Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Walking to the register with a six of Barney Flats in my hand, I noticed a familiar case behind the counter.

Abandoned the AVBC for some Hopslam--didn't get any last year, and I feel like this year is better than the last ones I had in 2012 that were pretty astringent.

Serendipity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

danbanana posted:

That's... odd. Is the case availability open to the public? The tweet said the 1pm-4pm sales are for attendees of Huna Day. It seems weird to limit the people that are actually attending to 3 but let others get 12...

The event goes till 5, no? If that's the case, the limit guarantees you 3 bottles and you can probably buy them whenever you're there and go home when you're done sampling/drinking/throwing up.

If this is right, I bet if there are any bottles left after 5pm, it'll be open to the public/tasting room.

edit: corrected the time it ends.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 6, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

atothesquiz posted:

The event goes till 5, no? If that's the case, the limit guarantees you 3 bottles and you can probably buy them whenever you're there and go home when you're done sampling/drinking/throwing up.

If this is right, I bet if there are any bottles left after 5pm, it'll be open to the public/tasting room.

edit: corrected the time it ends.

Okay. I can see how that's the case. The actual tweet:

quote:

#hunahpusday we are setting a 3 bottle limit of Hunahpu's from 11am-4pm for all attendees. 4pm we open it up to 12 bottle limit, first come.

I don't think it's entirely clear that at 4pm, it's still attendees only but that definitely makes more sense.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Add me to the list as another who has yet to win an Upland lottery.

Zam fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 6, 2014

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Just got my growler filled with Atwater's Vanilla Java Porter.

:swoon:

LeeMajors posted:

Walking to the register with a six of Barney Flats in my hand, I noticed a familiar case behind the counter.

Abandoned the AVBC for some Hopslam--didn't get any last year, and I feel like this year is better than the last ones I had in 2012 that were pretty astringent.

Serendipity!

There was a big controversy here in Columbus over Hopslam. Allegedly, the place I go to get my growler filled received 20 cases from the distributor. So they had 80 six-packs for sale. One of their employees was caught on Facebook buying nearly 100 six-packs from the Giant Eagle less than two miles away. Suddenly, the growler place has 40 more six-packs that they "discovered in another shipment". Big thing on Facebook, which finally died down today, but the Ohio liquor board is going to investigate.

Anyway, I walk in today to get my growler filled, and I'm walking around the store when what do I see? THE LAST SIX-PACK OF HOPSLAM IN THE COOLER! Reach in, grab it, see the pricetag. $17.99

Put it right back. Like gently caress am I paying $3 a bottle outside of a bar.

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 6, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Trips posted:

Anyway, I walk in today to get my growler filled, and I'm walking around the store when what do I see? THE LAST SIX-PACK OF HOPSLAM IN THE COOLER! Reach in, grab it, see the pricetag. $17.99

Put it right back. Like gently caress am I paying $3 a bottle outside of a bar.

Hate to break it to you but retail on that is $17. So while that place did mark up a little, it wasn't exactly gouging because that stuff is around $3 a bottle...

RE: Upland... Apparently there were a ton of mistakes on who won what. But I'm assuming no email still means no bottles...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Apparently something is completely hosed with the Upland lottery emails. They're reportedly working on fixing them now, but apparently some of the quantities won are not showing up correctly. You can email and ask for a clarification, but there is also a possibility that they will email you later if you prefer to wait.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

Hate to break it to you but retail on that is $17. So while that place did mark up a little, it wasn't exactly gouging because that stuff is around $3 a bottle...

hate to break it to you, but that's a great price for some places

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

hate to break it to you, but that's a great price for some places

I totally agree. I opted not to pay $20 at a shop and luckily found it the next day for retail.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

danbanana posted:

Yeah, I get that, but no beer is worth $17 for a six-pack. Especially on my budget where buying a bag of chips to go with my beer is a luxury purchase.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Captain Trips posted:

Yeah, I get that, but no beer is worth $17 for a six-pack.

False. Less than 3$ a beer for one of the best beers in existence isn't crazy.

I wouldn't pay for it regularly, but once or twice a year is pretty reasonable.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

LeeMajors posted:

False. Less than 3$ a beer for one of the best beers in existence isn't crazy.

That is true but what does it have to do with Hopslam?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody else been checking the Hunahpu Day taplist daily? There's no way I'm going to get a chance to try everything I want to:

http://tinyurl.com/hdaytaplist

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

LeafHouse posted:

That is true but what does it have to do with Hopslam?

