Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

An abandoned cat is living next to me and I was able to get it to trust me enough to allow me to pet it yesterday. The poor thing felt like it was all bone. I don't want to leave it outside in the cold and snow, would trapping it in a carrier and taking it in be a good idea? I'm not opposed to adopting it, at the very least getting it to a shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Drythe posted:

An abandoned cat is living next to me and I was able to get it to trust me enough to allow me to pet it yesterday. The poor thing felt like it was all bone. I don't want to leave it outside in the cold and snow, would trapping it in a carrier and taking it in be a good idea? I'm not opposed to adopting it, at the very least getting it to a shelter.

Is this a trick question? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Feed cat, take cat to shelter.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ema Nymton posted:

In real life is it even possible to get a cat to sleep with you like a teddy bear? My ideal fantasy cat would. How can I get a real live snuggle cat?

One of our cats used to sleep with either me or my father by wrapping her tail and all four paws around his or my forearm.

If you stirred too much or at all you'd feel a sudden piercing pain as 16 claws entered your skin, and when you opened your eyes a pair of half-lidded green eyes would be staring at you balefully, as if to say "what were you doing. no."

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I wake up after choking on my spit to find Pickles the cat asleep between my legs, with me mysteriously on my back. I think she somehow sneaks in as I'm halfway through a roll and then I can't continue and get stuck.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

My kitty also snuggles me in bed. She usually lays in the crook of my arm or, less endearingly, on my neck. She also asks to be picked up and sometimes jumps into my arms when she wants to be held. She's a good cat. :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pudding jumped onto my balls while I was sleeping today. BAD KITTY

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Hello, I have had a problem with my six-month-old puppy, Robocop. For a while, I decided it would be very funny if I trained him to pee and poop in the house. However, I got home from work today and discovered to my disgust that he peed and pooped on my living room carpet... again. I've just about had it with him. I've heard there is a little taser-like device that delivers a noticeable yet harmless shock to a misbehaving dog. Should I shock him every time he pees and poops in the house? Thanks for your help.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mick foley forever posted:

Hello, I have had a problem with my six-month-old puppy, Robocop. For a while, I decided it would be very funny if I trained him to pee and poop in the house. However, I got home from work today and discovered to my disgust that he peed and pooped on my living room carpet... again. I've just about had it with him. I've heard there is a little taser-like device that delivers a noticeable yet harmless shock to a misbehaving dog. Should I shock him every time he pees and poops in the house? Thanks for your help.

Trade your dog in for a cat.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Trade your dog in for a cat.

Oh whoops, I meant to say cat instead of dog. Mods, please fix. Thank you.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Rename your cat New Robocop to punish it and it will kill itself out of shame for being unable to live up to Paul Veorhoven's materpiece Robotcop

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Huntersoninski posted:

Pizza sleeps under the blankets with me during winter months. Let's me hold him like a Teddy bear and doesn't even mind if I roll over (just not on him obviously). Purrs all night.

E: evidence:

When I try that with my cats, they claw their way freedom. They prefer just sleeping next to me, but no hugs :(

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ema Nymton posted:

In real life is it even possible to get a cat to sleep with you like a teddy bear? My ideal fantasy cat would. How can I get a real live snuggle cat?

For like the first week I had my cat he would lay right next to me and let me cuddle him like that, but after I rolled over on top of him in my sleep for the third or fourth time he learned and now he sleeps next to my feet.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Ema Nymton posted:

When I try that with my cats, they claw their way freedom. They prefer just sleeping next to me, but no hugs :(

Me too. Decoy loses the loving plot if I try to cuddle him in bed at night (vertical hugs ONLY, bitch) and Hugo will only stand it until the point he accepts that yes, this is yet another night in a lifetime of nights that I won't let him suck on my face, then goes to sulk at the foot of the bed.

