Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but a co-worker told me about 7x7 today at lunch and uh...It's horribly addictive.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.kiip.skeemo

Worth a download, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Pocket Knight stuff, so skip if you don't care.

1. What techs in Magic House should I prioritize?
2. I just hit the wall in elite dungeons; Dessert elite boss owned my face even with a powerful friend helping me. I have Rhee, Master Wu, Grendia, and Agrila. Who should I be looking to replace first?
3. Fortifying gear question: do you try to max out one piece at a time or do you spread the love?
4. Going back to max out tower levels, I must be doing it wrong 'cause the level just keeps going unless I quit out of it. What am I doing wrong?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Pocket Knight stuff, so skip if you don't care.

1. What techs in Magic House should I prioritize?
2. I just hit the wall in elite dungeons; Dessert elite boss owned my face even with a powerful friend helping me. I have Rhee, Master Wu, Grendia, and Agrila. Who should I be looking to replace first?
3. Fortifying gear question: do you try to max out one piece at a time or do you spread the love?
4. Going back to max out tower levels, I must be doing it wrong 'cause the level just keeps going unless I quit out of it. What am I doing wrong?
1) I prefer attack and hp 1. But the last event gave me enough honor to max everything
2) that is a pretty strong team. You might just need more levels. But replace grendia with nexara when you can.
3) with pearls I split the love. First get everything to level 20 then 40. With the blacksmith a focus on a single weapon for my strongest character.
4) beating level 5 is the highest a tower floor goes. After that you can grind for stuff, but you no longer get a Star chest for getting to the end.

numbs
Jul 20, 2013

by XyloJW
Zynga Poker, anyone? It's a shame that Android users can't invite their friends to games and iOS users can.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
Is there a Match-3 type or even just a simple puzzler I can play for a few minutes while having a smoke break at work or having a smoke break while making GBS threads that doesn't have any kind of eventual bullshit like, say, Candy Crush? I recently tried out Bag It and it's more fun than I expected and 7x7 as mentioned above seems promising, but I'd really like something like 1000000 or Puzzle Quest where I feel like I'm building towards something and not just mindlessly playing Bejeweled. PAD is horribly draining on my battery and seems to involve a lot more metagaming than I'd like. Puzzle Quest would actually be perfect if it didn't take so long to actually get into a game.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

gaxsezu posted:

Is there a Match-3 type or even just a simple puzzler I can play for a few minutes while having a smoke break at work or having a smoke break while making GBS threads that doesn't have any kind of eventual bullshit like, say, Candy Crush? I recently tried out Bag It and it's more fun than I expected and 7x7 as mentioned above seems promising, but I'd really like something like 1000000 or Puzzle Quest where I feel like I'm building towards something and not just mindlessly playing Bejeweled. PAD is horribly draining on my battery and seems to involve a lot more metagaming than I'd like. Puzzle Quest would actually be perfect if it didn't take so long to actually get into a game.

Why not play 1000000 since you mention that?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

gaxsezu posted:

The original puzzle quest was an incredibly fun game. Lots of fun combination of skill and lots of different puzzles but it wasn't too overbearing. The beginning is a little tougher than most of the game though. You will being yelling "loving cheating spider!" A few times before your character finally starts picking up.

Puzzle quest 2 is a little annoying with its puzzle. Do you want to search a room for treasure and enemies? Puzzle. Want to fight? Puzzle. What prizes are you getting from that fight? Puzzle. Oh no a trap! Do another puzzle. After 3-6 puzzles per room and dozen of rooms per floor and dozens of floors, I got so loving sick of bejeweled.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Try Puzzle Craft. It has IAP but you won't need it. It's pretty tough to ever make the timer run down.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gaxsezu posted:

Monsters Ate My Condo is my game of choice for short breaks. Not exactly that type of match three, but that's what you do a lot.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
^^^ I have that too! Yeah it's a great game for spurts.

Trastion posted:

Why not play 1000000 since you mention that?

I got kind of bored with it after a while. Like Shwqa said below Puzzle Quest 2 could get a little tedious too, but I liked that there was at least some strategy while I was playing. PAD is almost exactly what I want if only it didn't kill my battery and I didn't have to worry about dragon builds and what days to make sure to play to get bonuses and all that poo poo.

