Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Any care for a bit of :spergin: to say how long that takes to pay for itself vs. a white?
It depends on what you're using them for. Assuming you're using them for Destroy Enemy Camp (if I'm doing the math right), about 850 hours. However, after that 850 hours, you can turn around and put them right back on the auction house again; they don't bind when you use them, so it's more of an asset than an expense.

Using them to level up more quickly isn't a bad idea, either, though much harder to quantify.

Also, they have plummeted in price over the past few months, and I really don't see them going down much further; there really has to be a price floor for them, and I can't imagine it being too much lower. I was thinking I got screwed paying 90,000 for them a few months ago, but running the numbers, they more than paid for themselves.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011
Question for you, Subjunctive: I believe the tailoring script is inefficient, but I could be wrong. I adjusted mine to be as follows:

code:
            taskName:"Tailoring",
            level: {
                 0:["Hire your first Weaver"],
                 1:["Cloth Boots","Cloth Shirt"],
                 2:["Cloth Robes","Gather Wool Scraps","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                 3:["Cloth Robes","Gather Wool Scraps","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                 4:["Cloth Robes","Gather Wool Scraps","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                 5:["Cloth Robes","Gather Wool Scraps","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                 6:["Cloth Robes","Gather Wool Scraps","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                 7:["Detailed Cloth Tunic","Gather Cotton Scraps","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                 8:["Detailed Cloth Trousers","Gather Cotton Scraps","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                 9:["Detailed Cloth Trousers","Gather Cotton Scraps","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                10:["Detailed Cloth Trousers","Gather Cotton Scraps","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                11:["Detailed Cloth Trousers","Gather Cotton Scraps","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                12:["Detailed Cloth Trousers","Gather Cotton Scraps","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                13:["Detailed Cloth Trousers","Gather Cotton Scraps","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                14:["Ornate Cloth Tunic","Gather Shimmerweave Scraps","Upgrade Outfitter","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                15:["Ornate Cloth Trousers","Gather Shimmerweave Scraps","Upgrade Outfitter","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                16:["Ornate Cloth Trousers","Gather Shimmerweave Scraps","Upgrade Outfitter","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                17:["Ornate Cloth Trousers","Gather Shimmerweave Scraps","Upgrade Outfitter","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                18:["Ornate Cloth Trousers","Gather Shimmerweave Scraps","Upgrade Outfitter","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                19:["Ornate Cloth Trousers","Gather Shimmerweave Scraps","Upgrade Outfitter","Upgrade Weaver","Hire an additional Weaver"],
                20:[],
I know this causes the toon to get a shitload of trousers in their inventory, but from what I can tell, even if you cut out the items, running the normal gather and weave seems to output a lot more XP/hour than the deep gather. I ran with the trousers and just routinely (like, once a day) sold 'em via the gateway during the 30-60 seconds of downtime between toons when it goes to refine. Perhaps a toggle to "craft and sell via vendor" so it can do that automatically?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I agree the professions could be optimized a lot more but I don't know if the script supports selling items? Platesmithing needs some tweaking due to it filling up slots with extra plate smiths instead of leaving them empty, it results in a lot of Hiring additional miners. I suppose once you're stuffed with miners it won't be a problem since you can swap them to your next character to level up, but I think the first run to level 20 could have plenty of time shaved off.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

So PW has just announced that next week will be the week they rotate lockboxes again, and I've been reading around that generally that means tomorrow (Thursday) keys are going to go on sale. I've also seen mention that generally when keys go on sale, the AD->Zen conversion rate goes up.

Is this indeed a Thing That Happens, and if it is, is it a good idea to invest some of my liquid AD into Zen and then turn around and reconvert back to AD at a higher price? This is the first time since I've started playing a lockbox switch has occurred, and if it's a good idea that generally pays off I'm not doing anything else with the AD at the moment, and even if it doesn't go up massively, it's still Zen.

Also- huge thanks for the updated script. You people are amazing.