Come morning time when we're asleep though, it's all on. I sometimes wake up to Decoy snuggled in the crook of my arm, and Hugo on my head like a fluffy allergenic hat.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Mine are named after a lion, a president, and my daughter's favorite cat character (Simba, Teddy, and Nightstar) but I did used to have one named Spoon, does that count?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pepper wants very badly to sleep snuggled up cutely with me but instead she just climbs all over me forever occasionally lying down for 30 seconds while she tries to find a comfortable position and then hops off apologetically when she fails. Seriously, I tried napping on the couch once and she tried for 20 minutes straight. It's somehow never occurred to her that she can curl up next to me instead and she won't take any hints.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

So I was able to get the kitty inside and she (I think she, males don't have nipples right?) is now hiding under my bed. Will she stay there long? I'm worried when I have to go to class and work she won't eat or drink all day.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Drythe posted:

So I was able to get the kitty inside and she (I think she, males don't have nipples right?) is now hiding under my bed. Will she stay there long? I'm worried when I have to go to class and work she won't eat or drink all day.

She's actually probably more likely to eat and drink while you're not there making her nervous. You can stick her food and water bowl under the edge of the bed until she settles in a bit.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

She came out briefly to drink some water and went right back under.

Retro Ghost
Nov 10, 2011
So recently I obtained a cat, first one I've ever had since I was a kid. My friend stupidly got him and couldn't keep him, so I volunteered. I know black cats don't do so well at shelters. He's four months old and neutered, litterbox trained, and sweet as can be. He's sleeping in my arms right now! Named him Kaiju. He likes to lovingly knead my face while I'm asleep though, and while it's cute, I'm wondering if he'll grow out of it? He gets personally offended when I hide under the blankets.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I was watching My Cat From Hell this morning and couldn't help but notice something familiar...

(Is this old news? I haven't been active in PI in a long time) Which of you goons is it!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Yay! My landlord approved of me keeping her, guess I will have to schedule a time with a Vet soon. What are some basic supplies I will need, I have food and a litter box but both are cheap due to not knowing if I was going to keep her or take her to a shelter. I plan on buying some toys, nature's miracle, and some higher quality food tonight when I get off work.

Paul E. Waug
Feb 18, 2007

Drythe posted:

(I think she, males don't have nipples right?)
You might be in for a surprise. http://pets.thenest.com/male-cats-nipples-9562.html

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir

Drythe posted:

Yay! My landlord approved of me keeping her, guess I will have to schedule a time with a Vet soon. What are some basic supplies I will need, I have food and a litter box but both are cheap due to not knowing if I was going to keep her or take her to a shelter. I plan on buying some toys, nature's miracle, and some higher quality food tonight when I get off work.

A bed or some sort of furniture to scratch on and call her own. If she starts climbing everything, maybe something vertical like a cat shelf you attach to a window, or later down the line, a tree. My cat loves to climb up on top of the cabinets, and I can't really stop him, so I just put his bed and a few toys up there and it's his new hangout spot. Maybe get one of those cat scratcher loungers, something like this, to start off with and see if she takes to it. You can probably find ones that are a lot cheaper than that, and build your way up once you figure out what she prefers.

Grooming supplies like a brush and nail clippers and, if your vet suggests giving her a bath, cat shampoo. If she's been outdoors on her own for a while, there may be a good chance she'll need one.

Bitter apple spray or something similar in case she starts chewing on wires.

Congrats on your new cat! :)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Drythe posted:

She came out briefly to drink some water and went right back under.

My wife lost her cat of 15 years at the end of the year (I've been with her 10 years, so the cat was both of ours) and we recently just got a new one (2.5 years old).
When we took our new cat home, after he found the bed, he stayed under there all loving day. We heard him going around the apartment while we were asleep a couple times but while we were up, he was under that bed. We put his food and water right next to the bed so he never starved and after a week, we moved it closer to where we wanted it eventually to be, repeating until it was in its final location.

He's still a little skittish around us at times but he's much better. He doesn't spend any time at all under the bed now unless he really feels threatened and is getting a lot more playful.

