Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm not convinced Wolf even tries. The thing currently on my mind is that clip that Joementum posted a few days ago where Wolf is repeatedly pressing Mitt Romney about running again even as Mitt is saying "No. No. No."

Yeah, Anderson Cooper seems okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Homophobes have it SO ROUGH here in the US now, going through painful withdrawel symptoms as they find they can't openly bash gays as much as they used to without the media turning on them with the frenzy of starved piranhas on a nutsack slathered in barbecue sauce. What with all the people thinking natural disasters might not ACTUALLY be caused by two men who've been a couple for decades being allowed legal status to visit one another in the hospital if one of them falls ill, it's tough out here for a homophobe to get their fix of pure uncut hate injected into their eyeballs.

Fortunately, there's help on the way from Russia with non-gay love, with this guy helpfully smuggling his country's chief export of homophobia in his rectum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICuaHMQBZkE

But wait! He ALSO has important, relevant, and totally-not-insane things to say about 9/11 and the JFK assassination!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz9uAU4lcns

I presume that the American flag back there is meant for wiping his rear end with after he gets done making GBS threads out his homophobia on this country's freedom of speech and tolerance/protection of minorities.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 7, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

For some reason I've found myself watching more MSNBC lately, probably because the TV in my bedroom is analogue and it loses more and more channels every day so I just settle on something when I go to bed, but I'll be damned if they're not becoming exactly what FOX says they are. Every night they go on for literally hours about Chris Christie, especially Maddow, who I used to enjoy. Now, I get it's A story, but it's not the ONLY story. It's exactly like what FOX does with Bengahzi.

Except Bridgegate is, you know, real?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

S.E. Cupp sounds so dumb and shrill when she's talking about "job creators" and heckling Robert Reich here.

What does it say about S.E. Cupp's fanbase when these are the top autofill results for her?

The "S" stands for "Sipp" and nobody can tell me otherwise.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Idran posted:

And more specifically, just for one example, there is a homeopathic asthma inhaler on the market. Someone using that could potentially end up dead if they get hit with a severe attack.

Anyone selling that should go to prison.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spacedad posted:

Something with actual relevance to this thread, but with utter irrelevance to anyone with a functioning brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQyB6vvLZA

Nevermind the abuse that palestinians are already receiving which prompted this boycott, because they apparently don't count or something.

Taking a big ol' dump on the memory of the holocaust to defend bigotry and human rights abuse in the modern day takes a special kind of callous evil.

Edit: Also I love the video thumbnail that looks like Beck is the narcissistic high priest of a clandestine news cult.

What the gently caress is going on with his outfit? I'll tell you what's going on with it, the exact same thing that's going on with his opinions. One of these days Beck's going to show up for work with a pair of seersucker trousers with a waist tailored up to the nipples and fastened to brown suspenders with yellow buttons six inches in diameter and nobody is going to say poo poo because disagreeing with Beck means you don't work for him anymore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BiggerBoat posted:

For some reason I've found myself watching more MSNBC lately, probably because the TV in my bedroom is analogue and it loses more and more channels every day so I just settle on something when I go to bed, but I'll be damned if they're not becoming exactly what FOX says they are. Every night they go on for literally hours about Chris Christie, especially Maddow, who I used to enjoy. Now, I get it's A story, but it's not the ONLY story. It's exactly like what FOX does with Bengahzi.

That's why I usually just tune in for one hour. If it's reasonably important and not new, they'll cover it within that hour.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Re: Maddow and The bridge scandal.
I didn't see her show last night but the last two before were basically about figuring out that the Feds had subpoenaed Chritie's Office and Campaign Organization but not the chief players in the bridge issue which seems to indicate that the Federal investigation going on is probably about misuse of the Sandy relief funds, not the bridge lane closing.
My point is the story is evolving, it's not really the same thing over and over.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I think the thing that makes it feel monotonous is that she gives a pretty huge recap about it most of the time she talks about it. She does eventually give new information, but it can be kind of grating if you listen/watch every day. I understand that it's because she wants to bring people up to speed who aren't watching every day or are just tuning in for the first time. There's no real way to get around that, I think. I do understand where people are coming from on it seeming a bit monotonous.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

And crown thy good with brotherhood (note: only applies to brothers (subnote: not those ones) who are already here, look like you and are speaking english primarily) from sea to shining seaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

