Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dacap posted:

The Daily Mail is claiming that Paul Bettany will be Vision in Avengers AOU, but take it with a huge grain of salt as the Daily Mail is one of the least reputable news sources you can find.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Age-Ultron.html

It does make sense though. If Ultron is born out of Jarvis as suspected and Vision is born of Ultron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Oh yeah, it's not an outlandish idea by any means. It's just that the Daily Mail is a piece of poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's part of why I find it suspect though, because the Daily Mail is so disreputable I can easily imagine some intern finding that years-old fan theory and passing it up the chain as though it were a scoop.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's pretty rad if it's true though. Paul Bettany is great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

That's pretty rad if it's true though. Paul Bettany is great.

Yeah, I hope it's true. He needs to be in a movie that isn't poo poo for once.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, I hope it's true. He needs to be in a movie that isn't poo poo for once.

I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to top his amazing performance as Geoffrey Chaucer in A Knight's Tale. And who could forget the unforgettable role of Generic British Bad Guy in Firewall?

But yeah. I agree.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Variety is running with the Daily Mail's report, so there may be some credence to it. I'm still skeptical until Marvel Studios themselves comment.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Maaaan, gently caress Vision. That dude fuckin' sucks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey guys I'm like the boring parts of Red Tornado and Martian Manhunter put together with none of the cool parts. Let's all hang out!

(i know nothing of Vision)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

Hey guys I'm like the boring parts of Red Tornado and Martian Manhunter put together with none of the cool parts. Let's all hang out!

You say that like there are actually cool parts about those other characters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vision is a robot. Robots always have the potential to be cool. This version probably isn't going to be anything like the one in the comics anyway.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Red Tornado was fun as the co-ordinator of Young Justice back in the day, and the JL/JLU version of Martian Manhunter was :krad: as gently caress. :colbert:

And the Vision adds some interesting dynamics to the action scenes of Avengers fights, although I'll agree I've never been terribly engaged by him.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
We need Jocasta if Ultron's around.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Deadpool posted:

I love martian manhunter. He's all like "Hey guys I have all the power of Superman. Also I can turn super dense or pass through walls. Also I can read minds and control minds. Also I'm the last member of my species like Superman. I'm basically God. OH poo poo A FIRE OH GOD NO! NOT FIIIIIIIRE! OH NO! Oh well maybe my fear of fire is just psychosomatic anyway. UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY PASSIONATE ABOUT YOUR FIRES! P.S. give me oreos. PPS A guy saw my true form once it was so scary he died, I"m so cool and everybody's favorite superhero probably."

That guy's a riot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

No. We really don't.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Jocasta is a bridge too far.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

How does anyone watch Kill Bill and not realize he's talking about Silver Age huge dick Superman? Bill grew up in a Mexican brothel in the 1950s he wasn't reading All Star Superman, jesus nerds.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think we're well beyond that DynamicSloth but thank you for living up to your name.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Variety's backing the Bettany thing up, but who knows if they just read the Mail or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the movie version was just a new suit Tony makes and he's just voicing it.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Martian Manhunter is fantastic. Red Tornado on the other hand seems to exist only to explode.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Variety's backing the Bettany thing up, but who knows if they just read the Mail or not. I wouldn't be surprised if the movie version was just a new suit Tony makes and he's just voicing it.

Variety just sources the Daily Mail so I wouldn't trust it until we hear from Marvel officially.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Opopanax posted:

It makes perfect sense if they're doing Ultron and Tony is responsible for creating, or causing the creation of Ultron.

Plus they also have Scarlet Witch, so I suppose they could potentially set up that whole thing from the comics if they wanted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

greatn posted:

Hey guys I'm like the boring parts of Red Tornado

Red Tornado is more like the boring parts of Vision. gently caress, even Brave and the Bold didn't manage to make Red Tornado interesting in the least.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Red Tornado was interesting as the den mother in the Young Justice book, and that's about it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There was that cute panel in JLA/Avengers where he's showing off his adopted daughter to the Vision and Wanda too. It doesn't really make Red Tornado more interesting, I just like that panel :3:.

E--

For context, tagging a 10 year-old comic: Due to cosmic shenanigans the Marvel and DC universes were merged into one and the issue jumps between various eras of the teams hanging out at yearly get-togethers. This is the 80s/early 90s party.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 7, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

There was that cute panel in JLA/Avengers where he's showing off his adopted daughter to the Vision and Wanda too. It doesn't really make Red Tornado more interesting, I just like that panel :3:.

E--

For context, tagging a 10 year-old comic: Due to cosmic shenanigans the Marvel and DC universes were merged into one and the issue jumps between various eras of the teams hanging out at yearly get-togethers. This is the 80s/early 90s party.

I almost hate to ask, but did the JLI have any screen time in JLA/Avengers?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I almost hate to ask, but did the JLI have any screen time in JLA/Avengers?

Yes and no. I actually dragged my copy out to double-check because I loving love JLA/Avengers.