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

I agree the professions could be optimized a lot more but I don't know if the script supports selling items? Platesmithing needs some tweaking due to it filling up slots with extra plate smiths instead of leaving them empty, it results in a lot of Hiring additional miners. I suppose once you're stuffed with miners it won't be a problem since you can swap them to your next character to level up, but I think the first run to level 20 could have plenty of time shaved off.

Nah, it's not set up to, but the fact that you can do so in the gateway makes me think it'd be possible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyntalan posted:

Nah, it's not set up to, but the fact that you can do so in the gateway makes me think it'd be possible.

It's possible, but tbh I'm scared of selling some artifact due to a bug in the script.

I'm sure things can be optimized, and I've thought about just removing the hiring parts entirely. Manually doing one per slot or whatever doesn't seem that much of a burden. I should probably look over the skill lists at some point, since I just inherited them. If there's a thread consensus on a new default for something, I'm happy to drop it in.

Edit: The script currently prefers gather to weave because it doesn't cost anything (no resources). I agree that it's probably not the best thing for everyone pretty much anyone.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 6, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FelixReynolds posted:

So PW has just announced that next week will be the week they rotate lockboxes again, and I've been reading around that generally that means tomorrow (Thursday) keys are going to go on sale. I've also seen mention that generally when keys go on sale, the AD->Zen conversion rate goes up.

Is this indeed a Thing That Happens, and if it is, is it a good idea to invest some of my liquid AD into Zen and then turn around and reconvert back to AD at a higher price? This is the first time since I've started playing a lockbox switch has occurred, and if it's a good idea that generally pays off I'm not doing anything else with the AD at the moment, and even if it doesn't go up massively, it's still Zen.

Also- huge thanks for the updated script. You people are amazing.
No keys on sale, but bank slots are (totally buying some bank slots, probably two sets on my main).

Personally, I've taken a long position on Zen at this point; I feel like 330 is a pretty cheap price and dumped ~750,000 AD in them that I'm just holding; I think when something lots of people want goes on sale (like bags of holding or ioun stones), or something that makes a good investment (like keys), I would expect the price of Zen to go up, and I think historically that's held fairly true. You may have to buy and hold at a low point and hold them for awhile to take advantage of it, though.

I've only recently started playing the market too much, though, and my crystal ball certainly isn't any better than anyone else's.

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

It's possible, but tbh I'm scared of selling some artifact due to a bug in the script.

I'm sure things can be optimized, and I've thought about just removing the hiring parts entirely. Manually doing one per slot or whatever doesn't seem that much of a burden. I should probably look over the skill lists at some point, since I just inherited them. If there's a thread consensus on a new default for something, I'm happy to drop it in.

Edit: The script currently prefers gather to weave because it doesn't cost anything (no resources). I agree that it's probably not the best thing for everyone pretty much anyone.

I think at the very least it should default to the normal weave and gather as opposed to the intensive gather. Both those combined are way better than the intensive gather alone.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I'm OK with leaving the default crafting lists as is and letting the end user at least put a little effort into the script to get what they want out of it; I consider it a pretty small barrier to entry for those wanting their hands off crafting fix, but I've already worked out my own lists so it doesn't impact me either way.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I had some Zen sitting around from a long time ago, and decided to buy a companion to use for sword coast adventures while I'm bored at work. Is there any way to make them usable instead of just an item in my inventory via the web portal?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So, Rusted Iron Lockboxes have a chance to drop a container with Leadership assets in them specifically. I don't know if they're planning on making this a permanent part of lockboxes or not, but it certainly explains the sudden drop in Leadership assets prices awhile ago.

If the new lockboxes don't contain those leadership assets, I think it's a good bet that Leadership assets are going to climb in value. In any case, they're useful for passive AD harvesting. So, now may be a good time to buy.

Or I might be talking out my rear end and not have a loving clue.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Lockboxes have always had leadership asset packs.

tasukiscool
Feb 15, 2003

Voted most likely to be tied to train tracks 2007 - 2008
Slippery Tilde

Semisponge posted:

Lockboxes have always had leadership asset packs.

