Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

lushka16 posted:

Woohoo, got an invitation! Time to study study study.

How far away is your test? I'd recommend getting the study guide. Don't forget to prepare for the bio portion of the test and the 5 paragraph method for the essay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I spent last week assisting the Secretary's communication team in Davos. I spent one night watching over the equipment in a penthouse apartment overlooking the slopes with a jacuzzi and some beer cooling in the snow. This can be a pretty good gig.

I didn't actually use the jacuzzi. But the beer was nice, and the view was unbelievable

This is seriously so cool. I'd love to have the opportunity to work on the mobile coms team one day.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

Stolennosferatu posted:

How far away is your test? I'd recommend getting the study guide. Don't forget to prepare for the bio portion of the test and the 5 paragraph method for the essay.

It's exactly a week away. Fortunately I'm a bit of a book worm so I don't mind sitting down and studying. I will definitely prepare for the bio and look into the 5 paragraph method. Sounds like the typical intro, body, body, body, conclusion high school essay framework?

Edit: I'm reading through the study guide, and it states that in my application for the FSOT I should list every job I've ever had in great detail, in order to show that I'm a hard working individual. I definitely did not do this - is this something I should worry about? Is there a way I can update my information?

lushka16 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 29, 2014

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I'm taking the FSOT in a week and was curious about the importance of the past work experience section as well. Is having an awesome description of my first job working at Starbucks from 7 years ago going to make a difference? I'd be happy to work with Resume to Interviews and pimp that out next year if there's a chance it could help.

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

The work experience section is important.

Here's why...

If you pass the FSOT, you will get invited to write your personal narratives. After you submit all this stuff the Department convenes a panel to review all applications, score them on a numerical scale, and then draw a line somewhere and invite people over this line to participate in the oral exam.

The packet the panel receives includes:
1. Your application file with your personal details, work history, skills, languages, etc
2. Your detailed FSOT score information
3. Your personal narratives

Now there is really no info from State about the specific weighting of each packet item but they do treat your application file like a resume and it is scored. Based on FOIA request info posted on the Yahoo group, we know that they do look at and score your work history. The only way to share this with State is through the application file. If you are not using this space to highlight how you are hitting the 13D's, you are doing it wrong.

Now for the bad news, and something that hit me hard 2 years ago. After you finalize and submit your application to take the test - you cannot go back and edit it...for the rest of the fiscal year! Unless State and ACT have changed their policy about this, you are SOL.

Moral of the story, take it seriously and make every word in your application count because if you progress in the process, the Department will be using it when they decide to hire you or not.

*disclaimer - I failed the PNQ so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Womacks-JP-23 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 30, 2014

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ok, thanks. That's very helpful. I wish this had been in the OP! ^

It's too bad that they don't make that clearer on the application - I basically copied over my current "general" resume but definitely didn't tailor it based on the 13 points.

E: I think they actually did word the work experience section something like: "Tell us how you embody the qualities needed by a foreign service officer." I remember not being sure if they wanted me to explicitly talk about the dimensions (of the 13) embodied by each aspect of that particular job, or if they just wanted a resume highlighting job functions that pertained to the 13 points. Is there really a preferred method here? I feel like I might be over-thinking this.

What I'm wondering is if I should word the resume either:
"Composure: Mixed 40 drinks an hour in a noisy and fast-paced environment."
or just
"Mixed 40 drinks an hour in a noisy and fast-paced environment."

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 30, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

lushka16 posted:

Woohoo, got an invitation! Time to study study study.
Hell's bells, from submitting an application to getting an invite after one day?

Womacks-JP-23
May 15, 2013

There's no real method to the resume part of the application. You just have to do your research and read between the lines. We know the items the QEP panel looks at to rank candidates. We also know what criteria they are using to rank people (13D's). You just have to assume that every piece of the application is critical and deserving of your full attention.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

Hell's bells, from submitting an application to getting an invite after one day?

Yeah, that was a shock.

I do wish that the work history section asked for more detail. I really didn't put in a lot of effort, mostly because I was on a major time crunch. I really REALLY regret not knowing that it's a major factor in the application process. Will I be able to give more detail in my personal narrative?

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

lushka16 posted:

Yeah, that was a shock.

