Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
So I applied for an internship at some kind of a non-profit software company. They emailed me back saying that the internship pays $10 an hour, and they sent a list of questions for me to answer in an email. The thing is, I'm in a little bit of a bind. I'm working now doing InDesign and software testing type stuff, so I'd love to get the experience of this internship, but i'm making $20 an hour now, and I'm in school more or less full time.

Is that pay rate too low? I'm in a place where I would think it would be decent rates (Baltimore). Can I reasonably hope to get an internship that pays as much as I am making now?

Also, the job I'm at now is always sort of up in the air. I've been there for about 16 months, but it's basically doing content preparation and development (edit: but no actual coding) for an app which is sort of a growing library of ebooks with a lot of interactive content (translations, commentaries, hyperlinks, etc) and we finished one huge project, and are now working on a few smaller ones. The thing is, it's also technically a non-profit and since a lot of our funding comes from donations, we're never sure if there will be anything that is approved after our current project until the last minute.

So I have about a year and a half left of school, and would love to find an internship. But it's going to be hard leaving now or soon if the internship is only going to last a couple months, as I need the money. Do any internships let you stay on as an intern for a while if you do well? Any tips on how to try to transition?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

If microsoft agreed with me I'd be more worried. How's winpho doing in its 3rd decade again?

Man, I just bet those grapes would have tasted really sour anyway!

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Who says we don't have backbone?

Doghouse posted:

So I applied for an internship at some kind of a non-profit software company. They emailed me back saying that the internship pays $10 an hour, and they sent a list of questions for me to answer in an email. The thing is, I'm in a little bit of a bind. I'm working now doing InDesign and software testing type stuff, so I'd love to get the experience of this internship, but i'm making $20 an hour now, and I'm in school more or less full time.

Is that pay rate too low? I'm in a place where I would think it would be decent rates (Baltimore). Can I reasonably hope to get an internship that pays as much as I am making now?

Also, the job I'm at now is always sort of up in the air. I've been there for about 16 months, but it's basically doing content preparation and development for an app which is sort of a growing library of ebooks with a lot of interactive content (translations, commentaries, hyperlinks, etc) and we finished one huge project, and are now working on a few smaller ones. The thing is, it's also technically a non-profit and since a lot of our funding comes from donations, we're never sure if there will be anything that is approved after our current project until the last minute.

So I have about a year and a half left of school, and would love to find an internship. But it's going to be hard leaving now or soon if the internship is only going to last a couple months, as I need the money. Do any internships let you stay on as an intern for a while if you do well? Any tips on how to try to transition?

$10/hr is very, very low. If you want to work in the open-source world you can probably just code code code in your free time until you can convince someone to give you a shot (with a real salary).

That being said, the first gig I took was a combo of SEO/PPC and development, and I started at 25k. I used my time there to try new things and quickly got out of there as soon as I got the chance.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
If a company you applied to writes back with "Well we can't accept you for this job but please apply to something else," do they really mean it?

It was for a language I haven't done in a while, so it feels like "we like you but try for something related to what you've done immediately."

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?
A decent company will pay a software engineer intern about the same as what a new grad makes except hourly. That's about how much I got paid at ExxonMobil (plus you get time and a half for overtime), but I was offered $15/hr at National Instruments. I also had an offer at a company in Japan, but that wasn't software related.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

2banks1swap.avi posted:

If a company you applied to writes back with "Well we can't accept you for this job but please apply to something else," do they really mean it?

Does it matter? Make the application and put the onus on the company to decide whether they mean it or not. Remember: if you don't apply you are excluding yourself.

Whenever I've said that I mean it but it's rare. If I don't want a candidate working for me then I probably don't want him in a different part of the organization doing anything similar and so I wouldn't suggest they apply to something else.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Tomahawk posted:

Yes, I'd really appreciate that, thank you! My email is onbrokenwings at gmail dot com

Just added you on GCHat. I'll be around tonight and all weekend.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Doghouse posted:

Also, the job I'm at now is always sort of up in the air. I've been there for about 16 months, but it's basically doing content preparation and development (edit: but no actual coding) for an app which is sort of a growing library of ebooks with a lot of interactive content (translations, commentaries, hyperlinks, etc) and we finished one huge project, and are now working on a few smaller ones. The thing is, it's also technically a non-profit and since a lot of our funding comes from donations, we're never sure if there will be anything that is approved after our current project until the last minute.

