Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Everything Burrito posted:

I think I'm finally gonna have to toss the Preppy I was using for BSB. Not sure if the ink gummed it up or what but recently it's gotten to where it won't start and skips all the time. I'll probably give it one last good cleaning and see if that clears up the problem and if not, oh well. It wrote pretty well when it worked and saved my other pens from being stained so it has served its purpose.

Try some diluted ammonia. I had BSB dried to the feed of my Vac 700 and it cleaned it right off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Minenfeld! posted:

As nice as BSB is, I've never found it worth the headache to use over other blue inks. I'm currently enamored with Noodler's Henry Hudson Blue, Air-Corps Blue Black and Pelikan's Royal Blue. Give me a well-behaved and benign ink any day.

I didn't actually buy it on purpose. It was supposed to be a bottle of Noodler's Black but I liked it well enough that it wasn't worth the trouble of sending it back. It's a nice color but I don't think I would buy it intentionally.

I'll take some ammonia with me to work tomorrow; all my pens are at work but my cleaning supplies are at home which is a little inconvenient. I have another pen I've been meaning to clean out and put away because I have too many inked currently so I need some anyway.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Solumin posted:

Are the free Noodler's pens that come with large bottles of ink any good? The one I have feels pretty cheap, but I figure that doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the nib.

I like my demonstrator eyedropper pen (comes with the nikita ink, I actually bought the pen 2nd hand without the ink), good pen to keep BSB in.

I really like blues and wouldn't mind a tip for a good, benign and well behaved alternative to BSB myself. Lots of blues out there but no idea how they really stack up in real life. Currently I use Eel blue which is nice, but not the same color as BSB at all.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 6, 2014

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Kessel posted:

I also want to note that they have Pilot's crazy good daily writer, the Custom 823 plunger-filler, with the same special nib arrangements: http://www.japanshop-quill.com/pilot-custom823.htm. You can get these at 30,000 yen, or around USD$293 at current rates. This is a really good price for a pen/nib combination you could well use every day for the next twenty years.

This looks darn interesting to me, but I've just read in a review or two that you have to unscrew the end before you write? What's up with that?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

His Divine Shadow posted:

I like my demonstrator eyedropper pen (comes with the nikita ink, I actually bought the pen 2nd hand without the ink), good pen to keep BSB in.

I really like blues and wouldn't mind a tip for a good, benign and well behaved alternative to BSB myself. Lots of blues out there but no idea how they really stack up in real life. Currently I use Eel blue which is nice, but not the same color as BSB at all.

I use Lamy Turqoise as my day to day blue, and if I need to sign legal documents, Noodler's Polar Blue. I love Polar Blue, it dries super flat, is resistant to water and cold, and won't dry on the nib if I leave the pen uncapped for a few minutes.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Smiles posted:

This looks darn interesting to me, but I've just read in a review or two that you have to unscrew the end before you write? What's up with that?

The blind cap on all vacuum plunger fillers screws down to seal the ink chamber off from the feed. If you don't unscrew the cap, you can write with whatever is in the feed, but to write more than half a page you have to loosen the blind cap a bit so that ink can flow to the feed/nib.

On the flip side, vacuum fillers have advantages because of these quirks - they have enormous capacity (the entire barrel is the ink chamber) and can seal themselves for flights.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

cobalt impurity posted:

They're alright. It's a Platinum Preppy with the logo missing and it's not terrible for a pen that cost $4. A Pilot Metro would be leagues better, as would a Lamy Safari/Vista/Al-star, but those don't come free with a bottle of ink!

edit: the brush pen that comes with Baystate Blue is supposed to be pretty good as well. I forget what brand it's a relabel of, but it's a perfectly serviceable pen!

I like how the demonstrator eyedropper looks/works, and I might try to get one in the future, but I'll stick with my Metro for now then. Thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kessel posted:

The blind cap on all vacuum plunger fillers screws down to seal the ink chamber off from the feed. If you don't unscrew the cap, you can write with whatever is in the feed, but to write more than half a page you have to loosen the blind cap a bit so that ink can flow to the feed/nib.

On the flip side, vacuum fillers have advantages because of these quirks - they have enormous capacity (the entire barrel is the ink chamber) and can seal themselves for flights.

I have a Vac 700 and can't seem to get it to fill more than halfway or so. How the hell do you take advantage of that capacity?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

I have a Vac 700 and can't seem to get it to fill more than halfway or so. How the hell do you take advantage of that capacity?

Use one weird trick discovered by a mom. Manufacturers hate it!

