Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Split cards have the CMC of each half, they don't add together. So for example Turn // Burn has a CMC of 2 and 3, and if you flipped one off Duskmantle you'd only take 2 damage.

No, they have are one card together, which includes the CMC, so yes, you would take 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Oh yes, the Dragon's Maze FAQ even states that explicitly. My mistake.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Mr. Peepers posted:

Split cards have the CMC of each half, they don't add together. So for example Turn // Burn has a CMC of 2 and 3, and if you flipped one off Duskmantle you'd only take 2 damage.

Incorrect. The card simultaneously has CMC 2 and CMC 3, you will take 5 damage from the trigger.

quote:

708.5. An effect that asks for a particular characteristic of a split card while it’s in a zone other than the stack gets two answers (one for each of the split card’s two halves).

Example: Infernal Genesis has an ability that reads, “At the beginning of each player’s upkeep, that player puts the top card from his or her library into his or her graveyard. He or she then puts X 1/1 black Minion creature tokens into play, where X is that card’s converted mana cost.” If the top card of your library is Assault/Battery when this ability resolves, the game sees its converted mana cost as “1, and 4.” You get five creature tokens.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Incorrect. The card simultaneously has CMC 2 and CMC 3, you will take 5 damage from the trigger.

Further, it is for this reason you can use Inquisition of Kozilek to make some discard something like far/away or beck/call

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Split cards are weird. :saddowns:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mr. Peepers posted:

Split cards are weird. :saddowns:

Yes. Yes they are. Despite having both CMCs, you can Cascade into EITHER side, as long as one fits the Cascade criteria.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Can't you Cascade into Boom and use Bust?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bhsman posted:

Yes, this is exactly what I'm referring to.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Some Numbers posted:

Yes, this is exactly what I'm referring to.

Dang. Just another reminder for me to finish Restore Balance.dec at some point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

bhsman posted:

You can imprint Turn//Burn onto Isochron Scepter and cast the whole card with the effect.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

You can imprint Turn//Burn onto Isochron Scepter and cast the whole card with the effect.

This one is false. Reread the text for Fuse.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Some Numbers posted:

This one is false. Reread the text for Fuse.

You're right. You CAN cast the Turn effect for 2, though.

Edit: Which makes it cool to imprint Breaking//Entering and you get a reborn effect for 2.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 6, 2014

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

Fuse has to be cast from your hand. I'm pretty sure you can cast either side with the stick though, though.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Research // development is the scepter imprint of choice. 2 mana for 1-3 cards/ 3/1 tokens? Great!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

You're right. You CAN cast the Turn effect for 2, though.

Edit: Which makes it cool to imprint Breaking//Entering and you get a reborn effect for 2.

Let me know how Imprinting a sorcery on Isochron Scepter works for you.

suicidesteve posted:

Fuse has to be cast from your hand. I'm pretty sure you can cast either side with the stick though, though.

Accurate.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

bhsman posted:

Dang. Just another reminder for me to finish Restore Balance.dec at some point.

MY LGS had a Modern FNM a week or two ago so, being new to the format, I bought the Borderpost version of Restore Balance for like $45 bucks and brought it in. Holy hell, what a bizarre deck. Never before have I had to sit and think about whether I wanted to make a land drop on turn 3 or not. A+ would recommend playing just for the experience. The only problems are that one, it seems really hard to pilot effectively so you'll want lots of playtesting and two, it's mass land destruction so no one will want to playtest with you.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Peepers posted:

MY LGS had a Modern FNM a week or two ago so, being new to the format, I bought the Borderpost version of Restore Balance for like $45 bucks and brought it in. Holy hell, what a bizarre deck. Never before have I had to sit and think about whether I wanted to make a land drop on turn 3 or not. A+ would recommend playing just for the experience.