The majority of characterization beyond one-panel jokes and references were reserved for the most iconic members of both teams, so characters like Booster Gold and Fire didn't get any real screen time there. Two JLI members do show up during the second issue when both teams have their reserves called in during a Macguffin scavenger hunt but it doesn't go well Blue Beetle, Hawkman, and Black Canary get wrecked by Quicksilver and a steroid-powered Scarlet Witch (chaos magic is more powerful in the DC universe apparently so while she's there she gets super-charged). The third issue has the most JLI exposure, although it's almost exclusively as background fodder as guests of the various parties the League and Avengers have over the years while their universes are temporarily merged. Guy Gardner does get psychically bitch-slapped though, so there is that. Oh, and in issue one I spotted a Booster Gold Credit Card ad on the back of a magazine cover.

During the fourth issue, Busiek hit upon the great idea of using cosmic shenanigans to basically involve every single member of the JLA and Avengers (including various iterations of said characters like Mullet-Superman, Beard-Thor, etc.) and every enemy to have ever faced them in the climactic battle which is against Krona trying to access the creation of the universe on a ship made of Galactus' corpse, and while more "obscure" members of the JLI like Fire and Ice don't show up though you do see Red Rocket get slammed by an energy blast after he "cycles" into a place where the Hulk was just standing and taunting an enemy Power Girl, Martian Manhunter, Elongated Man, and maybe one or two others show up. Really the final fight is where Busiek finds an excuse to involve all the villains and members of the League/Avengers who would never otherwise fit in the story, as well as pay homage to isolated yet historic renditions of characters like Electric Superman.

So while JLA/Avengers definitely isn't kind to the JLI but it also doesn't ignore them-- they get far more respect than the Detroit-era league members to be sure. Their lack of inclusion doesn't come across as malicious though, JLA/Avengers is only 4 issues and it could have easily sustained 6-8 on the plot it had. What we ended up getting had to be quick and to the point, but thanks to Perez's dense art and Busiek's sharp writing it still feels very satisfying to fans of either team, and is probably the best Marvel/DC crossover that will ever be published.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 7, 2014

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Deadpool posted:

It does make sense though. If Ultron is born out of Jarvis as suspected and Vision is born of Ultron.

Kind of makes you wonder why Ultron will apparently sound like James Spader, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Billy Idle posted:

Kind of makes you wonder why Ultron will apparently sound like James Spader, though.

He found Tony's copy of Tuff Turf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC-hSBRsXMk

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's an evil robot. All you need to do is have its awakening scene have the voice modulate over some phone modem noises from Bettany into Spader's as an audio shorthand for the AI becoming corrupt.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Billy Idle posted:

With a face like his I always kinda imagined Ultron would sound like Cobra Commander screeching into a tin can.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Paul Bettany is already Jarvis so won't that be confusing? Or will he be doing motion capture and have the CG modeled on him like Dr. Manhatten. If he's just doing voice work I doubt the rumor, because it'd be stupid to have Jarvis and Vision be he same. But if they mo cap him it could distinguish him enough and make sense and as stated before use the excuse that vision is modeled on Jarvis.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Shawn posted:

Paul Bettany is already Jarvis so won't that be confusing? Or will he be doing motion capture and have the CG modeled on him like Dr. Manhatten. If he's just doing voice work I doubt the rumor, because it'd be stupid to have Jarvis and Vision be he same. But if they mo cap him it could distinguish him enough and make sense and as stated before use the excuse that vision is modeled on Jarvis.

You're under assumption that the AI placed in vision isn't JARVIS, which he probably is. He's gotta come from somewhere. If he's still born from Ultron, I'd suspect Ultron re-works JARVIS into Vision as a tool to use against Tony, which ends up backfiring etc etc etc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shawn posted:

I feel really stupid now because I never realized that Jarvis was Paul Bettany. I guess I never really thought about it before.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Nicki Minaj, please.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I bet the movie ends with Tony hiring an actual human butler and forcing him to be called Jarvis even though it's not his actual name

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dacap posted:

I bet the movie ends with Tony hiring an actual human butler and forcing him to be called Jarvis even though it's not his actual name

The did that in Ultimates with Tony's new butler after the first was murdered by the Black Widow.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That'd be funny as long as they do it with some signature RDJ charm:

"Can I call you Jarvis? I mean, I don't want to be weird, but I really want to call you Jarvis."

"It's ok sir."

"Really though if you're not cool with it it's ok. It's just one less new word I have to get used to."

"Very well sir."

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

With a face like his I always kinda imagined Ultron would sound like Cobra Commander screeching into a tin can.
Hey, me too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

That'd be funny as long as they do it with some signature RDJ charm:

"Can I call you Jarvis? I mean, I don't want to be weird, but I really want to call you Jarvis."

"It's ok sir."

"Really though if you're not cool with it it's ok. It's just one less new word I have to get used to."

"Very well sir."

I actually heard this in his voice :catstare:

• Locked thread