Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

lexan posted:

I watched the one where Picard goes to visit his rear end in a top hat brother at the family vineyard last night. Everyone was wearing these weird tunics with v-necks down to their navels. It's like the costume designer was trying to imply rural and futuristic at the same time, and failed miserably.

I believe the word you are looking for is "futurustic."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Tony Montana posted:

Post your Trek fashion

A good post, but you forgot the rad as hell TOS Romulan uniforms:

Still really want to make one for halloween at some point but finding fabric that matches is freaking impossible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This Romulan looks like a no good Vulcan. Also nice helmet.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Keep in mind that at least for TOS, costumes had to be something that could be made with minimal fabric by an illegal sweatshop. That's the kind of margin they were operating under.

And? They clearly did a really good job with it.

The budgets may have been bigger for TNG-era, but the clothes in general look a whole lot worse.

Compare these:

to these:

I mean it doesn't help that TOS has radder lighting than TNG era, but still. The worst thing ever is whatever the gently caress Leeta is wearing. And that dress Dax is wearing literally looks like it was pulled off the rack at some shop that sells prom dresses for teenaged girls, AND she's wearing leggings with it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
A rare strike against DS9 (and more common Voyager) was the Romulans, IMO. In TOS and TNG, they were Vulcan offshoots that didn't subscribe to logic and such and they acted basically like humans. "Well, Captain, how long are we going to sit here and stare at each other from across the neutral zone!"

Meanwhile, on DS9 and Voyager, they were basically just evil Vulcans. Never really showing emotions, with a couple rare/notable exceptions (It's a faaaaaaaaaaaake and Sub Commander T'Rul in general).

Maybe Spock's influence in Unification was more pervasive than it seemed to be.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Apollodorus posted:

I believe the word you are looking for is "futurustic."

I wasn't at the time, but now I think we all were, we just didn't know it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Knitting is clearly required there, Romulans obviously have their Grandmas make their clothes.

1st AD posted:

Grace that is woman

Haha, I was going to post more TOS babes but I thought better of it. Looking (ALOT) at the hotties of TOS and often they're really just wearing very little, defined stomachs and slender arms are nearly always on show. Many of the outfits are just short of bikinis, really.

But yes, Dax is wearing a dress with what looks like jeans poking out the bottom. I guess with stuff like SevenofNine you've gotta use more modern fabrics, in the TOS era knits and textured stuff wasn't ridiculous but now you'd laugh and say 'my Grandad has a shirt made of that poo poo'

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hm now that I think about it, MY GIRLFRIEND (who has naturally straight, black hair) would look really good in one of those TOS Romulan uniforms. Too bad I don't look like Spock at all or we could have a fun sexytime roleplaying convention-going couple's outfit.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Tony Montana posted:

I guess with stuff like SevenofNine you've gotta use more modern fabrics, in the TOS era knits and textured stuff wasn't ridiculous but now you'd laugh and say 'my Grandad has a shirt made of that poo poo'
But I'm sure your great great great grandad did as well, and your great great grandson will too. Spandex was invented decades ago and we're not all running around in cat suits just because it's newer.

If you've seen Her, that's a great way to do unobtrusive 'future' clothes. People are in regular-rear end clothes of regular-rear end materials, with difference of color and cut. Enough to look different while being something a normal person might actually wear.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, you think about fashion and it's usually little differences on the same poo poo.

Last night I watched The Conversation (Gene Hackman, 1974, it's good and a classic.. that theme tune you'll recognize.. certainly a bit slow at first but I like slow.. probably sums up my TOS movies vs JJTrek stance perfectly) and it's got Harrison Ford rocking a 70s suit. The collar and tie is hilarious, he could almost straighten the collar a bit and take flight.. while the tie was so fat that it would keep him warm. But the suit is still a suit, most of it is just as it was 50 years earlier or today.

I think in Looper they had jackets like we do but everyone's collar was popped, always. Just a little difference, but it was enough to be different and hence future but everyone didn't look like an idiot.

You can even go retro, so retro that it's future because it's obviously a future society idealizing a past look just because they can. The loving classic look of Bladerunner, one of the few movies that really added to the visuals of an excellent text is 1930s detective noir and it loving owns because of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

armoredgorilla posted:

A rare strike against DS9 (and more common Voyager) was the Romulans, IMO. In TOS and TNG, they were Vulcan offshoots that didn't subscribe to logic and such and they acted basically like humans. "Well, Captain, how long are we going to sit here and stare at each other from across the neutral zone!"

Meanwhile, on DS9 and Voyager, they were basically just evil Vulcans. Never really showing emotions, with a couple rare/notable exceptions (It's a faaaaaaaaaaaake and Sub Commander T'Rul in general).

