Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Ninja Rope posted:

If all the drives appear as a single giant disk to the OS, then the loss of one drive is going to lose all data on that drive. Whether or not you can recover the rest of the data is up to the filesystem and restore tools you use. You might lose it all. If they show up as independent drives then you only lose what's on one drive.

At least as far as all of the server raid controllers I've used, JBOD and spanning are the same thing. If you want all of the drives passed through to the OS, you have to create one RAID-0 array per drive.

In the case of XPenology, the OS is seeing all the disks independently and using mdadm linear to concatenate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm about to pull the trigger on a NAS setup so I can offload the work of torrenting/etc from my main machine and have wired reliable data streaming to my Roku and such. Is the DS212j still the go-to for something basic that I can run services from? I was planning on throwing 2x3 or 4TB Reds in there.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Cool, thanks, that will easily fit.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, I'm confused why Plex seems to run on some of the DS2XX line and not others. I don't care about transcoding, but it simply looks like it will install on some and not on others. The lowest price point model that is still available new that can run Plex server appears to be the DS213air. I can't tell if this is making some kind of sacrifice vs the DS213j? It's $90 more than the DS213j, which seems kind of silly, but being able to run a Plex server seems kind of important if I want Plex support on a Roku.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ShaneB posted:

OK, I'm confused why Plex seems to run on some of the DS2XX line and not others. I don't care about transcoding, but it simply looks like it will install on some and not on others. The lowest price point model that is still available new that can run Plex server appears to be the DS213air. I can't tell if this is making some kind of sacrifice vs the DS213j? It's $90 more than the DS213j, which seems kind of silly, but being able to run a Plex server seems kind of important if I want Plex support on a Roku.

Synology uses lots of different architectures for their products. So plex may not be available for all of them (like powerpc, arm, x86, etc). If you are going to use plex on a roku, you really need transcoding support.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Synology uses lots of different architectures for their products. So plex may not be available for all of them (like powerpc, arm, x86, etc). If you are going to use plex on a roku, you really need transcoding support.

I honestly play x264 content 99.5% of the time, which Roku supports, yes?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

ShaneB posted:

I honestly play x264 content 99.5% of the time, which Roku supports, yes?

Maybe possibly yes, this movie, but not that movie. Roku's media support is really flipping a coin. Unless you are gonna remux or reencode everything for a roku device, then you really need transcoding support.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Maybe possibly yes, this movie, but not that movie. Roku's media support is really flipping a coin. Unless you are gonna remux or reencode everything for a roku device, then you really need transcoding support.

Farts. Maybe I'll just keep using my old Boxee for digital video files and use the 360 for everything else streamable. The Synology can just act as the file repository and I don't NEED anything Plex fancy-like, even though it's much slicker.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ShaneB posted:

Farts. Maybe I'll just keep using my old Boxee for digital video files and use the 360 for everything else streamable. The Synology can just act as the file repository and I don't NEED anything Plex fancy-like, even though it's much slicker.

I had the same problem, so i just rolled my own xpenology box with an i3

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
I recently was given a rack mount server and RAID (intel xserve/active raid). In my fantasy dream world, it's a 20TB media server attached to a wall-mounted TV in my basement living room. To accomplish this dream, I need a way to get the noise down. My first thoughts were to replace the array of 7 tiny fans dedicated to CPU cooling with enough large fans (obviously this would require cutting holes in the top of the case) to supply adequate airflow. I believe that hope has been dashed since the arrangement of the pins which power the array are foreign to me, so I doubt any off-the-shelf fans would even work without modification.

The other option I am now considering is building (since buying means $$$) a noise-reducing piece of furniture in which to enclose the server/raid. This could be finished wood (similar in appearance to the cabinets I already have in the basement), a metal cabinet (probably on casters) with a tabletop, or anything in between. I am leaning more towards the cabinets since they would blend in very well, as well as being functional for non-nerd things. My idea for the noise-reduction while still retaining good airflow part would include a 'maze' of walls behind and in front of the server/raid, each lined with foam on both sides, leading to an exhaust/inlet hole with a large diameter fan.

My questions: Has anyone else tried to make a rackmount server quiet enough to be used in a living area? What methods (aside from possibly buying a 2000+ dollar off the shelf soundproof rack) did you use?

Is this just a stupid idea? I have a crawlspace where I could mount the hardware, but there is currently no outlet there, which would mean running power/ethernet to it... it would also mean the server wouldn't be directly connected to my TV for ease of direct access.