1) Fill pen the way you normally do. It's probably around half full now.
2) Hold pen nib-side up. Pull plunger down again.
3) Push plunger in slowly. You want to push it in until the air at the top of the chamber is expelled and the ink is on the brink of being forced out the pen. At this point the plunger may be exerting a goodly amount of pressure back on you; hold it steady.
4) Still keeping the plunger held, put pen back into ink bottle and slam that plunger all the way. Pretty much the entire chamber will be filled at this point.

Repeat steps above if there's still air. Enjoy your newfound ability to write forever on a single fill.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Solkanar512 posted:

Try some diluted ammonia. I had BSB dried to the feed of my Vac 700 and it cleaned it right off.

That worked, looks like I'll get more use out of my $4 than expected. I had to pull the whole nib & feed to get at whatever was clogging it up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Everything Burrito posted:

That worked, looks like I'll get more use out of my $4 than expected. I had to pull the whole nib & feed to get at whatever was clogging it up.

Great to hear! I like to use it when I'm doing a deep cleaning, there's always something there when I was sure everything was clean.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Anyone have a relatively new TWSBI 580? I had sworn off them after dealing with cracking issues on two pens, but the limited capacity I've been dealing with on my Lamy Studio is driving me crazy and I see TWSBI claims to have fixed its issues with a new plastic. Do the new versions hold up or is there still a cracking problem?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Folderol posted:

Anyone have a relatively new TWSBI 580? I had sworn off them after dealing with cracking issues on two pens, but the limited capacity I've been dealing with on my Lamy Studio is driving me crazy and I see TWSBI claims to have fixed its issues with a new plastic. Do the new versions hold up or is there still a cracking problem?

I bought one right when they came out and have had no problems with it. Hasn't suffered any drops or anything to really stress test it though.

E: if you actually meant that you'd sworn off the 580 after problems rather than the 530/540 then I'm sorry for my worthless reply.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 7, 2014

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

SnakesRevenge posted:

I bought one right when they came out and have had no problems with it. Hasn't suffered any drops or anything to really stress test it though.

E: if you actually meant that you'd sworn off the 580 after problems rather than the 530/540 then I'm sorry for my worthless reply.

Nope, I had the earlier versions and very much appreciate the feedback. Thanks for chiming in!

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

Folderol posted:

I have a 580, Vac700, and mini, all of which I bought since summer of 2013. No cracking or any problems with them. They , along with the Pilot Metro, are all my favorite workhorse pens.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I really, really want to get a bottle of Noodler's Antietam, but Amazon won't ship to Mexico :negative:

Oh well, a relative will probably end up visiting another relatve in the US this year again and I can get it shipped there I guess.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Luisfe posted:

I really, really want to get a bottle of Noodler's Antietam, but Amazon won't ship to Mexico :negative:

Oh well, a relative will probably end up visiting another relatve in the US this year again and I can get it shipped there I guess.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Antietam_Ink_3oz_p/n19013.htm

I'm assuming they do Mexico since I've received packages from them across the pacific.

Folderol posted:

I've got a 580, no problems at all.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
My Konrad leaked all its ink into the cap. I haven't examined it to try to figure out what went wrong. ( probably user error when I reassembled it.) I am just complaining because :(

Also I found out when I opened itat work and got a bunch of iroshizuku on my leg.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

At least it'll wash off! :haw:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I think I'm going to cross my fingers and give TWSBI another shot. Many thanks for the input everyone!

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Welsper posted:

http://www.gouletpens.com/Noodlers_Antietam_Ink_3oz_p/n19013.htm

I'm assuming they do Mexico since I've received packages from them across the pacific.

They do! BUT the shipping is 20 bux. Without tracking. Daamn!
With tracking? 51 bux for the shipping. Yeeah I think I will wait for a relative to visit the US, haha.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Opinion on Aurora vs Iroshizuku for non-bulletproof black ink?

I'm also worried about accidentally getting ink on things.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

I use Aurora. It's the blackest black ink I've ever used and is very well behaved making it my go-to ink.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Take-sumi is a very nice ink but unless you get it on sale I don't think it's worth paying that much for black ink. One of the strengths of the Iroshizuku line is its selection of colours.

If you can get Iroshizuku at close to its actual Japanese price where you live, though, then go hog wild!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kessel posted:

Take-sumi is a very nice ink but unless you get it on sale I don't think it's worth paying that much for black ink. One of the strengths of the Iroshizuku line is its selection of colours.

If you can get Iroshizuku at close to its actual Japanese price where you live, though, then go hog wild!

You can get it at that price, through Rakuten Global market. It's in the OP.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Verdugo posted:

You can get it at that price, through Rakuten Global market. It's in the OP.

$12 for a bottle, $12 for shipping. Not quite the same.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Vitamins posted:

I use Aurora. It's the blackest black ink I've ever used and is very well behaved making it my go-to ink.