Yeah, I tried goldfishing it and just...it's so weird. Balance is one of my favorite cards ever, so a pseudo-Balance deck immediately caught my eye. Plus, like that Standard deck I like playing, it uses oddball cards like Greater Gargadon to beat people, which is :psyduck: as gently caress in a format like Modern.

quote:

The only problems are that one, it seems really hard to pilot effectively so you'll want lots of playtesting and two, it's mass land destruction so no one will want to playtest with you.

You'd think the Jund players, pre-DRS ban, would like having land in their graveyard. :smug:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Do we think path if bravery has a home in WW now that Bro-maz the kitty king is a thing? Run two spear and 2-3 path and have 3/3 vigilance cat tokens everywhere. Or is the 3 drop a lot too crowded already with spear/brimaz/banisher priest?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mezzanon posted:

Do we think path if bravery has a home in WW now that Bro-maz the kitty king is a thing? Run two spear and 2-3 path and have 3/3 vigilance cat tokens everywhere. Or is the 3 drop a lot too crowded already with spear/brimaz/banisher priest?

...Path wasn't a thing before Brimaz?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

He's definitely an amazing beater. I would just change the rest of the list a bit to cut down on the higher costed spells to reduce the risk of playing him. I was originally running things like Turn//Burn or Far//Away, but even with scry effects to control my topdecks, taking 5 damage even once was backbreaking.

In other news, here's my updated list for Big Simic:

Deck: Big Simic

Potential sideboard changes:
-- Add counterspells now that this is more blue-heavy.
-- Maybe Rapid Hybridization.
-- Sylvan Primordial is pretty sweet, but I'm still hooked on Prime Speaker to refill my hand.

EDIT: Change 2 of the forests to islands.

Do you think Kiora is really worth running as a 4 of in this deck? I guess the explore option is pretty good, but it seems like you'd rather be doing something bigger with that mana (Terrorkraken!). I have most of the pieces for this deck in hand now, but not the Kiora. Also, how do you think this will hold up against drown in sorrow?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Okay, one more question on Murderhorse for you bhsman.

Did you think of putting a single or 2 of Gild in as part of BNG? I see it as the only good way to remove a god from play with Black. I have a copy and I am thinking swapping out Ultimate Price for it. I know the cost is a tad higher, but you also get a floating mana back.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

OssiansFolly posted:

Did you think of putting a single or 2 of Gild in as part of BNG? I see it as the only good way to remove a god from play with Black. I have a copy and I am thinking swapping out Ultimate Price for it. I know the cost is a tad higher, but you also get a floating mana back.

You pretty much get rid of the gods by turning them off by killing all the creatures. Mogis is the only one who really does a lot without being a creature, and you should have enough guys out that you don't really care.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Some Numbers posted:

Let me know how Imprinting a sorcery on Isochron Scepter works for you.

I'm just all sorts of out of it lately.
Holy gently caress. :smith:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Honestly if I were to put it in the deck right now, I'd get rid of Act of Treason first.

suicidesteve posted:

You pretty much get rid of the gods by turning them off by killing all the creatures. Mogis is the only one who really does a lot without being a creature, and you should have enough guys out that you don't really care.

Not disagreeing, but in some games my opponent has activated Heliod - for example - by playing stuff like Chained to the Rocks or Detention Sphere - or both! Before the inclusion of Ratchet Bomb, there hasn't been a way for the deck to deal with that stuff before, and even then there's only so many copies of Ratchet Bomb to removal.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm just all sorts of out of it lately.
Holy gently caress. :smith:

Don't take it so bad, we all make mistakes like that sometimes. :glomp:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I've been out of the deck building loop since before the holidays and haven't really kept up with all the most recent murderdecks. Are there any projected killers starting next week or should I just wait a week or two and check mtgtop8 to see what's crushing people?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

MY LGS had a Modern FNM a week or two ago so, being new to the format, I bought the Borderpost version of Restore Balance for like $45 bucks and brought it in. Holy hell, what a bizarre deck. Never before have I had to sit and think about whether I wanted to make a land drop on turn 3 or not. A+ would recommend playing just for the experience. The only problems are that one, it seems really hard to pilot effectively so you'll want lots of playtesting and two, it's mass land destruction so no one will want to playtest with you.