Tunga posted:

Try Puzzle Craft. It has IAP but you won't need it. It's pretty tough to ever make the timer run down.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Shwqa posted:

Puzzle quest 2 is a little annoying with its puzzle. Do you want to search a room for treasure and enemies? Puzzle. Want to fight? Puzzle. What prizes are you getting from that fight? Puzzle. Oh no a trap! Do another puzzle. After 3-6 puzzles per room and dozen of rooms per floor and dozens of floors, I got so loving sick of bejeweled.
Isn't that the point of the game? Doing puzzles? The non-puzzle parts of the game are total poo poo that were tacked on as an afterthought.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
What are the best Fire Emblem/Advance Wars/Shining Force/Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics style games on Android?

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
Wow. Puzzle Craft is incompatible with my S3 AND Nexus 10? Are these devices not common/popular enough or something?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Tiny Death Star just updated, and it's kind of terrible. Not sure if anyone is still playing it, but I found the Star Wars theme amusing enough to look past the game continually trying its hardest to shove me down the IAP route.

Anyway, this update changed the imperial levels from something you tossed spare VIPs to every once in a while to end up with a big payout, into completely pointless wastes of time. Used to be you could use the free randomly appearing VIPs or spend 1000 credits a pop to build items and turn them in for a big reward (that was worth more than you'd spent to get it). But now you have to spend credits every time, and the VIPs have turned into fast forward buttons that make one item build instantly. But someone is an idiot at basic math. My current mission is to build 14 of an item that costs 1,585 credits per. The reward is 18,500 credits. Making that a final earning of negative 3,690 credits. Great job! :v:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't that the point of the game? Doing puzzles? The non-puzzle parts of the game are total poo poo that were tacked on as an afterthought.

Yeah but it gets to be too much. Puzzle quest 1 made really entertaining battles and the other puzzles where few and far between to shake things up. The 2nd game is just room after room of: First check the room, which starts a boring few minutes long bejewel puzzle. Then disarm traps which is another few boring minutes long bejewel puzzle. Then you finally get to a fight which is nice, but then you can't just enjoy your victory. You have to do another boring bejewel puzzle to see what your treasure is and how much gold you got. Repeat that forever unless you want to upgrade your stuff which was another boring puzzle.

I beat puzzle quest 1 twice. I played 3 hours of puzzle quest 2, before never picking it up again.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

gaxsezu posted:

Wow. Puzzle Craft is incompatible with my S3 AND Nexus 10? Are these devices not common/popular enough or something?

Considering the s3 is probably the android phone with the most units out there right now, the developer is either dumb, there's a legitimate issue with the phone, or its just not available in your region.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It usually says it's not available in your region if you look on the internet version of the play store at least. Which this doesn't for US/T-mobile with S3 and N7-2013. So yeah, it's pretty dumb.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

What are the best Fire Emblem/Advance Wars/Shining Force/Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics style games on Android?

Battle for Wesnoth. King's Bounty has some nice tactical battles, too. Also,

Paladinus posted:

Anything by Mangobile. Must have been mentioned at some point. Pretty much your standard TBS/SRPG in vein of Fire Emblem with a hint of Wars.
Mecho Wars. Another TBS closer to Wars this time around. It's a tad short and easy, but the art style is very neat. Character designs are cute and horrifying at the same time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

gaxsezu posted:

It's compatible with my N10 (though honestly it's not really suited to a screen that size) so most likely you're seeing a geographic restriction. Sorry :( .

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

gaxsezu posted:

Is there a Match-3 type or even just a simple puzzler I can play for a few minutes while having a smoke break at work or having a smoke break while making GBS threads that doesn't have any kind of eventual bullshit like, say, Candy Crush?

Pocket Trains? It's puzzle-esque and is perfect for playing a few minutes here and there.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
The Pocket Knights thread is up now, so you can take all your questions / comments / complaints over to there. Sorry for the derail, thread!

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
I was able to install Puzzle Craft through my phone and I could see this acting as a nice, fun, distracting time sink. Thanks!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mr_Chicken posted:

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but a co-worker told me about 7x7 today at lunch and uh...It's horribly addictive.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=me.kiip.skeemo

Worth a download, I think.

