Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Farking Bastage posted:

^^ I'm the only Cisco resource at this one :D

Don't you need a certain number of people to keep partner status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
^^ yep. This outfit was never a Cisco partner. They're Microsoft gold, but they brought me in because of Cisco knowledge

List of things I have done this week:( in no particular order )

Migrated an exchange box to office 365

Set up a desktop

Cleaned a virus

Added a vlan to a client's network ( who has their own in house IT ) after he hosed it up, set up VTP, STP, and inter-vlan routing

reinstalled AOL desktop for a little old lady

Set up a site to site tunnel between a fortigate and an ASA

The management here doesn't believe in matching service calls to skillsets. So I can be stuck de-virusing a PC for someone while a colleague flails wildly at a networking issue thats miles over his head before I get back and fix it in ten seconds.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 7, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I can count the number of times I've discounted work on one hand

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Farking Bastage posted:

They have been compromising laptops and phones left and right. Redirecting the hotel wireless registration pages to rootkits

Sounds like they're really... PUTIN on the ritz :dukedog:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

i worked at a MSP for a year and NEVER AGAIN

it was some nice experience but working in a corporate enterprise IT environment is just so much more relaxing

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

MJP posted:

This is the literal and complete truth about the MSP sphere. I worked in an NYC MSP for almost two years. Not only is it everything and the above where clients do not care, blame you, and you are forbidden from saving them money by good policies, but the fixes put into place are cowboy as hell. Not enough documenting happened and clients ended up only really trusting senior techs. Who got bonuses for revenue retention, so it wasn't even in their interest to spread knowledge.

Also, mine was so much all-helpdesk that there was no room for advancement. Got my 2k3 and then 2k8 MCSAs and got a "promotion" where instead of being remote all the time and having a reliable schedule, I was doing deskside support in addition. Kind of a step down.

I got out when the getting was good.

This is not a precedent, this is standard MSP practice. I had an hourly client at the MSP just after I started. It was a husband-and-wife capital investment firm. The daughter's ancient XPS laptop was having issues and it ended up that the power jack on the mobo was dead. They wanted us to repair it. Out of warranty, I looked up the cost of the mobo and did a quick calculation of time to do it at $165/hr (the hourly rate we did). I presented the cost to the guy of the time I'd already spent verifying what I could and how much it was worth, and how much it'd be to back up the stuff onto an external disk. At least they listened and bought a new laptop instead of the recovery, but I later found out we'd knocked it down by about 3/4ths. Personal poo poo for non-hourly clients was done for free.

The checks never bounced but we had stupid poo poo/personal poo poo all the time. If nothing else, that job motivated me to get my certs and skill up to make me too valuable to waste time asking a user if they'd REALLY rebooted their computer, and the guys who worked the floor and the phones were great guys. But it was one giant pyramid scheme of knowledge and bonuses.

Sounds like the MSP I work for

We had one client who had their hosted exchange email hacked. They also ran their business completely out of outlook with a ton of custom fields setup. About a month after the hack I get a call. One of the sales guy sold her a full sized server with SBS 2008 and had her run her own exchange, out of her house, on residential internet. I was tasked with migrating her 15 GB PST from the hosted exchange with customer attributes into the exchange server and make sure there was no data loss.

I never got the data to fully migrate. Between me and two of the onsite guys we wasted 100+ hours with various post server install issues and not one of them was billable.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 7, 2014

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A ticket came in to install Acrobat. It had no user name, a pc name with no listed owner in AD, and no phone number. And its High Priority.

Closing it and not giving even the slightest gently caress.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Great Beer posted:

A ticket came in to install Acrobat. It had no user name, a pc name with no listed owner in AD, and no phone number. And its High Priority.

Closing it and not giving even the slightest gently caress.

You can run a WMI query to see who's logged into that PC and go from there. But effort.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So an email came in. The Jr techs all had another meeting today.

They discussed psychometrics and personality assessment tests, then proceeded to discover their personality colour..

