Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm pretty happy with the midwest. Super cheap to live here, low population density, all 4 seasons in roughly equal amounts, and no emissions or safety inspections so I can do whatever the gently caress I want to my car. Supposedly there should be significantly more terrible car stuff due to that last one but it's no worse here then Dallas was when I lived there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Look at all you guys with your decadent ice scrapers. I use the finest in utilitarian snow and ice removal, the $0.99 wooden snow brush with cheap black plastic ice scraper end.

Managed to use the same one for about 6 years now, haven't broken it yet and it gets used and abused. Simplicity is key.

As for terrible car stuff, the cold weather is a burden on these cars. Ignoring the wear and tear on the engine and drive train components on cold starts, when you can hear the chassis making cracking noises from the slight flex you get as you slowly move over the snow ruts, that's a chilling noise.

Although this is a good illustration of the rust situation on the altima:

With the rest of it being all rusty I'm thinking chassis rigidity might be slightly compromised.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Look at all you guys with your decadent ice scrapers. I use the finest in utilitarian snow and ice removal, the $0.99 wooden snow brush with cheap black plastic ice scraper end.

Managed to use the same one for about 6 years now, haven't broken it yet and it gets used and abused. Simplicity is key.

As for terrible car stuff, the cold weather is a burden on these cars. Ignoring the wear and tear on the engine and drive train components on cold starts, when you can hear the chassis making cracking noises from the slight flex you get as you slowly move over the snow ruts, that's a chilling noise.

Although this is a good illustration of the rust situation on the altima:

With the rest of it being all rusty I'm thinking chassis rigidity might be slightly compromised.

I was going to post about those wooden scrapers. I broke I don't know how many fancy plastic/metal scrapers living in Ontario, until I remembered the old cheap wooden scraper that got me through winter in North Bay. Those things never break.

(for reference) If you're moving to or unfamiliar with bad winters and find yourself in the middle of one, this is the kind you want.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'll stick to washing the family's trucks in shorts in February.

Vegas life.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Facebook groups for car clubs are always gold.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
So that's what Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles have been up to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crustashio posted:

Facebook groups for car clubs are always gold.

What is this?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Slavvy posted:

What is this?

Looks a lot like a Pontiac Sunfire to me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Funzo posted:

Looks a lot like a Pontiac Sunfire to me.

Doesn't really answer the question though. :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SaNChEzZ posted:

How about 72 degrees 340 days out of the year and the occasional earthquake? LA Owns.

Enjoying the drought? :shepface:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've had this snow brush/scraper for two winters now and haven't had a problem with it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPLNXC/

Also this thing is awesome:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LDXLA/

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

My faucet/shower is still functional. What drought?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

Once you guys in the frozen tundras get finished with all that snow we ought to be fine. You're hogging it and we aren't getting your sweet, sweet runoff.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

It's actually one of 3 rainy days of the year today. But otherwise, yes!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Once you guys in the frozen tundras get finished with all that snow we ought to be fine. You're hogging it and we aren't getting your sweet, sweet runoff.

I wouldn't be so enthusiastic about that, up north snow is a blank canvas and penises are the paintbrush.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Your faucets work... for now. There are actually quite serious water issues coming up in California, even more serious than in past years.

And you aren't kidding about snow being a canvas, I'm a regular artist when it comes to pissing my name in the snow. :haw:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

We already get shot in the dick for running our sprinklers during the day (which, to be fair, is probably appropriate).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This was used to drive all of 2 miles to drop her precious angel off at public (private) boys school.

Chiswick yummy mummies :rolleyes:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Were you stalking her?

e: I will hear nothing against the women of Chiswick

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

echoplex posted:

Were you stalking her?

e: I will hear nothing against the women of Chiswick

Nah, they clog up our street with their Volvo XC90s, Range Rovers, and Cayennes every morning and afternoon.
And you don't have to put up with trying to purchase pâté and artisan baguettes from the delicatessen while they jam up the place with their double-wide Peg Perego pushchairs ;).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I wouldn't want to spend like a hour walking my kid to school and back gently caress that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I keep forgetting that kids who walk to school themselves are 100% guaranteed to be subject to some combination of kidnap/molestation/murder.

Saying that, I was usually dropped off to school in a 4x4. But it was near where my dad worked and the 4x4 was a Panda.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I wouldn't want to spend like a hour walking my kid to school and back gently caress that.

I said 2 miles because that's about as far as you can get from that school and park on our street and still be in W4. In reality it was probably more like 2 blocks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

My drat windshield cracked from the cold this morning, not sure why it handled a bucket of warm water to thaw the ice just fine a few weeks ago but grew a 1 foot crack today while I was driving, 20 minutes after I turned the defrost on. Dammit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You might have missed the part where that was weeks ago, and everything else I've ever owned has handled that fine... without cracking at all.