I would appreciate any comments/advice/criticism on this!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

YarPirate posted:

I recently was given a rack mount server and RAID (intel xserve/active raid). In my fantasy dream world, it's a 20TB media server attached to a wall-mounted TV in my basement living room. To accomplish this dream, I need a way to get the noise down. My first thoughts were to replace the array of 7 tiny fans dedicated to CPU cooling with enough large fans (obviously this would require cutting holes in the top of the case) to supply adequate airflow. I believe that hope has been dashed since the arrangement of the pins which power the array are foreign to me, so I doubt any off-the-shelf fans would even work without modification.

The other option I am now considering is building (since buying means $$$) a noise-reducing piece of furniture in which to enclose the server/raid. This could be finished wood (similar in appearance to the cabinets I already have in the basement), a metal cabinet (probably on casters) with a tabletop, or anything in between. I am leaning more towards the cabinets since they would blend in very well, as well as being functional for non-nerd things. My idea for the noise-reduction while still retaining good airflow part would include a 'maze' of walls behind and in front of the server/raid, each lined with foam on both sides, leading to an exhaust/inlet hole with a large diameter fan.

My questions: Has anyone else tried to make a rackmount server quiet enough to be used in a living area? What methods (aside from possibly buying a 2000+ dollar off the shelf soundproof rack) did you use?

Is this just a stupid idea? I have a crawlspace where I could mount the hardware, but there is currently no outlet there, which would mean running power/ethernet to it... it would also mean the server wouldn't be directly connected to my TV for ease of direct access.

I would appreciate any comments/advice/criticism on this!

What are the specs on this thing. Would it be cheaper just to start over with a new case/motherboard/cpu/ram and keep the hard drives.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Don Lapre posted:

What are the specs on this thing. Would it be cheaper just to start over with a new case/motherboard/cpu/ram and keep the hard drives.

It's a dual CPU quad(eight?) core with 4GB of RAM. I would prefer to keep the xserve, since we use them at work, and I'd like to get a better understanding of the hardware.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's a working Xserve then shift it on eBay. People pay stupid money for them.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

Caged posted:

If it's a working Xserve then shift it on eBay. People pay stupid money for them.

Nah, since it was a gift I don't really feel comfortable doing that. I do realize that the easiest thing to do would be to build my own, but the combination of my stubbornness and the vision I have in my head of how this cabinet would look are making me want to pull it off with the current hardware.

I appreciate the advice so far - sorry I'm a luddite. :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The problem you face is if you swap the fans out for slower ones then the management systems of the server will see that and either not power it up or beep at you constantly. There is really nothing you can do to make a 1U box quiet.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

YarPirate posted:

It's a dual CPU quad(eight?) core with 4GB of RAM. I would prefer to keep the xserve, since we use them at work, and I'd like to get a better understanding of the hardware.

Roughly how old is this thing?

You *will* hear it through the floor. It is unsuitable for anything but a server room, do not go down this road.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sell it, I dont think the guy gave it to you cause it has sentimental value. He gave it to you cause its old.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Don Lapre posted:

Sell it, I dont think the guy gave it to you cause it has sentimental value. He gave it to you cause its old.

This.

Also think of the power consumption of that thing vs a modern consumer box built to your needs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You would be dumb to keep it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

JBOD (spanning) and RAID0 (striping) and RAID1+ (striping+parity) are not the same thing: In JBOD you can lose a drive and only lose whatever's on that drive while the now-smaller array will still work (assuming no files are have their blocks spread accross one of the remaining disk and the disk that failed) - whereas with RAID0, if you lose one drive you lose the entire array.

Ninja Rope posted:

If you want all of the drives passed through to the OS, you have to create one RAID-0 array per drive.
Please be aware that doing this might (will, on zfs - not sure about shr, but I imagine it's the same) cause problems if SATA pass-through is not enabled, as the OS then won't have access to the disk cache and other things that currently escape me, plus issues like disk initilization could cause boot delays/failures.
Additionally, depending on the raid controller: if it stores the raid information in the firmware, you may not (most likely will not) be able to migrate your software raid from one setup to another unless you can get ahold of exactly the same controller, which may have gone out of production (an issue I've run into which caused me to have to restore from tape backup - a fate I do not wish upon anyone).

In practice you should always pass independant disks straight through to software raid without anything in-between - as is possible with the IBM ServeRAID M1015, which can be had on ebay pre-flashed rather cheap.

frunksock posted:

Back to the DS380, is there a ECC Mini-ITX motherboard with 9+ SATA and SAS ports that fits? Or a 8+ port SAS card that's either under 6" long or 2.35" tall? Apparently the E3C224D4I-14S won't fit I'd rather not get one of those Atom boards.
I have mentioned the Asrock C2550D4I before, it has 12 SATA ports (a mix of SATA3Gbps and SATA6Gbps, but single platter drives never exceed ~200MBps and the maximum read or write of even SATA3Gbps is ~370MBps), and it fits 64GB ECC DIMM. Although it's Atom 2.0 aka. Avaton, there's supposedly considerably more horsepower according to some benchmarks, as Avaton is intended for the server market - however, I've yet to see any numbers on cpubenchmark.net, so who knows.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 7, 2014

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

D. Ebdrup posted:

I have mentioned the Asrock C2550D4I before, it has 12 SATA ports (a mix of SATA3Gbps and SATA6Gbps, but single platter drives never exceed ~200MBps and the maximum read or write of even SATA3Gbps is ~370MBps), and it fits 64GB ECC DIMM. Although it's Atom 2.0 aka. Avaton, there's supposedly considerably more horsepower according to some benchmarks, as Avaton is intended for the server market - however, I've yet to see any numbers on cpubenchmark.net, so who knows.