My question to them right now is: Exactly how many people do you personally know who don't know any english and are actively refusing to learn any?....and if they ARE doing that, how would you know? Their children? And what language did they tell that to you in? And do you need some time to think about that one or can you gently caress off now?
AFAIK it's basically some first-generation immigrants, especially those who are older and/or came here as refugees (or illegally), who don't speak English. Otherwise there's a near-universal pattern where the second generation grows up speaking English and some of their family's language, and the third generation mostly only knows English. The exceptions are the communities that really isolate themselves, like the enclaves of orthodox Jews, and conservatives don't seem too interested in the legitimate problems in those communities, much less their failure to assimilate.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Guilty Spork posted:

AFAIK it's basically some first-generation immigrants, especially those who are older and/or came here as refugees (or illegally), who don't speak English. Otherwise there's a near-universal pattern where the second generation grows up speaking English and some of their family's language, and the third generation mostly only knows English. The exceptions are the communities that really isolate themselves, like the enclaves of orthodox Jews, and conservatives don't seem too interested in the legitimate problems in those communities, much less their failure to assimilate.

Speaking as a second generation immigrant living in a city full of first and second generation immigrants (Miami, Cuban parents), this is absolutely true. And thats taking into consideration that the communities that have taken root in Miami (Cuban, Colombian, Venezuelan, Nicaraguan, ect) seem to (in my experience) place more emphasis on their kids (ie Second gen) knowing their language than some other Hispanic groups. In LA and Chicago and NY, all of the people I met who were like me (children of hispanic immigrants) could barely speak Spanish and only understood basic conversational Spanish. Even my cousins who live there (whose parents are Cuban) don't speak Spanish very well.

These idiots don't realize that kids raised here are *shock* American as gently caress (including myself) even if we DO speak the language of our parents. We are much more comfortable speaking English.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ErIog posted:

I think the thing that makes it feel monotonous is that she gives a pretty huge recap about it most of the time she talks about it. She does eventually give new information, but it can be kind of grating if you listen/watch every day. I understand that it's because she wants to bring people up to speed who aren't watching every day or are just tuning in for the first time. There's no real way to get around that, I think. I do understand where people are coming from on it seeming a bit monotonous.

This is why I think CNN's not wrong when they say they want to focus on entertainment rather than pure news. Television is pretty terrible for news delivery, and its primary advantage (immediacy) had been made obsolete by the internet and social media. Like, you can watch a show for an hour and learn a few news stories, in the order that the news program determines and with only the information they choose to share in that hour. An online article can link to more information or even just provide an introductory paragraph that you can skip if you don't need it; tv news requires that either one set of viewers sits through redundant information, or another set of viewers has no idea what's going on. The depth of information is much shallower than what you'd get from a well-written article with a few supplemental links. It's a very inefficient way to share the news.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Speaking as a second generation immigrant living in a city full of first and second generation immigrants (Miami, Cuban parents), this is absolutely true. And thats taking into consideration that the communities that have taken root in Miami (Cuban, Colombian, Venezuelan, Nicaraguan, ect) seem to (in my experience) place more emphasis on their kids (ie Second gen) knowing their language than some other Hispanic groups. In LA and Chicago and NY, all of the people I met who were like me (children of hispanic immigrants) could barely speak Spanish and only understood basic conversational Spanish. Even my cousins who live there (whose parents are Cuban) don't speak Spanish very well.

These idiots don't realize that kids raised here are *shock* American as gently caress (including myself) even if we DO speak the language of our parents. We are much more comfortable speaking English.

Wasn't there some statistic floating around a couple years ago (when the DREAM Act was in the news) showing that virtually all immigrant families are English-primary by the second generation? I seem to remember something like that.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

Wasn't there some statistic floating around a couple years ago (when the DREAM Act was in the news) showing that virtually all immigrant families are English-primary by the second generation? I seem to remember something like that.

Living in Texas, I can tell you that from my personal experience this is true. I have for many years been involved in youth sports and I have coached young children who act as translators for their parents during team meetings. Just take the Castro brothers as an example; they are hailed as the future of Democratic hispanic outreach in Texas and yet, and I think I'm right about this, neither one speaks spanish as their primary language. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong about the Castros.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
One thing that Americans are really silly about is classifying people who are descended from Hispanics (but where born and raised here) in the same group as those that are actually FROM Hispanic countries.

To many Americans, they are both "Hispanic" (or Latin or Latino or whatever).

I mean, listen to what you just said, "I believe the Castro brother's primary language is English", why is that even a question?? Of course it is, they were born and raised in the United States. Very very few people are born and raised in the United States and don't speak English as their first language. It's just absurd.

