Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Louisgod posted:

I predict Mario Kart 8 not selling NEARLY as well as MKWii to a point where it doesn't even capture 10% of its sales, which comes to something like 4 million or so. It's not going to completely bomb but I think it'll hit way, way under what Nintendo hopes it does.

Yeah, the same thing happened with New Super Mario Bros. U. I think the people who were drawn in with the Wii enjoyed NSMB Wii and MK Wii as their first games in the series, but don't see any reason to upgrade.

E:

Spiffo posted:

On the other hand, if the game suffers from "same poo poo you just played but with a new number on it" then it's not going to sell Wii-U's.

See also: New Super Mario Bros U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'd be surprised if MK8 even sold more then 3 million, there aren't THAT many Wii U owners and NSMBU is at 3.8m (shipped?) and that's about as high of an attach rate as you can possibly get. MK8 is not going to sell a million consoles by itself.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If Mario Kart 8 has the same attach rate as Mario Kart Wii than it should hit around 2m units, but I'm having trouble seeing that especially if it keeps slipping. Part of what helped drive NSMB WiiU sales was that it was a launch game and people had actual hope for the system. Hope's dried up and I'm not sure Kart 8 can help there even if it's the best in the series. I see 1 to 1.2 M as it's sales high end and it won't be near as evergreen as earlier Mario Kart's.

Not to mention they'll probably have to have a Mario Kart Holiday bundle to help push some WiiU sales (it won't help) which means less money made of the software.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The Kins posted:

I've played through a few "traditional" games on iOS (Sonic 1 & 2, Giana Sisters etc.)... Sonic is fine because it's a D-Pad and a single button. Things get more awkward when you have a Mario-style setup where there's more than one button and a benefit for holding one of those buttons down, due to the lack of physical feedback. Then there's games that build controls with the touchscreen in mind, like Jeff Minter's Minotron, which is a dual-stick shooter where the first thumb that touches the screen is your movement stick and the second thumb your firing stick.

It's not an unsolvable problem, but it's one that has to be designed around, for the most part. Just slapping touch controls onto non-RPG games without any thought behind the integration can be disastrous.

Apple added a physical controller API to iOS 7, but the first batch of controllers have been disappointing. If they get it straightened out so that physical controllers are readily available in the accessory aisle at Walmart, it will be a boon for certain types of games. I wonder what impact there might be on Nintendo handhelds.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

All the MFI Apple controllers are ridiculously expensive and no one will buy them.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Toady posted:

Apple added a physical controller API to iOS 7, but the first batch of controllers have been disappointing. If they get it straightened out so that physical controllers are readily available in the accessory aisle at Walmart, it will be a boon for certain types of games. I wonder what impact there might be on Nintendo handhelds.

I think physical controller add ons for smart phones is a niche market really. I don't see the average consumer wanting to add extra bulk to their phone to play games or risk the additional battery drain such a device would add. The most logical path for smart phone games to gain even more market share is to work with the touch screen interface and build around that than pray people buy an add on (see attach rates of stuff like light guns for consoles when they were sold separately.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think physical controller add ons for smart phones is a niche market really. I don't see the average consumer wanting to add extra bulk to their phone to play games or risk the additional battery drain such a device would add. The most logical path for smart phone games to gain even more market share is to work with the touch screen interface and build around that than pray people buy an add on (see attach rates of stuff like light guns for consoles when they were sold separately.

In my opinion, we're already out of the scope of average consumers when it comes to twitch platformers and shooters. If Apple address the build quality and price of these first-generation controllers, I see no reason why future generations couldn't reach the level of success of the other crazy stuff in the accessory aisle like guitar inputs, physical keyboards, and boom boxes.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Polo-Rican posted:

...and killing the two-character mechanic of double dash without adding any new mechanics means the gameplay is dull as dirt.

They did add Bikes, just saying...

melon cat posted:

And that's exactly how I feel about it. And let's be honest- $360 for a console that has a limited library of good games and a shaky future VS. a PS3 bundle that's $100 cheaper and has a massive library of quality games? It's not even up for debate. I don't even know how Nintendo figured that ~$360 would be a competitive price point given what they're competing against. And I haven't even mentioned the Xbox360 bundles that are out there.

Not to ignore your point, but to be fair the system comes with two pack in games that MSRP at $90 USD while that PS3 bundle comes with no games. Price wise they are comparative.

You can get just the system w/ Nintendo Land for $225 Canadian from the Nintendo Store. It's a great deal if you have no interest in NSMBU and SLU. I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't just sell at that price point with no games, because nobody seems to perceive the concept that the price of the bundle comes with two games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Toady posted:

In my opinion, we're already out of the scope of average consumers when it comes to twitch platformers and shooters. If Apple address the build quality and price of these first-generation controllers, I see no reason why future generations couldn't reach the level of success of the other crazy stuff in the accessory aisle like guitar inputs, physical keyboards, and boom boxes.
I see a reason: because accessories are expensive, which flies in the face of why mobile gaming is successful: viral, cheap time-waster apps.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I see a reason: because accessories are expensive, which flies in the face of why mobile gaming is successful: viral, cheap time-waster apps.

