Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Peechka posted:

Look, bottom line is that if you donate $25-$35 you get the game and a beta invite. Not a bad deal there folks. And if this poo poo does not fund, you lose nothing. And if it does fund and lets say it vaporizes in the next year, you are out $25. Who gives a poo poo thats like 2 lunches.

I think its a good investment if you want to see an old-school focused mmo.

I personally donated $45. It shows my support and if I end up losing this amount, well, I dont really care. Ive bought plenty of games for more than this that were finished that were utter pieces of poo poo, so.....

This actually raises a question I've had for a while. I haven't used kickstarter before... if someone up and takes all the money with nothing to show for it, what happens? Money gone? Since they are donations, what course of actions can someone take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

G Prestige posted:

This actually raises a question I've had for a while. I haven't used kickstarter before... if someone up and takes all the money with nothing to show for it, what happens? Money gone? Since they are donations, what course of actions can someone take?

Pretty much their name is ruined in the industry. From the backers POV, tough poo poo.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Kickstarter does hold these people to some accountability, but in the grand scheme of things, yes, they can take your money and laugh all the way to the bank and produce vaporware.

-Kickstarter does not offer refunds. A Project Creator is not required to grant a Backer’s request for a refund unless the Project Creator is unable or unwilling to fulfill the reward.
-Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.

But how do they police this?

Majestic42
Apr 30, 2002
"The HELL you say?!"
I was not aware that this was going on until last night. I stumbled on it when I was staring at the icons for SWTOR, Darkfall UW and WoW on my desktop, unable to find the will to click any of them. I thought to myself "could I have missed a modern MMO that was challenging, and open, with rare loot that was truly rare, you know, like EQ?". So I Googled for some answers, and happened upon the Pantheon kickstarter page.

As someone who spent 8 years in EQ and another year and a half in Vanguard (including raiding in the port warehouse when it was brand new), I am so very happy to see Brad putting a team together to bring some more of this gaming to light. So Brad had some issues, who doesn't? I tend to side with the "MS destroyed things" argument, as I was following it at the time as an early beta tester for VG, and the timelines line up to support that, but I digress - regardless of what happened, it doesn't erase the success that is EQ, or the sadly-missed-by-most-gamers excellent experience that Vanguard provides for those that stay the course.

I'm tired of the themepark regurgatation that is modern MMOs. I'll drop $250 in hopes that the game gets made. Guys, if you want indie developed games, this is how it gets done. If you are a true PC gamer, you'll look past your "wittle feelings" and throw some cash (more than Brad is involved, check out the other bios, some serious talent is on tap)there way. Or don't, and lose any right you have to bitch about future "big box" games sucking...

p.s. Crusaders can dual weild shields?! How freakin cool is that :)

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Majestic42 posted:

I was not aware that this was going on until last night. I stumbled on it when I was staring at the icons for SWTOR, Darkfall UW and WoW on my desktop, unable to find the will to click any of them. I thought to myself "could I have missed a modern MMO that was challenging, and open, with rare loot that was truly rare, you know, like EQ?". So I Googled for some answers, and happened upon the Pantheon kickstarter page.

As someone who spent 8 years in EQ and another year and a half in Vanguard (including raiding in the port warehouse when it was brand new), I am so very happy to see Brad putting a team together to bring some more of this gaming to light. So Brad had some issues, who doesn't? I tend to side with the "MS destroyed things" argument, as I was following it at the time as an early beta tester for VG, and the timelines line up to support that, but I digress - regardless of what happened, it doesn't erase the success that is EQ, or the sadly-missed-by-most-gamers excellent experience that Vanguard provides for those that stay the course.

I'm tired of the themepark regurgatation that is modern MMOs. I'll drop $250 in hopes that the game gets made. Guys, if you want indie developed games, this is how it gets done. If you are a true PC gamer, you'll look past your "wittle feelings" and throw some cash (more than Brad is involved, check out the other bios, some serious talent is on tap)there way. Or don't, and lose any right you have to bitch about future "big box" games sucking...

p.s. Crusaders can dual weild shields?! How freakin cool is that :)

My "Wittle Feelings" are telling me to close my wallet until i see some video's of this groundbreaking game.
Sorry, Half rear end pics just arent doing it for me.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

iminers posted:

My "Wittle Feelings" are telling me to close my wallet until i see some video's of this groundbreaking game.
Sorry, Half rear end pics just arent doing it for me.