Furthermore, Julian Castro's Spanish is horrible (see: my previous post)

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

One thing that Americans are really silly about is classifying people who are descended from Hispanics (but where born and raised here) in the same group as those that are actually FROM Hispanic countries.

To many Americans, they are both "Hispanic" (or Latin or Latino or whatever).

I mean, listen to what you just said, "I believe the Castro brother's primary language is English", why is that even a question?? Of course it is, they were born and raised in the United States. Very very few people are born and raised in the United States and don't speak English as their first language. It's just absurd.

Furthermore, Julian Castro's Spanish is horrible (see: my previous post)

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but their is a huge difference between the Cuban/hispanic community in Florida and the Mexican/Central American community in Texas and the Southwest. First off, they are treated differently by our Federal government; the Cuban community in Florida is lauded for their heroics in escaping evil communism and the hispanics in Texas are poo poo on for coming here for free stuff and to ruin our way of life. And yes, there are pockets of immigrants in Texas where english is not a primary language and the children still struggle with it and suffer greatly in public schools because god forbid that Texas pay for decent public education for bilingual students. So yeah, I appreciate and agree with your anecdotal evidence of second generation english proficiency but at the same time, you can go to San Antonio and Austin and El Paso and hundreds of other places here in Texas and find children that were born here and do not speak English as a primary language.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
The Wall Street Journal knows who the GOP answers to, and it sure as hell isn't the orange dude.

Wall Street Journal posted:

So great is the House GOP fear of a talk-radio backlash that it won't even pass smaller bills that 75% of Republicans agree on. There will be nothing to codify the legal status of children of illegal immigrants who have lived here for decades. And no expanded green cards for foreign graduates of U.S. colleges, a policy Mitt Romney endorsed. And no cleaning up the work-visa morass that has obliged U.S. farmers to hire illegals to harvest their crops.
Some Republicans who do want to vote for immigration reform say they don't want to divide the party over such a contentious issue in an election year. Better to take this up in 2015, they say. But the opponents will raise the same furor whenever it comes up, and Democrats will be less likely to compromise figuring they can use the issue to drive minority voter turnout in 2016.

Seems like the rebranding isn't going too well if the Wall Street Journal of all publications is telling them to wake the gently caress up if they ever want to be elected again.

Source.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

radical meme posted:

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you but their is a huge difference between the Cuban/hispanic community in Florida and the Mexican/Central American community in Texas and the Southwest. First off, they are treated differently by our Federal government; the Cuban community in Florida is lauded for their heroics in escaping evil communism and the hispanics in Texas are poo poo on for coming here for free stuff and to ruin our way of life. And yes, there are pockets of immigrants in Texas where english is not a primary language and the children still struggle with it and suffer greatly in public schools because god forbid that Texas pay for decent public education for bilingual students. So yeah, I appreciate and agree with your anecdotal evidence of second generation english proficiency but at the same time, you can go to San Antonio and Austin and El Paso and hundreds of other places here in Texas and find children that were born here and do not speak English as a primary language.

Absolutely true about the beginning of your post (although I don't see how its relevant). Although I've been around Texas, I've never encountered that which you speak of (kids born here who don't soeak English as their first language). I don't doubt that its true, it just seems to me to be very rare.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Yeah as a Miamian, I've definitely seen the immigrant language assimilation thing. I've even seen it first-hand with coworkers. One (a 2nd-gen Cuban) said his parents talk exclusively in Spanish, while his son is sorta-struggling in Spanish class, and he himself spoke a mix of both. It's a pretty common occurrence in other Hispanic groups from what I see/have been told.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Good Citizen posted:

Most everyone else watches new media or local news and only tunes in when there's some kind of developing story like a mass shooting.

Oddly enough, that's all my local news is. Shootings, fires and weather. A WHOLE lot of weather. I live in Florida. Are other local news casts like this; Robbery, shooting, car wreck, fire...now here's 10 minutes of weather, traffic and a little sports followed by a cute baby or animal?

beatlegs posted:

Except Bridgegate is, you know, real?

I get that. I said that. I just said it wasn't the only REAL story out there and MSNBC did it again last night. That's all I heard. Ran that poo poo into the loving ground.

