Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mizuti posted:

I'm fully aware that quest map markers do not exist in Morrowind. I was thinking of features like extra sorting categories by faction or location, or giving some quests enhanced directions. (Some quests place the bulk of directions on NPC dialog and not the journal.) I doubt either exists, but I thought I might as well ask.

In the journals quest directory, most factions quest names are organized something like "House Telvanni: Feed the Cliffracers". Also, the journal actually keeps a record of all NPC dialog. Look up the dialog topic that prompted whatever the NPC said. It's admittedly a little clunky, especially later on when you have encountered shittons of dialog topics.

Still, as long as you pay attention to what quest givers say, directions and instructions are just about always correct. Sometimes directions or instructions can be a bit vague and lead to confusion, but I've found those to be rather rare. Don't feel guilty about consulting the UESP if you get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, I've played Morrowind practically once or twice a year since it came out and I still have to consult UESP sometimes to find places. So don't be afraid to look things up.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
Personally, I always valued cliffracers and a chitin side-arm as a valuable source of melee skill gains.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Morrowind comes alive is pretty sweet and does exactly what I want, though it seems to favour non Dunmer races too much considering where the game's set.

Okay, so another question I got: I could've sworn (either when setting up or looking through options) that with the MGSO I saw the ability to put grass on the Tamriel Rebuilt mainland but hosed if I can find it now. If this actually exists, can anyone say which options menu I should be looking at?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So according to the Tamriel Rebuilt guys, we should see the next expansion later this year.

I'm curious how good they are at meeting deadlines like that? And how much it'd matter. To be honest, the only two Tamriel Rebuilt things I care about are more Telvanni ( because let's be real here, the Telvanni are the best ), and the outer city around Mournhold. It sounds like the next expansion will add the city around Mournhold, so I'm kind of thinking about waiting for that launch, especially since I've got so many other games to play right now. Do these things normally launch with quests alongside them, or are they kind of barren and filled in as they go? Would they even be able to make it so you could theoretically "walk" to Mournhold?

Hell, how is the current content added as a whole? Do they do a good job of adding in Morrowind flavor, or does it feel like a halfassed addition mod with bad VA?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Rookersh posted:

So according to the Tamriel Rebuilt guys, we should see the next expansion later this year.

I'm curious how good they are at meeting deadlines like that? And how much it'd matter. To be honest, the only two Tamriel Rebuilt things I care about are more Telvanni ( because let's be real here, the Telvanni are the best ), and the outer city around Mournhold. It sounds like the next expansion will add the city around Mournhold, so I'm kind of thinking about waiting for that launch, especially since I've got so many other games to play right now. Do these things normally launch with quests alongside them, or are they kind of barren and filled in as they go? Would they even be able to make it so you could theoretically "walk" to Mournhold?

Hell, how is the current content added as a whole? Do they do a good job of adding in Morrowind flavor, or does it feel like a halfassed addition mod with bad VA?

Tamriel Rebuilt is, quite possibly, better looking than vanilla Morrowind. This isn't a slight against vanilla, it's 13 years old (my god) and TR has obviously in some cases been built to take advantage of distant land viewing (there's a watchtower outside of Necrom that gives a stunning view of the city), as well as throw more and more objects on screen because computers can handle it. Pretty much, TR looks very good.

It is very much in line with Morrowind flavor, and they don't have any VAs since Morrowind in general has no VAs (thus no bad VAs).

As for quests, it depends- the last few releases have had quests, but the first few of new regions had none. The Telvanni questline is still incomplete, for the record, so you can't yet reach Archmagister of the mainland.

As for deadlines... just keep in mind we're 13 years post-release and TR's less than a third done with the province.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The current TR stuff is more or less indistinguishable from vanilla Morrowind, with the exception that it isn't actually vanilla morrowind stuff.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Bad at meeting deadlines, Mournhold was supposed to be an alpha release in August 2013. Currently being NPC'd and quested, which is the most arduous and long parts. But its the part you definitely want to take your time on. You can't undo first impressions of the largest city that's ever been hand-created in any TES game. This should launch with quests, previously they would launch with landmass only and get filled later. Then they realized it doesn't make sense other than being pretty good eyecandy. With that release you could walk to mournhold. What the final decision is on getting into the gates I can't remember. Supposedly the consensus was the whole "plague" excuse of not leaving the city was poo poo and they'll un-retcon it so you can come and go as you please. And if not, I'll do it for them.