If you remember that Violent Outburst is an instant, you're already halfway to getting to know the deck. But yeah, it's definitely a weird one.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

a dozen swans posted:

If you remember that Violent Outburst is an instant, you're already halfway to getting to know the deck. But yeah, it's definitely a weird one.

Another 25% is knowing that you can exile Simian Spirit Guide at instant speed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

Another 25% is knowing that you can exile Simian Spirit Guide at instant speed.

First turn Blood Moon is absolutely breaking, if not just GG, against most of modern and of minimal concern to you. And if you're playing against something with counters, Violent Outburst on their EOT followed by another cascader on your turn usually gets it through.

And never underestimate the usefulness of a first turn suspended Restore Balance. It either forces them to wait 6 turns to start playing, at which point they probably discard most of their hand anyway, or it gives them a short clock to kill you, which you can pretty easily delay.

It's a really fun deck (to play) that has an unfortunate weakness to Maelstrom Pulse, Ancient Grudge, counters, artifact hate, and a bunch of other stuff that everyone plays.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

a dozen swans posted:

I'm pretty familiar with some of the tricky mechanical interactions (Violent Outburst while Terramorphic Expanse's ability is on the stack, for example), I was just making blatantly bad plays. Stuff like saccing and discarding all my lands with only 2 borderposts on the field, not fetching a Mountain when it's the only color I'm missing, keeping Court Hussar around when I shouldn't, things like that. Like I said, one of the hardest parts of the deck for me was knowing how to play my lands before the first Balance if I didn't have a Gargadon out.

(thanks for the list, by the way, only changes I made were going from 3 to 4 Restore Balance in the main and being too cheap even for Blood Moons)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm pretty familiar with some of the tricky mechanical interactions (Violent Outburst while Terramorphic Expanse's ability is on the stack, for example), I was just making blatantly bad plays. Stuff like saccing and discarding all my lands with only 2 borderposts on the field, not fetching a Mountain when it's the only color I'm missing, keeping Court Hussar around when I shouldn't, things like that. Like I said, one of the hardest parts of the deck for me was knowing how to play my lands before the first Balance if I didn't have a Gargadon out.

(thanks for the list, by the way, only changes I made were going from 3 to 4 Restore Balance in the main and being too cheap even for Blood Moons)

I always try to keep at most 1 land until I find a Gargadon. If you find a Borderpost, you can bounce that land, where if you have 2 lands, you can't get down to 0 where you want to be. A lot of the time if I start with 2 lands and 2 Posts, and the person knows what I'm playing, I'll hold the Posts back and play them both turn 2. They probably can't counter both turn 2, and after your first turn they might think you don't have any and play differently. There's all kinds of fun strategy you'll pick up over time.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm going to probably my last constructed event for a while tomorrow, I think. I'll be bringing Rakdos Aggro for Standard, but I haven't really updated it at all with any Born of the Gods stuff since I didn't/couldn't get/trade for anything during the prerelease.

Has anyone tested out whether Mogis is actually decent in the deck, or if Pain Seer is an appropriate replacement for Rakdos Shred Freak? Are any of the other BotG cards a good idea to slot in if I can get them before the event starts?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

suicidesteve posted:

It's a really fun deck (to play) that has an unfortunate weakness to Maelstrom Pulse, Ancient Grudge, counters, artifact hate, and a bunch of other stuff that everyone plays.

No deck is perfect, though what I like about Restore Balance is that it doesn't really care about GY hate, which can make it hard to deal with.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

suicidesteve posted:

A lot of the time if I start with 2 lands and 2 Posts, and the person knows what I'm playing, I'll hold the Posts back and play them both turn 2.

You actually only need one land for that, incidentally. Land turn 1, then on turn 2 you can play a borderpost, replay the land, then play the second borderpost.