To each their own, but what is a kickstarter supposed to be there for then? Its to see an "idea" come to fruition. And best of all its an idea that the people want, not what some corporate crony wants (which is probably the next wow clone, or soon to be the EQnext clone).

Without faith, 3/4 of the poo poo on kickstarter would never be funded. And we would never reap the rewards.

If everyone which came to Kickstarter needed a woroking alpha of a game to even begin, none of this would even be possible. While Lord British might have a few million to invest into his new game, 99% other devs with great ideas do not.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 6, 2014

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?

Majestic42 posted:

I was not aware that this was going on until last night. I stumbled on it when I was staring at the icons for SWTOR, Darkfall UW and WoW on my desktop, unable to find the will to click any of them.

Speaking of Darkfall, there doesn't seem to be a thread for it anymore... but it's on sale for $10 on Steam right now. How is UW compared to way back when? I played long ago but for some reason when they changed to the new version my account got deleted or something and they won't reactivate it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I too am a true pc gamer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

G Prestige posted:

Speaking of Darkfall, there doesn't seem to be a thread for it anymore... but it's on sale for $10 on Steam right now. How is UW compared to way back when? I played long ago but for some reason when they changed to the new version my account got deleted or something and they won't reactivate it.

It, and all 3D sandbox MMOs that try to be UO, are unfortunately pretty bad.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Third World Reggin posted:

I too am a true pc gamer.

Blindly throwing money at a kickstarter mmo is a very smart.
It prove's your a serious gamer and won't take no for an answer.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

iminers posted:

Blindly throwing money at a kickstarter mmo is a very smart.
It prove's your a serious gamer and won't take no for an answer.

Oh, god, get off it. How many games have you bough blindly that you threw away your money at. How many lovely mmos have you bought in the past 10 yrs that you threw money at blindly. They even had alphas and betas, and yet still turned out to be wastes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Peechka posted:

Oh, god, get off it. How many games have you bough blindly that you threw away your money at. How many lovely mmos have you bought in the past 10 yrs that you threw money at blindly. They even had alphas and betas, and yet still turned out to be wastes.

The answer may surprise you.

I don't throw money blindly at things.

I am sorry you are bad with money.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 6, 2014

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Peechka posted:

I'm too serious a gamer to throw money away, sir.

All im hoping for is some sort of video from Brad and Co. showing what this amazing new eq clone game is going to play like and look like.
Maybe after he get's the 800k he'll do the smart thing and start making a video.

I don't know.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

The answer my surprise you.

I don't throw money blindly at things.

I am sorry you are bad with money.

Yea this.

I don't throw money at a kickstarter beacuse my hero " Brad "EVERQUEST MAKER LORD AND KING OF THE EVERQUEST WORLD" McQuaid" is starting a new mmo.
I'm more the type to sit back and wait and see.
Maybe Brad can do a crossover with Star citizen where if you contribute to both his AND Roberts game, you get a spaceship where you can shoot dragons with laser beams.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Swingline posted:

If you didn't follow Vanguard in the years leading up to its release and then buy it, I'll save you a lot of time, money and effort: close your browser window and forget you ever heard of Pantheon. The bullshit Brad is spouting about how he's making the true :siren: spiritual successor :siren: to EQ and the solution to terrible WoW-esque MMOs is exactly what he was saying in 2005 as he was literally lighting Microsoft/SOE's money on fire while collecting pre-orders from desperate aging nerds blinded by the nostalgia of playing EQ back in the day. Open beta will come and you'll realize the game is 90% incomplete and the 10% that is there is unplayable due to bugs and performance issues. But you won't cancel your pre-order because its Brad McQuade! He made Everquest, you know! He just doesn't want to spoil the launch so he's saving the fix everything patch for launch day!

Or you can contribute to kickstarter/pre-order/cling to the empty concept art/screenshots they will drivel out to you over the next few years while you wait for launch and continue discussing in Pantheon threads/forums how fun EQ was back in the day and golly this is going to be just like it!