The flavor is as good as, if not better than OG morrowind in the latest release. The first map and a half (telvannis/andilluvian secrets) were made just so they could release SOMETHING a few years back. Once the map comes full circle they'll be redoing the first two maps to this higher quality.

Also: Project Cyrodiil should be releasing something shortly, and Skyrim: Home of the Nords has a weird alpha release with a few cells of towns/wilderness out there. I'm not sure why, but both sideprojects decided to start their mapping at the far west end, as far away from Morrowind as you can get. So for the maps to be able to walked to they basically have to finish. Supposedly that has to do with the TR exteriors guys being flakey on borders, but I haven't seen that. There's also two guys stupid enough to say they're mapping Black Marsh, but if that comes out with a complete map, or even a half finished map in the next decade I'll be impressed.

source: I worked on the team, did some quests, and handfixed thousands of dialogue errors for the latest release. pro tip: don't let bad english speakers write dialogue. It....tends...to turn out-- LIKE THIS

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
That's definitely my biggest appreciation for TR, is that it doesn't trip over itself to one-up the vanilla worldspace. To the uninitiated, it's pretty easy to think that a lot of TR places are vanilla content (although you can tell, sometimes). Everything looks great, but there's a general simplicity to the designs that mirrors the original cities.

For some reason, it really bugs me when custom cities and landmasses stick out too much, even if it's because they look really good (when compared to the base game).

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So basically if I wait, I'll be waiting a long time.

Does Tamriel Rebuilt update nicely I guess? If I install the next release on top of Sacred East, will it all work nicely, or will I have to do a complete fresh install. Might as well start now and just check out Mournhold when it finally releases a year from now.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So basically if I wait, I'll be waiting a long time.

Does Tamriel Rebuilt update nicely I guess? If I install the next release on top of Sacred East, will it all work nicely, or will I have to do a complete fresh install. Might as well start now and just check out Mournhold when it finally releases a year from now.

Yeah, just install and play TR. It has an enormous amount of content as it is and it's all really good. Chances are you'll get bored of Morrowind entirely before you really experience it all.

When it comes to updates, each installation of TR has basically the whole thing, so you'll probably be able to just install the next version and it'll overwrite what it needs to.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For some reason, it really bugs me when custom cities and landmasses stick out too much, even if it's because they look really good (when compared to the base game).

Even if it's Baan Malur (blacklight)?

Ash swamp south of Baan, it stretches for a long while and has tons of ruins and tiny shacks.

Unnamed island port north of Seyda Neen. TR is doing more outdoor/indoor hybrid spaces as seen on the left, which should be cool.

Pine trees that will absolutely murder FPS if not used in OpenMW. It renders every single unoptimized branch.

An island citadel in a lake near the Skyrim border.

Baan Malur itself, lots of stuff on the ground isn't shown as this is as far as my view distance will render without crashing. (OpenMW already can render all this I'm pretty sure).

Taking pic requests if anyone wants to see random TR content

mbt fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 2, 2014

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Holy crap, that looks good. Once I finish my backlog...

Does new version of TR easily install over new old ones? Like, if you get some areas without quests, can you just install an update once they're implemented or do you have to uninstall TR, reinstall and regenerate distant land for every update?

Mortimer posted:

Taking pic requests if anyone wants to see random TR content

Well, for starters, what's that tower in the distance that looks sort of like the Eiffel Tower? What's you favorite area in TR that you've found?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it safe to install both Morrowind Rebirth and Darknut's Dwemer Ruins?
Also I can't access the Data Files option in the laucher without crashing after installing Morrowind Rebirth.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 2, 2014

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Probably a stern omen to just avoid using the launcher data files window in general.

I can't really imagine what would cause Morrowind Rebirth to do that to the .exe though. Rebirth is just basically a ton of overhauls/content packs/textures/etc? All should be contained in the data folder?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I don't know why Rebirth would do that, I'm running it too. IIRC the guy who made Rebirth hasn't touched much of red mountain, so you're probably safe.

http://imgur.com/a/LlCAP
16 more TR pictures with some explanations of what they are.

That Eiffel tower structure is just a guardpost near the ash swamp, I thought it was Silgrad Tower from far away, but they're making a custom tower mesh for that.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mortimer posted:

I don't know why Rebirth would do that, I'm running it too. IIRC the guy who made Rebirth hasn't touched much of red mountain, so you're probably safe.

http://imgur.com/a/LlCAP
16 more TR pictures with some explanations of what they are.

