Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

XyloJW posted:

Hey, you don't have PM's, so can you email me at my username at gmail dot com?

I didn't do it, officer, I swear! It was that suspicious looking minority!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

and I guess homeopathic pills don't hurt you

They hurt people by encouraging them to take fake medicine for real conditions, meaning that they will be more likely to use fake medicine in general and put their own health at risk.

And more specifically, just for one example, there is a homeopathic asthma inhaler on the market. Someone using that could potentially end up dead if they get hit with a severe attack.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Oh please. If the standard for Nazi symbol is 'things Germans invented before WW1 that the Nazis used frequently' then you'd have to add aspirin to that list.

There's a lot to mock here without trying to make extremely spurious connections to facism. Like how Parabellum Labs sounds like a scammy bitcoin miner startup.

The nazis never shot anyone on their knees in a ditch with a bottle of aspirin.

Funny how you decided not to mention pesticide.

Chantilly Say posted:

Nobody's called the pistol the Parabellum in even a Republican's lifetime, so I don't know about even calling it lovely research. I honestly think it's reaching to make a Nazi connection here.

It's not my fault if you're unfamiliar with white supremacist and neo-nazi buzzwords.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 6, 2014

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Spacedad posted:

It's not my fault if you're unfamiliar with white supremacist and neo-nazi buzzwords.

To be fair, I'm quite happy being unfamiliar white supremacist and neo-nazi buzzwords.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Alkydere posted:

To be fair, I'm quite happy being unfamiliar white supremacist and neo-nazi buzzwords.

Yeah, that's something you have in common with the RNC. :allears:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh, and please be quiet about the Real Nazis and the Literal Hitlers, I guess, because reading the last page has been painful.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
^^Fine, but it's baffling to me. Seriously might as well accuse them of referencing the Kaiser.

This is about as dumb of a Nazi comparison as owning a Volkswagen, something else tangentially related to genocide but which the Nazis were actually reponsible for.

Spacedad posted:

Funny how you decided not to mention pesticide.

I don't even understand this. Maybe your immersion in white supremacy opposition has made you incredibly sensitive to nonexistent cultural markers?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 6, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Something with actual relevance to this thread, but with utter irrelevance to anyone with a functioning brain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQyB6vvLZA

Nevermind the abuse that palestinians are already receiving which prompted this boycott, because they apparently don't count or something.

Taking a big ol' dump on the memory of the holocaust to defend bigotry and human rights abuse in the modern day takes a special kind of callous evil.

Edit: Also I love the video thumbnail that looks like Beck is the narcissistic high priest of a clandestine news cult.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 6, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Forgall posted:

I thought it was supposed to attract young techy libertarians?

Maybe they meant "Prepare for WOW"?

quote:

“I loved showing people of different ethnicities but I didn’t like hearing ‘America the Beautiful’ in different languages,” said LoHud.com commenter Lisa Morello of Port Chester. “It is a patriotic song. Leave it.”

People who speak different languages can't be patriots (or buy Coke). Got it.

drat. These people remind me of the sort that were freaking out years ago over Hendrix' Star Spangled Banner or something. Come to think of it, I wonder what are their thoughts on "Felice Navidad"?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
And crown thy good with brotherhood (note: only applies to brothers (subnote: not those ones) who are already here, look like you and are speaking english primarily) from sea to shining seaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

My question to them right now is: Exactly how many people do you personally know who don't know any english and are actively refusing to learn any?....and if they ARE doing that, how would you know? Their children? And what language did they tell that to you in? And do you need some time to think about that one or can you gently caress off now?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

BiggerBoat posted:

drat. These people remind me of the sort that were freaking out years ago over Hendrix' Star Spangled Banner or something. Come to think of it, I wonder what are their thoughts on "Felice Navidad"?

http://mediamatters.org/video/2012/11/09/limbaugh-plays-feliz-navidad-to-reach-out-to-th/191301

edit: Gonna quote from the transcript here, because this is rich

quote:

RUSH: Let me help, ladies and gentlemen. We're talking about Santa Claus for the past couple, three days. Let's reach out to the Hispanic community and make sure they get the message here, the EIB Network.

(playing of song)

RUSH: Jose Feliciano singing Papa Noel. Baracka Claus.

(continued playing of song)

RUSH: There you have it, ladies and gentlemen, outreach in the EIB Network. Jose Feliciano and Feliz Navidad, as we make sure our Spanish-speaking audience members understand one of the things we've been discussing this week.