I have a love/hate relationship with 7x7. I don't "enjoy" playing it, but I spend a lot of time playing it at work in my downtime while I'm listening to music/podcasts and need something to do to keep busy.

Anyone have good recommendations for something like it that I can replace it with?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You'd think so, but seriously Puzzle Quest 2 was pretty goddamn terrible compared to the first one. I got PQ2 for DS for like $5 used at Gamestop and actually bothered to return it, that's how boring it was.

And for some reason I can't understand only 2 is on the Play Store, which is especially stupid since I had the original PQ on a dumb flip-phone 4 years ago.

Anyway, Steve Jackson games needs to step the gently caress up and start releasing the Sorcery! gamebooks on Android. The first one has been on iOS for almost a year, and was supposed to be on Android by the end of last year. How hard can it be to port gamebooks? I mean, I know these gamebooks are of a much higher quality than stuff like the Lone Wolf android ports, but still.

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004

precision posted:

You'd think so, but seriously Puzzle Quest 2 was pretty goddamn terrible compared to the first one. I got PQ2 for DS for like $5 used at Gamestop and actually bothered to return it, that's how boring it was.

And for some reason I can't understand only 2 is on the Play Store, which is especially stupid since I had the original PQ on a dumb flip-phone 4 years ago.

Anyway, Steve Jackson games needs to step the gently caress up and start releasing the Sorcery! gamebooks on Android. The first one has been on iOS for almost a year, and was supposed to be on Android by the end of last year. How hard can it be to port gamebooks? I mean, I know these gamebooks are of a much higher quality than stuff like the Lone Wolf android ports, but still.

Although I never played the original Puzzle Quest, I did play a lot of PQ2 (mainly for work, but also for fun) and I rather liked the crafting elements, a few of the minigames, the variety of the enemies, and how differently the classes played. There was certainly a lot that could have been streamlined, such as how technically and mechanically clunky the quest system was, but it's a pretty solid game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

We were talking about final fantasy 3 for the android. I decided to quote the guy that just finished the lets play of it. Here is his/her final summary

Cool Ghost posted:

Honestly, though, the game does have a basic level of competence to it. It never completely poo poo the bed and stopped working while I played it, and while a lot of the environments are kind of bland, I think the visual design is pretty nice overall. There are even some nice little touches, like the different designs and characteristic outfit elements for each kid and the fact that your overworld model changes when you change jobs. The early part of the game is even pretty fun to play, I think, and it's not until around Saronia that things really start to slow down and turn into a slog.

A lot of problems I saw came from execution. Trying to make every job unique is a nice idea, but with 23 jobs (and spaced out the way they are), it doesn't quite work and you end up with a lot of lame ones or the player just doesn't have enough time and space to experiment. They also tried to make the battle system more "modern", I think, but missed the mark. Fighting really is lame in this game, for a bunch of reasons (battles are slow, enemies that act multiple times and are HP mountains, stupid turn order). As far as text goes, a lot of the new text is either useless or word salad, which sucks, and pretty much nothing is done with the kids' personalities, so they're pretty interchangeable in general. I feel like a lot of the game's bad reception with fans comes from the last few areas, really, which are really drat bad even when they're just compared to the rest of the game.

Anyway, that's what I think.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

XIII posted:

I have a love/hate relationship with 7x7. I don't "enjoy" playing it, but I spend a lot of time playing it at work in my downtime while I'm listening to music/podcasts and need something to do to keep busy.

Anyone have good recommendations for something like it that I can replace it with?

7 Little Words
Flow Free

Both great for quickie rounds.

Also maintain your awesome farm in Hay Day - yea it's a farmville clone but it's a really good one.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

gaxsezu posted:

No matter how many new games I try to get into, Dungeon Raid always sucks me back in. I ignored it for a while because the OP was so old, I figured there were new games better than it, but I finally picked it up a few months ago and there's nothing else like it. Puzzle Craft was fun too, but Dungeon Raid has that leveling and upgrading feel that I can't pull away from.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The game that pulled me away from Dungeon Raid is Dungelot: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rws.dungelotFull&hl=en

It seems simple as you start out, but gets really hairy as you try to get further and further each time. The mechanics look kind of like Minesweeper at first, but it's kind of more about knowing when to attack what, and whether to press your luck for better rewards or just exit the level.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 7, 2014

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The game that pulled me away from Dungeon Raid is Dungelot: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rws.dungelotFull&hl=en

It seems simple as you start out, but gets really hairy as you try to get further and further each time. The mechanics look kind of like Minesweeper at first, but it's kind of more about knowing when to attack what, and whether to press your luck for better rewards or just exit the level.