:stare:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

blackswordca posted:

They discussed psychometrics and personality assessment tests, then proceeded to discover their personality colour..

Dude, with the people you're working for, I fully expect to hear this story next week:

"So, we're not saying you have to study Scientology to advance in the company, but we feel that..."

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
.. to remove spyware from someone's laptop. Running Windows 8. So hosed up it won't even boot to desktop.

New computers are one long string of procedural gently caress yous here.

Want to go into safe mode? You're hosed; the only way to do that in Windows 8 is to reboot into safe mode from normal mode (you know, the mode that probably doesn't work if you're trying to go safe mode) or to physically interrupt the boot process so many times that Windows decides on its own to go into safe mode.

Want to boot off a CD? You're hosed, UEFI bios and "Secure Boot". At least for right now we can turn those off, but eventually they'll just take that option away.

I want to run off to Tibet and become a monk.

EDIT: It just got better. Want to manually install and update Malwarebytes because the spyware is blocking the update site? You're hosed, you have to install Malwarebytes on another computer, update THAT, then pull the files across.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 7, 2014

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

.. to remove spyware from someone's laptop. Running Windows 8. So hosed up it won't even boot to desktop.

Want to go into safe mode? You're hosed; the only way to do that in Windows 8 is to reboot into safe mode from normal mode (you know, the mode that probably doesn't work if you're trying to go safe mode) or to physically interrupt the boot process so many times that Windows decides on its own to go into safe mode.

Want to boot off a CD? You're hosed, UEFI bios and "Secure Boot". At least for right now we can turn those off, but eventually they'll just take that option away.

EDIT: It just got better. Want to manually install and update Malwarebytes because the spyware is blocking the update site? You're hosed, you have to install Malwarebytes on another computer, update THAT, then pull the files across.

can you run rkill on it first?

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.

sfwarlock posted:

Flatten it.

With a steamroller. :smug:

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

blackswordca posted:

Solid psychometrics are at the heart of a robust client satisfaction survey :colbert:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Assign a minion to burn a Linux CD with imgburn? You're hosed, imgburn now comes with spyware. Yes, you can opt-out, but your minion doesn't know enough to do that, and you shouldn't have to, that's loving sleazy. EDIT: And now you have two computers to clean. Well. One to clean and one to reimage, because at least you have an image for desktops except - you're hosed - you now have to call Microsoft and beg for more activations, because god forbid you should ever image a system, right?

Try to google for "System Speedup", the name of one of the malware installed? You're hosed, because Google will 'helpfully' return results for "PC speedup" and "computer speedup" and "registry cleaner". Yes, you can make Google verbatim, but you shouldn't have to, this is loving idiotic.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 7, 2014

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Dude, with the people you're working for, I fully expect to hear this story next week:

"So, we're not saying you have to study Scientology to advance in the company, but we feel that..."

RE: A thetan came in...it's blackswordca's fault.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

sfwarlock posted:

Assign a minion to burn a Linux CD with imgburn? You're hosed, imgburn now comes with spyware. Yes, you can opt-out, but your minion doesn't know enough to do that, and you shouldn't have to, that's loving sleazy. EDIT: And now you have two computers to clean. Well. One to clean and one to reimage, because at least you have an image for desktops except - you're hosed - you now have to call Microsoft and beg for more activations, because god forbid you should ever image a system, right?

Try to google for "System Speedup", the name of one of the malware installed? You're hosed, because Google will 'helpfully' return results for "PC speedup" and "computer speedup" and "registry cleaner". Yes, you can make Google verbatim, but you shouldn't have to, this is loving idiotic.

Honestly, this is what you get for not using the ISO Recorder Powertoy if you're still running XP/7, and 8 has native ISO support.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

evol262 posted:

Honestly, this is what you get for not using the ISO Recorder Powertoy if you're still running XP/7, and 8 has native ISO support.

7 can burn ISOs natively. 8 can actually mount them natively.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

sfwarlock posted:

Yes, you can make Google verbatim, but you shouldn't have to, this is loving idiotic.

