Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ultimateforce posted:

Well, I had a killer deal for a 2003 Corvette lined up for not much money but the deal isn't going to go through as planned. I am now thinking about getting another 300D.

So Rich now owns two Corvettes, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
He already owned both.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

mafoose posted:

Doesn't look that bad.
If it was a Volvo 240, step 1 is to remove car around blower motor.

I've done a 240 heater core. It sucked for sure, but at least the windshield stayed on the car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ultimateforce posted:

He already owned both.

Wait, you made a deal with Rich to buy one of the Corvettes and the deal fell through? Rich is not your friend.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Wait, you made a deal with Rich to buy one of the Corvettes and the deal fell through? Rich is not your friend.

He wants the money up front, not in payments, which I understand. He also has to pay for school and medical bills so I can't really blame him for not wanting to wait another year for me to save up the rest.

Edit: I applied for a loan for the amount of the car and was denied so that pretty much killed that deal.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

http://www.smythkitcars.com/

Edit: http://www.smythkitcars.com/#!Gallery/cee5
:eyepop:

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 3, 2014

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
818 given your access to Subaru parts
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2013-factory-five-818/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Is :eyepop: referring to the panel gap (or just straight misalignment and non-fitting panels)? If so, I agree.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

As terrible as that Jetta truck is, Corbin Goodwin (of RX-7 infamy) beat him to the punch with the "Jettamino" concept:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I think i'm the only person in AI who actually likes Corbin and his ridiculous projects. Still stoked on the drift Rolls he's building.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.
Corbin is a friend of a friend, and I like his projects - to a point. The RX-7 was kind of a cute novelty, and it was great that it got picked up by /DRIVE, but everything since then from him has had overtones of "Now that I'm famous and everybody loves whatever I do, I shall deign to grace lesser mortals with my enlightened vehicle modification techniques"

Dude is in danger of disappearing up his own butthole.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

ironblock posted:

Dude is in danger of disappearing up his own butthole.

Most people his age are in danger of that regardless of internet fame.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

CENTRAL FLORIDA JERKS: Want to go figure 8 racing?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pay my entry fee.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Hamster on a piano, eating popcorn on a piano.

This is me listening to the radio.

Here let me fiddle around with this stupid rust bucket.

Wow these mounts fit great. No wonder the RB aftermarket for S30s is terrible. I am making my own soon.

Got the fit for the turbo today, this is harder than you'd think.

One of my favorite customer cars. SUPER practical.

Waiting on parts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why the hell would someone want a right hand drive XB? The conversion is kinda cool tho.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Ha, conversion! They came like that in Japan.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah, it's an xB OpenDeck or whatever. Cool car but they can't have made many. How's he driving it around legally?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love that thing.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, it's an xB OpenDeck or whatever. Cool car but they can't have made many. How's he driving it around legally?

I have no idea how these things happen. I don't ask too much other than it has a legal VIN in Florida.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

e; thoroughly beaten

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

Ha, conversion! They came like that in Japan.

Haha. It looks cool, but gently caress RHD.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
LOL McKinney mounts have always been terrible. Have they fixed the transmount yet or do you still just drill 2 holes through the passenger floor and call it good?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

By the grace of God the transmount fit.

Note: If I didn't put those metal spacers in there would be no room for an oil pan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm going to wager that they ganked the VIN off of a scrapped xB. Highly illegal, but unless either vehicle was actually stolen, not really wrong.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I will bet you $1,000 right now he didn't.

Edit: No VIN swapped cars come through the shop ever, period. We don't deal in or with stolen cars. I know actually when the car came to America and how it got legalized but it's definitely through loop holes so I won't say anything else about it again in this thread.

ultimateforce fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 7, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ultimateforce posted:

I will bet you $1,000 right now he didn't.

Edit: No VIN swapped cars come through the shop ever, period. We don't deal in or with stolen cars. I know actually when the car came to America and how it got legalized but it's definitely through loop holes so I won't say anything else about it again in this thread.

So he claims he uses it for racing but drives it around anyways? That's just about the only loophole I can think of other than importing it as a scrapped XB or in pieces then re-assembling it.

Pretty neat little car, though.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Ahhh yes, the "I want to have a pickup truck but I don't ever want to be able to actually use it like one (or like an SUV either) so a SUT is the chassis for me!" rationale.

I never understood that, though it does look... kinda cool? At least it isn't a hummer SUT or an escalade SUT I guess.

Those mounts are awful, holy poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In Danish, "sut" translates to "suck".

It also means "pacifier", and it's a slang term for an alcoholic.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Pretty cool eRod crate engine. Good work GM.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Very cool! I'm curious, how does all the emissions equipment fit in, is it all just part of the motor or do you have to run vacuum lines for the evap, etc?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

It has two cats and all the modern smog controls. I'll post more when I get it all out of the crate.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fucknag posted:

Very cool! I'm curious, how does all the emissions equipment fit in, is it all just part of the motor or do you have to run vacuum lines for the evap, etc?

Modern GM stuff really doesn't have much beyond cats and evap, and their ECUs are incredibly easy to program to work as stand-alone (no BCM, no TCU, etc).

Even my IonCobalt<newerCavalier> lacks EGR, PCV, and FITV. It has a cat and a very basic evap system.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

some texas redneck posted:

Even my IonCobalt<newerCavalier> lacks PCV.

That seems so weird to me, does it just vent to atmosphere or does it handle it a different way?

And it never occurred to me that a crate motor came in an actual crate, just never thought of it before :doh: it's so obvious when you spend more than a few ms thinking about it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Looks like I'm sort of wrong.

There's a PCV system internal to the head + intake manifold, with a breather hose connected to the intake ducting. :doh: There's no PCV valve to deal with, at least...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
The LS3 has PCV and an evap system. It's just all pretty compact, and in order to be CARB certified as a crate motor it probably has all that stuff on it from the factory.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Raluek posted:

in order to be CARB certified as a crate motor it probably has all that stuff on it from the factory.

We hope you enjoy your new GM crate engine!

Instructions:

1. Pull yellow quick release tab to remove emissions equipment

2. Install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Boy it sure is hard to find an Impreza 2.5RS.

• Locked thread