Nightmare lockboxes do, Feywild and Dark Forest unfortunately have Weaponsmith/Artificer asset packs.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyntalan posted:

I think at the very least it should default to the normal weave and gather as opposed to the intensive gather. Both those combined are way better than the intensive gather alone.

I think that sounds right. I'll update the script this weekend when I finish fixing (I think) the Chrome settings-saving bug.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So... what's the point of this new event? There's no plot, there's no interesting rewards, the challenges are all really simple, etc. I don't get it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

So... what's the point of this new event? There's no plot, there's no interesting rewards, the challenges are all really simple, etc. I don't get it.
"We're still alive! Look! We're a real MMO, with events! Join us, for free!"

Gravity Works
Aug 7, 2006

Break everything you love.

Don Tacorleone posted:

"We're still alive! Look! We're a real MMO, with events! Join us, for free!"

This, but I'm not complaining.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Gravity Works posted:

This, but I'm not complaining.

Me either. The free dyes are nice, but the colors are purple and gold or some poo poo; so it looks like it's going to be Saint's Row in Neverwinter for at least a little bit. The occasional ardent coin is nice too. I won't be going out of my way to complete any of the dumber ones like trying to keep my HP below 50% long enough to kill 5 mobs or w/e, but I'll do the easy ones as I get them.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

NatasDog posted:

Me either. The free dyes are nice, but the colors are purple and gold or some poo poo; so it looks like it's going to be Saint's Row in Neverwinter for at least a little bit. The occasional ardent coin is nice too. I won't be going out of my way to complete any of the dumber ones like trying to keep my HP below 50% long enough to kill 5 mobs or w/e, but I'll do the easy ones as I get them.

Do they require level appropriate enemies? If not it seems like it would be trivial to do this event in newbie zones.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

WebDO posted:

Do they require level appropriate enemies? If not it seems like it would be trivial to do this event in newbie zones.

AFAIK you can, but I'm not going to bother for the rewards that are being offered. It's not like level appropriate mobs are exactly hard to kill to meet the requirements in the first place, if you're even moderately competent at playing to your class's strengths. I'm just not about to strip off my Regen and Life Steal to keep myself below the 50% HPs needed to get that one box and instead I'll just wait out the timer and pick up the next challenge. Same with the "Drink 10 healing potions" one. I could go buy a stack of lessers to bang through between fights if I were so inclined, but the rewards aren't big enough or me to give that much of a poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

NatasDog posted:

so it looks like it's going to be Saint's Row in Neverwinter for at least a little bit
Dammit, now I have to actually play this game. :argh:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Got another "Please come back" email from Perfect World for Neverwinter.

I won't use the code, so someone else can use it.

It says it gets you two instant levels, an epic weapon, and a greater stone of health.

DXL97-T9X-59YZ

Oh, only works on Dragon server, btw.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Floppychop posted:

Got another "Please come back" email from Perfect World for Neverwinter.

I won't use the code, so someone else can use it.

It says it gets you two instant levels, an epic weapon, and a greater stone of health.

DXL97-T9X-59YZ

I snagged this. Thanks!

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011
Looking at it, Sub, intensive gather should yield more than normal gather. It's the creating of items in the middle of it all that's a lot faster. 100/hr for intensive, 60/hr for normal. Of course, the making of items means 500ish in 10 minutes each time, so...

Kialandi
Oct 3, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I got one too. I'm not coming back, but it would be nice to see this make someone happy. :unsmith:

XPJ63-X3M-71DS

Same item and server details.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kialandi posted:

I got one too. I'm not coming back, but it would be nice to see this make someone happy. :unsmith:

XPJ63-X3M-71DS

Same item and server details.

I grabbed this one. Thank you!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Well...wow.

So I dinged 60 finally with my first character, and all of a sudden it seems like I have half the map I can now go to and do stuff in- way cool. So first stop was Gauntlgrym during event time, had a bit of fun running around collecting things, but afterwards even though my side won I wasn't high enough GS to get in to any of the dungeons. Okay, no problem. I'm here looking at all these campaign rewards for Sharandar and Dread Ring, I'll head over there and do those zones and get some nice gear to come back and do dungeons.