Well, you can try, anyway. It still doesn't work half the time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sfwarlock posted:

Assign a minion to burn a Linux CD with imgburn? You're hosed, imgburn now comes with spyware. Yes, you can opt-out, but your minion doesn't know enough to do that, and you shouldn't have to, that's loving sleazy.
The ImgBurn I just downloaded from their homepage does not have spyware or adware or toolbars or whatever. So at this time it's not them being sleazy, but there are download sites that don't have qualms about bundling clean stuff with their own crap.

Also, Google verbatim with "system speedup" between quotes doesn't give me anything but pages containing exactly that string (on the first page at least).

I agree that all this ducking and dodging is getting annoying though.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I've had my first run-in with M86 Trustwave "Content Filters." Don't know poo poo about the things other than they've supposed to have been used for at least the last 3 years. They're powered on. Connected to a switch. Not doing a thing.

Only became my problem because they caught some special needs (Alternative learning) kid jacking it instead of class work. Meh.

Edit: ClopClop flash video if anyone is interested/cares.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

The ImgBurn I just downloaded from their homepage does not have spyware or adware or toolbars or whatever. So at this time it's not them being sleazy, but there are download sites that don't have qualms about bundling clean stuff with their own crap.

It's not the download site, it's them. Look at their forums, there's bitching all over it, and the author is like "it's not a problem, you can opt out :smug:" and one of the mods posted "anyone who blindly clicks next through an installer deserves what they get".

This is malware. Right here. By any definition.

Calling it "Search Protect" is lovely. Hiding it behind "express" and "custom" is extra lovely.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I noticed that when I tried to download a few days ago . Nope'd right the gently caress out of there.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
User files ticket. mad.radhu leaves his desk and walks across the building to fix problem, user says "Oh it's not that big of a deal, i'm busy, i'll deal with it later". Walk back and sit down. IM user a few hours later, tired of seeing an open ticket for an easy fix. Get no response. Try again a few hours later saying and user says they'll contact me when they want me to fix it.

THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS USER, COMPUTER JANITORS ARE NOT BORN LOOKING FOR MEANING

EXISTENCE IS PAIN TO A COMPUTER JANITOR, USER

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Close ticket with comment "User uncooperative, will not assist in the future"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Collateral Damage posted:

Close ticket with comment "User uncooperative, will not assist in the future" goatse attached.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Take picture of user, photoshop the middle finger template from AI on top of it, attach to ticket and close it.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 8, 2014

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Is there some reason that it needs to be done now? Can you not just comment that the user is unavailable/busy and then suspend the ticket?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm flying out for vacation on Sunday and a little bit ago I got an email from a lady in HR saying her PC is slow. I have auto reply on my Outlook saying I'm out until the 17th. She then replied to my auto-reply saying I need to get it done before I leave.

Fat loving chance.

I forwarded it to my boss and he replied that he is going to show it to the HR director on Monday about her unprofessionalism and that his employees deserve an uninterrupted vacation. She does this poo poo all the time, gently caress her so hard.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
Just as a general heads-up, you can install ImgBurn via Ninite.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

sfwarlock posted:

It's not the download site, it's them. Look at their forums, there's bitching all over it, and the author is like "it's not a problem, you can opt out :smug:" and one of the mods posted "anyone who blindly clicks next through an installer deserves what they get".

This is malware. Right here. By any definition.

Calling it "Search Protect" is lovely. Hiding it behind "express" and "custom" is extra lovely.
Weird, weird, weird. I literally just tried it then and it wasn't there. Same version number as in the screenshot. I wonder if it made any difference that I picked the download from their own mirror, rather than the 3rd party ones listed on their site.

Ran it in Sandboxie and denied any outgoing connections during the install, but I'd be surprised if that's what made the difference.

Anyway, if it's them, then forget what I said and they can go eat a bag of dicks.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Flipperwaldt posted:

Weird, weird, weird. I literally just tried it then and it wasn't there. Same version number as in the screenshot. I wonder if it made any difference that I picked the download from their own mirror, rather than the 3rd party ones listed on their site.