Building trust with the cat is the hardest part, even if you have some of their trust to begin with. Let them do their own thing but make sure they have the necessities. Obviously you'll need to round them up for a vet visit but unless the vet thinks it's necessary, give them some time where you just let them roam and explore.

Here's a picture of the rear end in a top hat I ended up with. loving fatty got all exhausted after he pulled down a bunch of towels and beat them into submission for a couple hours. He basically has 4 teeth (his fangs) left so his tongue just sticks out sometimes, especially when he gets super excited about something. My wife and I knew it was fate when we learned he only had 4 teeth left as our previous cat only had one tooth left.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

Huntersoninski posted:

Pizza sleeps under the blankets with me during winter months. Let's me hold him like a Teddy bear and doesn't even mind if I roll over (just not on him obviously). Purrs all night.

E: evidence:

This was his favorite spot. Miss that guy.

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.
I have a concern with my cat. Ever since we got back from her last vet visit (1/24/14) she's done a 180 in personality. Up until then she was super playful, active, a bit of a jerk, aka typical cat. Now she's very.. sleepy. She sleeps all day and all night, with the exception of feeding time. She used to be a chow hound, and while she does still eat, feeding time has become much more quiet, sometimes she won't even eat her meal in one sitting. After food she likes to go straight to our bed and sleep. It's also hard to get her to play. Da bird doesn't get the same reaction, nor does her mint stick, toy mice, cat's meow, nothing.

She got a clean bill of health from the vet, though. Updated her vaccines and got a rabies shot. This was also kinda her first real vet visit. She's a couple months shy of 2 years old now, and before her only vet visit with us was when she got sick as a kitten, just an upper respiratory thing in 2012. We got her from a local cat rescue group who had her fixed/dewormed/vaccinated as a kitten. She was well behaved during the visit, very timid but no biting or fussing. Eager to get back into the carrier at the end.

Other than her changed behavior though, she seems fine. Still using the litter box regularly, eats her wet food. Has she just suddenly turned into a lazy cat? Did the vet visit traumatize her? I know I said she was a jerk before but I kinda miss it now, and I want to make sure she's okay! I tend to worry about things too much, but even my boyfriend has noticed and expressed concern.

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST
Apr 2, 2008

hello fence posted:

sleepy cat stuff

I'd give the vet a call and check if your cat is experiencing side effects from the vaccines. One of my cats was similarly lethargic for a few weeks after the exam, and it turned out that she had some prolonged soreness from the shots. She was prescribed pain/anti-inflammatories and was fine after taking them.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The kitty seems to be sneezing a lot. Is this from underneath my bed is dirty or from her catching a cold from being in the cold all this time. She doesn't seem to sneeze when I lure her out of the bed with food. Only when I get down to look at her and she notices me/wakes up.

Edit: I also understand you guy's aren't a vet, I just want to get an idea while I try to make an appointment.

Edit 2: I'm pretty sure it's dust because now I'm getting sneezy. gently caress I need to vacuum more

Drythe fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 8, 2014

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.

STEAK FOR BREAKFAST posted:

I'd give the vet a call and check if your cat is experiencing side effects from the vaccines. One of my cats was similarly lethargic for a few weeks after the exam, and it turned out that she had some prolonged soreness from the shots. She was prescribed pain/anti-inflammatories and was fine after taking them.

We ended up taking her in today, she had a slight fever and swollen lymph nodes, plus she was a little dehydrated. No obvious signs of what's wrong though, so we agreed to have some blood testing done which we should hear back on tomorrow. For the time being, she was given some fluids and we got some antibiotics for the next 10 days to see if that helps. Fingers crossed everything comes back clean!

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

hello fence posted:

We ended up taking her in today, she had a slight fever and swollen lymph nodes, plus she was a little dehydrated. No obvious signs of what's wrong though, so we agreed to have some blood testing done which we should hear back on tomorrow. For the time being, she was given some fluids and we got some antibiotics for the next 10 days to see if that helps. Fingers crossed everything comes back clean!