Contrarianism is a sickness.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
why did i post something regarding Hopslam?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

LeeMajors posted:

Contrarianism is a sickness.

Are you offended that my list of "best beers in the world" is more stringent than yours?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

funkybottoms posted:

why did i post something regarding Hopslam?

I've been here awhile. I should have known better also.

E: On second thought, I'm not going to poo poo it up anymore. Redacted.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 7, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hopslam is overrated, chasing trucks for an IPA is dumb, and it's fine that ABInBev bought whoever they bought

[/opinions]

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Me in Reverse posted:

chasing trucks for any beer is dumb

Fixed.

Hopslam is a really good IPA that no one should be chasing down really really hard.

But I feel like that about every beer honestly. Maybe I'm a bad beer geek.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
Also no complaining about an $18 6er when people drop $10+ on bombers of inferior beer ALL THE TIME.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The only thing I buy in bombers is Double Bastard, and those are worth the $8 I usually pay.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Captain Trips posted:

The only thing I buy in bombers is Double Bastard, and those are worth the $8 I usually pay.

What's it like to not drink a whole ton of great stuff?

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

Me in Reverse posted:

What's it like to not drink a whole ton of great stuff?

If I had the disposable income to be a crazy-diverse drinker, I would. The only types of beer I don't like are lambics (for the obvious reason) and milk stouts (just too sweet for my taste), but I'm really limited by my budget when it comes to trying new things. I can't afford to drop $15 on something I might take one sip of and hate.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fair enough.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
How much of a poo poo show is this going to be?

http://alchemistbeer.com/blog/

quote:

Can Release!

Posted on 2/6/14
Greetings Alchemist faithful!

It is time to announce our first can release outside of the brewery! As we mentioned in our last blog, we are releasing a couple of beers in cans during a one day sale. First and foremost, we want to make this as smooth as possible for everyone. We will begin selling beer at 11 am. We will be canning 15 barrels of both Focal Banger and Petit Mutant, but an exact yield will not be known until next Thursday. When we can it next week, we will release a more accurate number. The location we have selected has a sufficient amount of parking, and room for lines to form. There is a single port-o-let on site. It will most likely be cold, and this is an outdoor sale, so please dress accordingly. Once the sale begins, we will do our very best to move things along as quickly as possible. If all goes well in this spot, we hope to have more of these pop-up sales in the very near future.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Jerome Louis posted:

How much of a poo poo show is this going to be?

http://alchemistbeer.com/blog/

A 15 barrel batch translates to about 155 cases of 16oz cans if my math is right. Still not going to be enough.

Class got cancelled tonight, so what else to do but drink a brandy barrel Old Stock? This is really boozy, sticky and sweet, like a glass of English toffee. Quite good, but something I'm going to (happily) drink very slowly.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Has anybody else been checking the Hunahpu Day taplist daily? There's no way I'm going to get a chance to try everything I want to:

I hosed up by not buying a ticket :negative:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I have off next week. I'm legitimately debating driving to Vermont.

What have I become?

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Tell me about it. Kinda disappointed there are no FFF on the list yet. I was hoping to finally get a chance to try BVDL. Whales bro.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Me in Reverse posted:

I have off next week. I'm legitimately debating driving to Vermont.

What have I become?

My mule.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ExtremistCow posted:

Tell me about it. Kinda disappointed there are no FFF on the list yet. I was hoping to finally get a chance to try BVDL. Whales bro.

Don't feel too bad. It's good, but not even remotely worth what it trades for.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

12 degrees? Heavy snow outside? Time for an ipa. That's the Oregon way

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
It's never not time for an IPA.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Good joke.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Turns out I read my email wrong, only won strawberry. Bah.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ExtremistCow posted:

Last year the keg was done in 2 minutes or so. Your best bet is to go to DLD and actually win the chance to get a bottle.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Last year the keg was done in 2 minutes or so. Your best bet is to go to DLD and actually win the chance to get a bottle.

Or just go to the Firestone Walker Invitational where it remained open well past the rush. I swung by a couple hours after opening and didn't have to suffer in a line.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

Or just go to the Firestone Walker Invitational where it remained open well past the rush. I swung by a couple hours after opening and didn't have to suffer in a line.

They must give Firestone multiple kegs or something.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

Furious Lobster posted:

Speaking of Firestone Walker Invitational, tickets go on sale at midnight if you didn't get them early. If anyone is on the fence, definitely worth the cost and it is a great experience. Looking forward to the third year already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I really enjoy Guiness and Young's Double chocolate stout. Would you guys recommend other relatively easy to find stouts along those lines?