[Rush blather omitted]

...Now, am I saying that there's a correlation? I don't know. But I can say the Republican Party did not increase its support from the Hispanic community after passing amnesty. It lost it. Now, the reason why this important, we're told, we plebes, we know-nothings out here, we're told that the Republican Party is demographically seeing itself eroded out of existence and we've got to learn how to talk to these people. We gotta learn how to speak to the African-Americans. Every time we try, they make fun of us. Every time we try to speak the language of these groups they make fun of us, or they call us racists or they say that we're insensitive. Every time we try to speak to them, in their language, in ways they can understand. That's one observation.

They get the message Rush, and you're definitely speaking to them in ways they can understand.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 6, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Something with actual relevance to this thread, but with utter irrelevance to anyone with a functioning brain:

Nevermind the abuse that palestinians are already receiving which prompted this boycott, because they apparently don't count or something.

Taking a big ol' dump on the memory of the holocaust to defend bigotry and human rights abuse in the modern day takes a special kind of callous evil.

Edit: Also I love the video thumbnail that looks like Beck is the narcissistic high priest of a clandestine news cult.

:allears: I love how Beck has his little Liberty University-graduate journalist kids all gather 'round and hear a sermon from the great and wise Beck.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Darkman Fanpage posted:

:allears: I love how Beck has his little Liberty University-graduate journalist kids all gather 'round and hear a sermon from the great and wise Beck.

I do rather enjoy the visual of watching the morning zoo shock jock turned professional demgagogue blather on about how Obama is a cult of personality dictator while surrounded by his entourage of simpering mini-me sycophants. It's like some kind of milestone for accomplishments of monumental inanity.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
You can keep the debate a mile away from yourself if you just flummox everyone constantly by accusing them of whatever bad behavior you're currently engaged in. That's the only reason I can imagine why any of these guys are tolerated in public life. Apart from their narrative being extraordinarily compatible with the dreams of business elites. Of course they're also extremely self-conscious and a lot of what they say has nothing to do with serenading their followers, some of the chords are struck purely to enrage the enemy.

I feel in typing this post that we're all getting sick of reading it (it is possible that we've actually stumbled upon the truth about these people, that they're nasty fucks who will do anything they're allowed to).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Look who joined Fox News as a new token Liberal:

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/431511885003780096

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

Spacedad posted:

Hahaha so the administration and a cabal of boogymen are teaming up with muslims to exterminate the Jews. I believe this is still relevant: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-may-12-2010/back-in-black---glenn-beck-s-nazi-tourette-s

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Idran posted:

They hurt people by encouraging them to take fake medicine for real conditions, meaning that they will be more likely to use fake medicine in general and put their own health at risk.

And more specifically, just for one example, there is a homeopathic asthma inhaler on the market. Someone using that could potentially end up dead if they get hit with a severe attack.

They also can actually hurt you, one nasal spray had to be recalled due to having such high levels of zinc it made people permanently lose their sense of smell.
I think that was also when the FDA clarified their position that as long as they were placebos and didn't do anything, good or bad, they would ignore them. Assuming they had the `not medicine` disclaimer and didn't claim to be medicine.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: Nevermind that. Instead, here's Phyllis Schafly explaining outright that right wingers like her are literally just being contrarian pricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-hb266Wj6A

Ideology my rear end - this isn't conservatism so much as just plain tantrum-throwing.

It's somewhat amusing to me that someone so elderly can be so childish and petty.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 6, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

agarjogger posted:

You can keep the debate a mile away from yourself if you just flummox everyone constantly by accusing them of whatever bad behavior you're currently engaged in. That's the only reason I can imagine why any of these guys are tolerated in public life. Apart from their narrative being extraordinarily compatible with the dreams of business elites. Of course they're also extremely self-conscious and a lot of what they say has nothing to do with serenading their followers, some of the chords are struck purely to enrage the enemy.

I feel in typing this post that we're all getting sick of reading it (it is possible that we've actually stumbled upon the truth about these people, that they're nasty fucks who will do anything they're allowed to).

Beck is in a world of his own to me. A lot of these types are just riffing on the "magic" of the one way conversation that Rush perfected, but Glenn Beck is having some kind of ongoing massive delusional ego trip that's being driven by a very specific and verrrrrrrrrrrry weird audience.

It's like he specifically tailors his show as something for the doting wife of your average Alex Jones/Freep/Rush/Oathkeepers fan who still believes in the softer side of the church. He still sells himself as someone coming from a place of love, he sells the image of heavenly America as opposed to the blasted hellscape Rush and Jones have, man in the moon, crying about how much he cares etc. But at the same time he will keep you up to date with what UN agency is out to cut your brain out and put it in a gay welfare recipient. He also obviously takes a lot of joy in creating his own stories like this and sprinkling fire and brimstone on it.

