, and pretty colors, but that's just so they can charge more for them. Mastering and pressing isn't done as well as it used to be. Just my opinion.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And I have plenty of lovely pressings from old albums, most of the time when it's a lesser pressing from a country other than the artist's native country.
I think a lot of modern re-issues fall into the same trap where you have smaller houses spending all of their money to buy the rights to re-issue the record, and there's nothing left over to make sure that half the copies aren't warped before they go out the door.

I'm exaggerating obviously, but I still think they don't build em like they used to, and there aren't enough consumers for anyone to have to do anything about it.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 6, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BigFactory posted:

I bought records in the 80's. I still have them. I think the quality control in general is down and I think retailers/distributors knew how to ship and store their inventory better. There isn't nearly the money in the industry in general anymore. Records are heavier, sure, and pretty colors, but that's just so they can charge more for them. Mastering and pressing isn't done as well as it used to be. Just my opinion.

I think a lot of modern re-issues fall into the same trap where you have smaller houses spending all of their money to buy the rights to re-issue the record, and there's nothing left over to make sure that half the copies aren't warped before they go out the door.

I own a lot of records. Never had a single warped record. What I mean is anecdotal evidence isn't much evidence either way.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I own a lot of records. Never had a single warped record. What I mean is anecdotal evidence isn't much evidence either way.

I have a record I bought new that has a pretty big warp, but it still plays fine. I have a couple other new ones that have a small warp. I've never had a record warped so bad it wouldn't play at all though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah I have a fair few records that are warped, even when straight out the packaging. They all play fine though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but given the tiny percentage of people in 2014 buying physical media, let alone vinyl LPs, vs 35 or 40 years ago, the overall lack of funds in the music industry, and the fact that nearly every other manufactured product today is a disposable piece of garbage, does it pass the sniff test to say that records somehow are being made better now than when they were relevant and important?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

What is up with Barnes and Noble offering obviously OOP records like 808s and Heartbreak on their website with a 'usually available within 1-2 weeks' disclaimer in the cart? Anybody here ever tried ordering? Do they just hold your money for 2 weeks and tell you sorry?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BigFactory posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but given the tiny percentage of people in 2014 buying physical media, let alone vinyl LPs, vs 35 or 40 years ago, the overall lack of funds in the music industry, and the fact that nearly every other manufactured product today is a disposable piece of garbage, does it pass the sniff test to say that records somehow are being made better now than when they were relevant and important?

No, but you seemed to be making a matter of fact statement that was actually a debatable opinion based on anecdotal evidence and it stuck in my pedantic craw.

I'm not passionate about this, but I've got a poo poo ton of high quality vinyl releases as well as lovely releases from every era (not literally) and none of it is indicating that vinyl these days is worse.

If anything it went from every day item to a luxury thing. Just look at stuff like Death Waltz. A lot of labels go the extra mile for their niche market.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

resident posted:

What is up with Barnes and Noble offering obviously OOP records like 808s and Heartbreak on their website with a 'usually available within 1-2 weeks' disclaimer in the cart? Anybody here ever tried ordering? Do they just hold your money for 2 weeks and tell you sorry?

There's a repressing that was originally announced for release on February 4th. About a month ago, the release date got pushed back to March 18th, so Barnes and Noble probably hasn't updated that page since the initial announcement.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, but you seemed to be making a matter of fact statement that was actually a debatable opinion based on anecdotal evidence and it stuck in my pedantic craw.

I'm not passionate about this, but I've got a poo poo ton of high quality vinyl releases as well as lovely releases from every era (not literally) and none of it is indicating that vinyl these days is worse.

If anything it went from every day item to a luxury thing. Just look at stuff like Death Waltz. A lot of labels go the extra mile for their niche market.