Maybe Bengahzi was a bad comparison so sub that out with "Obamacare" if it helps. My point was that they're becoming what FOX says they've always been, at least on the night time shows.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 7, 2014

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tender Bender posted:

This is why I think CNN's not wrong when they say they want to focus on entertainment rather than pure news. Television is pretty terrible for news delivery, and its primary advantage (immediacy) had been made obsolete by the internet and social media. Like, you can watch a show for an hour and learn a few news stories, in the order that the news program determines and with only the information they choose to share in that hour. An online article can link to more information or even just provide an introductory paragraph that you can skip if you don't need it; tv news requires that either one set of viewers sits through redundant information, or another set of viewers has no idea what's going on. The depth of information is much shallower than what you'd get from a well-written article with a few supplemental links. It's a very inefficient way to share the news.

But that's the issue, it blurs the line and distorts the facts based on whatever it's trying to present. The big 3's National Newscasts don't have bias, there aren't talking heads. It's here's the facts and then at the end of the week, a little fluff piece to make you feel good. You don't have Brian Williams inserting his opinion into the dialogue.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Oddly enough, that's all my local news is. Shootings, fires and weather. A WHOLE lot of weather. I live in Florida. Are other local news casts like this; Robbery, shooting, car wreck, fire...now here's 10 minutes of weather, traffic and a little sports followed by a cute baby or animal?

Conflict gets viewership, and all things being equal, most local news programs will lead with the most ridiculously violent thing they can, regardless of how few people are affected or if it's a one-off thing. People love trainwrecks, and as a bonus, they're cheap to cover and discuss. Boston does the same thing, but in the winter it seems to be a lot more related to weather-disasters. Now and again there'll be a fire in Worcester or a robbery here and there. If you get lucky, you might get an "investigative" piece about how a Fire Chief is parking in handicapped spaces or some poo poo, but even that garbage costs more money than just watching bad poo poo happen to people.

There's a little bit of a slant on some stories, most noticably at the Fox affiliate (who - surprise, surprise - leans conservative by way of everyone's dad), and I'd say most local news tends to be varying degrees of conservative by nature because slanting in such a manner assists in emphasizing conflict. It's also comforting to the old people watching.

I'm pretty sure the thread has had long discussions on the different sort of awful you get on a local news level vs. national news, and I think the lack of budget/need for conflict/old-rear end viewing demographic explain the majority of reasoning behind what you end up getting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^Thanks for that^^^

I haven't traveled in some time and am genuinely curious how much time other markets devote to weather, because gently caress. That's almost all the news is here.

I'm currently making my way through Joe Muto's book, "An Atheist in the Fox Hole" and it's pretty good so far, even though his writing and sense of humor are on the juvenile side of things. It feels real. I was surprised to learn it was only recently published and had figured it'd been around for a while but then again that would explain why FOX hasn't gotten around to crucifying him yet and made his name a household word yet.

Are there any right wing books along these lines? Like "CNN: The Cowardly News Network; Inside the Liberal Agenda"? or "MSNBC: Must Skew News Beyond Conservatism" that have been written? Because I bet they're coming.

Where's Hunter S. Thompson now that we really need him?

He's dead. I know.

His last volume of letters is supposedly finally coming out March 1st. It's called "The Mutineer". I'm anxious to read his thoughts on the Bush years.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BiggerBoat posted:

Oddly enough, that's all my local news is. Shootings, fires and weather. A WHOLE lot of weather. I live in Florida. Are other local news casts like this; Robbery, shooting, car wreck, fire...now here's 10 minutes of weather, traffic and a little sports followed by a cute baby or animal

In eastern NC the opener is always the black people/methed out white people perp walk, quick recap of national stories, state and local stuff, weather, sports, and the ending fluff piece. On Fridays half the show is high school sports.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I get that. I said that. I just said it wasn't the only REAL story out there and MSNBC did it again last night. That's all I heard. Ran that poo poo into the loving ground.
So you missed the entire story on WV drinking water? I'm pretty sure there was at least one other story as well.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm currently making my way through Joe Muto's book, "An Atheist in the Fox Hole" and it's pretty good so far, even though his writing and sense of humor are on the juvenile side of things. It feels real. I was surprised to learn it was only recently published and had figured it'd been around for a while but then again that would explain why FOX hasn't gotten around to crucifying him yet and made his name a household word yet.

Are there any right wing books along these lines? Like "CNN: The Cowardly News Network; Inside the Liberal Agenda"? or "MSNBC: Must Skew News Beyond Conservatism" that have been written? Because I bet they're coming.

Where's Hunter S. Thompson now that we really need him?

He's dead. I know.

His last volume of letters is supposedly finally coming out March 1st. It's called "The Mutineer". I'm anxious to read his thoughts on the Bush years.

