Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I've created a post in the LP sandcastle about my upcoming The Hunters LP. Let me know what you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I know you're using the native size from vassal, but the ship status images are kinda large.
The general layout and descriptions look good. Maybe consider throwing in some photos if you can find any for the first few patrols to get peoples' interest.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

To me it looks great.
I'm looking to pick "The Hunters" up as well, so I'm curious for this LP.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FebrezeNinja posted:

I know you're using the native size from vassal, but the ship status images are kinda large.
The general layout and descriptions look good. Maybe consider throwing in some photos if you can find any for the first few patrols to get peoples' interest.
Thanks for the feedback: I might comprise and set some of them to timg so that it's easier to see. I really like the idea of using real life pics within the updates, so I'll make sure to use them in the first few patrols.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
I...I just ordered from coolstuff The Dark Valley and World at War. Why...what have you done to me Wargame thread?!

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Trynant posted:

I...I just ordered from coolstuff The Dark Valley and World at War. Why...what have you done to me Wargame thread?!

I'll play TDV with you on VASSAL since my physical copy will likely never see any non-solo play (but yet I still felt compelled to order it), but you're on your own with World at War and it's multiple hundred page rulebook unless I become unemployed for a significant period of time

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What's TDV like? Any chance for an AAR or summary?

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

If I get TDV played, I'll definitely go for some sort of AAR. Hasn't arrived just yet.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Hunters LP thread is up!

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

World at War and The Dark Valley came in the mail recently. The Dark Valley looks really cool in that it doesn't have that heavy a ruleset (at first glance) but advertises a monstrous playtime. On the flipside, World at War looks really cool because it's the first board game I've gotten with an honest-to-loving-god bound (200+ page) rulebook. poo poo, I thought only minis games did that stuff.

I'm probably going to tryout some solitaire Dark Valley in the near future, and do some kind of AAR when that happens.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Looking forward to it. Does anyone here know anything about The Supreme Commander? How does it rank with other ETO games (e.g. Totaler Krieg, World in Flames)?

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Looking forward to it. Does anyone here know anything about The Supreme Commander? How does it rank with other ETO games (e.g. Totaler Krieg, World in Flames)?

The only thing I know about Supreme Commander is that they had to release a massive update kit immediately upon publishing due to something going horribly wrong. I felt it wasn't the strongest recommendation, so I've pretty much avoided it after that. I'd post an AAR of my first solitaire attempt of Dark Valley, but so far I've only finished the setup...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

blackmongoose posted:

The only thing I know about Supreme Commander is that they had to release a massive update kit immediately upon publishing due to something going horribly wrong. I felt it wasn't the strongest recommendation, so I've pretty much avoided it after that. I'd post an AAR of my first solitaire attempt of Dark Valley, but so far I've only finished the setup...
What actually happened with the P500s? Print error or actual gameplay issues?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackmongoose posted:

I'd post an AAR of my first solitaire attempt of Dark Valley, but so far I've only finished the setup...

It's kinda weird because the Soviet setup is fairly restrictive to the point where it might as well not be free, while the Axis setup is totally free.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

What actually happened with the P500s? Print error or actual gameplay issues?

I think it was mostly printing errors, but there might have been some rules stuff in there too? I didn't really follow it too closely.

Panzeh posted:

It's kinda weird because the Soviet setup is fairly restrictive to the point where it might as well not be free, while the Axis setup is totally free.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of free setup in general because you're asking someone just starting the game to make huge decisions when they're at their least knowledgeable. Even the couple free Soviet units are challenging though, because you have to decide which holes to fill and which to leave, which isn't easy if you're not sure what a typical German attack will look like.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

So the reprints of Combat Commander Europe and the Mediterranean expansion are shipping now, if anyone was looking for them. Reprints of the Paratroopers and Stalingrad battlepacks are due to ship soon, along with the new Sealion expansion.

I've been working my way through the Musket and Pike series rulebook and I'm liking what I see so far. The orders system seems really cool. I'm also watching the tutorial videos form GMT but they guy rambles a lot and it feels like there's about 25 minutes of information in the hour long video.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm definitely buying CC:Med when I get the chance, really want to play around with the Commonwealth/Italian/French decks.

Last game of ADP, I tell the warlords/taliban that the coalition is about to win and I can't do anything to stop them. They keep loving around instead of infiltrating + terroring, while I drive my own resources low so that the coalition can't use my troops. We are in propaganda card territory so a quick surge out can net the coalition the win. Guess what happens :what:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I played a two player game of ADP on Sunday with a friend of mine, him as the Coalition and me as the Taliban, we played the Obama's War set up. We spend the first two rounds building capabilities with running events now and than. With the Afghani Government and the Warlords coming close to victory a few times. I'm able to snag a few of the negative capabilities early on in the game really hampering his ability to deal with me. I'm able to than explode across the Pashtun areas and the whole east, south and Kabul are in opposition. I really want to get a full 4 player game of it going but it's kind of tough convincing some of the guys at my board game group to try them out, though Cuba Libre was a bit of hit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've had the other problem: people seem to be more interested in A Distant Plain than most other COIN games I bring to the table. I'm not complaining since it's my favourite one, but I've played Andean Abyss once, Cuba Libre twice and ADP about 4-5 times now. Why does your group seem reluctant if you managed to sell them Cuba Libre?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Playing my first IRL game of TK at the moment. I'm really bad at playing germany. I got bogged down in France so it's winter '41 and I still haven't finished off France since Case Yellow didn't manage to work. Still, I only need Paris and another city to conquer France. I've managed to get Italy and Portugal on my side, while currently Greece is on the Allies side. We played it pretty historically, but since I demanded Denmark (which I managed to get) my invasion of Poland was about a year late, oh well. This is after a blitzed Poland.