We're not talking about viral, cheap time-waster apps. The kind of people who are big enough fans of Sonic 2 to want physical controls are probably more willing to buy a gaming peripheral than the average Angry Birds player. Whether or not that would have an effect on 3DS sales, I don't know. Maybe none.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Toady posted:

We're not talking about viral, cheap time-waster apps. The kind of people who are big enough fans of Sonic 2 to want physical controls are probably more willing to buy a gaming peripheral than the average Angry Birds player. Whether or not that would have an effect on 3DS sales, I don't know. Maybe none.

Even than you're banking on all of those hard core consumers actually buying said add on, and as we've seen from sales of light guns/move controllers/kinect that attach rate is never at 100%. Chasing that market just doesn't seem that wise when you'd be better of making a game that appeals to hardcore by actually working to the strengths of the device and interface.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Even than you're banking on all of those hard core consumers actually buying said add on, and as we've seen from sales of light guns/move controllers/kinect that attach rate is never at 100%. Chasing that market just doesn't seem that wise when you'd be better of making a game that appeals to hardcore by actually working to the strengths of the device and interface.

I also find something incredibly dumb about paying $50 for a controller to play my 99 cent app, and I'll be lucky if a half dozen games support it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Maybe Nintendo should make their next handheld iPhone compatible so you can use it either as a controller or to play its own games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Toady posted:

The kind of people who are big enough fans of Sonic 2 to want physical controls are probably more willing to buy a gaming peripheral than the average Angry Birds player.

If we're just making up predictions I predict that this kind of people will forego phone peripherals altogether and just emulate from home. I just don't see anyone buying anything that adds bulk to their phone, with the exception of cases

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Toady posted:

Honest to god I have a MOGA controller for my Nexus 4 and it's a piece of garbage. Who knows, things might pick up. But as of right now, Nintendo can sell 40-million 3DS, but I can guarantee you that they aren't selling 40-million IOS and Android gamepads.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So it looks like SEGA still has to do that 3rd Nintendo exclusive Sonic game so they announced an outsourced Wii U/3DS game based on the terrible looking new cartoon series.

http://video.lefigaro.fr/figaro/video/la-bande-annonce-de-sonic-boom/3161522154001/

I guess they just contracted that one out so Sonic Team can work on the next-gen game that was rumored?

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Knuckles terrifies me there, pumped full of steroids and stuff. Sonic just looks like the animators gave up on him, like one of those old bad cg cartoons.

Game could be interesting though, the mechanics look solid enough but there's usually a lot of flair in a Sonic trailer.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Batman Begins music and dubstep

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The new SteelSeries Stratus is supposed to be a pretty competent mobile controller.

With the amount of devices out there, I could certainly see smartphone/tablet controllers to be less of a niche proposition than a home console like the Wii U. I don't think I personally would ever buy one, though.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

nippon nifties posted:

If we're just making up predictions I predict that this kind of people will forego phone peripherals altogether and just emulate from home. I just don't see anyone buying anything that adds bulk to their phone, with the exception of cases

I didn't make any predictions. People in this thread are way too certain about things.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Honest to god I have a MOGA controller for my Nexus 4 and it's a piece of garbage. Who knows, things might pick up. But as of right now, Nintendo can sell 40-million 3DS, but I can guarantee you that they aren't selling 40-million IOS and Android gamepads.

Maybe I'm not communicating well, because I wasn't suggesting that sales of gamepad accessories would match the 3DS. People were bitching about the controls in iOS platformers, and I don't see why gamepads couldn't achieve a reasonable level of success like other iOS accessories and lessen the advantage of physical controls that the 3DS has.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Crowbear posted:

So it looks like SEGA still has to do that 3rd Nintendo exclusive Sonic game so they announced an outsourced Wii U/3DS game based on the terrible looking new cartoon series.

http://video.lefigaro.fr/figaro/video/la-bande-annonce-de-sonic-boom/3161522154001/

I guess they just contracted that one out so Sonic Team can work on the next-gen game that was rumored?

Knuckles looks like a weirdo with the roided out body.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Knuckles looks like a weirdo with the roided out body.

He's a fighting freak, Knuckles.

Let it get to him?, He's just gonna creep
Down in Pumpkin Hill, he gots to find his lost piece
He knows that it's there, he can sense it in his feet
The great emerald's power allows him to feel
He can't see a thing, but it's around somewhere
He's gonna hold his head 'cause he has no fear
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory
A ghost tried to approach him and he got leery

there I just figured out a way to improve that trailer

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spiffo posted:

He's a fighting freak, Knuckles.