Even if you have two lands, not showing your opponent the second one is an improvement.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jabor posted:

You actually only need one land for that, incidentally. Land turn 1, then on turn 2 you can play a borderpost, replay the land, then play the second borderpost.

Woah. :stonkhat:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

Even if you have two lands, not showing your opponent the second one is an improvement.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm pretty burnt out from working way too much. Midnight can't come soon enough.

Edit again: Never mind. I'm not braining good.

My favorite play ever with Restore Balance was cracking a Terramorphic Expanse vs. Tron on his end step, Violent Outbursting in response, and then using the mountain I found to evoke an Ingot Chewer to blow up his last thing in play, which I think was a Map. Then I cast Blood Moon, because screw Tron.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 7, 2014

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Yup. Also, one of the nice things about Terramorphic Expanse is playing it turn 1 doesn't stop you from getting 2 posts out on turn 2.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Olothreutes posted:

Do you think Kiora is really worth running as a 4 of in this deck? I guess the explore option is pretty good, but it seems like you'd rather be doing something bigger with that mana (Terrorkraken!). I have most of the pieces for this deck in hand now, but not the Kiora. Also, how do you think this will hold up against drown in sorrow?

Kiora is severely underestimated. In the early game, her minus effect is ridiculous in this deck, and it's insurance against losing an early mana dork. Late game, she allows my Arbor Colossus to attack rather than standing there hoping to block a Dragon, and if you can't answer her immediately I release the Kraken.

Drown In Sorrow is no worse than Supreme Verdict, but it's considerably worse with Kiora to make up for it. Without Farseek, playing an extra mana source AND drawing a card is bonkers. This deck just attacks from a different direction from the GR Devotion....instead of early damage, it wants card advantage. If your play is Drown in Sorrow, my Prophet survives, and I can respond by flashing in something huge. You're likely tapped out or close to it, in which case I get to swing for quite a bit. However, it is one reason I'm considering sideboard counterspells.

Lastly, she's a Thoughtseize lightning rod. If you're taking Kiora, you're not taking my Garruk or my Polukranos, and I can live with that. In short, she's a layer of redundancy the deck was missing before which makes it more resilient.

I might reduce her to a 3-of, but I wouldn't go lower than that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I just noticed you dropped Nylea from the deck, is the loss of trample a big thing or no?

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
Has anyone tried building an even semi-competitive Minotaur deck now that BNG is out? I'm not much of a deckbuilder so all I've came up with is this but, while not tier one, I think it's an idea for a deck that can be fun and a little more effective than one might think at first glance given all the great removal available in red and black right now. I'd love to see some more mindfully built lists for the idea if anyone else has been looking at it.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/minotaur-tribal-06-02-14-3/

Edit for reference: That list in particular is just what I've been tinkering with based on what I already own, I'd probably run a full grip of hero's downfall if I had more of 'em. Ditto with not having thoughtseize in there at all.

Typhus733 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Typhus733 posted:

Has anyone tried building an even semi-competitive Minotaur deck now that BNG is out? I'm not much of a deckbuilder so all I've came up with is this but, while not tier one, I think it's an idea for a deck that can be fun and a little more effective than one might think at first glance given all the great removal available in red and black right now. I'd love to see some more mindfully built lists for the idea if anyone else has been looking at it.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/minotaur-tribal-06-02-14-3/

Edit for reference: That list in particular is just what I've been tinkering with based on what I already own, I'd probably run a full grip of hero's downfall if I had more of 'em. Ditto with not having thoughtseize in there at all.

I thought about doing this just because the majority of it would be so cheap to build. I would definitely run 4 ragemongers though, if you have a single one out then the rest only cost 1 to play. I'm also not totally sold on felhide spiritbinder, I played one in sealed at prerelease and it was fun when it worked but a lot of the time it was just a body. Only t1 spell I can see for that deck probably is a thoughtseize though. Cheap fun casual deck.

• Locked thread