Maybe Spock's influence in Unification was more pervasive than it seemed to be.
In fairness the Romulans barely showed up much on DS9 until the end, whereas in TNG they are arguably one of the main antagonists.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tony Montana posted:

You can even go retro, so retro that it's future because it's obviously a future society idealizing a past look just because they can. The loving classic look of Bladerunner, one of the few movies that really added to the visuals of an excellent text is 1930s detective noir and it loving owns because of it.

I think the reason noir as a genre keeps being duplicated (including in a lot of Holodeck TNG and that episode of DS9 in which Odo narrates), in terms of the lighting, the costuming, the cadence of the writing, the characterization and just about everything, is that it translates quite well to film. Its tropes gel quite well into other genres, and the tone alters very easily by picking and choosing which things to emphasize. Clipped narration from a depressed, cynical but ultimately hopeful narrator, the exposure of corruption, the depiction of huge gaps in wealth, the heavy use of shadows, clothes that hide faces when necessary, mysteries that resolve as shaggy dog stories but still satisfy, characters that come from stock but still feel human.

That or I just grew up watching and reading hardboiled detective fiction and have a soft spot for it :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
About the DS9 episode "Family Business"-- wouldn't have it been possible for Ishka to retain her fortune and businesses if she had, for example, simply made an "agreement" to sell or surrender it all to Quark for an outrageously low sum, like a single slip of latinum, and then Quark could simply raise his monthly stipend to her by a very large amount? Or perhaps Quark could even have charged some kind of holding fee, a small percentage, and sent the rest back to her. That way, Ishka could continue to keep her profits and income, Quark could make a tidy profit for holding it for her, and the FCA imprecation against females making money would be neatly side-stepped.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

About the DS9 episode "Family Business"-- wouldn't have it been possible for Ishka to retain her fortune and businesses if she had, for example, simply made an "agreement" to sell or surrender it all to Quark for an outrageously low sum, like a single slip of latinum, and then Quark could simply raise his monthly stipend to her by a very large amount?

Like he would do that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

About the DS9 episode "Family Business"-- wouldn't have it been possible for Ishka to retain her fortune and businesses if she had, for example, simply made an "agreement" to sell or surrender it all to Quark for an outrageously low sum, like a single slip of latinum, and then Quark could simply raise his monthly stipend to her by a very large amount?

You're trusting Quark in a business arrangement?

I have some things I can sell you for a very low price, PM me for details.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

You're trusting Quark in a business arrangement?

But he loves his moogie. :colbert:

Okay, fine, she could've passed it off to Rom instead.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

She wouldn't have been interested in that kind of arrangement, she wanted her own business and her own opportunity to pursue profit, it would have been a hollow victory if she got Quark to take care of it all for her, plus it would have completely undermined the feminist subtext of the whole episode.

"Got a problem? Let the men take care of it." isn't the greatest message.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Not when he was going to be fined and it was more of an issue of putting her in her place. Brunt would also find a way to screw Quark. Also Quark would find a way to screw Rom over since he does not have lobes for buisness.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Okay, fine, she could've passed it off to Rom instead.

You're giving the money to Rom? That fool will lose it before he can get back to his quarters! No, you were right the first time, give it to the true businessman.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

bobkatt013 posted:

Bones is always a pimp

Holy poo poo, check out the abs on those
girls. :haw:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I think the reason noir as a genre keeps being duplicated (including in a lot of Holodeck TNG and that episode of DS9 in which Odo narrates), in terms of the lighting, the costuming, the cadence of the writing, the characterization and just about everything, is that it translates quite well to film. Its tropes gel quite well into other genres, and the tone alters very easily by picking and choosing which things to emphasize. Clipped narration from a depressed, cynical but ultimately hopeful narrator, the exposure of corruption, the depiction of huge gaps in wealth, the heavy use of shadows, clothes that hide faces when necessary, mysteries that resolve as shaggy dog stories but still satisfy, characters that come from stock but still feel human.

That or I just grew up watching and reading hardboiled detective fiction and have a soft spot for it :v:

I see your point, it's like a drama style built for film. There is also something about grizzled older men who drink and smoke and have lines on their faces, as opposed to the clean faced children than are often heroes in modern film. A man wearing a coat and hat as opposed to a kid with a gelled hairdo and perfect complexion, dealing with a man's problems and demons. Men are inspired and women are attracted, it's all just very cool because it's adult and real.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That meme is loving dumb because a more accurate analogy would be Clint Eastwood to Jason Statham or something.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

WampaLord posted:

She wouldn't have been interested in that kind of arrangement, she wanted her own business and her own opportunity to pursue profit, it would have been a hollow victory if she got Quark to take care of it all for her, plus it would have completely undermined the feminist subtext of the whole episode.

"Got a problem? Let the men take care of it." isn't the greatest message.

Hmm, yeah, you're right. That would've been evading the problem rather than confronting it.