I do wish that the work history section asked for more detail. I really didn't put in a lot of effort, mostly because I was on a major time crunch. I really REALLY regret not knowing that it's a major factor in the application process. Will I be able to give more detail in my personal narrative?

Yes, but not really. The PNQs have a hard character limit and its pretty short.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

Stolennosferatu posted:

Yes, but not really. The PNQs have a hard character limit and its pretty short.

PNQ tip: if you're a traditional spacer like me (2 spaces after periods), force yourself to use the newer 1 space system. While the internet is filled with epic battles over this issue, that 1 space gained per sentence saved can save your rear end.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Learning to crunch space in your personal narratives while still getting across how awesome you are is actually really good training for formulating your EERs.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Leif. posted:

Learning to crunch space in your personal narratives while still getting across how awesome you are is actually really good training for formulating your EERs.

^^ truth ^^

So I'm working on my first appraisals for civil servants. (I'm a manager, bitches. Cower in fear!) Anything I need to know? Any hard-and-fast rules like EERs have on code words you can't say?

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

the_chavi posted:

^^ truth ^^

So I'm working on my first appraisals for civil servants. (I'm a manager, bitches. Cower in fear!) Anything I need to know? Any hard-and-fast rules like EERs have on code words you can't say?

All the GS folks I've been around laugh and sing when it comes to their EERs because they copy and paste the same one every year. Granted they can't promote, but there you have it.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Saw Sean's birthday reminder on FB. :(

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TCD posted:

Saw Sean's birthday reminder on FB. :(

Oh goddamnit, is it today?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

the_chavi posted:

Oh goddamnit, is it today?

No, a few days ago.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Edit: rescheduled for a less snowy date

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 2, 2014

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice
I read the study guide cover to cover a few times, but I'm still not sure how to prepare for the bio portion. Right now, I'm prepared to answer the questions honestly, and have thought about some detailed answers for the "give an example of.." questions. What else can I do?

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child

lushka16 posted:

I read the study guide cover to cover a few times, but I'm still not sure how to prepare for the bio portion. Right now, I'm prepared to answer the questions honestly, and have thought about some detailed answers for the "give an example of.." questions. What else can I do?

Be prepared to make those examples SHORT. You need to compress as much info as possible into a small space.

Jacobobb
Jan 8, 2007

d1rtbag posted:

Be prepared to make those examples SHORT. You need to compress as much info as possible into a small space.

I've taken it twice so far (drat qep), and each time all my bio answers were, "I did a thing. It was hard because..." My bio section score has been super high each time and I don't think my examples were that great, so I think the way you word it is key. Have a specific example for each of the dimensions.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

lushka16 posted:

I'm taking the test for the first time, so I might be completely off, but in the Yahoo group somebody made an excel study sheet with the 13 Dimensions on one axis and high school, college, first job, ect. on the other axis. I think the idea is that once you figure out what aspect the question is asking about you have something you talk about.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Self-promotion is a core Foreign Service skill.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Business of Ferrets posted:

Truth.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Yup

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Business of Ferrets posted:

in more ways than initially realized.

Should go in the OP.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
More of a general question than State, where is a good place to get ties, dress shirts and the like in the Arlington/Alexandria area? It looks as though most of my stuff didn't make the move and I don't think I can come in with a bolo tie.

I found a Jos. A Bank in the area but in the past I found it to be kinda overpriced.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Gravel Gravy posted:

I found a Jos. A Bank in the area but in the past I found it to be kinda overpriced.

ruh roh

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

In the past I've been a low-paid keyboard jockey, teacher's assistant, and now an unpaid intern so in my mindset everything is overpriced. As long as JoB carries extra long ties then I could settle for them.

Just left this Landmark mall place and it has a whole lot of nothing.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Suit Supply in Georgetown is a great shop for a custom fit suits. I'm a lanky size and it works well.

If you go to Pentagon City Nordstroms has great suits. Hugo Boss are nice as well. If your looking for something cheaper the Macys has a large suit selection. Actually, that mall has two or three other "budget" suit stores that escape my mind.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

In the past I've been a low-paid keyboard jockey, teacher's assistant, and now an unpaid intern so in my mindset everything is overpriced. As long as JoB carries extra long ties then I could settle for them.

Just left this Landmark mall place and it has a whole lot of nothing.