Let it get to him?, He's just gonna creep
Down in Pumpkin Hill, he gots to find his lost piece
He knows that it's there, he can sense it in his feet
The great emerald's power allows him to feel
He can't see a thing, but it's around somewhere
He's gonna hold his head 'cause he has no fear
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory
A ghost tried to approach him and he got leery

there I just figured out a way to improve that trailer

I'd say this is the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull of Sonic games, but that would probably require Amy getting replaced with Sally.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Crowbear posted:

I figured they'd do something like this. Sega really hitched their cart to the wrong horse.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Crowbear posted:

But really this just looks depressing.

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001
Super Bunnyhop seems optimistic about Nintendo's future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ho5Y-Yw8g

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Crowbear posted:

It might be good...

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Four of each, just to make damned sure. You'll need four Gamecube Controllers, Wii Remotes, Motion Pluses, Nunchucks, Classic Controller Pros, Pro Controllers, a GamePad, a Balance Board, and a ROB to enjoy local multiplayer on your Nintendo console.

I have an embarrassing number of Wii peripherals. 4 Wiimotes, 2 Motion+ adapters, 2 Mario Kart wheels, Link's Crossbow, another gun for House of the Dead, 2 nunchucks, 2 console classic controllers...I'm probably forgetting stuff. All of it is shoved in a box that remains largely untouched unless my friend's kid asks me to bring him something to play.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
It would be so funny if that sonic game outsold everything and just plain steamrolled over the charts for 3 weeks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I hope they fix for MK8, in MK Wii they increased the number of racers but not how items worked, so anyone 6th and below could get stuff like stars, lightning bolts, blue shells and such, that's a lot where the blue shell complaint came from because getting hit with 3 or 4 is not uncommon in MK Wii, my record was 5 in lap 1 one time.

Its funny when its a friend, but when you're doing those 150cc's for karts and characters, getting nailed with a shell on the 3rd lap within inches of the finish line just makes you wanna hurl the Wiimote through the tv.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the main issue wasn't even so much that the rubberbanding items existed; it was just that there were so many of them and they all impacted you so severely. You could get chain-shelled and spend a lot of time literally unable to start driving again.

MK7 struck a better balance and I hope MK8 continues in that vein.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

That loving Sned posted:

It's going to sell well no matter what, so why even try to make it good? Unfortunately, Mario Kart Wii was one of the best selling Nintendo games ever, by virtue of being on one of their best selling consoles, so they're going to assume that they did everything right with that game.

If Mario Kart 8 "does everything right" with its gameplay, will this increase its ability to sell the Wii U more than it would have otherwise? It didn't work for 3DW. I don't see what criticism of already popular games has to do with this thread topic, the failure of the Wii U.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
It didn't review particularly well for a mainline Nintendo game so maybe they won't assume sales = positive reception anymore than Blizzard assumes everyone just loved Diablo 3 to pieces.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kuuenbu posted:

Super Bunnyhop seems optimistic about Nintendo's future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ho5Y-Yw8g

Did this rear end in a top hat seriously try to claim that the reason third parties abandonded Nintendo was because third parties didn't like meeting the high standards set by games like Shaq Fu, Superman 64, and the entire LJN games lineup (all of which gained the official Nintendo Seal of Quality)?

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Did this rear end in a top hat seriously try to claim that the reason third parties abandonded Nintendo was because third parties didn't like meeting the high standards set by games like Shaq Fu, Superman 64, and the entire LJN games lineup (all of which gained the official Nintendo Seal of Quality)?

Nintendo demands the best from its 3rd party devs and a lot of them are simply not willing to commit the time and resources it takes to meet or exceed the standard set by this Chavo del Ocho-branded collection of minigames.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Nintendo should bring back Pokemon Mini.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Nintendo should bring back Pokemon Mini.

Yeah, that was really cool. It's a shame only three games came out here, with most of them staying in Japan.

It had motion controls too, used for the game where you have a box an opponent and stop every time it rumbled, but the Pinball one was great if terribly difficult.

Kuuenbu
Nov 19, 2001

Fulchrum posted:

IIRC the Seal of Quality is less "is the game any good?" and more "does the game start when you press the power button?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kuuenbu posted:

IIRC the Seal of Quality is less "is the game any good?" and more "does the game start when you press the power button?"

I don't even think it was that. I think it was we paid our licensing fees to Nintendo so its an official cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I don't even think it was that. I think it was we paid our licensing fees to Nintendo so its an official cart.

It was partially that, but it was also mainly to keep games in line with Nintendo's idea of what is offensive or shouldn't be shown to kids - it was made in response to those awful bible games, and one of its requirements is that the games have no overt religious symbolism.

• Locked thread