That Eiffel tower structure is just a guardpost near the ash swamp, I thought it was Silgrad Tower from far away, but they're making a custom tower mesh for that.

Cool, thanks. I love what they did with Almalexia, putting the original central city on top of a mount like that.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Anyone know of any high quality head (and maybe body) replacers for Argonians that preferably stay true to the vanilla textures (though it's cool if they don't).

ALSO is there any way of reverting back to Dagoth Ur's original voice after installing the Morrowind graphics & sound overhaul? I enjoyed how friendly and reasonable almost reasonable he sounded. Really hate the new demony voice or w/e it is.

Docetic Mountain fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 5, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Decided to tackle Morrowind again the other day and after a bunch of false starts and restarts and reinstalls I have gotten the game where I want it. Now begins the actual part where I play it. I have tried to play Morrowind before and never got all that far into it. Always ended up getting sidetracked by something or other. I am committed to see it through to the end this time. A lot of my restarts have to do with not liking a mod I chose or a build for my character I tried out. I am hopefully at the end of that road.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wait, is Tamriel Rebuilt releasing the west mainland, now? Or are those screenshots just from an internal alpha?

I've been waiting till they release Almalexia before playing it. I meant to replay Tribunal anyway since I've only played it once, might as well just walk to the city instead of teleporting there.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I tried tweaking a setting and it ended up pretty much nuking my entire install. Hours later I swear this will be the run. I just can never leave well enough alone.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Elman posted:

Wait, is Tamriel Rebuilt releasing the west mainland, now? Or are those screenshots just from an internal alpha?

I've been waiting till they release Almalexia before playing it. I meant to replay Tribunal anyway since I've only played it once, might as well just walk to the city instead of teleporting there.

No, TR recently released an 'external alpha' just to get people interested again, but Almalexia is the next official release and allegedly is due before the end of the year (an upgrade for Sacred East is due sooner than that).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

No, TR recently released an 'external alpha' just to get people interested again, but Almalexia is the next official release and allegedly is due before the end of the year (an upgrade for Sacred East is due sooner than that).

Yeah except we've heard "by the end of the year" for the past decade. Almalexia has been built and rebuilt 3-4 times now to the level of detail you see now. Getting a dozen modders/writers to create a believable, interesting (it has to be both) city in a cohesive fashion is drat near impossible. Just like the exteriors for Almalexia it's going to be one person doing 99% of the work saying "gently caress everyone else". It turns out well, but takes forever.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Mortimer posted:

Yeah except we've heard "by the end of the year" for the past decade. Almalexia has been built and rebuilt 3-4 times now to the level of detail you see now. Getting a dozen modders/writers to create a believable, interesting (it has to be both) city in a cohesive fashion is drat near impossible. Just like the exteriors for Almalexia it's going to be one person doing 99% of the work saying "gently caress everyone else". It turns out well, but takes forever.

I guess it's no surprise that it's taken them 10+ years to finish 3/8ths of it, then. Those screencaps do look amazing. I've had a few thoughts about joining the TR team and helping out with level design or 3d modeling, and I might just do that once I get some RL things in order.

Edit:

Docetic Mountain posted:

ALSO is there any way of reverting back to Dagoth Ur's original voice after installing the Morrowind graphics & sound overhaul? I enjoyed how friendly and reasonable almost reasonable he sounded. Really hate the new demony voice or w/e it is.

There's an option for it in the MGSO control panel under Misc.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 5, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Docetic Mountain posted:

I always liked Dagoth Ur's character quite a bit. If you read all the in-game stuff about the Tribunal, he seems less like an evil overlord and more like a dude who got kinda suckered by other assholes. He's a lot more interesting than your standard video game evil mastermind person. Shame about how poo poo the final battle is.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is it just me or is MGSO the most buggy piece of poo poo? Even installing that and no other mods half the time I go places I get warning messages about missing files. Sometimes you can just hit continue and end up with a big yellow ! but other times it just straight up crashes the game. I'm pretty sure I am not doing anything wrong on installing it and it just is straight messed up and missing important files.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

There is a table, or something like that, that is mislabeled in the original 3.0 release, but other then that you shouldn't be running into any missing textures or exclamation points.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

I always liked Dagoth Ur's character quite a bit. If you read all the in-game stuff about the Tribunal, he seems less like an evil overlord and more like a dude who got kinda suckered by other assholes. He's a lot more interesting than your standard video game evil mastermind person. Shame about how poo poo the final battle is.