Jos. A. Bank is cheap as hell if you shop online and know your measurements. I've gotten two nice blazers for $80 each on clearance. I got a brand new suit for $180 during a Christmas sale.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

psydude posted:

Jos. A. Bank is cheap as hell if you shop online and know your measurements. I've gotten two nice blazers for $80 each on clearance. I got a brand new suit for $180 during a Christmas sale.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out when I get back home. Ended up at a men's wearhouse. Spent more than I wanted but at least I'm ready for next week.

vvv

Yeah I think my view was a little skewed. Last time I had to get a suit was in 2011, from a backwater mall in SC.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 7, 2014

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Jos A Bank is like, budget? If you're looking for cheaper suits I'm not sure where you can find them in the states aside from secondhand shops. The only 'competitor' in the budget suit business i think is Men's Warehouse/Burlington Coat Factory? And even then they are similarly priced?

tyson's corner mall has a bunch of department stores (there's actually two malls); they will probably have what you're looking for. (pentagon city mall too). you can take the metro.

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.
Benetton and J. Crew both do awesome and reasonably priced provided you're not bonkers disproportionate.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
I got mine from Jos A Banks.

Also congrats to the new class that starts on Monday.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Didn't Jos. A. Banks buy Men's Wearhouse recently? In any event, yay, suit chat!

I got some of mine from Jos. A. Banks, and if you think they (or Men's Wearhouse) are overpriced, you need to re-evaluate your mental pricing on suits, placing these near the lower end of the spectrum. They regularly run suit sales which vary, but usually are something like "Buy 2 complete suit separates at a sale price, get a third one free" or "three complete sets of suit, trousers, traveler's shirt, tie, for $600", or the like. Their greatcoats/overcoats are also amazing for rainy or snowy weather, which you will get in DC winters. If you save up, $1000 can easily get you your entire wardrobe of suits, shirts, ties, a coat, cufflinks, dress socks, and a pair of nice comfortable shoes (like a Cole Haan).

I prefer to buy my suits from Banana Republic (I think they're only sold as separates), because I like their Mad Men inspired series. They normally run $99 for the trousers, and usually $299 for the blazer. I get my shirts and ties from Vineyard Vines, which usually run between $60-$90 for the shirts, and ties about the same as anywhere else. Overall it's more expensive, but they last forever, are super comfortable, and fit me better than the Jos. A. Banks suits do (they're not bad, but cheap suits will always fit worse.)

Leif. fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 8, 2014

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
I am usually the wrong person to talk to for budget suits; but I believe the advice is still the same regardless of cost:

advice for suits while at State:

get your suits tailored. if your pants don't fit right or your shirt is halfway out or 'crumpled' near the hip it gets noticed very easily, and First Impressions can be quite important. At the very minimum get your slacks tailored. get a fitted or tailored shirt for semi-formal or public events. Once you can afford it just get your casual slacks tailored too. (If you are nearby them, UniQlo will sell jeans/slacks for reasonable price (also cotton suits, ~99$) and the tailoring is free.)

for shoes i will tell you to get something professional-looking, but with emphasis on comfort. clarks/hush puppies are perfectly fine for regular office wear/suits; just don't wear them to formal/foreign dignitary events.

Never button the bottom/last button. If you do, don't be upset that nobody will take you seriously.

Be mindful of your ID when taking photos. If you see someone about to take a photo with it open, give them a hand and 'adjust' their suit collar or something while putting their ID in their pocket or something. I've seen some more strict RSO literally rip badges off :P

lastly avoid suits with cheap/poor fabric. I don't mean necessarily fabric-cheap-in-cost, but cheap-quality fabric. You'll know it when you see it (it looks homemade), and it makes you look terrible.

Beige-White suits are okay for those in humid/tropical climates. White suits, however, are Not Okay for Main State. They are considered Really Bad for A-100 or Orientation classes.

d1rtbag
Sep 13, 2012

Eternal Man-Child
If you don't want to pay for tailored shirts, shirt stays (or "shirt garters") are an easy solution. They clip to your shirt and socks, keeping your shirt from riding up and your socks from falling down. If you choose to go this route, pick up a single pair first, to see if they're comfortable for you - some people don't notice them, while others are irritated by them, so it pays to find out if they're right for you.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Appreciate the advice. Yeah I haven't really had that serious a job where I had to think too much about suits. I think for now I'm OK, though hopefully I won't be scrutinized that intensely.