If anything, it was the defrost running that caused it. But again, the defrost had been on for 20 minutes. Last time I saw a windshield crack from thermal stress because of the defrost being on, it did it within a minute of the thermostat opening.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Throwing large quantities of warm water on frozen things is such a bad idea (or vice versa), I'm amazed it took this long to bite you.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Please read what I loving said again and note that THAT WAS WEEKS AGO. I haven't done it since because I haven't had to. Weeks ago is practically geological time scale when it comes to that kind of failure, and the defrost was hotter than the water and more recent anyways.

Again, some reading comprehension would do you well when telling me why I'm wrong.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Defrost isn't a sudden and violent temperature change. It had probably chipped or cracked in a way or place you couldn't see, and then a few weeks later it cracked to the point where it's at now.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 24, 2019

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

How would turning the defroster on right away crack a windshield? It'll just be blowing cold air until the car warms up anyway.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 24, 2019

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Extra posted:

It's pretty commonly known that the defroster can easily crack windshields if you turn it on quickly. From what I've read it's recommended to let the car warm up for 5 minutes or so with the heater on, then turn on the defroster.

Kastein isn't a dumbass.

I never said anyone was a dumbass. I don't know why everyone's being hostile and defensive. Temperature changes are not good for glass, end of story. poo poo happens to cars, end of story part 2.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've got no problem with what you said Tha Chodesweller, and I've actually had a defroster break a windshield pretty much the second it was turned on in the past, which sucked. No signs of damage to the windshield before it happened, either.

I just don't like being called out and told I'm wrong by two people in a row who clearly either didn't understand or misread what I said, when what I know about thermal stress, crack propagation, and stress risers tells me it's basically impossible that either of the thermal stresses I applied were at fault for the break.

I mean, Geirskogul is an optician, so I trust his input on glass and its issues more than most, but... you can't blame a windshield cracking on a stress that was applied weeks before, when more recent, higher stresses also didn't immediately cause a failure.

Mostly I'm just pissed off that I have to spend $180 on a new windshield installation for no good reason :argh: I'd do it myself but it's going to cost me $250+ in tools (not pulling a windshield with piano wire ever again, thanks) and materials unless I use a $30 junkyard windshield, which, while something I've successfully done in the past, isn't something I want to do on this vehicle, since I drive it 140 miles a day now and most of that is directly into the rising/setting sun during the spring and fall. A non-pitted windshield installed by someone else is worth $180 to me, just pisses me off.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 7, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've replaced a bonded-in windscreen. Once. I will never do it myself again if I can pay someone to do it for me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Replacing it was cake. 3M urethane ultra quick curing windshield adhesive, a caulking gun, utility knife, 3M urethane single stage primer, some shims and suction cups, no big deal.

Getting the donor windshield out at the junkyard without breaking it sucked, but not too bad because I didn't give a drat if I dragged piano wire across the paint.

Getting the old windshield out loving SUCKED. Glass everywhere and I ended up picking what was left of it out of the frame with pliers and a screwdriver/hammer before using a utility knife to slice off the hosed up top surface to get to something I could bond securely to.

This tool (thanks CSB) would make that cake, but between the 240 bucks in materials and shipping (windshield and gasket from rockauto, urethane from amazon) and the price of that tool, I might as well just pay someone else to do it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Windshield replacement is one of those things that it really is better to just pay a pro. Same with mounting/balancing tires.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Getting the old windshield out loving SUCKED. Glass everywhere and I ended up picking what was left of it out of the frame with pliers and a screwdriver/hammer before using a utility knife to slice off the hosed up top surface to get to something I could bond securely to.
Yep, that's the one. From now on it's "Here's a car, I'm off to the pub."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

revmoo posted:

Windshield replacement is one of those things that it really is better to just pay a pro. Same with mounting/balancing tires.

Yep.

I did my own windshield last time because I was incredibly broke, had already bought all the materials, and needed an inspection sticker in the worst way. And my glass insurance wouldn't cover it till I had a valid sticker... and the windshield was broken, precluding a sticker.

This time around I have actual income so it was either a new one done myself with the right tools or a new one done by someone else. One of these costs $250+ and involves me getting pissed off and loving around with broken glass and a utility knife, the other involves sitting back and watching someone else deal with it for $180. I'll go to great lengths to do all my work myself, but I'm not stupid, this is an easy decision :v:

I mounted a tire with tire irons once just so I'd know how to do it if I ever needed to far from civilization, but I'd rather pay someone with a machine to do it from now on. Not difficult, but why gently caress around with it?

Balancing tires is easy if you have a machine or a friend with a machine, and I'm apparently better at it than walmart's finest tire flunkeys. I'll probably do that myself in the future.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

revmoo posted:

Truth, although last time I had it done it was during the fall and I called one of those "we come to you" places. Windshield was fine, but the 5 cubic feet of leaves that somehow got stuffed into my blower motor and vents wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Classic Motorsports just published a tech tip saying that the best way to cut windshield goop and pop a windshield free was to use an E-string from a guitar.