Yeah we were talking about it earlier in the thread. The CPU doesn't fit my needs, otherwise that board would be great. Here's a useful synthetic for comparing it to other processors. It scored 106 on specint rate 2006. See the last slide at https://intel.activeevents.com/sf13/connect/fileDownload/session/C60AC5C04526F97557133399B12DA73D/SF13_SPCS005_101.pdf You can compare with tons of other CPUs at http://spec.org/cpu2006/results/rint2006.html This is a multiprocess benchmark and an 8-core chip, so while it's already seriously losing out to quad Xeons, it will look even worse on single-threaded workloads. I agree it should be fine for a machine dedicated to fileserving and realtime transcoding, though.

I think you meant a single spinning disk wouldn't do more than 200MB/s; most disks have multiple platters. Sorry for the pedantry, but right, I'm not worried about SATA3 vs 6 for spinning disks.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I'd be much more weary of the SATA ports being off a Marvell controller than them being 3Gbps.

darkbob87
Jan 20, 2006
Cross-posting from the part picker thread.

I need help picking a hard drive!

I typically run three drives in my system: An SSD for the OS and apps (Corsair 128 GB), a drive for games (currently a 450 GB Raptor), and a big drive for movies, docs, and the like (4 TB Seagate backed up to an external).

I want to replace the game drive (Raptor) because it's small-ish, and starting to get full. The two drives I'm down to are...

Western Digital Black 2 TB (model WD2003FZEX) -- $140-ish
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624

-or-

Seagate Hybrid Drive 2 TB (model ST2000DX001) -- $120-ish
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178380

Thanks in advance!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You'll see limited benefit from the hybrid, especially if you bounce between multiple games frequently. That said, it's cheaper so there's no real reason not to get it.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

darkbob87 posted:

Western Digital Black 2 TB (model WD2003FZEX) -- $140-ish
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236624

-or-

Seagate Hybrid Drive 2 TB (model ST2000DX001) -- $120-ish
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178380

One thing to keep in mind is that the WD has a 5yr warranty vs. 3yr for the Seagate. You'll have to decide if 2 extra years of warranty coverage is worth the $20 premium.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I'm still on the fence with retiring my Nas4Free that I built about 18 months ago. Is it more cost effective to just grab something synology built or just keep the thing and blow money on 4Tb reds?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am not really looking at building my own NAS, but I as curious, what solution is better for RSS+Torrent solutions. QNAP or Synology?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Internet Explorer posted:

I am not really looking at building my own NAS, but I as curious, what solution is better for RSS+Torrent solutions. QNAP or Synology?

Honestly, if that's all you're going to use it for, Debian + rTorrent + ruTorrent, with Samba shares, imo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Honestly, if that's all you're going to use it for, Debian + rTorrent +ruTorrent

Debian on an HP Microserver or something?

I mean, are there fancy things people are doing with QNAP or Synology devices that I am not aware of that make Debian a better use case for me?

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I run torrents on a $15/year VPS and rsync them to my home machines. It's an extra step and I'm a little bit space constrained. Worth it though because it cuts out the financial and mental burden of the hardware which over time can be substantial. Also, there is the added side benefit of having a big fat pipe for seeding.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 8, 2014

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
So I'm finally upgrading building a new NAS box. I currently have a 6x1TB raidz1 box on an old am2 setup with IDE boot drives. I just ordered eight 3TB drives I intend on setting up in raidz2, probably FreeNAS this time (installed on a usb3 stick)... I know I need new guts, and I'm usually an intel guy, but native 8 port sata on AMD has me interested. Any reason this wouldn't work? Or have any comments for?:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2P58l

Actually, microcenter running a decent combo deal: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2wAj0

Wanderer89 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 9, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FreeNAS currently does not support USB3 by default due to numerous issues - and more importantly, USB3 boot time (ie. loading the data on the flash drive onto a memory filesystem), when they work, aren't appreciably faster than USB2 as the blocksize on the flash drive is 64k.
As for your choice in hardware, use ECC memory at 1GB memory per raw TB + 1GB for the system - so you'll want at least 25GB of memory. Other than that, whether it's AMD or Intel with x86(-64) only matters depending on what preformance you're looking for. As for an idea of preformance expectations, the AMD Athlon Neo2 N36L 1.6GHz with passive cooling can satuate 1GBps over SMB and NFS if you know which parameters to tweak - whereas if you need to satuate 10GbE, you'll wanna look at Intel Xeon E3.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 9, 2014

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is talking about XPEnology kosher? It just seems so.... illegal or something.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

ShaneB posted:

Is talking about XPEnology kosher? It just seems so.... illegal or something.

