Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You're not going to ruin what you've already done, it's not like you're taking scissors to it. If you're worried about the next part, just put in a lifeline where you are now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironveins
Nov 24, 2007
They like you better framed and dried.

Anne Whateley posted:

You're not going to ruin what you've already done, it's not like you're taking scissors to it. If you're worried about the next part, just put in a lifeline where you are now.

Seconding lifelines. They've saved me on may occasions when I would have gone mad, especially when working with tiny, tiny needles.

Bossy Bear
Apr 16, 2012

Apple Tree posted:

If you're into Harry-Potter-themed knitting, you might like these charm bracelets; they're called 'Care of Magical Creatures' bracelets... :)

Do we know each other, hehe? It's one of my favorite Harry Potter accessories that I've made! :hfive:

The first one is the only one I've finished completely. I've started the second one and I just bought the pattern for the third. :dance:

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I made a woobie kitty for my soon-to-be-born daughter. Embroidery is not a strength, but I'm pretty sure a newborn won't mind it's lopsided imperfections.

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

jota23 posted:

I made a woobie kitty for my soon-to-be-born daughter. Embroidery is not a strength, but I'm pretty sure a newborn won't mind it's lopsided imperfections.

That's adorable. :3: And don't worry, I always tell myself the imperfections give it character and make it one of a kind.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

jota23 posted:

So cute, and congratulations :).

Do silk and/or bamboo stretch much when they're blocked? I haven't worked with them before, but I'm guessing they'll act more like cotton and stretch very little.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Aergo posted:

Does anyone here knit socks on those tiny 9" circular needles? I received one in the mail instead of some dpns I ordered and I'm wondering if they're worth trying out.

This and the following comments made me curious about the 9" circulars because I'm not in love with dpns and I can't get my brain to work magic loop yet. So last Friday I went out after work to my LYS and grabbed a HiyaHiya Steel in the same size as a sock I'm currently working on dpn. Boy do I prefer the circular over the dpns. Thanks to the goons who perked my curiosity!:dance: Now I get to start collecting these tiny things... :argh:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

left_unattended posted:

So cute, and congratulations :).

Do silk and/or bamboo stretch much when they're blocked? I haven't worked with them before, but I'm guessing they'll act more like cotton and stretch very little.

You might want to check ravelry comments for your particular yarn. Most of the bamboo/silk I've used hasn't grown, but I've heard stories of yarns that have nearly doubled in length once they hit water. (Or knit/wash/block a swatch)

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
jota23 that woobie kitty is awesome! I've been trying to think what to make for my sister in laws little one to come and this seems perfect! Thanks for the inspiration :-D

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."

Lady Xava posted:

jota23 that woobie kitty is awesome! I've been trying to think what to make for my sister in laws little one to come and this seems perfect! Thanks for the inspiration :-D

I'm glad to be of service! The creator made a bunch of different animals, so if your in-laws aren't cat people, you do have other options!

Series 1:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/woobie-pattern-collection---series-1/patterns

Series 2:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/woobie-pattern-collection---series-2/patterns

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Amykinz posted:

(Or knit/wash/block a swatch)

AKA what I should have done before I even started knitting :downs:. Thanks though, I'd assumed I wouldn't find them on Rav but that place is always more awesome than I think.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Mad Hamish posted:

Just chiming in to say that the needles arrived today and they made it safe and sound! Thank you very much! Were the stitch markers a gift from Knitpicks or you?

The Caspian needles are super pretty and they feel smoother than the bamboo needles I usually use, but I've never worked something on a circular needle before and now I need to find something to knit on it.

Also, I finally finished the heel flap of the cuff-down sock I'm working on and I have started turning the heel. I'm only two rows in so far and it's going OK but oh god what if I ruin the months of work spend knitting the leg of this sock with superfine yarn on size 1 needles like an idiot? :ohdear:

Yay!! The stitch markers are from me :) I have so many and thought I'd pass some along.