Been wanting to read that- watched that "Outfoxed" documentary a while ago and was not surprised that what was going on 10 years ago over there is basically what's going on now. They've probably gotten more brazen and I want to read about it!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Looking forward to seeing how many right wingers who have been praising Putin's anti-gay anti-free-speech policy try to distance themselves from him after the trainwreck that's been the olympics so far.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spacedad posted:

Looking forward to seeing how many right wingers who have been praising Putin's anti-gay anti-free-speech policy try to distance themselves from him after the trainwreck that's been the olympics so far.

Could you elaborate or link us something. All I've heard is that the Russians have arrested some number of gay protestors (which is horrible).

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Faustus posted:

Could you elaborate or link us something. All I've heard is that the Russians have arrested some number of gay protestors (which is horrible).

Plus all problems with amenities there certainly suggest that the 50 billion wasn't eve used to build up the place.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's a complete clusterfuck. The hotels are completely jacked up, the opening ceremony had issues, water isn't fit to drink (pee colored, in fact).

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
O, this just caused the weirdest sensation inside my head.

My first thought was, the RW will use these fuckups to denounce Communism, and thereby, the President.
My 2nd thought was, "But they are in total romantic love with Vladimir Putin."

They're good enough at this I guess that they can call Russia a shithole but still wish Putin ran the United States?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Boywhiz88 posted:

It's a complete clusterfuck. The hotels are completely jacked up, the opening ceremony had issues, water isn't fit to drink (pee colored, in fact).

My favorite story was the one Maddow relayed yesterday where an Sochi official said that reporters saying their showers don't work are full of poo poo because they have video footage of them turning on the shower and then leaving.

Of course he was carted away before any follow up questions about shower-cams and replaced with a person who assured the press pool that there were no secret cameras in their showers.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...isrc=burger_bar

quote:

Dmitry Kozak, the deputy prime minister responsible for the Olympic preparations, reflected the view held among many Russian officials that some Western visitors are deliberately trying to sabotage Sochi's big debut out of bias against Russia. "We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on the shower, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the whole day," he said. An aide then pulled a reporter away before Mr. Kozak could be questioned further on surveillance in hotel rooms. "We're doing a tour of the media center," the aide said.

:laffo:

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 7, 2014

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My favorite story was the one Maddow relayed yesterday where an Sochi official said that reporters saying their showers don't work are full of poo poo because they have video footage of them turning on the shower and then leaving.

Of course he was carted away before any follow up questions about shower-cams and replaced with a person who assured the press pool that there were no secret cameras in their showers.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...isrc=burger_bar

:laffo:

I wonder how many journalists at this very moment are bug-sweeping their rooms in the hopes of breaking a major story.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Still amazes me that Salzberg, Austria (The hometown of Mozart, the filming place of the "Sound of music) got passed over for that place.

I mean just seeing pictures of that location and it looks like a freaking Disney movie.

Sochi? Makes -insert rust belt city here- look like Paris.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'll bet that there are a lot of calls going out to Rio right now if Sochi is truly that bad. I've heard that they have been having massive problems getting the city ready for the 2016 summer olympics already. I can only imagine what the Olympics committee is thinking now.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

apologies for the double post.

I just heard someone on "The Five" call "The Beatles" terrible, etc. Then someone (without a trace of irony) called the "Oakridge Boys" still a good band.

I couldn't stop laughing, because I imagine it's a comment that Colbert would make.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Still amazes me that Salzberg, Austria (The hometown of Mozart, the filming place of the "Sound of music) got passed over for that place.

I mean just seeing pictures of that location and it looks like a freaking Disney movie.

Sochi? Makes -insert rust belt city here- look like Paris.

I don't think the Austrians were quite as willing as the Russians to grease the palms of the IOC host selection panel.

Slaan posted:

I'll bet that there are a lot of calls going out to Rio right now if Sochi is truly that bad. I've heard that they have been having massive problems getting the city ready for the 2016 summer olympics already. I can only imagine what the Olympics committee is thinking now.

Honestly? The committee doesn't give a poo poo. If the Olympics are a disaster they usually just blame the whole debacle on the host city, which is usually the case anyways.

The Olympics are one big advertisement event for corporate sponsors, so as long as their brand is seen a lot nobody gives a gently caress what happens.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 8, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I would think this is probably one of the few times they aren't up Rio's rear end.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Isn't Rio hosting the World Cup that year too? What a clusterfuck that's gonna be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mdemone posted:

Isn't Rio hosting the World Cup that year too? What a clusterfuck that's gonna be.

They do that this year.