Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Pan Ache posted:

Also where the gently caress is the factory in pocket mine the game has yet to shove that down my throat.
I think it's when you hit level 20 or so? It gives you a way to convert chests upwards, as well as some card combinations. It also lets you convert cards upwards too, though you need to first max out the card before you can start converting the extras. Most conversions cost Magic Cubes, which you get by throwing artifacts you don't want at the factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

jubelio posted:

oh sorry, I'm not fitting your strawman well enough.

THREES IS EXACTLY LIKE TRIPLE TOWN.

there you go, troll away.

I suppose it is a BIT much to expect you to read more than a single post. These forum thread things seem to have confused you.
Threes plays nothing like Triple Town (I'm not even sure you could make a meaningful gameplay comparison beyond "try not to fill up the board"), and it's a really good game (so is Triple Town for that matter).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

xzzy posted:

I like how they're very clearly point out there's no IAP.
I was already interested, but this attitude by the developer means I'm going to buy it right now :cool:

I also just realised this is by the same guys that made Puzzlejuice. That should convince you either to buy this game now, or to go buy Puzzlejuice now as well (it's a great, tense combination of Tetris and SpellTower (go get SpellTower too)).

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

wyoak posted:

Threes plays nothing like Triple Town (I'm not even sure you could make a meaningful gameplay comparison beyond "try not to fill up the board"), and it's a really good game (so is Triple Town for that matter).

It looks like a cool game, and definitely looks unique enough that I'll check it out especially with the board slide. They are both match games that require you to build up higher level matches from lower level ones in an effort to clear up board space. Thats pretty drat similar. I guess people would get just as mad if I called candy crush and bejeweled similar. Do people remember bejeweled still?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Threes owns, Puzzlejuice owns, I have never played triple town.

I like games that specify there is no and will never be any IAP.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

TACD posted:

I was already interested, but this attitude by the developer means I'm going to buy it right now :cool:

I also just realised this is by the same guys that made Puzzlejuice. That should convince you either to buy this game now, or to go buy Puzzlejuice now as well (it's a great, tense combination of Tetris and SpellTower (go get SpellTower too)).

I like Tetris

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

jubelio posted:

Oh so the difference is that the whole board slides, thats a nice change. I'm not trying to poo poo on your precious new app.

If you can't understand how they are similar, here is a basic synopsis that could describe either game:

You combine things on a grid in an escalating fashion to create more room on the board.

Well, for one it's not precious to me since I haven't bought, played, or even seen the game aside from that gif.

More importantly, "You fight progressively stronger monsters in order to restore peace to a world/kingdom ravaged by war." Jeez, I guess 50% of games are pretty much the same. You've opened my eyes.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Threes is a lot of fun on a basic level its like sudoku in the sense that position and relation matter. But then you realize with enough space you can bring new items on from any edge and then it becomes more like four sided tetris as you drop blocks into holes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Piquai Souban posted:

I liked Kingdom Rush - should I get Tower Dwellers?

I'd get Kingdom Rush: Frontiers, personally. :v:

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

topiKal posted:

More importantly, "You fight progressively stronger monsters in order to restore peace to a world/kingdom ravaged by war." Jeez, I guess 50% of games are pretty much the same. You've opened my eyes.

strawman

2. a weak or sham argument set up to be easily refuted [syn: straw man]

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I like how they're very clearly point out there's no IAP.

Yeah ok, bought!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/210168/EA_downplays_Dungeon_Keeper_freetoplay_criticisms.php

[Update: As confirmed by Gamasutra, EA has employed a rather sneaky system for rating the game. As spotted by Mike Robinson on Twitter, when Dungeon Keeper asks you to rate the game on Android and you choose to give it less than 5 stars, the game doesn't allow you to do so, and instead asks you to message the company with your feedback.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I'm surprised it doesn't just set your gems to 0 and bill you a few times if you give it less than 5 stars.

e: It'll be a financial success in the end, further reinforcing the creation of these games and making mobile more and more of a vast wasteland of IAP gimmicks.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 6, 2014

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

jubelio posted:

strawman

2. a weak or sham argument set up to be easily refuted [syn: straw man]

This positively crushing :master: proves you're the superior of all these people mocking you in the thread about what $2 games are like. Good work, keep posting.

