Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

PotatoManJack posted:

I just got an Invisible Woman from a 2** + token. Is it worthwhile keeping her as I doubt I'll be able to get another cover for a long time, and I'm already using up all my cover spaces, so adding her would mean dropping someone else... I guess I could drop Hawkeye classic, but I like his board control abilities for PvE.

At this stage? Bye bye, Sue. If you're at a point where you're still finding Hawkeye Classic useful, you can either:

1) sell her for 50 Hero Points and use those towards another slot

2) keep her, and instead of nine or ten more covers needed to begin to make her viable (along with a metric shitton of ISO), you'll need eight or nine more.

Even with the recent buffs, Sue is still just not all that good. Yellow is expensive, gets placed randomly and matching its tile breaks it. Blue gives a decent Protect tile and lets you shield some bubbles, but it's expensive and the one thing I'd think to use it for (locking down Countdown tiles) destroys the bubble and not the tile when matched, leaving you where you started. Green is expensive and needs Blue skilled up as well to make it at all useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

PotatoManJack posted:

I just got an Invisible Woman from a 2** + token. Is it worthwhile keeping her as I doubt I'll be able to get another cover for a long time, and I'm already using up all my cover spaces, so adding her would mean dropping someone else... I guess I could drop Hawkeye classic, but I like his board control abilities for PvE.
The four-stars are an incredibly lengthy and expensive investment, regardless of how effective they are (they aren't), so if you can't spare the space feel free to get a small boost of HP to put toward your next cover space. That said, Invisible Woman has been a required team member for a few events so even that single cover might come in handy.

pixaal posted:

I was mocking them of course you would buff first.
I can't tell anymore :cry:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, since for whatever reason the PvE difficulty in my game went down, I should be able to sneak into the top 50 and get a daredevil. He'll probably be useless but at least it is another character that may let me do some missions later. (I fully expected the next set of missions to involve Hulk, or someone else I don't have)

Now to scrounge enough HP to buy a slot for his red rear end.

Edit: Yup. Top 50 finish with a red daredevil and *250* ISO. What will I do with so many riches?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 6, 2014

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Squeaked in at 50, wasn't really strong enough to continually win. Also, I lucked out trying for last minute points and am still in the mission set earning more 200 ISO boosts for first-time completion with no character restrictions beyond mission critical characters. This'll bank a few Patch levels, at least.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
My missions all reset to base level so I made a late charge for top 50. Ended up 1 mission short. :smithicide:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

They broke matchmaking for me in the last lightning round, I kept getting their 0-point dummy accounts over and over even at 200 points. Whatever, I'll take it. They never retaliate.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sometimes I stop and think about how I'm playing a color matching game that largely thrives off of how well you can get along without matching the colors at all. Then I realize it's actually a card collecting game.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

PotatoManJack posted:

Is getting cover spaces that big of an issue? I have enough to hold all the covers I need and then some.

Not sure what your roster looks like, but you probably have someone you could dump while you save up HP.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm up to 27 slots and I just had to cut someone loose. I've already been ditching Classic Hawkeye, Yelena, and Jugs on sight, but that Daredevil cover needs to stay in case I need him for event missions. I ended up cashing in IM 35 for 6k ISO since I wouldn't even use him in a 1 star tournament anymore and his covers are easily replaceable.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I'm actually not hating the new changes so much. It was fun smashing everyone with ap boosts and thorverine but since then I have started using the other characters more. It means I play less games but the ones I play are more thoughtful. I did recently get some spidey blues though so maybe that has something to do with it.

Also, I'm not getting the whole 'sell nerfed characters' thing. Surely the aim of the game is to collect all the characters? Almost every single HP I've ever collected has gone on cover space...

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm wondering if I should effortpost about my team building ideas here.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Go for it. Not like we have anything better to do at the moment.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Okay, so Team Building. This is of course assuming the tournament or PVE event you're participating in doesn't have rules, buffs, or restrictions that directly contradict what I have to say here. The most recent heroic event, for instance, allowed you to use only 8 characters, none of which had a black activated ability, and only one of them (Daredevil) had any buffs.