I head to Sharandar, run through the opening quest line, do the first round of dailies...and dear lord, my head is spinning from all the different little tokens and sparks and concoctions and keys and whatnot I'm getting.

Is there a guide for the 'end game' process available somewhere, or barring that does someone want to outline the cliff notes version? I am looking at all the T1 and T2 gear and whatnot in the rewards section, and some of it seems like it's purchasable from some of the merchants for a combination of AD + Special tokens, but then there are also the bounty marks I can trade in, and there is the Celestial Coin thing you can get that gives you more Sparks, and I'm just rather confused. I'm just wanting to get a decent set of T1 gear. It looks cool, and I'm hoping it will bump my GS high enough to get in to things, but man my head is about to explode. :D

It probably didn't help that I marathoned through an all-nighter to ding 60, so if any of this made less than total sense I do apologize in advance. Thanks!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

FelixReynolds posted:

my head is spinning from all the different little tokens and sparks and concoctions and keys and whatnot I'm getting.
And now you understand the thread title.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Saw a key in my email and I don't play this anymore so here you go:

YSX63-Y9J-87PY

"This offer is only valid on the Dragon server."

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FelixReynolds posted:

Well...wow.

So I dinged 60 finally with my first character, and all of a sudden it seems like I have half the map I can now go to and do stuff in- way cool. So first stop was Gauntlgrym during event time, had a bit of fun running around collecting things, but afterwards even though my side won I wasn't high enough GS to get in to any of the dungeons. Okay, no problem. I'm here looking at all these campaign rewards for Sharandar and Dread Ring, I'll head over there and do those zones and get some nice gear to come back and do dungeons.

I head to Sharandar, run through the opening quest line, do the first round of dailies...and dear lord, my head is spinning from all the different little tokens and sparks and concoctions and keys and whatnot I'm getting.

Is there a guide for the 'end game' process available somewhere, or barring that does someone want to outline the cliff notes version? I am looking at all the T1 and T2 gear and whatnot in the rewards section, and some of it seems like it's purchasable from some of the merchants for a combination of AD + Special tokens, but then there are also the bounty marks I can trade in, and there is the Celestial Coin thing you can get that gives you more Sparks, and I'm just rather confused. I'm just wanting to get a decent set of T1 gear. It looks cool, and I'm hoping it will bump my GS high enough to get in to things, but man my head is about to explode. :D

It probably didn't help that I marathoned through an all-nighter to ding 60, so if any of this made less than total sense I do apologize in advance. Thanks!
I don't think there is a minimum gear requirement for Gauntlgrym; you might have trouble grouping with pubbies, but as far as actually being able to enter, you should be fine.

You should check the AH for cheap, substantial upgrades (there are a lot to be had for low prices). Then, most of your gearing up will be by going through dungeons and Gauntlgrym.

Do the dailies and weeklies in Sharandar and the Dread Forge; Dread Forge is a lot more straightforward, but instead of rushing the boons, you should save your resources for the gauntlets. Once you've got Adamantine gauntlets, start going for boons.

For Sharandar, there are three areas: each area has four quests, three typical kill/gather/mini-Lair quests, and one Lair. You can only do one total Lair per day. And yeah, there are five different token things you need to unlock poo poo:

Vibrant Seedlings/Abjuring Charms/Illyanbruen Blades: you get these by doing daily quests in each of the areas. You'll only be able to get seedlings until you unlock the Charms and Blades areas, which should be your priority. You can only get three of each per day (one for each mission). Eventually, you'll rack up so many seedlings and charms you won't need to keep doing those quests. Presumably, the same with blades, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Feywild Sparks: This is the main bottleneck to advancement. You get ten for collecting Feywild Crystals each day, and you can get 50 for completing the micro-dungeon you get as a weekly. Always do this.

Gold Crescents: you can trade poo poo you pick up off enemies for these, and you get one every time you do a quest in Sharandar, plus 7 for doing the daily Lair. Note that there are three different Lairs, but you can only do one per day unless you want to buy extra keys (you don't want to buy extra keys). Do the one in the first area until you unlock the third area; the one in the second area doesn't get you anything extra, and takes significantly longer to get through. Make sure you get the key from the leprechaun standing outside the Lairs before you go in.