My boyfriend's 3 year old cat, who is currently living with me, is having the same mystery symptoms as yours. She had a vet visit about 2.5 weeks ago to take care of a heavy tapeworm load (super gross). She got her annual rabies vax, FELV vax (wasn't sure if it had been done earlier, but that disease sucks so I was erring on the side of caution), first FVRCP vax (wasn't sure about that one either), plus some revolution, droncit and some strongid.

She was totally fine for a few days after the visit, but then just got super lethargic. She was constipated for a day or two and had kind of a swollen abdomen, but that problem resolved itself. She's still sleeping a ton (like, a lot even for a cat) and it seems like the lethargy is just getting worse. She just lays down where ever you put her down. She completely stopped playing or walking around or greeting us at the door. I was home all day yesterday and she did not move from the bed for 18 hours, except when I picked her up and put her in front of her food. She barely gets up to eat or drink or poop on her own, but she is doing a little of all three of those activities. Her fur is kind of gross now but I've seen her grooming. A little.

So, this has been going on for awhile now, and I'm getting more and more worried about it, but she doesn't have any classical "sick" cat symptoms! I'm calling the vet when they open but are there any goon ideas in the meantime?

This is the kitty in question. Orange kitties with white socks are the best kitties.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
My cat, Gus, will drool uncontrollably whenever he's petted. My understanding is that basically what's happening is he's getting so happy he's forgetting to swallow while purring. And while I love to pet the little guy, there are times when I can't because I'm wearing a work shirt, or I just don't want to get drenched for various reasons. (He can put out a lot of saliva). It's to a point where he's no longer allowed to hang out on the pillow next to me when I sleep because if I pet him for even 15 seconds, he'll dump a small pool of saliva all over the pillow.

I've taken him to the vet and had his teeth cleaned recently, so I don't think it's a gum/mouth disease. Besides, he's been like this his whole life. Are there any ways to gently remind him while I'm petting him to swallow?

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

cov-hog posted:

She just lays down where ever you put her down. She completely stopped playing or walking around or greeting us at the door. I was home all day yesterday and she did not move from the bed for 18 hours, except when I picked her up and put her in front of her food. She barely gets up to eat or drink or poop on her own, but she is doing a little of all three of those activities. Her fur is kind of gross now but I've seen her grooming. A little.

These are classical sick cat symptoms. Have her seen.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013

Braki posted:

These are classical sick cat symptoms. Have her seen.

Yeah, I was able to get a vet appt like an hour later. Got some subq fluids, an appetite stimulant, some high calorie food and a blood test, the results of which should be available Monday... Her urine was really dark so they're worried about fatty liver which really sucks because I was making sure she was eating something, but I guess it wasn't enough. She ate the poo poo out of the high cal food as soon as I got her home, so that's good. Will monitor...

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.

cov-hog posted:

Yeah, I was able to get a vet appt like an hour later. Got some subq fluids, an appetite stimulant, some high calorie food and a blood test, the results of which should be available Monday... Her urine was really dark so they're worried about fatty liver which really sucks because I was making sure she was eating something, but I guess it wasn't enough. She ate the poo poo out of the high cal food as soon as I got her home, so that's good. Will monitor...

Oh gosh, I hope your kitty gets better! Sounds worse than ours right now.