Heel turns are strange at first but after you get a few rows in, it will start to look like it makes sense :)

e: I ordered some 9" HiyaHiya circulars as well! I lost my superfine crochet hook and figured I NEEDED more HiyaHiya needles.... I got it in size 0 as the KnitPicks wood ones are pretty bendy in that size and I've been afraid to start some socks on them.

e2: My recent completed project and the current work in progress (featherweight cardigan from Knitbot Essentials):

jomiel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 31, 2014

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

jomiel posted:

Yay!! The stitch markers are from me :) I have so many and thought I'd pass some along.

Heel turns are strange at first but after you get a few rows in, it will start to look like it makes sense :)

e: I ordered some 9" HiyaHiya circulars as well! I lost my superfine crochet hook and figured I NEEDED more HiyaHiya needles.... I got it in size 0 as the KnitPicks wood ones are pretty bendy in that size and I've been afraid to start some socks on them.

e2: My recent completed project and the current work in progress (featherweight cardigan from Knitbot Essentials):

Wow, that cardigan looks like quite the project! What's that knit on, size 2 or 3 needles?

I once knit a sweater with that stitches that small, it took forever. And it's too tight around my wrist. :(

Looks really good so far (and the socks are great). Show us pics when it's done!

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Bossy Bear posted:

Do we know each other, hehe? It's one of my favorite Harry Potter accessories that I've made! :hfive:

The first one is the only one I've finished completely. I've started the second one and I just bought the pattern for the third. :dance:

Ooh, nice work! I love the owl, it's so cute and perfectly neat. I haven't actually made the bracelets myself - I don't want a Harry Potter bracelet, I just like the animals and nature themes on each, so I'd probably have to buy all three patterns for one bracelet and I'm waiting for a day when I feel either rich or depressed enough to splash out like that. Yours looks lovely, though! :hfive:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wow, that cardigan looks like quite the project! What's that knit on, size 2 or 3 needles?

I once knit a sweater with that stitches that small, it took forever. And it's too tight around my wrist. :(

Looks really good so far (and the socks are great). Show us pics when it's done!

Thanks :D It's on size 6 needles but yeah a lot of knitting.

My next project is a linen stitch scarf with fingering yarn as well, why do I hate myself :suicide:
At least it's with rainbow-colored yarn...!

Anyone doing the Ravelry Olympics?

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

jomiel posted:

The ravellenics (cuz the olympics fucks are sue happy) is always loads of fun. I ended up doing two of my planned projects already...as if I don't have enough on needles around here, aka possible WIP dancing qualifiers. Still have a few things planned, a purse in super bulky if I can locate where I put that pattern book, a pair of felted slippers -- kinda cheating cuz I already have to do it, it's a guild project!, and hopefully some spinning, dyeing and knitting it up for a triple. I have 5 pounds of merino top arriving tomorrow. Not doing ALL of that mind you.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

jomiel posted:

Thanks :D It's on size 6 needles but yeah a lot of knitting.

My next project is a linen stitch scarf with fingering yarn as well, why do I hate myself :suicide:
At least it's with rainbow-colored yarn...!

Once you go down the fingering yarn on small needles road, you can never go back--with just a little more knitting you can add SO much more detail, and you start wanting to do more fingering weight projects, and you keep doing them until you end up like me and make things like following monstrosity (which I think I may have posted in the thread way back):

...and the left sleeve is too tight. :suicide:

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
So I went and wrote my own pattern for a cabled scarf that's reversible, cause I really didn't wanna have an ugly wrong side to a lovely scarf.

Check it out on my Ravelry! What do you guys think? Does it look neato? I'm pretty proud of how it turned out!

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
I love it! Wrong side uglies are always what keep me from doing a cabled scarf.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Cabling is what keeps me from doing a cabled scarf, but that one does look pretty nice.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

CureMinorWounds posted:

So I went and wrote my own pattern for a cabled scarf that's reversible, cause I really didn't wanna have an ugly wrong side to a lovely scarf.