Going to check this out. Thanks!

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Its addictive for a time but once you have some upgrades it can be pretty easy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

EdBlackadder posted:

Its addictive for a time but once you have some upgrades it can be pretty easy.

Yeah, but getting there is the fun part. I like that it eventually "ends" - everyone thinks well of 10000000, and that game has an actual literal ending. Sometimes I'd rather I finish a game than burn out on it.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I've caught the Winter Olympics bug so I've been compelled to check out the Play Store for an SSX-style arcade snowboarding game. There's actually a couple of them out there but most of them suffer from lovely presentation and/or terrible controls. I feel the best of the lot is is probably SummitX Snowboarding. It's got some nice graphics and a control scheme that I think actually works reasonably well, but it still feels kind of slapped together. Honorable mentions go to Crazy Snowboard and APO Snow, which are both decent but feel off in their own ways. Also none of them appear to have a race mode :(

What's annoying is that there actually is an official SSX game out for Android, based on the last game. Alas, in EA's great wisdom its an exclusive for two new Xperia phones. Lame.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 8, 2014

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

mrkillboy posted:

I've caught the Winter Olympics bug so I've been compelled to check out the Play Store for an SSX-style arcade snowboarding game. There's actually a couple of them out there but most of them suffer from lovely presentation and/or terrible controls. I feel the best of the lot is is probably SummitX Snowboarding. It's got some nice graphics and a control scheme that I think actually works reasonably well, but it still feels kind of slapped together. Honorable mentions go to Crazy Snowboard and APO Snow, which are both decent but feel off in their own ways. Also none of them appear to have a race mode :(

Do any of them burst into song after I pull off a flawless series of ubers? Because for a while I lived for the moment when I did everything right and heard "IT'S TRICKY to rock around...."

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

So this is happening for some reason:

quote:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/02/09/flappy-bird-shut-down-dong-nguyen/

If you’re a Flappy Bird player, we have some bad news for you. Are you sitting down? You might want to sit down for this. The wildly popular and notoriously difficult free mobile game will soon be shut down.

Flappy Bird’s Vietnamese creator, Dong Nguyen, announced Saturday on Twitter that he’d be taking the game—currently the most popular for both Android and Apple—down for good.

Dong didn’t add much further explanation, but he did clarify that the decision is not related to legal issues. “I just cannot keep it anymore,” he said.

Millions—yes, literally millions—of Flappy Bird fans will be disappointed when the game goes dark, but don’t feel too bad if you’ve never heard of it. The game has flown relatively under the radar compared to its zeitgeist-dominating counterparts like Candy Crush and Angry Birds.

The game is simple, infuriatingly difficult, and apparently, rather addictive. The user must guide a bird through sets of green pipes by tapping the screen, earning one point for each set of pipes cleared.

You should also know that since its release last May, the app has been downloaded 50 million times. It has also accrued nearly 50,000 reviews in the App Store. Oh, and Flappy Bird also pulls in an average of $50,000 per day from in-app advertising revenue, the Verge reports.

If the game sounds like fun to you, well, you’re too late. Oh, Flappy Bird, we hardly knew ye.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Dude is getting out while the going is good. He apparently got insulted pretty heavily and his game has some questionable legality. He made hundreds of thousands of dollars. Maybe even millions. If he doesn't want the spotlight, he doesn't have to take it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are accusations flying around that he basically stole the game.

Since the "game" is poo poo and barely even a game, it's hard to say whether you could count it as stolen, copied, or whatever.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

It wasn't exactly an original idea for a game, which makes its popularity even more confusing.

edit: I guess that's a dumb thing to say

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

I assume he's still making money from the millions of copies that are already installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

subroc posted:

I assume he's still making money from the millions of copies that are already installed.

Oh he will. And now everyone is talking about it. He just created marketing hype and scarcity. Genius....

• Locked thread