As for us, the vet called back with some of her test results. So far, nothing is sticking out to the vet as a problem. The vet did mention there were some crystals though, and wants to keep an eye on that. So now we're just gonna wait for the rest of the results on Monday, and keep giving her the medicine we got. Cat was a little more perky last night after we got home, but after work today I've come home and she's about the same as before, mostly snoozin. Still eating on her own though, so I'm glad for that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

cov-hog posted:

They can get it even if they are eating, just not enough. Good sign she is eating right now. If she is not puking hopefully that's all it is and she will start feeling better. They might give you some supplements and a med if it is that.

cov-hog
Apr 13, 2013
She was doing really well yesterday -- perky and moving around and yelling at me like usual -- but she's quieting down today. She ate her can of food yesterday but isn't making a lot of progress on today's can, so it looks like I'll have to learn how to syringe-feed her... I hope she turns the corner soon! We'll get the blood test results tomorrow so I guess I'll just sit tight, let her rest and keep encouraging her to eat.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mandals posted:

My cat, Gus, will drool uncontrollably whenever he's petted. My understanding is that basically what's happening is he's getting so happy he's forgetting to swallow while purring. And while I love to pet the little guy, there are times when I can't because I'm wearing a work shirt, or I just don't want to get drenched for various reasons. (He can put out a lot of saliva). It's to a point where he's no longer allowed to hang out on the pillow next to me when I sleep because if I pet him for even 15 seconds, he'll dump a small pool of saliva all over the pillow.

I've taken him to the vet and had his teeth cleaned recently, so I don't think it's a gum/mouth disease. Besides, he's been like this his whole life. Are there any ways to gently remind him while I'm petting him to swallow?
My brother's cat is also a drooler when being pet, though not ridiculously so. He's got the FIV, but I don't think it's related; it's just a weird cat thing.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
Our cat, Popsicle, kind of hates me and it's bumming me out. This is long, feel free to skip.

Age: 6-9 (don't know how old he was when my wife picked him up from the ASPCA, this is the vet's estimate)
Sex: Male, neutered
How long have you had your cat? She's had him for 5 years, I've known him for about 1.5 years
What food do you use? Orijen dry in the mornings, EVO chicken+turkey at night
When was your last vet visit? 2-3 months ago, all good
Past Medical History: Food allergies (alopecia), FLUTD when he was on dry carby food, URI this november
Past Surgical History: Tooth extractions x 6 including upper canines 2/2 severe periodontal disease
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? 100% indoor
How many pets in your household? Just Lil' Pops
How many litter boxes do you have? One

When I met my wife, I also met her cat. He was loving, accepting, and seriously the best cat ever. Immediate belly flopping for me. Would sit on my lap, hang out with me, purring all day everyday, etc. etc. He would even come to the door when I got home and meow at me (fucker probably wanted some food).

About 4-5 months ago, there was a 1-2 punch of incidents (one my fault, the other not) that have painted me as this scary bad guy that causes him to either flat out ignore me sometimes scamper away anytime I get up to walk. He's so scared of me.

My fault: One day when he was darting back and forth from our bedroom to the living room (chasing some imaginary mouse? who knows) I decided I'd play a little prank on him. Huge mistake, and only now am I realizing that cats are not dogs. When he would run back into the room, I would hide under the covers, and jump out to scare him as he jumped on to the bed. I did this twice. Since then he was never the same with me.

Not my fault: He came down with a bad URI this last November, complete with a unilateral purulent ear infection. Because I was off work for a few days and his antibiotic dosing regimen was a few drops of cipro in his ears twice a day, I was the one that had to administer them. Already he hated me, but burritoing him, and getting him to lay still for long enough to get drops in and have them stay there without having him shake his head (thus expelling the drops) really upped the hatred of me.

This is bumming me out because I like to think I brought a lot of positive changes into this cat's life. Because of my medical background, I was the one that made the change from carby dry food to our current healthier regimen, I was the one who recognized his inflamed gums leading to the first vet visit ever in his 5 year career with my wife, I was the one who noticed his ear infection and other URI symptoms, I was the one who recognized that his food allergy was being caused by the treats we were giving him (later confirmed by vet).

How do I get him to love me again? I've tried the whole My-cat-from-hell-jackson-galaxy play with him using his favorite toy before being the one that feeds him (trying to build positive associations), but seriously after 6 weeks of this, there's been no improvement.