Play it with GDR (darknuts greater dwemer ruins)

I don't even count the vanilla battle in my headcanon

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Turns out I am a retard that left UAC on when installing MGSO thinking it wouldn't really matter.:suicide: Now after a complete reinstall of everything done the proper way I have a stable error free, crash free, idiot free, version of Morrowind. Not a single error on boot up and went to some known trouble spots I had before and no errors there and no yellow !. Could have saved myself two days of frustration and restarting the game several times if I had not been dumb and ignored the instructions.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

Yeah, the new voice entirely missed the mark, plus if you listen beyond all the "cool" effects it is so obviously a nerd trying to do his "cool evil guy voice" (dagoth gares and barilzar also have the same problem).

Berke Negri posted:

There is a table, or something like that, that is mislabeled in the original 3.0 release, but other then that you shouldn't be running into any missing textures or exclamation points.

There is a patch out there that fixes this!

Also Westly's pluginless texture replacer is faaar superior to better heads or Vvardenfell visage for atmosphere since it follows the original Bethesda designs almost perfectly.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can you install Westly's over top of Better Heads? Like in the case of MGSO.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yes, then be sure to disable the better heads esp

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

God, Tamriel Rebuilt is just gorgeous :allears: It blows my mind that people are still making content for this game.

I recently finished up my yearly Morrowind playthrough and completely forgot I had TR installed until I Almsivi'd into the middle of the mainland and got really confused for a few seconds about where I'd gone.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Better heads actually turns the Tribunal "hand" tattoo on Bethesda's heaad into some fingerless... palm... thing. It's pretty awful.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Mortimer posted:

TR's had some pretty major roadbumps, I can remember. The project changed course pretty radically around the time Silgrad Tower split off to become its own independent project. It used to be much more of a confederation rather than a single unified project, and allegedly was about to start realistically moving onto Skyrim when they changed priorities from 'quality' to 'lore-based quality' and the scope shrunk from all of Tamriel to all of Morrowind (and thus becoming the modern TR project). Granted, that info is mostly from ST folks, and there was a lot of bad blood when the split happened (TR wanted lore, Silgrad had elements that didn't mesh with the lore, TR demanded changes, ST said 'gently caress it, we're our own team now').

And then, of course, there was the efforts to make Hammerfell in Oblivion, which resulted in a divide of manpower that left both projects floundering before the decision was made to focus solely on Morrowind, which was in turn hampered by Morrowind's modding community shrinking due to migrations to Oblivion.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012
Is there a way to uninstall Tamriel Rebuilt? I tried but all it does is make morrowind crash during the initial loading. I love it but it's making me lag and I know I won't explore it until it's properly finished anyway...

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

In the middle of a playthrough? No.

Just disabling the .esm and .esps and starting a new game wouldn't be a problem I imagine though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Docetic Mountain posted:

Is there a way to uninstall Tamriel Rebuilt? I tried but all it does is make morrowind crash during the initial loading. I love it but it's making me lag and I know I won't explore it until it's properly finished anyway...

I can almost guarantee you TR itself is not making you crash. It's either something in your installation or another mod. Just because the game crashes when the loading bar says "loading TR_mainland" doesn't mean it's TR's fault. More than likely it's whatever is loading after it.

And I know the problems TR has gone through, I've stalked the secret forum archives and relished in that pointless nerd drama once I got in. Silgrad tower does kinda blow to be fair, I can see why haplo wanted nothing to do with that.

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012

Mortimer posted:

I can almost guarantee you TR itself is not making you crash. It's either something in your installation or another mod. Just because the game crashes when the loading bar says "loading TR_mainland" doesn't mean it's TR's fault. More than likely it's whatever is loading after it.

And I know the problems TR has gone through, I've stalked the secret forum archives and relished in that pointless nerd drama once I got in. Silgrad tower does kinda blow to be fair, I can see why haplo wanted nothing to do with that.

Joke's on you cause it was what was making me crash!

And now that that problem's solved the animated npcs seem to be missing their feet/random limb parts, so... weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

No, I'm still near 100% sure that wasn't the case. TR doesn't have any intensive scripts, or really any scripts at all. It doesn't interact with the mainland other than a select few references. It was a problem in your installation or an error with other mods.

Did you remember to register the TR_data.bsa in your morrowind.ini file? Because I'm thinking that was your problem.

edit: that's another thing, TR mods for the old TR_Map1 TR_Map2 setup won't worth with the new version.

mbt fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 7, 2014