Worst poo poo about threes: making a nice corner for all your big blocks and then swiping a 1 into them.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This has to be against some Developer ToS, right?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The game itself is a loving dungeon, holy poo poo that's hilariously evil.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Sunblood posted:

Has anybody else played Hero Siege? It's a horribly generic name for what is actually a pretty decent mash up between Binding of Isaac and Diablo. You pick a Hero (Viking, Archer, Pyro to begin with) and you're dumped into an arena that spawns waves of monsters. Run around blowing up baddies and crates until they're all dead, wait for new wave, repeat.

The twist comes in when you beat a boss - a random item will drop that you can pick up to increase your power somehow. It might be a big wand that heals you on use, or it might be a floating eyeball that follows you around shooting poison tears at enemies. So far I've found ~20 different pickups, though sadly the game doesn't let you go back and see what you've found already.

Each play through is a new run and you start with no items, but your character actually levels up as you play and that's permanent. You get two stat points that you can put into four attributes, and a skill point that goes into one of four passive benefits or a high-power active skill.

The premium currency is Crystals, but I started with 100 and now I'm up to 150 just by playing. You don't use them for much either, there's a chance for a chest to be a Crystal chest that you need a key (8c) to open, but 90% of the time it will give you a positive gain. You get them via achievements too.

The levels are looong as well. There are three acts of 30 waves each. Every six waves there's a boss spawn and you move to a new area. There's a chance for a random dungeon to appear that you can venture into and get another Item.
Controls are dual-stick, ranged classes only shoot in cardinal directions. Very fun game.

I really like the concept of this game, but the controls are loving awful sometimes. My pyromancer seems to change direction randomly and walk right into monsters and traps. I'm still enjoying it though, thanks for the recommendation.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Deleted pocket mine after one too many unbreakable bedrock walls. This game is possibly the most money-grubbing IAP crap I've tried in a long time.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

Javid posted:

Deleted pocket mine after one too many unbreakable bedrock walls. This game is possibly the most money-grubbing IAP crap I've tried in a long time.

Those walls always have at least one hole in them. You're more right to be mad about stone blocks. But yeah it's just the classic "upgrade to progress 2 inches" endless runner.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sad lions posted:

I think more Tiny Thief chapters are coming relatively soon.

My five year old daughter will be thrilled. It's such a lovely, charming game.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
It's kind of blowing my mind that people are getting pissy about the comparison of Threes to Triple Town. How can you not see that the games share a fundamental mechanic? For gods sake, its not like it's some kind of insult or anything.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Solkanar512 posted:

This has to be against some Developer ToS, right?

The wild west of Android development has no regulations. Or if they do no one ever follows them.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

If any you goons need another lovely freemium RPG to play, come join us at the pocket knight's thread. It is stupid, but fun and free.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607383&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Shwqa posted:

If any you goons need another lovely freemium RPG to play, come join us at the pocket knight's thread. It is stupid, but fun and free.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3607383&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I would, but like Puzzle & Dragons, the game isn't available in my region. Anyone know of any way around that? Besides abandoning my iCloud account or jail breaking I mean.

Also, thanks for the Threes and Great Big War Game recommendations everyone. These will keep me busy for quite some time.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Can anyone explain to me how the new tiles coming onto the board works in Three. I know it slides in from the direction that you slide that turn, but does it just pick a random row or column or is there some way to predict it?

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

croutonZA posted:

I would, but like Puzzle & Dragons, the game isn't available in my region. Anyone know of any way around that? Besides abandoning my iCloud account or jail breaking I mean.

Also, thanks for the Threes and Great Big War Game recommendations everyone. These will keep me busy for quite some time.