I just love the poo poo out of this little fucker, and I just want him to love me back. I guess if I knew that I've done irreparable damage regarding our relationship, I wouldn't take this so hard. But I keep wondering if there's something I can do to win him back.

Bonus pic of a post-furminator hair-do:

Totally Normal fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Totally Normal posted:

Our cat, Popsicle, kind of hates me and it's bumming me out. This is long, feel free to skip.

Age: 6-9 (don't know how old he was when my wife picked him up from the ASPCA, this is the vet's estimate)
Sex: Male, neutered
How long have you had your cat? She's had him for 5 years, I've known him for about 1.5 years
What food do you use? Orijen dry in the mornings, EVO chicken+turkey at night
When was your last vet visit? 2-3 months ago, all good
Past Medical History: Food allergies (alopecia), FLUTD when he was on dry carby food, URI this november
Past Surgical History: Tooth extractions x 6 including upper canines 2/2 severe periodontal disease
Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? 100% indoor
How many pets in your household? Just Lil' Pops
How many litter boxes do you have? One

When I met my wife, I also met her cat. He was loving, accepting, and seriously the best cat ever. Immediate belly flopping for me. Would sit on my lap, hang out with me, purring all day everyday, etc. etc. He would even come to the door when I got home and meow at me (fucker probably wanted some food).

About 4-5 months ago, there was a 1-2 punch of incidents (one my fault, the other not) that have painted me as this scary bad guy that causes him to either flat out ignore me sometimes scamper away anytime I get up to walk. He's so scared of me.

My fault: One day when he was darting back and forth from our bedroom to the living room (chasing some imaginary mouse? who knows) I decided I'd play a little prank on him. Huge mistake, and only now am I realizing that cats are not dogs. When he would run back into the room, I would hide under the covers, and jump out to scare him as he jumped on to the bed. I did this twice. Since then he was never the same with me.

Not my fault: He came down with a bad URI this last November, complete with a unilateral purulent ear infection. Because I was off work for a few days and his antibiotic dosing regimen was a few drops of cipro in his ears twice a day, I was the one that had to administer them. Already he hated me, but burritoing him, and getting him to lay still for long enough to get drops in and have them stay there without having him shake his head (thus expelling the drops) really upped the hatred of me.

This is bumming me out because I like to think I brought a lot of positive changes into this cat's life. Because of my medical background, I was the one that made the change from carby dry food to our current healthier regimen, I was the one who recognized his inflamed gums leading to the first vet visit ever in his 5 year career with my wife, I was the one who noticed his ear infection and other URI symptoms, I was the one who recognized that his food allergy was being caused by the treats we were giving him (later confirmed by vet).

How do I get him to love me again? I've tried the whole My-cat-from-hell-jackson-galaxy play with him using his favorite toy before being the one that feeds him (trying to build positive associations), but seriously after 6 weeks of this, there's been no improvement.

I just love the poo poo out of this little fucker, and I just want him to love me back. I guess if I knew that I've done irreparable damage regarding our relationship, I wouldn't take this so hard. But I keep wondering if there's something I can do to win him back.

Bonus pic of a post-furminator hair-do:

Hey, I've had a somewhat similar problem with our cat. I used to be too hyperactive with him around and he started becoming scared/angry of me. I was, just like you, wondering how I could ever make him like me again. While I was trying to think of things to do I left him alone and only petted/tickled him once in a while.

After 3 weeks or so, he started to act more relaxed, and purred again when I petted him. He also started to sit on my lap again. Now everything is fine again, and he's one loveable little guy.

The moral of the story is, I think you need to leave him alone for a while. Just like me, he might be scared of you because of what you did. He has to see that you mean no harm to him (Sit next/close to him without touching him) and are a good human (Pet him sometimes). I've also noticed our cat started to love my girlfriend because she's feeding him (She isn't doing much else with him), so feeding him might help your relationship with yours too.

Note that this is just my unprofessional advise, it worked for me and I hope it'll help you too.