Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kuhmondo posted:

It says your FC is incorrect. I'll take the Dratini though.

I'm stupid and pasted part of your FC and mine. :downs:

Actual FC should be: 3067-6082-2425

Any specific name you want on the dratini? Right now it's name is 5IV SDef20.

e: It doesn't have Pokerus but in the off chance you need a carrier I can infect it in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aha, that's the answer I was looking for. Thanks Hammer!

edit: drat, ou monotype is really fun. beating a team you have no business beating feels really good.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-85363530

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 7, 2014

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

IS there anyone who has a non-american Ditto they're willing to trade? It's not for me, but a teacher friend of mine who has a special needs kid who did fantastically well in one of his classes. He wants to give him a shiny pokemon for a graduation present and there's something about a Masuda method. I don't really play Pokemon anymore, so I'm sure you guys would know more about that than I would.

Please send me a PM or email (username@gmail.com) if you can help and need his friend code or whatnot.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm stupid and pasted part of your FC and mine. :downs:

Actual FC should be: 3067-6082-2425

Any specific name you want on the dratini? Right now it's name is 5IV SDef20.

e: It doesn't have Pokerus but in the off chance you need a carrier I can infect it in a bit.

Nah I don't need a nickname, something witty or funny would be cool or just Dratini. I'm going on right now. Pokerus isn't a problem.

edit: Toss me a trade request when you're ready.
edit 2: Also who is Locke in game? I can't remember if I gave you a Ditto already or if you wanna trade for something else, sorry. Again, If you have Steam then you guys can talk to me on there. It's hard to keep track who I traded so far.

As of this moment I have 10 more perfect Dittos for trade. I still need Mewtwonite X, Charizardite X, Pinsirite, and Manectrite.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198068372589/

Kuhmondo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 7, 2014

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kuhmondo posted:

Alright, I have 26 6IV Dittos up for grabs. Only some of them are shiny because I hosed up editing like 3/4 of them and forgot to generate the shinyID. Oh and the shiny ones are the original owner's; a guy named Kei (bless you Japanese dude). The only things i'm looking for are a random Xerneas, Phione, and X exclusive stones (Pinsir, Tyranitar(!!!!), mewtwo X(!!!!), and Manectric). If you don't want to spare a stone then any 5iv breeding rejects would be dandy. My FC is already in the friendfari spreadsheet, but i'll list it anyways for you lazy bastards. Or if you just really want a Ditto just give me trade fodder, i'm more than glad to spread the joy.

Reaching me on Steam works out better since it's pretty immediate.

FC: 3539-9848-4121
Ign: Edmond
Steam: themond

Hey, I just tried to trade you for one of your dittos, but you probably didn't remember that I wanted that. Also I cant find any 5IV female Froakies, so I've got a 6IV one I'll trade you instead?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
And so begins my Wonderlocke run. Fennekin flew off to be replaced by a level 7 Farfetch'd, ran into a Weedle that I traded for a level 1 Japanese Eevee with Covet.

God I wish I could nickname them, they'll just get nicknamed in my head I guess.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kuhmondo posted:

As of this moment I have 10 more perfect Dittos for trade. I still need Mewtwonite X, Charizardite X, Pinsirite, and Manectrite.

Ah, what the heck, I'll take a ditto too. I'm not above making the breeding process a little easier on myself. I have Y, so I can't get you any of those stones, but I do have another perfect 5IV scraggy I could give ya.

0473 - 7914 - 2690 Paul

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Maxmaps posted:

ran into a Weedle that I traded for a level 1 Japanese Eevee with Covet.

God I wish I could nickname them, they'll just get nicknamed in my head I guess.

Easy, just sacrifice it to the God of Love, Impostor Ditto.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Man I wish pokemon bank didn't come out right before Bravely Default did :negative:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 7, 2014

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Alright, I have 26 6IV Dittos up for grabs. Only some of them are shiny because I hosed up editing like 3/4 of them and forgot to generate the shinyID. Oh and the shiny ones are the original owner's; a guy named Kei (bless you Japanese dude). The only things i'm looking for are a random Xerneas, Phione, and X exclusive stones (Pinsir, Tyranitar(!!!!), mewtwo X(!!!!), and Manectric). If you don't want to spare a stone then any 5iv breeding rejects would be dandy. My FC is already in the friendfari spreadsheet, but i'll list it anyways for you lazy bastards. Or if you just really want a Ditto just give me trade fodder, i'm more than glad to spread the joy.

Reaching me on Steam works out better since it's pretty immediate.

FC: 3539-9848-4121
Ign: Edmond
Steam: themond

I have a perfect 5 IV adamant mudkip with Avalanche and Curse egg moves if that would be acceptable.