Like he's on board enough to not get you kicked out of the club but I doubt people who are ALL IN for Glenn Beck often hang out socially with the other nutsos.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 6, 2014

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I just now noticed that CNN seems to have rebooted that horrible Crossfire show, except now they have Newt Gingrich and S.E. Cupp on it. Wow, what is with CNN these days?

e: I mean :wow:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Spacedad posted:

So has anyone ever created a collection of crazy, wrong Beck predictions made on his blackboard compiled from the last 6-7 years? If so I wonder what his little group of sycophant "students" would think about it.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Kenzie posted:

I just now noticed that CNN seems to have rebooted that horrible Crossfire show, except now they have Newt Gingrich and S.E. Cupp on it. Wow, what is with CNN these days?

On the good side, because their ratings have been so bad their nighttime programming is now Anthony Bourdain and true crime "documentaries". So they aren't doing quite as much damage as they used to.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Kenzie posted:

S.E. Cupp sounds so dumb and shrill when she's talking about "job creators" and heckling Robert Reich here.

What does it say about S.E. Cupp's fanbase when these are the top autofill results for her?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kenzie posted:

CNN is very nakedly going after some of Fox's nutjob audience lately. For evidence go through their site and TV coverage and look at the "exclusive" stuff they've been pushing. They're all basically trial balloons to see how far into FOX land they can walk without being called out on it.

FOX let the mask slip over the past 15 years and realized that there really isn't a floor where their current audience will tune out. They can have production flubs, hosts editorializing, ethical problems, the infamous "experts", segments that turn into national embarassments, etc. NOTHING will turn the audience they have off because everyone who could stomach leaving already left and anyone who didn't is being stroked off by FOX for being the exact sort of person who sticks around (who is, incidentally, right about everything they've ever thought). They are basically a sports team of their own now and they revel in it.

I can completely understand why 60 minutes and CNN want to woo the person who's still on team GOP but doesn't want to be part of team FOX. They basically want their own slice of the RW blog market. I suspect lot of the people who left FOX left primarily because FOX isn't a trusted source and everyone from their interns to the president know it, so it's not stupid for some place like CNN to say "hey your son might dismiss the idea that the ACA is going to torpedo the nation out of hand if it's a link to FOX...but we're that place that used to have darth vader saying their name, try our version". Some people argue that their "calling" of the SCOTUS ruling came from this same impulse, I think it was just a massive gently caress up but it's a fun illustration of this whole thing.

Short version: CNN is trading in the last of what their name is worth to see if there are enough conservatives who are sick of being associated with FOX.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 6, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^You're right. That's exactly what CNN is doing, but god drat half their poo poo is unwatchable: Nancy Grace, Piers Morgan, Wolf Blitzer...drat. The attempted ratings grab via pundits and cult of personality is obscene.

For some reason I've found myself watching more MSNBC lately, probably because the TV in my bedroom is analogue and it loses more and more channels every day so I just settle on something when I go to bed, but I'll be damned if they're not becoming exactly what FOX says they are. Every night they go on for literally hours about Chris Christie, especially Maddow, who I used to enjoy. Now, I get it's A story, but it's not the ONLY story. It's exactly like what FOX does with Bengahzi.

Also, I think I edited this out of a poo poo post I made a few pages back, but people interested in this sort of "left wing/right wing media" stuff should check out a documentary called Patriocracy. It had its problems but it was a pretty good take on why pretty much all of the American media is horrible.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't know, calling it a Benghazi is a bit too far. There is substance there, a lot of current action going on and there are a ton of hooks there even for a non-liberal audience. I think Maddow is laser focused on bridgegate because she feels like it's something she was in on very early and was steering up until very recently (see: failed attempt to get people to stop talking about the endorsement as the reason for the lane closure).

She feels like it's her baby, that people are subpoenaing in part based on her research and it might sink a GOP presidential hopeful.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

BiggerBoat posted:

For some reason I've found myself watching more MSNBC lately, probably because the TV in my bedroom is analogue and it loses more and more channels every day so I just settle on something when I go to bed, but I'll be damned if they're not becoming exactly what FOX says they are. Every night they go on for literally hours about Chris Christie, especially Maddow, who I used to enjoy. Now, I get it's A story, but it's not the ONLY story. It's exactly like what FOX does with Bengahzi.

Also, I think I edited this out of a poo poo post I made a few pages back, but people interested in this sort of "left wing/right wing media" stuff should check out a documentary called Patriocracy. It had its problems but it was a pretty good take on why pretty much all of the American media is horrible.

MSNBC daytime is what CNN used to be: largely focused on news and semi-serious discussion.