Check it out on my Ravelry! What do you guys think? Does it look neato? I'm pretty proud of how it turned out!

That is really, really impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a cabled project that looks so nice on the wrong side, and I'm really curious as to how you got it to work.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

CureMinorWounds posted:

Witchcraft! :catstare:

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

CureMinorWounds posted:

Added it to my favorites on Ravelry- I love cables so I'll eventually get around to making it plus the reversible thing is really freaking awesome!

Lady Xava
Dec 1, 2006
Finally finished another project! Tiny Computer from the Teeny-Tiny Mochimochi pattern book. Knitting in the round at this size was a bit frustrating at points haha. It ended up a bit lumpy but for a first try I'm happy.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Does anyone else her do Yarn of the Month club? My dad got it for me for my birthday and while I enjoy getting the yarn and patterns she always seems to pick out yarn that is hugely expensive, hard to find, and is small (last two or three months was meant to be worked on size 3 or smaller needles). Anyone do yarn box or have recommendations on how to track down some of the more esoteric yarns she adds?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
From the site, it looks like you can choose the weight from at least a couple of options. If your dad signed up for you, he might have just chosen fingering weight (which is probably the most popular). E-mail and see if she can switch your subscription to a heavier option? It probably is all going to be nice LYS yarn, though.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Anne Whateley posted:

From the site, it looks like you can choose the weight from at least a couple of options. If your dad signed up for you, he might have just chosen fingering weight (which is probably the most popular). E-mail and see if she can switch your subscription to a heavier option? It probably is all going to be nice LYS yarn, though.

Yarn Box definitely does that, but Yarn Of the Month (http://www.yarnofthemonth.com/) doesn't? I guess I'm being whiny because some months she'll throw in a larger yarn, and it looks like this month I'll be getting something more up my alley. Honestly, even though I am complaining, the fingering weight yarns haven't been bad. I just end up bummed they're 15 pounds per skein or just from some small etsy shop.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Great, I passed the temptation to order Birchbox because I pretty much have enough makeup to last my lifetime, and now I have to have yarn subscriptions....
:argh: :10bux:

edit for a question:

How do I edit patterns if I’d like to change the gauge?

For example, I have a pattern for socks at 8 stitches to the inch and I’d like to make socks at 10-12 stitches to the inch to make the socks more durable. I should knit a swatch in the round, measure the stitch and row gauge, and based on those and my desired sock size, figure out how many stitches I need to cast on. I then look at the pattern for 8 stitches/inch socks, pick one of the larger sizes that has the same number of cast on stitches, and then do the heel flap, short row heel, gusset, etc. based on that larger size? Is that right?

jomiel fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 5, 2014

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

jomiel posted:

Great, I passed the temptation to order Birchbox because I pretty much have enough makeup to last my lifetime, and now I have to have yarn subscriptions....

edit for a question:

For example, I have a pattern for socks at 8 stitches to the inch and I’d like to make socks at 10-12 stitches to the inch to make the socks more durable. I should knit a swatch in the round, measure the stitch and row gauge, and based on those and my desired sock size, figure out how many stitches I need to cast on. I then look at the pattern for 8 stitches/inch socks, pick one of the larger sizes that has the same number of cast on stitches, and then do the heel flap, short row heel, gusset, etc. based on that larger size? Is that right?

From my understanding, basically you need to figure out what your gauge is (sts per inch) using whatever yarn and needles you are using. So let's say you are using worsted weight yarn and size 8 needles. You find that from your swatch your gauge is 8 rows per inch, 6 sts per inch. You then have to go back to the pattern, look at their gauge and modify it. If the swatch they call for should have 16 rows per inch and 12 sts per inch, then you know your 16 rows in pattern would actually be 2 inches, etc. So basically you'd need to recalculate most of the directions in the pattern. I've never done this (but have attempted it) and its probably just easier to find a pattern that uses the weight yarn you want to use.