They released the source under GPL. http://sourceforge.net/projects/dsgpl/ Derivative projects are 100% acceptable as long as they follow the licensing model.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

That's great. I found out about it and installed it on a 4 year old Shuttle box I had lying around, powered by an AMD AM2 4050E running at 2.1ghz, with 2GB RAM. Everything worked perfectly immediately on my test HD, so I ran out and grabbed a 3TB WD Red and threw it in there and got it up and running (another WD Red is coming from Amazon). I'm having a hard time believing how smooth everything is and how easy services are to setup and configure. It's a total dream compared to my homemade Ubuntu-based server I tried to make about 2 years go. Just wanted to post my experiences for anyone considering it.

Edit: is the only way to share a sub-directory by creating a new share and then going into the terminal and mapping said sub-directory to the share? Kinda clumsy...

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 9, 2014

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I'm thinking of picking up a Synology DS412+. Does anyone have knowledge on how well it might run an Owncloud install?

Thanks.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

FreeNAS currently does not support USB3 by default due to numerous issues - and more importantly, USB3 boot time (ie. loading the data on the flash drive onto a memory filesystem), when they work, aren't appreciably faster than USB2 as the blocksize on the flash drive is 64k.
As for your choice in hardware, use ECC memory at 1GB memory per raw TB + 1GB for the system - so you'll want at least 25GB of memory. Other than that, whether it's AMD or Intel with x86(-64) only matters depending on what preformance you're looking for. As for an idea of preformance expectations, the AMD Athlon Neo2 N36L 1.6GHz with passive cooling can satuate 1GBps over SMB and NFS if you know which parameters to tweak - whereas if you need to satuate 10GbE, you'll wanna look at Intel Xeon E3.

Thanks. Yeah ended up finding out more about ECC than I ever wanted to know on the FreeNAS board after posting here, count me one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any issues on old non-ecc ddr2 for 7 years running my raidz1. Would you happen to know any boards that support ecc and 8 sata without having to add additional expansion cards?

Also didn't realize FreeNAS didn't support usb3 yet, odd. As for performance, I'm only ever streaming media to htpcs, possibly two 1080p simultaneously, but not looking for anything more than that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wanderer89 posted:

Thanks. Yeah ended up finding out more about ECC than I ever wanted to know on the FreeNAS board after posting here, count me one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any issues on old non-ecc ddr2 for 7 years running my raidz1. Would you happen to know any boards that support ecc and 8 sata without having to add additional expansion cards?

Also didn't realize FreeNAS didn't support usb3 yet, odd. As for performance, I'm only ever streaming media to htpcs, possibly two 1080p simultaneously, but not looking for anything more than that.
I do know a motherboard with ECC and 8 SATA ports, as that's the one I'll be using in my future build. As for using ECC, I'm sure there are plenty of people who use non-ECC memory for their zfs pools and don't have problems but it's just a matter of time if the problems catch up with them before they retire their pool or not.

Assuming your 1080p rips are ripped from bluray with x264 at crf=~15-20, you get a estimated bitrate of no more than 20Mbps plus a maximum of ~700kbps flac audio, you're looking at no more than 5MBps for two streams.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 9, 2014

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I, admittedly, went full "still college student" on my Nas4Free box. It running an i3 with an asrock mobo and 8gb ddr3. I plan to retire it soon-ish.

I had freenas at first and it did some weird things occasionally with my WD TV Live content that Nas4Free (this far) hasn't shown signs of.

There were occasions when watching shows that will play with no error on every other device would refuse to play without either crashing to the home screen or hard locking the unit with freenas.

Tl;Dr I should just download more RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

ghana rheya posted:

I, admittedly, went full "still college student" on my Nas4Free box. It running an i3 with an asrock mobo and 8gb ddr3. I plan to retire it soon-ish.

I had freenas at first and it did some weird things occasionally with my WD TV Live content that Nas4Free (this far) hasn't shown signs of.

There were occasions when watching shows that will play with no error on every other device would refuse to play without either crashing to the home screen or hard locking the unit with freenas.

Tl;Dr I should just download more RAM.

How were you serving those files? I'm waiting for parts to build a freenas box that I was planning on using dlna with my WDTV Live Streaming thing.