Make a free itunes account of the region that can get it, switch your iphone to that account, go to the store and download it. I have the US and Japanese versions of Puzzle and Dragons on my phone.

Guide to make a japanese itunes account

Probably easier to make a US account considering it's in english. Puzzle and Dragons doesn't really use icloud, so after you install the games, run the updates, you can switch back to your original region store.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
I was looking for a new free or cheap RPG and saw that Warhammer Quest is currently down to $1. I jumped on it 'cause hey, it's a buck. Is any of the IAP worth it, assuming it doesn't get a price reduction?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Motley posted:

Can anyone explain to me how the new tiles coming onto the board works in Three. I know it slides in from the direction that you slide that turn, but does it just pick a random row or column or is there some way to predict it?
It'll move into a row/column that moved, but I think it's random there (so if only two columns move, it'll be one of those two).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Hellburger99 posted:

I was looking for a new free or cheap RPG and saw that Warhammer Quest is currently down to $1. I jumped on it 'cause hey, it's a buck. Is any of the IAP worth it, assuming it doesn't get a price reduction?

Thanks for the heads up on this. For some reason the Touch Arcade app didn't pick up on this so I would have missed it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Hellburger99 posted:

Absolutely. The two quest expansions add in entirely new regions and monsters. The Skaven region is good because you can actually fast travel over there and enjoy low level quests against the smaller rats. The Brutal Tribe quest pack has higher level content you'll want to work up to.

I also enjoy the two undead packs, as both of those just add in new types of random monsters in the white (endless) side quests which keeps variety up. All of the quest and monster content I can recommend wiithout hesitation.

All lf the IAP heroes are worth it, but you'd probably only want to buy the ones you like the sound of, and only once you are sure you like the core gameplay. I got them all because I've got 20+ hours in the game, and will put in many many more. Even just one or two lets you mix things up. I like to roll hardcore mode, and when a hero dies I just take the next one from the list and see how that works out for me.

The vampire tileset is ok, but really only needed of you really like the game and want more graphics. Looks cool, but doesn't change the game. Again, I just got this because it's a game I'll return to many times.

Don't bother with the weapons, they are basically cheat modes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I only started Threes today, but wgat is everyone's best score? Highest number?

My highest is 2613 with a highest number of 192.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns
When I first saw Threes I immediately compared it to Triple Town in my mind. Similar concept of not burying yourself through carefully planning matches. Much different execution obviously, and Threes seems way the hell less tedious to me. Really surprised it didn't get Editor's Choice.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Feenix posted:

I only started Threes today, but wgat is everyone's best score? Highest number?

My highest is 2613 with a highest number of 192.

3051 with highest of 192 on my first try. Neat game!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Man, no one talking about FF6 dropping in iOS?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Original_Z posted:

Man, no one talking about FF6 dropping in iOS?

Wasn't it out ages ago and everyone hated it?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Well, guess who's going to download this just so he can leave a 1-star review and then delete it? This currently has an average 2.5 star rating, I want to help make it the nice round 1 it deserves.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Kepa posted:

When I first saw Threes I immediately compared it to Triple Town in my mind. Similar concept of not burying yourself through carefully planning matches. Much different execution obviously, and Threes seems way the hell less tedious to me. Really surprised it didn't get Editor's Choice.
Best thing is that the moves are very distinct, require a bit of effort, and are small in number. Basically; you can play it one handed on a bus without messing up. The same can't be said of Triple Town. Therefore Threes is clearly better case closed.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

webmeister posted:

Wasn't it out ages ago and everyone hated it?

It was out on Android. The commentary I saw early on was pretty positive though. I think it's just the sprites that people are up in arms about.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I'm so addicted to Threes that it's taking over my nicotine addiction... which is a good thing!

Really, get the game. It's addicting as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Hellburger99 posted:

Has anyone tried this on the original ipad mini? I'm in the market for a new RPG and that is all I have. How does it run?

• Locked thread