That's low, but since it's a non-profit I guess I'm not surprised. I made a similar wage coding as a research assistant at my school. I'm not sure one option is obviously better in this case.

There are definitely internships that pay as much as you make now though, I would look for summer internships at for-profit tech companies.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I was offered $13/hr by my university when I was still enrolled, and instead took a crappy contracting thing at $20/hr here in a crappy part of Florida. Don't settle for table scraps.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I was offered $13/hr by my university when I was still enrolled, and instead took a crappy contracting thing at $20/hr here in a crappy part of Florida. Don't settle for table scraps.

Don't underestimate research assistant job either. A lot of my most challenging and interesting work happened in a research lab before and during grad school. Although that might just be a testament to how dull and unimportant the work I've done since is.

Anyway I found this blog post by some dude Before You Graduate From Computer Science. I haven't read it all yet. It may or may not contain helpful advice. Use as directed.

I also contacted Amazon today and they said that the team that interviewed me is going to meet to discuss me sometime today and I'll have a response either today or early next week. Basically I'm not getting anything done today until I hear from them.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
No this was to be a web dev and it monkey, lolresearch.

I was getting a Bachelor's for that matter.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
If I'm interviewing for a webdev/UI type position, should I really expect algo questions like the ones in CTCI? I could learn that stuff easily enough but it seems like a lot of it wouldn't really come up in the kind of positions I'm applying for. I'm just trying to figure out what I should prep for.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

If I'm interviewing for a webdev/UI type position, should I really expect algo questions like the ones in CTCI? I could learn that stuff easily enough but it seems like a lot of it wouldn't really come up in the kind of positions I'm applying for. I'm just trying to figure out what I should prep for.

I interviewed at a Rails/JS shop once that did mostly webdev-like stuff and my coding challenges were standard CTCI-type stuff. When I interviewed at Dow Jones, which is mostly node.js stuff and other webdev-y things, I also had a CTCI-like code challenge (which was basically a modified binary search).

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

For bigger companies? Absolutely. Smaller companies? Maybe not.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Just yesterday I wrote the first for loop since I started here. So much "real world" programming is just glue coding it's kind of depressing.

Few months ago I wrote a lambda to make a list of lists out of a list :downs:

The only 'fun' stuff would be SQL sprocs or just walking through with a debugger.

I'm starting to see why web dev is looked down upon.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

No that just sounds like a really boring job.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Oh, making 15 versions (added together) of 3 js libraries work together stays pretty interesting. So does playing dodge ball with unannounced changes to the database and ill documented web services!

:shepicide:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Just yesterday I wrote the first for loop since I started here.
Wow.

quote:

So much "real world" programming is just glue coding it's kind of depressing.
That's what my internship at Goldman was like. Just passing around data with a little bit of work transforming it from one form to another. And yeah, it was pretty depressing.

Getting to work on the Android Kindle reading app was a lot cooler, I got to actually make things I could play around with. For example, if you read Kindle manga content either on a regular Android device or a Kindle Fire, I did the plurality of work on that content type in the app itself, and if you double-tap to go into virtual panel mode and tap around with the navigation animations to go between panels, that part is pretty much 100% my code.

In conclusion get a different job.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Just yesterday I wrote the first for loop since I started here. So much "real world" programming is just glue coding it's kind of depressing.

Few months ago I wrote a lambda to make a list of lists out of a list :downs:

The only 'fun' stuff would be SQL sprocs or just walking through with a debugger.

I'm learning MongoDB, kind of. Doing REST stuff, and some JS libraries (Knockout) and HTML. Also learning a lot about working with a large(r) team/company with lots of existing products and infrastructure.

I guess it's what you make of it man. I'm not really doing any more / less copy paste stuff than I used to do making inventory management backends. Also it depends on your definition of fun I guess. I could probably be doing boring-rear end tax software and still enjoy the work.