0619-3552-4140

(Edit: A steam link to your profile would make it a lot easier to add you on steam)

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 7, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zoness posted:

Man I wish pokemon bank didn't come out right before Bravely Default did :negative:

I'm trying to hold back on buying that since I still need to go finish EO4 but I'm sorely tempted to just pick it up and lose most of my weekend playing it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Got my Celebi! It has a 0iv in special defense and a speed lowering nature. :/ Well, anyone have an idea how I can get a Meloetta and Genesect? I missed whatever event they were distributed in.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What the gently caress is happening right now...?

A japanese passerby just challenged me to a battle. I passed two swords dances to a pinsir and swept him 6-0.

He challenged me to a rematch, I passed a swords dance and an iron defense to my scrafty and swept him 6-0.

I offered to trade with him, hoping to give him a venipede for his trouble.

We trade a bunch of random pokemon, during which he trades me an abomasnow with abomasnowite for some pupitar.

I realize it has the mega stone, and offer it back to him. he trades me his charizard with charizardite X for it.

I am so even I don't what know

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
My guess would be it was someone actually within this game's normal age demographic.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

But it's not like I was trying to con him or anything! He just kind of DID that. He refused other trades I offered him, so it's not like he didn't know how.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hammerite posted:

Shininess of egg pokemon is completely unrelated to shininess of parents.

That. Is super lame. You'd think this would make sense to increase shiny chance by having two parents be shiny or something. It'd take out a lot of the frustration and timesink.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
HNNNG Just hit 1691 and the server is restarting.

I just know I'm going to drop like a rock now. Also I still have to get 1400 on the suspect ladder and 2 of my main threats are suspected :v:.

I should really learn how to play in the (very likely) post-lucarionite environment. Fairwell, sweet jackal prince.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So, I never actually received the shiny Johto runners during that Gamestop promo after doing the Mystery Gift. I'm standing right in front of the delivery man in Soul Silver and want to know if I can soft reset to at least try for a good nature.

EDIT: Oh, the nature is set. But can I at least do it to try to get a 31 IV in speed?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Night Blade posted:

https://www.pokemon-gl.com

Edit: Nevermind, I think I misread something.

Says the Dream World stuff and Rating Battles are shut down, but Free Battle and the GTS will continue to be available indefinitely. Even if the Gen 5 GTS were to be shut down, that'd only affect the official GTS servers; spoofed GTSes and Pokecheck would still work just fine. Also, it's dated January 14th, not February 14th.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Blhue posted:

My guess would be it was someone actually within this game's normal age demographic.

I think you fail to understand the real demographics for current Pokemon games, with all of the internet support and features in the newer games just as many young adults are playing as what you would probably consider the game's "normal demographic".

You can see the charts for the older games here, though they are from 2010 I would imagine the trend has only continued to shift in the same direction or at the very least stay roughly the same.

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)
Wait wait I can prove I'm not a nerd *shuffles papers* Just look at these charts!

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I never claimed I wasn't a nerd, just that a lot of adults play Pokemon, I think you're projecting or... something.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That. Is super lame. You'd think this would make sense to increase shiny chance by having two parents be shiny or something. It'd take out a lot of the frustration and timesink.

This isn't Gen II you know, when shininess was based on IVs, so imagine how easy it would be now with Destiny Knot and the Power items.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I feel bad using two legendaries in OU but so far my team feels right. Please let me know if there are any weaknesses I'm not seeing.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-85437043
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-85438091

I probably would have lost if this guy chose things better:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-85455227

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 7, 2014

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

This one was close:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotsingles-85449443

I have to brush up on my speed tiers. :downs:

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

raverrn posted:

IS there anyone who has a non-american Ditto they're willing to trade? It's not for me, but a teacher friend of mine who has a special needs kid who did fantastically well in one of his classes. He wants to give him a shiny pokemon for a graduation present and there's something about a Masuda method. I don't really play Pokemon anymore, so I'm sure you guys would know more about that than I would.

Please send me a PM or email (username@gmail.com) if you can help and need his friend code or whatnot.

I can give him a shiny Oddish if he wants to skip all the egg hatching he'd have to do to (even with the Masuda Method). I found one back in Gen III and used the cloning glitch in Emerald to make several more.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012
I made suspect reqs. If anyone else wants a fun team to make a push for it this was the team I used:

http://pastebin.com/2mkX57HQ

The team has some trouble with Aegislash but it did great on the regular OU ladder since it has such a good matchup vs. all the suspects. It did a lot worse on the suspect ladder (an Aegislash on every team, god) but I managed to hobble through. Either way rain is really fun to play and a lot of people just don't seem to know how to play against it.

Some replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-84573174 Every hyper offense team on the ladder is Deoxys-D/Bisharp/MegaPinsir/three fillers
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-82539996 I think this guy was #5 in the ladder at the time
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-84613184 Prankster Swagger is the dumbest thing in this or any other game, ever

I'm probably voting no ban on all three suspects (for what it's worth)

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Ignite Memories posted:

But it's not like I was trying to con him or anything! He just kind of DID that. He refused other trades I offered him, so it's not like he didn't know how.