This is the current situation at the start of Winter '41. Currently it's still Limited War. I don't really want to hit Total War until France is done really.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?
At the risk of starting an "is it a wargame?" argument, managed to get my first game of 1989 in. I though it was pretty fun - the power struggle mechanic wasn't as swingy as my buddy and I feared it would be while still allowing for some good tension, and the game seemed more likely than Twilight Struggle to go to endgame scoring, which is nice as I feel like it can be rare to see the late war TS deck.

Still, I worry that the removal of DEFCON, coups and the changes made to realignment might make the game less dynamic in the long run. We're going to make sure to get in some more games to avoid some obvious traps, but has anyone else had the opportunity to dig into, or at least play 1989?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I do like 1989 but I have my reservations about it. I do like the new system in which coups AND realignments are all rolled into one, and the way that the scoring cards come out make it more important to hold spaces that aren't battlegrounds (I especially find the student/intellectuals spaces important since they allow you to use their leaders). What I really dislike about 1989 is the importance of a single dice-roll in comparison to the dice rolls in Twilight Struggle. Taking over countries is crucially important for the Democratic player and if the dice rolls on this matter just don't go his way, the communist player can get a boat-load of VPs only because he got lucky (added to this, it's trivially easy for a player to prevent being beaten by a Rally on the Square if he gives up as soon as he can).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation for a hex-and-counter wargame that's maybe a step up from Battle for Moscow? Something as simple as No Retreat!'s combat and supply rules but without the card-playing would be just about perfect. I was looking at Mark Simonitch's France 40 but I thought it was just a little too big and complex (hex-bond-ZOCs! :wth:) for my inexperienced self.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you look back into this thread, you might find an AAR for Red Winter: it's a weird company-level game but it works remarkably well and is very tactical. It's all about lines of fires, desperate charges across frozen lakes and lots of indirect fire. It works well because there is a real force asymmetry between the sides, with the Russians having more artillery, men and machineguns and the Finns being faster across ice and more manoeuvrable. I like it a lot.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a hex-and-counter wargame that's maybe a step up from Battle for Moscow? Something as simple as No Retreat!'s combat and supply rules but without the card-playing would be just about perfect. I was looking at Mark Simonitch's France 40 but I thought it was just a little too big and complex (hex-bond-ZOCs! :wth:) for my inexperienced self.

ZOC Bonds aren't that difficult, honestly. France '40 isn't too bad a choice if you want to go in that direction. Two units that are exactly one hex apart make an impassable hex or hexside.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Isn't that really the same thing that No Retreat does with its sticky EZOCs or is there a reason why it's called differently?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Isn't that really the same thing that No Retreat does with its sticky EZOCs or is there a reason why it's called differently?

It means you have to be one hex apart to get that effect instead of two.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So if they are two apart, you can move through the gap without issue? I assume that it has 'stop when entering an EZOC' rules like Totaler Krieg?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll check out Red Winter and will keep plugging away at France 40

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If you have a read-through of the rules I might be able to throw you a game of it sometime so you can try before buying. Either that or someone in this thread can complete his AAR :v:

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?
If it helps, I feel bad about not continuing my AAR, although I feel more badly for my opponent. My computer went belly up, and he's been waiting for my turn for about a month.

Tekopo, I should have figured you wouldn't like the weight given the die roll in 1989, given your view on labyrinth. I'm curious to see how it plays out long term, because I was able to raise the stakes pretty consistently as the dems, but that could have just been first game lack of strategy on my opponents part. The designer has said that he's comfortable with heavy luck on a per game basis so long as the overall tendency of the game is to come out 50/50, but I wonder how much of that perspective is born from a playtest mentality as opposed to real world play.

Or maybe I'm just a dilettante that wants to hop from game to game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was more talking about Lichtenstein since he had a long detailed post about Red Winter, so no worries :)

And yeah, I feel the same: the game should be confined in a single game. It's also bad statistical analysis: the results in one game have no effect on the other and you might get unlucky again and again. This is especially true in a game that you might only play once or twice a month as is the case in most wargames.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Might get to finish my game of Totaler Krieg tomorrow: I might throw an AAR of it as some point. Don't have many pictures but I can bring a narrative if necessary. Anyone interested?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Might get to finish my game of Totaler Krieg tomorrow: I might throw an AAR of it as some point. Don't have many pictures but I can bring a narrative if necessary. Anyone interested?

Very yes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also I just started using my brand new corner cutter on my copy of None But Heroes and I'm really impressed with the results. Nice crisp corners, they really do look good, but it still takes time to go through 1400 tokens :v:

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Of the COIN games is Andean Abyss or Cube Libre more accessible? Or is it much the same?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Cuba Libre is more accessible: the game is much shorter, the roles/ways to win are easier to understand and the game is slightly more random since the events are slightly stronger. I would say to go for Cuba Libre over AA if the setting doesn't matter and you want to have a game to get eased into the COIN series.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tekopo posted:

Definitely interested in this!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Having just read the whole thread and being an absolute newbie to these style of wargames, I now want to get Cuba Libre, Navajo Wars, Mosby's Raiders and Guns of Gettysburg.

I haven't ever used VASSAL before either but if I can get up to speed on that and read some rules, who's happy to hold my hand through a game of something sometime?

My other question is, are there any games for the Russo-Japanese war? Ideally for the naval side of things as that's what I find most interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd be more than willing to teach you any of Cuba Libre (if we get two more) or Guns of Gettysburg (navajo wars is solitaire but I can have a go at teaching you that as well).

Also, you are in luck