On the 1% chance he actually pulls through and makes a playable game this time (what makes you think he can do this with $800k if he couldn't do it with tens of millions of dollars and many years with Vanguard) you can buy it at launch.

This really should be the first line in the OP.

Not that it really matters since it looks like funding will fail for this mmo help us get a studio going so we can flesh out the ideas and pitch it to investors and publishers run a 2nd kickstarter for the game this time.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Peechka posted:

If everyone which came to Kickstarter needed a woroking alpha

What about a competent team headed up by somebody who's last attempt at running an MMO studio didn't crash, burn and get salvaged by Sony?

Parafin
Jul 11, 2013

Oh yes, Georgie, they float. They all float down here.

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO! YAY! :3

<3 now gimme a herring <3
Need 800k for my Kickstarter campaign to fund my true Kickstarter campaign with awesome stretch goals like "$2.5m: We Hire Actual Programmers" and "3.0m: Functional Patcher." Also I've partnered up with Natalie Imbruglia because I heard you love other lovely things from the late 1990s.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Wow, you guys are some bitter fucks. Enjoy your wildstars and TESO's. I had more fun in Vanguard than I did trying any of the wow clones in the past 8 yrs.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 6, 2014

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Ugh you guys are so depressing I just want a fun online game to adventure around in with pals while being a dude who heals a dude who tanks things for a dude who hits things and maybe have another dude who casts weird spells on things

Is it too much to ask for?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

amusinginquiry posted:

Ugh you guys are so depressing I just want a fun online game to adventure around in with pals while being a dude who heals a dude who tanks things for a dude who hits things and maybe have another dude who casts weird spells on things

Is it too much to ask for?

That is kinda what I want with the neat dungeon design and classes similar to vanguard, but working.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Peechka posted:

Wow, you guys are some bitter fucks. Enjoy your wildstars and TESO's. I had more fun in Vanguard than I did trying any of the wow clones in the past 8 yrs.

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE for a new MMO that isn't in in the same vein as WoW, but it won't be made with a kickstarter started by Brad. Sorry to burst your bubble.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Peechka posted:

i am tim! posted:

What about a competent team headed up by somebody who's last attempt at running an MMO studio didn't crash, burn and get salvaged by Sony?

Pretty much what tim said. I would love for MMOs to take a different direction from WoW but this kickstarter, especially by that huge gently caress up Brad, won't be the one to do it. Just because he has a good idea doesn't mean he can execute it properly, on time or on budget. See Vanguard.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Peechka posted:

Isn't Vanguard shutting down?
Why is it shutting down again?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Can someone just recreate Everquest with awesome graphics and Vanguard's crafting system? TYIA

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I just pledged. I have motherfucking faith.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

iminers posted:

Isn't Vanguard shutting down?
Why is it shutting down again?

No one plays it and it doesn't make enough money to waste resources on it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That, and as smedly said, the code is such a train wreck they can't integrate it with their new changes to their security.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

i am tim! posted:

Brad has been 1 for 2 in MMORPGs if you're judging him like that. And how do you judge success in the MMORPG genre? Why are you only paying attention to his last attempt? Besides that, Vanguard was an awesome game, it had a lot of issues with both the developers (they picked a crappy engine and weren't so good at using it) and the publisher who wanted to shove it out the door and not give any post-release support. Fundamentally, it wasn't a bad game by any means. If it was a big stinky turd that was a wow clone with no originality or effort put into it I could see your point.

hayden. posted:

Can someone just recreate Everquest with awesome graphics and Vanguard's crafting system? TYIA

They have the dude that made Old Sebilis, the best dungeon ever, on the team, as well as Silius who made Vanguard's crafting system. Unless you mean, literally, make EQ with new graphics and VG's crafting system, which we all know is impossible since SOE owns the IP. But I'd say this as close we'll ever get.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
But, but, brad made Vanguard :rolleyes:

He also shipped EQ with 23 people on an $8 million dollar budget that millions of unique people played over its life and spawned the popularity of entire genre. But yeah, gently caress that guy because of Vanguard.

gently caress SoE too for loving up mmorpgs since 2004. gently caress Blizzard for D3, gently caress Bioware for SWTOR, gently caress Mark Jacobs for Warhammer, gently caress Rich Garriot for Tabula Rasa... And all the other ones I missed.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Peechka posted:

Wow, you guys are some bitter fucks.
Yep, but I still pledged money.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Node posted:

Brad has been 1 for 2 in MMORPGs if you're judging him like that.