Their prime-time shows are focused on fewer subjects because they actually use resources to do heavy reporting and research. And honestly, what's a bigger story right now than Chris Christie spinning himself into knots while his former aides try to decide who's going to flip on him first?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I still enjoy Maddow. I think she's just having a field day because Christie is coming up on four investigations now, and there's lots to talk about. She still fits in other stories.
What's Christie up to now? Bridgegate, where his Port Authority appointee wants immunity and claims he can give Christie up if he gets it (who knows if he can?), another appointee just had to resign, There's Hoboken, Bellevue, and the new development project that had Sandy relief money pumped into it... the whole thing about the quashing of a Grand Jury investigation (43 counts) into a Sherrif's department and the guy who's suing for wrongful termination from that and all of these stories, if discovery begins in earnest, the Feds can follow any string they manage to tug loose.

I find it fascinating to watch, especially now that Gov. McDonnell and his wife are indicted.

It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion, where all the people Christie abused on the way up could end up kicking him on the way down. Or not, who can tell. It's New Jersey.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

beatlegs posted:

On the good side, because their ratings have been so bad their nighttime programming is now Anthony Bourdain and true crime "documentaries". So they aren't doing quite as much damage as they used to.

I hardly ever watch TV but this winter I've been inside watching it a bit more. I noticed that they've been showing documentaries about the 60's every evening, jerking off over the Beatles and so on. So much of the rest of their coverage seems to be just celebrity crap or true crime or courtroom drama (they seem to really love courtroom drama). Philip Seymour Hoffman: great actor or greatest actor EVER??? JUSTIN BIEBER JUSTIN BIEBER and now after these messages, watch S.E. Cupp babble about job creators! And the Situation Room has their Star Trek holodeck thing that they show now and then that makes me laugh. A moment ago the lower third on the Situation Room said "TOP U.S. DIPLOMAT: F*CK THE EU".

It's so surreal watching this stuff that I almost don't want to change the channel. God help me, what are they doing to me.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Everyones on the Beatles at the moment because it's some anniversary of them coming to America and ruining Brian Wilsons life.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I guess that's another part of CNN's attempt to pull in more of FOX's old, nostalgic nutjob audience?

Actually I'm not sure how they can pull in FOX's audience if they still have Piers Morgan on there.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 7, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Kenzie posted:

I guess that's another part of CNN's attempt to pull in more of FOX's old, nostalgic nutjob audience?

Actually I'm not sure how they can pull in FOX's audience if they still have Piers Morgan on there.

What other audience is there to reach for? The people who watch 24 hour news regularly are almost invariably horrible. Most everyone else watches new media or local news and only tunes in when there's some kind of developing story like a mass shooting.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Kenzie posted:

I mentioned it but I don't think they're going after FOX's audience. I think they're going for the audience that accounts for all those polling results that show Republicans supporting progressive poo poo that FOX/RW Blogs/The GOP pretend are complete anathema to any true believer.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
CNN is no longer in the news business. They are in the news-ertainment business. Jeff Zucker (former head of NBC) has said as much.

Jeff Zucker posted:

“We're all regurgitating the same information. I want people to say, ‘You know what? That was interesting. I hadn't thought of that,’” Zucker said. “The goal for the next six months, is that we need more shows and less newscasts.”

Zucker—“rhymes with hooker,” he likes to say—also expanded on comments he has made about breaking CNN out of a mindset created by historic rivalries with MSNBC and Fox. He wants the network to attract “viewers who are watching places like Discovery and History and Nat Geo and A&E.”

“People who traditionally just watch the cable news networks [are] a great audience,” he said. “I'm not trying to alienate that audience. But the overall cable news audience has not grown in the last 12 years, OK? So, all we're doing is trading [audience] share. … We also want to broaden what people can expect from CNN.”

The 48-year-old Zucker initially faced internal resistance to his experiments beyond the realm of hard news, but he now has an irrefutable retort: The No. 1 show on CNN is now “Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown,” a travel-adventure show featuring the bad-boy celebrity chef. Zucker said that inside CNN, his formula has finally been accepted “because people have seen the results.”

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Is Wolf Blitzer the only one on there who tries to do real news anymore?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kenzie posted:

No, Wolf Blitzer does not try to do real news. :wow:

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 7, 2014

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Kenzie posted:

:laffo:

Wolf Blitzer doing real news. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Kenzie posted:

Anderson Cooper is pretty good.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

New Division posted:

:laffo:

Wolf Blitzer doing real news. That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Well I said try to do real news.

With so many hours of Wolf Blitzer every day some real news might make it in there even if it's by accident.

I haven't watched much Anderson Cooper though.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Beamed posted:

Anderson Cooper is pretty good.

They only still employ him because his silver mane and deep blue eyes are the only things keeping his black shirt from destroying us all.