If physical records were at all relevant, there'd probably be some data out there. I mean, there probably is, but it's inside industry stuff. Just seems to be that in the extremely small batches that records are pressed in, pressing defects that make it to market are a big deal. When there's hundreds of thousands of copies of Dancing on the Ceiling pressed in a single year, one bad batch doesn't make a ripple. When you have Neil Young's new release come out with a run in the thousands (or maybe tens of thousands), and every single one of them has a manufacturing flaw because quality control sucks, it's a bigger issue. Just my take.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BigFactory posted:

If physical records were at all relevant, there'd probably be some data out there. I mean, there probably is, but it's inside industry stuff. Just seems to be that in the extremely small batches that records are pressed in, pressing defects that make it to market are a big deal. When there's hundreds of thousands of copies of Dancing on the Ceiling pressed in a single year, one bad batch doesn't make a ripple. When you have Neil Young's new release come out with a run in the thousands (or maybe tens of thousands), and every single one of them has a manufacturing flaw because quality control sucks, it's a bigger issue. Just my take.

No, I see where you coming from. That said, maybe I'm just supporting the right labels with better quality control and got lucky that way.

It's easy to see how I, buying a lot of vinyl and never having had more than a couple manufacturing errors (which I immediately had replaced by the label), would take issue with saying that vinyl today is of lesser quality overall when that is absolutely not the case for me personally.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

interpunct posted:

There's a repressing that was originally announced for release on February 4th. About a month ago, the release date got pushed back to March 18th, so Barnes and Noble probably hasn't updated that page since the initial announcement.

I actually found some other forum discussing Mac Demarco - Rock N Roll Night Club showing in stock. It sounded like some orders got cancelled immediately while others didn't until a few weeks/month later. Somebody contacted Captured Tracks and found out the reissue will probably happen around March, but I doubt BN was anticipating that and actually just sucks at selling vinyl.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The funny thing is that smaller labels are a lot more willing to rectify any problems or just plain give you a new record than the big labels if you have an issue. So it's obvious that there's a certain level of giving a gently caress involved. And clearly with companies like Death Waltz it's a passion project more than something put out by WB or whoever, which only seem to be pressing LPs again because the 18-30s seem to want them.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I think some tribal knowledge has been lost when it comes to the shipping process. Large labels and distributors in the 80s and earlier knew to either climate control their shipments or just not to let them get too hot. When you were shipping in the 80s and earlier, labels were distributing product in their own trucks. Now, because of the low volume sales, lots of labels are just putting records in the mailbox or giving them to UPS. When My Morning Jacket released the limited edition of Circuital they did it in the middle of summer and a HUGE number of people ended up with warped records. They replaced the records, but it was still something that generally didn't happen in the mass media market. It's been my experience that large established factories still have better quality than smaller factories or operations. (I'm a manager in a large corporate factory, and I've also ran my own small t-shirt company.)

That being said, don't be a douche ask to open new records before you buy them. If you want it, buy it and open it while at the store and get a refund if it's bad.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
I went to a Vendor's Mall the otherday and I found a sealed copy of the Japenese version of Back to Egg by Wings. Best part? 1 Dollar. I don't think it's actually worth any money, but I got super excited when I found it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Got my copy of the Phantom Menace OST. This is the real deal. I could've waited longer for ~~colored vinyl~~ but I wasn't gonna gamble on that again. Sounds great, great packaging.

edit:

alg fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 7, 2014

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

alg posted:

Got my copy of the Phantom Menace OST. This is the real deal. I could've waited longer for ~~colored vinyl~~ but I wasn't gonna gamble on that again. Sounds great, great packaging.

edit:

This seems like an odd choice, but I like the gif!

I found a 4-album Kings of Leon box set for $40 earlier, but I've only heard Aha Shake Heartbreak, I like that album though. Worth the money?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

This seems like an odd choice

quote:

I found a 4-album Kings of Leon box set

:raise:

invisible jerk
Jul 29, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

I found a 4-album Kings of Leon box set for $40 earlier, but I've only heard Aha Shake Heartbreak, I like that album though. Worth the money?

The one with the crucifixy thing on the front? If it's sealed then yeah probably, I saw one of them go for around 80 the other day so if you have somewhere you can sell it easily then i'd go for it.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

glass houses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know anything about Sharp SG - 220X record player? I picked one up with speakers for $40 and it goes pretty well. Looking for any info about it + booklet scans etc