I've forgotten completely about shirt-stays, haven't worn those since JROTC. Where do you find those? I haven't seen any in retail.

Edit: Wait so you all have shirt-guys?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Skandiaavity posted:

I am usually the wrong person to talk to for budget suits; but I believe the advice is still the same regardless of cost:

advice for suits while at State:

get your suits tailored. if your pants don't fit right or your shirt is halfway out or 'crumpled' near the hip it gets noticed very easily, and First Impressions can be quite important. At the very minimum get your slacks tailored. get a fitted or tailored shirt for semi-formal or public events. Once you can afford it just get your casual slacks tailored too. (If you are nearby them, UniQlo will sell jeans/slacks for reasonable price (also cotton suits, ~99$) and the tailoring is free.)

Skandiaavity means get them altered to fit -- not necessarily getting them custom tailored/made to measure. I mean, you can, and that's great (they'll fit really nice) but it's expensive unless you're in the developing world. I've found most people can get away with shirts, but you absolutely 100% need your trousers to fit in the waist and to be hemmed to the right length. The cost is negligible, that kind of alteration is maybe $10 per pair of pants. For your shirts, you should pick them so that they fit in the shoulders (and obviously the collar should close and be comfortable enough. Consider going up a half size on collars if you hate buttoning your top collar like me) but you can alter the sleeves inexpensively. You COULD alter how long the shirt is, but since it's tucked in anyway who cares?

quote:

for shoes i will tell you to get something professional-looking, but with emphasis on comfort. clarks/hush puppies are perfectly fine for regular office wear/suits; just don't wear them to formal/foreign dignitary events.

Here's a huge secret -- Cole Haans run you $60-$140 at a DSW or other similar shoe warehouse, look fabulous, are good quality, and have Nike Air in the soles so they are comfortable for long periods. Or order them from Zappos, send back the ones you don't like. I'd recommend a very nice looking driving shoe as an "every-day office" shoe, since you can walk miles in them and be comfortable; a classier wingtip for formal events (though TBH, nobody looks at your shoes. I wore my Cole Haan driving shoes to meetings with the PM and Deputy PM, and every other dignitary meeting just fine).

quote:

Never button the bottom/last button. If you do, don't be upset that nobody will take you seriously.

Eh. If you ever button your jacket it's likely only going to be the top button anyway.

quote:

Be mindful of your ID when taking photos. If you see someone about to take a photo with it open, give them a hand and 'adjust' their suit collar or something while putting their ID in their pocket or something. I've seen some more strict RSO literally rip badges off :P
A good general policy, but some posts are more strict or less strict than others about it. For instance at my post, people took their ID off to prevent theft, but the RSOs never got on anyone about photos in which they were wearing their badge. But, a good policy is to always tuck your badge away or stow it somewhere when you walk out the door from work -- in DC, you'll look like a scrub if you walk around with your ID out (it's a red flag that you're an intern/transient/newbie), in other places it may make you a target.

quote:

lastly avoid suits with cheap/poor fabric. I don't mean necessarily fabric-cheap-in-cost, but cheap-quality fabric. You'll know it when you see it (it looks homemade), and it makes you look terrible.
For the love of god, pay more money for your suits. Unless you know what you're doing, cheap price = cheap fabric, and it looks awful. Like, worse than bad 1960's mafia goon, worse than bad 1990's Russian vory goon. Jos. Banks or Men's Wearhouse are the lower limit of where you should get your suits. Any cheaper and you will visibly compromise on quality.

quote:

Beige-White suits are okay for those in humid/tropical climates. White suits, however, are Not Okay for Main State. They are considered Really Bad for A-100 or Orientation classes.

Beige suits are OK anywhere except they look awkward when there's snow on the ground. That said, a beige/tan suit is a staple wardrobe item and should be in your first 5 suits. They look really good -- you end up looking like Michael Weston from Burn Notice without even trying. White or Seersucker -- only if you're Col. Sanders or are wearing them for a gimmick (we did a day at post where everyone wore it.)

I love suit-chat. My wife used to major in fashion design, so I got into it as well.