Noodler's Borealis Black is supposedly his take on Aurora Black. (Which makes sense, given the names!) They're both very, very black.
The biggest difference between the two (that I know of) is price. Borealis is significantly cheaper than the Aurora ink.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Solumin posted:

Noodler's Borealis Black is supposedly his take on Aurora Black. (Which makes sense, given the names!) They're both very, very black.
The biggest difference between the two (that I know of) is price. Borealis is significantly cheaper than the Aurora ink.

Anyone ever try Noodler's Dark Matter?

RustedChrome posted:

$12 for a bottle, $12 for shipping. Not quite the same.

This is true, but paying only $229 for a Pelikan M600 was pretty awesome.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 7, 2014

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Aurora Black is my daily go-to, largely under the recommendation of my local pen shop, and i'm pretty drat happy with it.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Anyone ever try Noodler's Dark Matter?

This is true, but paying only $229 for a Pelikan M600 was pretty awesome.

I use Dark Matter quite a bit. I think it's a pretty good-looking black for everyday use. I have heard people say they don't like it (compared to HoD or some of the more common black inks). Some people have said it is not as well behaved, but I haven't had any problems. IIRC, though, it is not bulletproof.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Kessel posted:

Use one weird trick discovered by a mom. Manufacturers hate it!

1) Fill pen the way you normally do. It's probably around half full now.
2) Hold pen nib-side up. Pull plunger down again.
3) Push plunger in slowly. You want to push it in until the air at the top of the chamber is expelled and the ink is on the brink of being forced out the pen. At this point the plunger may be exerting a goodly amount of pressure back on you; hold it steady.
4) Still keeping the plunger held, put pen back into ink bottle and slam that plunger all the way. Pretty much the entire chamber will be filled at this point.

Repeat steps above if there's still air. Enjoy your newfound ability to write forever on a single fill.

Thanks for this, Kessel. You just made me fall in love all over again with my Vac700.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

I've been using Private Reserve Ultra Black Fast Dry in my Pilot Metro, and I'm pretty darn happy with it. Dries in about 3 seconds, nice deep black. No feathering on any paper that I've tried it on thus var.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

wodan22 posted:

Thanks for this, Kessel. You just made me fall in love all over again with my Vac700.

No problem. Just remember not to fill it to the absolute brim, or the chance the pen will leak becomes significantly higher.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Can I use a Pilot Plumix as an eyedropper fill or is that asking for trouble?

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

kim jong-illin posted:

Can I use a Pilot Plumix as an eyedropper fill or is that asking for trouble?

A friend of mine did and had a lot of trouble with ink blots. It could be better with a different ink (his had Diamine Apple Glory), but I honestly think that skinny barrel just gets heated up by your hand too easily.

E: vv he plugged his up.

SnakesRevenge fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 7, 2014

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SnakesRevenge posted:

A friend of mine did and had a lot of trouble with ink blots. It could be better with a different ink (his had Diamine Apple Glory), but I honestly think that skinny barrel just gets heated up by your hand too easily.

Some models of the plumix / pluminix have a hole drilled in the bottom. Mine did.

PK-Fire
Sep 26, 2003

wodan22 posted:

I use Dark Matter quite a bit. I think it's a pretty good-looking black for everyday use. I have heard people say they don't like it (compared to HoD or some of the more common black inks). Some people have said it is not as well behaved, but I haven't had any problems. IIRC, though, it is not bulletproof.

http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-Kiwa-G...sailor+nano+ink

This is pricey, but has been my favorite black ink for a while. It's a suspension of nano particles similar to old india inks but fountain pen safe. This makes it very well behaved, very little feathering but dries pretty quickly. Permanent on paper but washes off hands easier than most inks. No shading at all very pure black, but it gets kind of a matte sheen if the pen puts down a wet enough line which I think looks good. There are a lot of glowing reviews on fountain pen network if anyone's curious.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got some Tsukushi as per Kessel's recommendation - haven't had a chance to try it yet because all my pens are filled! I also got a Metropolitan in the order and, wow, you all were not kidding. I loe my safari but the feel of the pen and everything is just awesome. Makes the Safari feel like it is on the scratchy side, and the fine line is very different from any of the pens I have. I wish I didn't put the included cartridge in it so I could put the Tsukushi in there...I would just take it out but I hate wasting ink!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So Goulets is going to sell Pelikans at the following prices:

M600 - $404
M800 - $572
M1000 - $748

Is that batshit crazy? I bought my M600 for a little over half that through Rakuten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PRADA SLUT posted:

Aurora is THE black ink. I wouldn't use any other black ink unless I needed waterproofness