Unless the place legit sucks I guess.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I have written maybe one or two for loops since I started my current job a year ago.

But tons of foreach loops and LINQ extension methods :smug: :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hashrocket wants to do a Skype call on Monday! I'm kinda nervous :ohdear: I've interviewed before, but none of them went anywhere and I'm worried that it's because I'm bad at them. I applied for an "Apprentice" position, so I'm not entirely sure what the interview would be about, but I can't imagine it'd be particularly difficult. (EDIT: This is the position. I understand what is expected of me, but I still don't know what questions they will ask.)

Worst case scenario I learn a lesson I guess v:v:v...

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 7, 2014

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pollyanna posted:

Hashrocket wants to do a Skype call on Monday! I'm kinda nervous :ohdear: I've interviewed before, but none of them went anywhere and I'm worried that it's because I'm bad at them. I applied for an "Apprentice" position, so I'm not entirely sure what the interview would be about, but I can't imagine it'd be particularly difficult.

Worst case scenario I learn a lesson I guess v:v:v...
Haha, me too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Awesome. What location?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pollyanna posted:

Awesome. What location?

I told them anywhere, because I don't care. I also applied more for the developer position than the apprentice position, but I'd probably be happy with either (which is basically an open invitation to hire me as a developer but not pay me much).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I told them anywhere, because I don't care. I also applied more for the developer position than the apprentice position, but I'd probably be happy with either (which is basically an open invitation to hire me as a developer but not pay me much).

Yeah, I went for the apprenticeship since I'm relatively inexperienced :ohdear:

The one thing bugging me is that I may have to drop to two classes per term, but I already committed to 3 this term. Oh well, I'll be fine.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

I like that they give you your birthday off, that's a nice touch.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

You're making way too broad of a generalization based off of a single job.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, I went for the apprenticeship since I'm relatively inexperienced :ohdear:

The one thing bugging me is that I may have to drop to two classes per term, but I already committed to 3 this term. Oh well, I'll be fine.

Good luck. They look like a really cool company. (They're also the first job I've applied to out of about 40 that didn't claim to be disrupting how brands are expressed in the social sphere or something equally obnoxious).

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Barf. Kept coming up with O(n^2) solutions even with handholding.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

biochemist posted:

Eh, that's not uncommon, still happens to me in interviews because often the 'trick' to getting the run time faster is unintuitive. Like the example in the OP, yeah it's obvious in retrospect, but at the time I didn't get it until my interviewer basically acted out the operation using whiteboard markers.

perfectfire
Jul 3, 2006

Bees!?

biochemist posted:

Amazon interview? Please, tell more. Especially the questions because I'm avoiding doing any work.

biochemist
Jun 2, 2005

Cicero posted:

Eh, that's not uncommon, still happens to me in interviews because often the 'trick' to getting the run time faster is unintuitive. Like the example in the OP, yeah it's obvious in retrospect, but at the time I didn't get it until my interviewer basically acted out the operation using whiteboard markers.

I guess we'll see what happens. I really should've gone for a practice interview but instead I opted to study data structures since I didn't know much. I learned a lot in the last week, that's for sure.

But now it's the weekend, I'm gonna go have fun. Thanks for all of your help!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Some you just get, some you need a bit of help. There was one completely dumb questions where I just didn't understand the interviewer (he was a terrible interviewer).

I don't look forward to reviewing all of this poo poo in 18-24 months when I want a new job, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So it has come to light that part of the interview process for the company I applied to involves a week of paired programming before you hear whether you're hired, and as far as I can tell you are not compensated for it. "Each day during the week the candidate will pair with a different Hashrocket developer on a real project" isn't very clear, but I have my qualms about it if I would be expected to contribute to their own consulting projects instead of either internal development, or a course designed for evaluating prospective employees.

Additionally, the position has points on its listing like "salary based on experience" (fair enough?), "you MUST be able to work full-time at one of our offices" (I would have to reduce courseload to work there), "familiarity with Vim" (there appears to be no alternative!), and what gives me the most pause: "35 hours billable client work and 5 hours of open-source contributions per week" (I'm not even paid for 40 hrs/week!?).