I've always liked the same odds as flipping a coin.

But he has worked on some other things, that are notably bad.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

I've always liked the same odds as flipping a coin.

But he has worked on some other things, that are notably bad.

I don't actually know what else he has done. Someone mentioned some facebook deal and I'm not surprised because facebook games are retarded.

Personally, I only care about what MMORPGs he has been involved in when he is making a new MMORPG.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Node posted:

Brad has been 1 for 2 in MMORPGs if you're judging him like that. And how do you judge success in the MMORPG genre? Why are you only paying attention to his last attempt? Besides that, Vanguard was an awesome game, it had a lot of issues with both the developers (they picked a crappy engine and weren't so good at using it) and the publisher who wanted to shove it out the door and not give any post-release support. Fundamentally, it wasn't a bad game by any means. If it was a big stinky turd that was a wow clone with no originality or effort put into it I could see your point.

Did you play Vanguard at launch? And I'm sure this is just like Tim Schafer and the big bad publishers.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Node posted:

50% isn't exactly the most inspiring success rate, especially when it is out of two. That means... Nothing at all, at least to me. I hesitate to use the word "fluke" because I liked EQ and what bit I played of Vanguard but I could see if other people came to that end. As well, I remember Vanguard's launch being an unmitigated failure, to the point that Brad got the boot and Sony took over a few months in sooooo... REALLY when you get down to it, I think you may he giving him more credit for it than he deserves.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Node posted:

I don't actually know what else he has done. Someone mentioned some facebook deal and I'm not surprised because facebook games are retarded.

Personally, I only care about what MMORPGs he has been involved in when he is making a new MMORPG.

I posted info earlier in this thread. Basically he went back to redo vanguard and EQ for their free to play models.

You know, the ones that were bad and split the player base.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is my older post.

Old game vet syndrome might be because he hasn't done much of anything new.

2007 was vanguard, which was bad to most developers involved.
2010 was a co-founding of a start up for casual and social games that failed to find funding and ended in 2012.
2012 was joining SOE to relaunch Vanguard with a bad F2P model.
2013 was him switching to EQ1 and then leaving half a year later for this.

I don't know where the ignorance comes from, since he hasn't done much since those old games.

Speaking of F2P models

I'm expecting to see another EQ2 or Vanguard style F2P model that splits the player base and is aggressive towards the players asking them to upgrade now. Going to put money on there being a button that you can't remove saying GOLD MEMBERSHIP.

EDIT: Going to throw this out here as well, I want to see another game by Brad. I enjoyed vanguard despite its bugs. I'm not going to back Pantheon and I doubt it will work.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Free to play EQ & EQ2 were pretty loving terrible. Like the worse possible way you can handle F2P with a lot of nickle-and-diming.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Peechka posted:

But, but, brad made Vanguard :rolleyes:

He also shipped EQ with 23 people on an $8 million dollar budget that millions of unique people played over its life and spawned the popularity of entire genre. But yeah, gently caress that guy because of Vanguard.

gently caress SoE too for loving up mmorpgs since 2004. gently caress Blizzard for D3, gently caress Bioware for SWTOR, gently caress Mark Jacobs for Warhammer, gently caress Rich Garriot for Tabula Rasa... And all the other ones I missed.

Alot of fucks in that post.
Calm down fellow gamer, Goto Pantheons kickstarter page and see if there's any updates... Like if it looks like theyre gonna hit the 800k mark. :dance:

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
That was just a lot of fucks given, for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Peechka posted:

That was just a lot of fucks given, for real.

Well, some people genuinely want better games and want them to be funded.
Others simply throw money at every scammer that says that will make your wildest dreams true, then defend the scammer.

• Locked thread