Unless he asks for a trade back consider yourself thankful and move on I guess?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I posted this in the trade thread, but I'd thought I'd mention it here to Spiffster and the thread in general:

Spiffster posted:

That'll do it! As soon as I can get it transfered through 4 generations I'll trade you. It takes a bit... hopefully it won't lock me out much longer *curse you 6 per day limit on gen III to gen IV :argh:
There's actually a way around that Pal Park limit, provided you have two gen III games:

Bulbapedia posted:

Despite the game having settings in place to restrict the amount of Pokémon migrated in a single day, these restrictions can be avoided and an infinite number of Pokémon transferred into Generation IV. If, once a Catching Show has been completed, the player turns off the game system and changes the date on the Nintendo DS to show one day later, and inserts a second Generation III game, he or she will be instructed to reset the time on the DS. This will prevent migration from the second game, but allow the original game—that has already had six Pokémon transferred—to send Pokémon into Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum.
This makes transferring from Gen III so much loving easier.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's honestly not that bad if you're MMing/Horde/Safari hunting with shiny charm stacking. I've gotten a shiny male Espurr with HA in 72 eggs, a 5IV Perfect shiny Absol in 160 eggs, and a shiny Swablu in 20 horde encounters.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

The White Dragon posted:

Easy, just sacrifice it to the God of Love, Impostor Ditto.

I... hadn't even considered that. I've been super lucky so far with every trade being roughly around the levels of my mons. So far team's Honedge, Riolu, Skiddo, Eevee, Farfetch'd and... a level 30 Ponyta. Was unsure on what to do with it, thinking I should maybe just retrade til I get something that is at most 5 levels over my highest mon, but just rebreeding them all and training them back to whopping level 11 should take no time with the exp share.

Edit: I'll just need to beg the GF to breed them for me and just pass me the eggs. This could work!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Can you get new shinies by breeding shinies?

Do not toy with me.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Night Blade posted:

Do not toy with me.

Yeah, Shinyness of parents has no bearing on shinyness of offspring. Shinies would be waaaaay more common if you could just massbreed them.

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012

Kuhmondo posted:

edit: Toss me a trade request when you're ready.
edit 2: Also who is Locke in game? I can't remember if I gave you a Ditto already or if you wanna trade for something else, sorry. Again, If you have Steam then you guys can talk to me on there. It's hard to keep track who I traded so far.

Hello there. I think I'll be online for the next couple of hours, so I guess I'm ready.

My in-game name is Hiroki.

FC: 2964 - 9834 - 5665

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Kuhmondo posted:

I got one, thanks!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

planetarial posted:

It's honestly not that bad if you're MMing/Horde/Safari hunting with shiny charm stacking. I've gotten a shiny male Espurr with HA in 72 eggs, a 5IV Perfect shiny Absol in 160 eggs, and a shiny Swablu in 20 horde encounters.

I saw a figure of 1 in 440 being quoted for Masuda Method + Shiny Charm in XY, but I'm not sure where it came from. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Hammerite posted:

I saw a figure of 1 in 440 being quoted for Masuda Method + Shiny Charm in XY, but I'm not sure where it came from. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Over two thousand eggs with a japanese Milotic and a shiny charm here presented as evidence to call bullshit. It's annecdotal, I know.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hammerite posted:

You probably know how they roll shininess: it generates a value between 1 and 65535. In older gens, a 'mon was shiny if the value was 1-8, but in Gen 6 it's shiny if the value is 1-16. The base shiny rate is therefore 16/65535 => 1/4095.9.

When you get the egg, if the value isn't 1-16 and you're using the Masuda Method, it rerolls it up to five extra times, resulting in an effective shiny rate of 1/682.6.

I'm not sure how many extra rolls the Shiny Charm gives you, but the closest you can get to 440 is if it gives you a whole three extra rolls, which would bring your odds to 144/65535 => 1/455.1. I'm pretty sure in Gen 5, it just gave one extra roll, though, so if that's still the case here, Masuda Method + Shiny Charm would give you 112/65535 => 1/585.1.

When you've hatched nearly 3000 eggs trying to get a shiny Honedge, you start to really focus on the math of how many more you'll need to hatch before you statistically HAVE to get one.

v Well of course but eventually it'll get to the point where if I have over a 99.99% chance to have gotten one and I'll statistically be more likely than not to.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 7, 2014

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

The White Dragon posted:

When you've hatched nearly 3000 eggs trying to get a shiny Honedge, you start to really focus on the math of how many more you'll need to hatch before you statistically HAVE to get one.
Unfortunately, the answer is infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lhet posted:

Unfortunately, the answer is never.

Gonna choose 95% arbitrarily as the P(X>=1) goal threshold here and find that probability in binomial trials.

In this case the number is about 1800 for a 1/585 chance. Which is to say you have a 95% chance of having at least one shiny in 1800 hatchings given that each hatching has a 1/585 chance of being shiny.

• Locked thread