Suddenly, I am not so sure about this. The interview would have been both ways regardless (I'm evaluating them as much as they are evaluating me), so at the very least I won't have nothing to ask about at the "any questions?" stage. On the other hand...I do not have many opportunities, like, at all, so I may have to take what I can get. That said, I want it to be worthwhile, because I would be delaying my Masters degree by going from full-time to part-time - plus, I want to leverage it into a higher-level job at some point.

Are my worries unrealistic, or should I be wary of this?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

"35 hours billable client work and 5 hours of open-source contributions per week" (I'm not even paid for 40 hrs/week!?).
That's not what that means. For consultants, billable hours are, well, hours where you're doing client work that you can charge the clients money for.

quote:

"you MUST be able to work full-time at one of our offices" (I would have to reduce courseload to work there),
I'm confused, I thought you were talking before about finding jobs in the Boston area to relocate to? Did you think a company would pay to relocate you for part-time work?

edit: It sounds like you don't really know whether you actually want to be a software engineer, because if you did it probably wouldn't bother you much to have to switch to part-time school for a master's program. You already have a bachelor's in a technical field, so even dropping out wouldn't have much impact on your career path if you got good work experience right from the get-go.

edit2: A whole week for interviewing does sound kind of crazy though, that'd definitely put me off, especially if it's unpaid.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 8, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

So it has come to light that part of the interview process for the company I applied to involves a week of paired programming before you hear whether you're hired, and as far as I can tell you are not compensated for it. "Each day during the week the candidate will pair with a different Hashrocket developer on a real project" isn't very clear, but I have my qualms about it if I would be expected to contribute to their own consulting projects instead of either internal development, or a course designed for evaluating prospective employees.

Additionally, the position has points on its listing like "salary based on experience" (fair enough?), "you MUST be able to work full-time at one of our offices" (I would have to reduce courseload to work there), "familiarity with Vim" (there appears to be no alternative!), and what gives me the most pause: "35 hours billable client work and 5 hours of open-source contributions per week" (I'm not even paid for 40 hrs/week!?).

Suddenly, I am not so sure about this. The interview would have been both ways regardless (I'm evaluating them as much as they are evaluating me), so at the very least I won't have nothing to ask about at the "any questions?" stage. On the other hand...I do not have many opportunities, like, at all, so I may have to take what I can get. That said, I want it to be worthwhile, because I would be delaying my Masters degree by going from full-time to part-time - plus, I want to leverage it into a higher-level job at some point.

Are my worries unrealistic, or should I be wary of this?

You will learn more pair programming with people that know what they are doing than you would doing basically anything else, so in my opinion you would be insane to not at least go and try this out, viewing this as a training bootcamp.

I agree with Cicero regarding both things he commented on.

They also only ask one fifth of people they interview over Skype to audition, and you have neither "some professional programming experience" nor Rails knowledge, so you might not even get it.

Cicero posted:

edit2: A whole week for interviewing does sound kind of crazy though, that'd definitely put me off, especially if it's unpaid.

I would agree with you about this for a lot of people but this is basically a godsend for Pollyanna.

Edit: Also it looks like they cover your travel costs, your hotel, and pay some amount for the week.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 8, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would agree with you about this for a lot of people but this is basically a godsend for Pollyanna.
I just read the article and it sounds really intense, with Pollyanna's level of experience I have a really hard time seeing that work out. That said, even trying out would be good experience.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I applied for the same thing. I have 2 years of actual experience and I'd still be thrilled to take the apprentice position (although I applied for the dev job). It looks like a really great way to bootstrap your carrier.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
How do they expect to hire any experienced developers that are currently employed? There is a 0% chance I would take a week off from work just to interview with 1 company.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Don Mega posted:

How do they expect to hire any experienced developers that are currently employed? There is a 0% chance I would take a week off from work just to interview with 1 company.

Sometimes you don't want an A with a bunch of preconceptions. You want a moldable C you can train your way into an A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

biochemist posted:

Did you sort first.