Ran it in Sandboxie and denied any outgoing connections during the install, but I'd be surprised if that's what made the difference.

Anyway, if it's them, then forget what I said and they can go eat a bag of dicks.

It is strange. I do see the complaints on the forum he's talking about, yet I just downloaded it myself (I used the download link from Digital Digest) and didn't get that screen either.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I wonder if it made any difference that I picked the download from their own mirror, rather than the 3rd party ones listed on their site.

I did the same thing.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Well, not really. I'm moving out of my friend's house tomorrow morning to a 1-bedroom apartment five miles away. I've been living here for five years now, and we came to the consensus that it was time for me to get the gently caress out. I'm actually pretty happy to do so, since my friend's idea of a comfortable temperature is around 63 degrees in winter, and since it's his house and he pays the utilities I walk around bundled up like an eskimo. I've got pretty much everything packed up and ready to go, picked up the keys to the apartment this afternoon, and my brand new furniture is coming at 8am tomorrow, with the cable technician scheduled to arrive between 11am and noon. I've planned out the apartment layout, but I'm sure I'll make some changes once I have everything moved in and see how I like the way it looks. I definitely need to buy a new computer desk - the folding tables I've used for the last ten years are convenient, but they're beat to hell after three moves and I want something that goes with the rest of the furniture and doesn't scream "Cheap loving Bastard".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A ticket came in...

... I broke the build for the first time at my new job :negative:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Farking Bastage posted:

Working for a MSP has put a lot into perspective for me.

[...]

I thought I had seen the worst of the "problem user" until I dealt with one that's paying for it, that refuses good advice, and then holds me accountable for the disaster when it happens. It's really a different world when the dumbasses are paying you.

I should seriously start a thread of some of the stupid poo poo that customers tell me. By customers, I don't mean the project managers, but I mean the sysadmins and engineers on the customer side. Just today, I heard some whoppers:

(after giving a customer a /28 subnet)
"Why is the default gateway not .1? .65 is such a weird default gateway! Can i talk to your network engineers?"

I also had an argument with a customer who demands hot spares for his raid0 setup. I don't even think the raid cards support it, but he really wants one.

Yes, raid0. They are convinced that raid1 and raid10 are "too slow"

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Earl of Lavender posted:

Just as a general heads-up, you can install ImgBurn via Ninite.

At this point ninite is the safest way to install pretty much any of the programs listed on the site. Especially if you're having to get a user to do it themselves. Everybody seems to be bundling conduit with their products now, how the hell much money do those guys have? Why are so many companies who develop free software suddenly okay about including straight-up malware with their product? They must be waving around really fat stacks of cash to be so omnipresent in the world of free windows software. I have to de-conduit at least 2 pcs a week at this point.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Theresa Frontpage posted:

At this point ninite is the safest way to install pretty much any of the programs listed on the site. Especially if you're having to get a user to do it themselves. Everybody seems to be bundling conduit with their products now, how the hell much money do those guys have? Why are so many companies who develop free software suddenly okay about including straight-up malware with their product? They must be waving around really fat stacks of cash to be so omnipresent in the world of free windows software. I have to de-conduit at least 2 pcs a week at this point.

I'm just waiting until they get past ninite's auto-system somehow. Or like... make you solve a captcha not to install spyware.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Theresa Frontpage posted:

If I didn't block access to the streaming sites during March Madness the entire sales department literally does nothing. No outbound calls, people letting incoming calls go to voicemail, seriously. It's the only time I've ever been asked to block something by management.

It never ceases to amaze me that management will solve this problem by blocking internet sites, instead of loving firing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

nitrogen posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that management will solve this problem by blocking internet sites, instead of loving firing people.

Management inevitably asks me if I can just block the sales department from the sites so the managers can be exempt. ( I can't )

It's a sports organization, so I guess they just assume people are gonna always be watching sports no matter how many people they fire. It's hard to fire people in Ontario, and hard to deal with having to fill a vacancy on short notice anywhere.

• Locked thread