You can also spend these things for gear, as you've seen; I don't think most of it is worth it, at least until you've unlocked everything, so don't worry about it for now.

For Dread Fort, you've basically got the same deal going on:

Vanguard Scrips = Crescents
Thayan Scrolls = Feywild Sparks
Thayan Cipher = Seedlings/Charms/Blades

The difference is that you get the Scrolls for running Lairs instead of for the gather quest that covers everything in Sharandar. Make sure you do your lair quest every day.

There's a treasure chest in the lairs that can only be unlocked with a gauntlet, that you craft one of every day. You can upgrade the gauntlet to get better poo poo, and this should be the thing you do first; get to an Adamantine Gauntlet as fast as you can. I can't speak as to how worth it it is, but you can buy Thayan Relic Fragments to get extra Thayan Scrolls on the AH for 3,500 AD; I bought, like, ten just to get to the gauntlet faster (there are Illyanbruen Relics for Sharandar, too, but they cost literally ten times as much). Once you've got your adamantine gauntlet, start unlocking boons.

Oh, and you can run two daily Lairs every time you unlock a new gauntlet if you buy another key (5000 AD and some scrips). Upgrading the gauntlet takes twenty hours. You can upgrade it, wait until that's done, craft your current gauntlet, run the lair, then do the upgrade quest and craft the new gauntlet. I generally found it worthwhile, but some people may disagree.

Each area also has a dungeon you're going to want to unlock when your gear score is high enough (the dungeon unlock tasks tell you how high that is).

Uh... I hope that's reasonably clear. Let me know if you have any questions.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Extra posted:

Saw a key in my email and I don't play this anymore so here you go:

YSX63-Y9J-87PY

"This offer is only valid on the Dragon server."

Cheers

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanatosian posted:

Gold Crescents: you can trade poo poo you pick up off enemies for these, and you get one every time you do a quest in Sharandar, plus 7 for doing the daily Lair. Note that there are three different Lairs, but you can only do one per day unless you want to buy extra keys (you don't want to buy extra keys).

You can do the quest for the crescent rewards without a key, you just can't open the chest at the end.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

You can do the quest for the crescent rewards without a key, you just can't open the chest at the end.
The degree to which this is not worth it cannot be overstated. :P

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanatosian posted:

The degree to which this is not worth it cannot be overstated. :P

Yeah, if you're that in need of some more crescents, just ask in the channel for some Fomorian Concoctions and trade them in. I was just :spergin:, as seems to be the thread theme.

Back to script hacking...

Cyntalan
Jun 28, 2011
Can I get in the queue for the purple alch tools?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyntalan posted:

Sure, I'll send them over now. Once I figure out your character name...

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 9, 2014

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Cyntalan posted:

If it's okay with all involved, could someone flick them my way when Cynt finished?

I'm - Felix Brightheart@felixkelll

Got a hold of you a few weeks back but then realized would be smarter to actually get all of my alts leveled enough with Alch that they can all make a go of trying back-to-back.

Also, think I figured out most of the Dread Ring/Sharandar system thanks to your post Thanatosian. Really, really helpful- thanks heaps!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FelixReynolds posted:

If it's okay with all involved, could someone flick them my way when Cynt finished?

I'm - Felix Brightheart@felixkelll

Got a hold of you a few weeks back but then realized would be smarter to actually get all of my alts leveled enough with Alch that they can all make a go of trying back-to-back.

Also, think I figured out most of the Dread Ring/Sharandar system thanks to your post Thanatosian. Really, really helpful- thanks heaps!

Sure, Cyntalan can just send them over when he's done.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Could I also be added to the purple assets queue?

Thanatos@Thanatosian777

Thanks, Subjunctive; tu es el hombre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
Are Rust Monsters still hitting the auction house for < 200k AD? I checked the other day when I heard someone talking about it, but the cheapest one I was able to find is 400k.

• Locked thread