Here are the general guidelines on how I build teams:

1. You only need one primary damage dealer. Thor and Wolverine on the same team are redundant. Not only that, but if Thor is the one with the highest damage value, then Wolverine isn't soaking damage with his healing abilities.
1a. As long as your primary damage dealer is event boosted, it doesn't matter so much that the rest of your team isn't boosted, unless they have to match colors in order to activate passive abilitites (OBW).

2. You want as little active ability color overlap as possible. Thor and Wolverine are both fighting over the red and green powers. If you're using the colors of one character, then you're not using that other characters'. Passives don't count, and having a character with a passive color ability that's the same as one of your active color abilities can be great synergy.

3. If at all possible, and the abilities you try to use are effective, try to have activated abilities that key off of each color in the spectrum. This is why Loki is such an excellent pairing with Patch Wolverine. Loki's hostile tile theft and complimenting color palette meshes extraordinarily well with Patch's, plus his two abilities (black and pink) are good in colors it is rare to be good in.

4. Board clearing abilities (hulk's thunderous crap, Storm's greens, et. al) are not compatible with your own web tiles, strike tiles, and countdown tiles.

5. Countdown tiles are almost completely worthless in PVP events or PVE events involving Dark Avengers. This doesn't count Hulk's 0 countdown rage tiles. Punisher's molotov is also an exception, since it has an instant effect when used, and if it manages to go off, has a lasting positive outcome for you, and it's reasonably cheap.
5.a Hawkeye NOW! is only good when 300% boosted because of this.

6. Cap is only good for PVE.

8. Bagman is good for nothing.

9. Board control and/or Color Changing isn't as good as stun, but it is good. Thor, Doom, Magneto, and Grey Widow all exemplify this as they let you create the board you want to play with to a greater or lesser degree. Unfortunately, Cap's version of board control really only works well in PvE missions against mooks.

10. Stun is ridiculously important for punching out of your weight class.

11. Match damage is insignificant when compared to activated Abilities.
11a. Anything you can do to prevent activated abilities is how you win fights.

12. Because of the game's energy mechanic in the form of slowly regenerating heal tokens that can only be accelerated with premium in game currency, any sort of affordable or effective healing ability is inherently broken. Either you can heal effectively and therefore can grind out missions and fights, or you can't and you're stuck in top 1000 land, and therefore aren't getting any good tokens or covers.

Once I take that into consideration, then I look at team builds, and try to figure out what works best.

Grey widow works well with Thor, the Wolverines, Ares, and Hulk because her purple directly feeds their green Abilities and in a pinch if they get KO'd, she deals enough damage on her own to possibly let you win even in the event of a disastrous cascade that wipes out one of your characters. This is in spite of the fact that she shares red and green colors with those quality damage dealers. Her purple is just that good, plus it lets you reshape the board to best suit your strategy.

The Hood works well as a support character because his blue is passive, he gives you black matches for solid damage, and slowly feeds you a steady diet of bonus AP. His fully covered Yellow is an acceptable emergency board clear, but it's not the primary reason you'd take him. None of his activated abilities are great, but his Dormammu's Aid passive makes him worth taking seriously.

Original Black Widow is the best battery character in the game. If you keep her steal at low levels, it devastates primary damage characters, but leaves you susceptible to the more significant support characters, including Spiderman and other OBWs. Ultimately, choosing to add levels to her AP steal does slow her AP theft down but it is a viable option. Other than 3* Magneto, OBW doesn't really have many meaningful color conflicts. OBW, Spiderman, and any Primary damage dealer is the most effective team in the game currently.

There's other character combinations I sometimes use depending on the event, but this is generally how I approach things. I win good covers reliably without whaling, and have even won a few 4* covers by getting very lucky. I doubt I'm the most successful player here, but I'm fairly comfortable with the amount of success I've had so far and since this game regularly separates players into small brackets, I don't mind the added competition.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I agree with all of that, good write up.