Don't quote me on this- this was just what I learned the first time I fought with gauge.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

jomiel posted:

edit for a question:

I usually fix my gauge by using the next needle size up or down, but now I am super lazy and just calculate what I have to do using Knittrick. I don't know if it is available for Android, but I have it on my iPhone and it calculates everything for you. It can tell you what the difference in size will be if you use X gauge and the pattern calls for Y gauge. Right now I'm using it on three (!) sweaters and figuring out what size I should knit. It's pretty helpful.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

jomiel posted:

edit for a question:

Keep in mind for socks durability is more about the yarn than the gauge, though gauge of course plays a role. In a good nylon blend, high twist wool 8 st/in should be plenty durable.

The heel flap kinda takes care of itself by virtue of more stitches, as it's usually done off half the stitches. Though if you're doing a short row heel, I've heard good things about the Sweet Tomato Heel by Cat Bordhi. Regular short row heels can be too small for most people. I usually do a heel flap and have to go a bit longer than many to make it fit my instep, and I don't have particularly high arches.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

ackapoo posted:

I usually fix my gauge by using the next needle size up or down, but now I am super lazy and just calculate what I have to do using Knittrick. I don't know if it is available for Android, but I have it on my iPhone and it calculates everything for you. It can tell you what the difference in size will be if you use X gauge and the pattern calls for Y gauge. Right now I'm using it on three (!) sweaters and figuring out what size I should knit. It's pretty helpful.

I'm definitely going to look this app up- I knit with a deathgrip so getting gauge correct even for small pieces can be a bear.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So I finally finished turning the heel on the taking-forever sock:

And now on to the gusset! The short rows weren't nearly as complicated as I thought they would be - it's just that the book I'm using didn't explain them too well, I think.

I could have finished this a while ago, but a co-worker is having a bay and as such tiny baby-sized gifts were in order:

Knitting baby things is immensely satisfying. Everything knits up so quickly!

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
I could have finished this a while ago, but a co-worker is having a bay and as such tiny baby-sized gifts were in order:

Knitting baby things is immensely satisfying. Everything knits up so quickly!
[/quote]

I LOVE knitting baby things purely for the fast completion of full garments and sets. Baby stuff has always been my go-to knitting, regardless of never really having had babies to give it to. My new favourite is top down baby cardigans knit seamless all the way. Only ends to weave in. Yay!

The sad thing is, now that I'm knocked up I'm too exhausted to knit. (I also have M.E. and when I'm fatigued my arms go dead weight and floppy.) I just want to dress my baby in knitted woolens, dammit!

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
I couldn't knit or spin for the first 5 months of my pregnancy. I was too tired and the motion of knitting itself made me nauseous. I started going pretty nuts on knitting baby things about two or three months ago (I'm due in 10 days), and now have three sweaters, three hats, a pair of socks, and a woobie.

Even if you can't knit until after the baby is born, baby things knit up so quickly, your baby can still be wrapped in spontaneous knits as they grow up.

All is not yet lost!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

Mad Hamish posted:

I could have finished this a while ago, but a co-worker is having a bay

Is that painful?

jota23 posted:

and a woobie.

Had to Google that one.

4th-ing the love for baby stuff. I'm planning for my best friend's future kids - these children are going to drown in knits.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Baby projects are the best for learning new techniques, too. Before I did a bottom-up sweater for the first time, I knit a few and donated them to fundraisers. Now my cousin just had a baby boy 2 weeks ago so I'm queueing up things like mad :) Just wove in the ends to his 5 stitch blankie in white with rainbow dots so I call that on time.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

I think he likes his new headrest.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Better a headrest than lunch! That is so :3::3::3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
My cardigan is done :D
ravelry page

It's the Featherweight Cardigan from Knitbot, done in fingering weight KnitPicks sock yarn with my new HiyaHiya size 6 needles (they are so great!). Took me a month though I only have 1-2 hours knitting time per day.