Still, one has to wonder if something like this is the actual arrangement for a large number of Ferengi women. Maybe that's the sole reason why self-sealing stem-bolts exist -- to be a vehicle for money laundering. If I'm making a thousand bars of latinum a month, but I'm not technically supposed to earn money, I could just agree to buy a self-sealing stem bolt from a relative for an enormous price -- like a thousand bars of latinum -- and then have that relative send me back 250 bars a week in remittances.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really, the majority of Western youth would consider Jason Statham their hero over some Twilight bullshit?

edit: to qualify, it is a bit simplistic and dumb, but you get the point. Or maybe you don't.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 6, 2014

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
just pretend I replaced Eastwood with Travolta from Grease and Pattinson with the Rock or Vin Diesel or whatever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tony Montana posted:

Really, the majority of Western youth would consider Jason Statham their hero over some Twilight bullshit?

And the majority of kids in the sixties considered Clint Eastwood their hero?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Mm, ok, I guess in every era you could cherry pick examples.

I though Eastwood would have been a big hero in the 60s.

Anyways, part of the appeal of noir is that the male lead is usually a man grown, and everything that goes along with that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There have always been teenybopper heroes and grizzled man heroes.

One of hardboiled's flaws is admittedly its degradation of all things feminine (and there's a lot of racism in Chandler and his adaptive works), but I think the hyper-masculinity has been de-emphasized in some of the more successful modern noir, the most ready example of which is probably Veronica Mars.

Odo embodies the type in that he plays his cards close to his chest and isn't on anyone in particular's side early on (plus his face sort of fits the visual style), but he's a long way from John Wayne.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Hmm, yeah, you're right. That would've been evading the problem rather than confronting it.

Still, one has to wonder if something like this is the actual arrangement for a large number of Ferengi women. Maybe that's the sole reason why self-sealing stem-bolts exist -- to be a vehicle for money laundering. If I'm making a thousand bars of latinum a month, but I'm not technically supposed to earn money, I could just agree to buy a self-sealing stem bolt from a relative for an enormous price -- like a thousand bars of latinum -- and then have that relative send me back 250 bars a week in remittances.

Hahaha, I like this explanation, it sounds like something that would be standard practice on Ferenginar.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

Mm, ok, I guess in every era you could cherry pick examples.

I though Eastwood would have been a big hero in the 60s.

Anyways, part of the appeal of noir is that the male lead is usually a man grown, and everything that goes along with that.

The most popular stuff of every year, of every day, is almost always the kind of thing you imagine 13 year old girls would enjoy (that everyone else also secretly enjoys :ssh: ).

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

1st AD posted:

I don't mind suits when they look good. A lot of the TNG era stuff is really ugly and badly fitting though, it's as if the wardrobe department was staffed by clueless baby boomers who bought poo poo from the Gap off the racks and didn't have a tailor on staff.

Kate Mulgrew doesn't look completely terrible in the all-cream pantsuit, and it's Tom wearing the mom jeans.

Tom Jeans. Mom Paris.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

And a do-rag for Tuvok.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cobalt Chloride posted:

And a do-rag for Tuvok.

Spock does not care for your 80's fashion

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cobalt Chloride posted:

And a do-rag for Tuvok.

Yeah :(

At least they didn't put a feathered headdress on Chakotay, I suppose.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cobalt Chloride posted:

And a do-rag for Tuvok.

Are we going there? It matched his outfit and they wanted to do something other than a hat. Yeesh.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Cobalt Chloride posted:

And a do-rag for Tuvok.

Well, to be fair, the "my friend is obviously Chinese" line wouldn't work as well with Tuvok. Because people in 90s Los Angeles know what Chinese people look like

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

Are we going there? It matched his outfit and they wanted to do something other than a hat. Yeesh.

:lol: It matched the outfit they created for him. Although actually, it doesn't even match!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Well, to be fair, the "my friend is obviously Chinese" line wouldn't work as well with Tuvok. Because people in 90s Los Angeles know what Chinese people look like

And people in 1986 San Francisco don't?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

bobkatt013 posted:

And people in 1986 San Francisco don't?

Uh, I was referring to City on the Edge of Forever where Kirk says "and my friend here is obviously Chinese." :eng101:

In San Francisco people literally dress like Spock in ST4 all the time, and have been since the 60s. Spock's clothes weren't the problem, it's when he took them off to go swimming with the whales that people noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Tony Montana posted:

I see your point, it's like a drama style built for film. There is also something about grizzled older men who drink and smoke and have lines on their faces, as opposed to the clean faced children than are often heroes in modern film. A man wearing a coat and hat as opposed to a kid with a gelled hairdo and perfect complexion, dealing with a man's problems and demons. Men are inspired and women are attracted, it's all just very cool because it's adult and real.

:lol: "Real men" :rolleyes:

• Locked thread