I'll add that defense in pvp can add nuance to your team choice: self mutilating characters like juggernaut ares and hulk excel (especially ares, hulk only when boosted) in being annoying to fight against.

Also the AI behavior in using your teams skills is to try to use the most expensive skills in every character category, so a Spider-Man with obw won't web that often. Grey widow therefore is a terrible teammate on defense because she prevents your team from using their probably much better reds and greens.

Defense will matter a lot more once spidey gets funbalanced and you can no longer just stunlock past every defense, so look to the future.

I'm gonna say that the current ideal team is probably obw spidey and patch. obw has good synergy with patch green, and spidey can mitigate the damage from enemy tile generation. Bonus points to punisher as runner up with a usable black. This will change when spidey and probably obw get fun balanced. Healing is just way too strong.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 7, 2014

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Is getting cover spaces that big of an issue? I have enough to hold all the covers I need and then some.

Not sure what your roster looks like, but you probably have someone you could dump while you save up HP.

I'm pretty new having only played for about 3 weeks now. I have 14 spaces currently, and use all my HP to buy more spaces when I get enough.

I think I'll just sell her for the extra HP and to help me open up another space.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Things I don't like:

Losing points in SHIELD training. Why offer those sexy rewards at the bottom if theyre impossible to reach?

Also Grey Widow's tile strengths not matching her ability colors. That threw me for a while.

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 7, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Things I don't like:

Losing points in SHIELD training. Why offer those sexy rewards at the bottom if theyre impossible to reach?

Also Grey Widow's tile strengths not matching her ability colors. That threw me for a while.

Go to the current wolverine event. Check the amount of points you need to get the last prize. It's just the game's modus operandi to have unachievable bullshit prizes. I guess the developers think it will cause some seriously masochistic whale to go for it.

Anyways, got the three hundred points wolverine token and was "lucky" enough to get the 4-star wolvie. So I guess Yelena will have to get the gently caress out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I got Daken from that. Ah well. PVP is great for getting crystal, at least. I doubt I'll stay in my current top-10 spot.

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

I think I just had an evilgasm...

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Things I don't like:

Thematically that last one makes sense. She's squishy, you don't want her out front with green matches when she's supposed to be off in the distance setting up a big-rear end sniper rifle.
Pair her with Hulk so he can anger up when he gets hit in return, or Daken if you want to pre-boost her sniper rifle passively just from getting the tiles you need to use it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

messagemode1 posted:

I agree with all of that, good write up.

I'll add that defense in pvp can add nuance to your team choice: self mutilating characters like juggernaut ares and hulk excel (especially ares, hulk only when boosted) in being annoying to fight against.

Also the AI behavior in using your teams skills is to try to use the most expensive skills in every character category, so a Spider-Man with obw won't web that often. Grey widow therefore is a terrible teammate on defense because she prevents your team from using their probably much better reds and greens.

Defense will matter a lot more once spidey gets funbalanced and you can no longer just stunlock past every defense, so look to the future.

I'm gonna say that the current ideal team is probably obw spidey and patch. obw has good synergy with patch green, and spidey can mitigate the damage from enemy tile generation. Bonus points to punisher as runner up with a usable black. This will change when spidey and probably obw get fun balanced. Healing is just way too strong.

The real problem isn't that healing is too strong, it's that you have to heal in order to even be able to play the game. Persistent damage needs to go away immediately, especially if they want to keep dropping 230 level enemy teams on our heads. Healing isn't a magical comeback mechanism inside of a match, it's something you do before you win the match so that you can continue to play more matches, which is bullshit of the highest order.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

A.o.D. posted:

The real problem isn't that healing is too strong, it's that you have to heal in order to even be able to play the game. Persistent damage needs to go away immediately, especially if they want to keep dropping 230 level enemy teams on our heads. Healing isn't a magical comeback mechanism inside of a match, it's something you do before you win the match so that you can continue to play more matches, which is bullshit of the highest order.

I can kind of understand the healing mechanic in PVP as it plays into a risk/reward type of system when choosing who you can potentially fight, and adds an incentive to minimise damage to your team. In PVE it makes less sense as you are not playing against peoples teams directly and only trying to get the high score. Once they add the skip tax in PVP I'm not sure how I will feel about it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Friendly Fire posted:

I can kind of understand the healing mechanic in PVP as it plays into a risk/reward type of system when choosing who you can potentially fight, and adds an incentive to minimise damage to your team. In PVE it makes less sense as you are not playing against peoples teams directly and only trying to get the high score. Once they add the skip tax in PVP I'm not sure how I will feel about it.

The thing is, once you get past the early game, fights tend to be blowouts one way or the other. Either you don't need to recover, or you're spending 3 heal tokens reviving your A-team.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A.o.D. posted:

The thing is, once you get past the early game, fights tend to be blowouts one way or the other. Either you don't need to recover, or you're spending 3 heal tokens reviving your A-team.

Eh, not really. Especially with dudes like Ares who deal non-insignificant but teamwide damage, the situation where it's just enough to be risky to take into the next battle, but also not really enough to justify spending 3 health packs on tends to crop up fairly often.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

AnonSpore posted:

Eh, not really. Especially with dudes like Ares who deal non-insignificant but teamwide damage, the situation where it's just enough to be risky to take into the next battle, but also not really enough to justify spending 3 health packs on tends to crop up fairly often.

Not if you use a healer. If you play spiderman or OBW, you generally end a fight at full health or you die.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Karnegal posted:

Not if you use a healer. If you play spiderman or OBW, you generally end a fight at full health or you die.

You don't always get the chance though. If Ares takes himself out and is the last character, you can't do anything but carry that damage through to the next match or use a heal.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

You can just enter a basic oscorp mission with obw and spidey to full heal at no risk.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

messagemode1 posted:

You can just enter a basic oscorp mission with obw and spidey to full heal at no risk.

If you have them...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So who should I be is leveling / dumping ISO? Doesn't feel like anyone is safe so should I just skip the balancing and get Bag Man maxed and ready?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
To add the the healing discussion, I wonder why they haven't bothered to try to scale the hot dog stand up. 50 hp doesn't cut it very quickly into the game. A percentage based heal would make much more sense and make those environment tiles worth fighting for.

For that matter why are the lvl 2 environment abilities both useless and near impossible to save up for? Anyone find any use for them?

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

Narrow alleyway is pretty devestating, as is forest fire if you have a red-powered-strike and the winter one for blue.
Saving up for them though, yeah, that's been shot since they stopped buffing the enviro matches with boosted heroes.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
New tournaments:

* No Holds Barred Elite, aka Whalebait 2. Do not attempt this.

* Blind Justice, with Daredevil buffed. Worth going to 300 points for a slim shot at a DD cover. Attainable prizes are... Doctor Doom and Moonstone. :allears:

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I wonder how much $$$ the whales are gonna spend to get the "win all characters" prize.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pay god knows how much to win ever character? What the gently caress :stare:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And then you have to level them up. One of every cover.

:laugh:

matryx
Jul 22, 2005

Do they at least get a full roster slots unlock?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Whale or cheat, you be the judge.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Looks like a whale to me. Has hp and iso coming out the rear end so he can immediately raise anything he gets up to max level, but he's still limited by getting that first cover to unlock the skill.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

AnonSpore posted:

Looks like a whale to me. Has hp and iso coming out the rear end so he can immediately raise anything he gets up to max level, but he's still limited by getting that first cover to unlock the skill.

Wouldn't a cheat have similar access to hp and iso, and similar lack of access to different color covers?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's almost like they're trying to squeeze every last dime out of the whales before everybody quits.

Oh wait, that's exactly what they're doing... :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Friendly Fire posted:

If you have them...

If you don't you are by definition still in the early game.