Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How did you get a tax return today? When did you file?

January 28

vulturesrow posted:

How much is Gamestop, et al, giving for a 3DS?

The local game store said $75 in credit.

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I just picked up an xl fire emblem bundle on amazon, but I've never owned a hand held outside my phone and tablet. What's the most recommended place to pick up games for cheap? Amazon? I recently discovered the hilarious prices for ps3 games at pawn shops for like 3-10 dollars, but I didn't see any 3ds games in there

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there's an xl fire emblem bundle?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Awesome! posted:

North America never got it but Europe and Japan did.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I thought that was a regular 3ds bundle

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Awesome! posted:

I thought that was a regular 3ds bundle

Europe had an XL bundle. Japan had a regular 3DS bundle because Awakening came out before the XL over there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Wondering if anyone could recommend (or not) Pilotwings resort? It keeps catching my eye but I hate to buy it if it's no good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

vulturesrow posted:

Wondering if anyone could recommend (or not) Pilotwings resort? It keeps catching my eye but I hate to buy it if it's no good.

Only buy it if it's $10 or less. There really isn't much to do in the game and it feels more like an extended tech demo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

vulturesrow posted:

That's like a $5 game, in my opinion. I got it at launch, but there's barely a game there (not unlike Pilotwings 64), and the 3D probably doesn't hold up compared to newer 3DS games.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

That's like a $5 game, in my opinion. I got it at launch, but there's barely a game there (not unlike Pilotwings 64), and the 3D probably doesn't hold up compared to newer 3DS games.

Does anyone ever actually use 3D? I've had mine pretty much permanently off since I got mine and whenever I turn it on I say "That's annoying" and shut it off.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Awesome! posted:

I've been looking to pick up a 3DS XL since Christmas time, and found that one while keeping an eye on prices here in Europe. It's a real pity that I wasn't interested when it first came out, because it's blue and has some really nice art on it.

I actually managed to pick up a Blue 3DS XL for £118 today, so I finally managed to pick one up at a price I was looking for.

Also, I meant to ask, having looked into Fire Emblem I feel it could be something I'd really enjoy, in fact I ended up buying it alongside the new Zelda game. I was wondering if it had similar gameplay elements to Age of Empires/Age of Mythology for the DS (if anyone played those), as the tactical screen looked kind of like it? AoE and AoM are easily my most played DS games, and I'd love to play more like it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

G-Whizard posted:

Does anyone ever actually use 3D? I've had mine pretty much permanently off since I got mine and whenever I turn it on I say "That's annoying" and shut it off.

I used it in Link Between Worlds, 3D Land, Fire Emblem and maybe one or two others but I keep it off 95% of the time. I've seen a decent chunk of people in the thread saying they always have it on though.

Link Between Worlds does 3D better than any other game on the system and I think you're missing out if you keep it off.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't use it either because I move around a lot and unless you're looking at it at the right perspective, it looks weird and out of focus.

I also have a slight astigmatism, but it affects far distances and not near, so I don't know if that has an effect.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

G-Whizard posted:

Some people use it and some people don't. It's best left at that before we have 4 pages of people saying the same things that are always said when this gets brought up.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

vulturesrow posted:

I havent tried your scripts yet since I just got the AP working last night but is there any chance you might write in a way to pull the updated MACs from the Google spreadsheet, or is that even necessary? How about a built-in randomizer when it pulls from macs.list?

In order:

1. Not easily*, but it's not very necessary either. If you pull the "Extended Prime MACs" list from the google doc, you'll have more MACs than you could reasonably use. Bear in mind, you can pull from any given MAC once every 8 hours per 3DS, and there's about 160 on the EPM page.

2. Built-in randomizer is also difficult to do*, but you can pre-randomize your list. If you have your list of macs, just run 'sort -R macs.list > r_macs.list && mv r_macs.list macs.list'.

* The reason the script doesn't have anything fancy like automatic randomization or dynamic MAC pulling is because it was written to run on the minimal version of DD-WRT, which is very tiny and comes without a lot of the basic functionality that a "proper" linux router would have, like curl or perl, and the routers it's mean to work on don't have enough spare storage space to store and run those utilities anyways. Dealing with getting the MACs and pre-randomizing them to taste means that all the script needs to store is "how many macs it has left to iterate through" and "what line of the macs list you're currently on".

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

G-Whizard posted:

99% of the time on full 3d. Love it and it works great for me.

The 1% I dont is a bumpy car ride or something.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
3D while commuting to work means nausea. Otherwise it looks pretty good, except in Pokemon where I find the transitions between the full 3D battles to the zero 3D environment about as painless, sleek and well done as playing chopsticks on a grand piano with your balls.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Khaba posted:

Also, I meant to ask, having looked into Fire Emblem I feel it could be something I'd really enjoy, in fact I ended up buying it alongside the new Zelda game. I was wondering if it had similar gameplay elements to Age of Empires/Age of Mythology for the DS (if anyone played those), as the tactical screen looked kind of like it? AoE and AoM are easily my most played DS games, and I'd love to play more like it.

There is no base building like in AOE (didn't play AOM) but it's turn based and somewhat hard like the later campaign missions in those series. Units have actual personalities in FE though. Personally I really liked both and if you are looking for a good game you can't go wrong with FE.

Question of my own: Are DS games region locked if I play them on the 3DS XL?

Davincie fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 7, 2014

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Davincie posted:

No, they are not. Only the 3DS games are.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

G-Whizard posted:

Depends on the game, I've been playing Dream Team lately and the 3D is pretty good in it.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

Davincie posted:

There is no base building like in AOE (didn't play AOM) but it's turn based and somewhat hard like the later campaign missions in those series. Units have actual personalities in FE though. Personally I really liked both and if you are looking for a good game you can't go wrong with FE.

Thanks for the feedback. As a follow up, do you know of any other games like the AOE DS game?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Davincie posted:

Most games are fine, but games that are "DSi Enhanced" won't work on a 3DS from a different region. There are only a few of those, but that includes the Pokemon Black and White series.

I think there's a list of DSi Enhanced games on Wikipedia. Make sure any games you buy aren't on that list.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

G-Whizard posted:

I turn it on every now and then. It's quite nice on the Etrian Odyssey games, and the parts that actually use it in Pokemon are great, aside from the slowdown.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Khaba posted:

Thanks for the feedback. As a follow up, do you know of any other games like the AOE DS game?

None with base building. You could try the Advance Wars DS games I guess since you can build units there (but no buildable buildings and research). You might be tempted to try Civilization Revolution, but you shouldn't since it's a very simplified version and I didn't like it at all.

I did get curious myself however if there were any games like it and google gave me Lock's quest which sounds pretty interesting. Never played it though.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Lock's Quest is pretty great. The plot is goofy as hell, but the actual gameplay owns.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

SC Bracer posted:

Lock's Quest is pretty great. The plot is goofy as hell, but the actual gameplay owns.

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip both of you.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

G-Whizard posted:

The air battle sections of Kid Icarus look REALLY nice with the 3D turned on. The ground battles, not so much.

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001
Ha! I was disappointed because my husband hadn't ordered the Bravely Default CE on Amazon like he said he would and he was really sorry and said we could get it on eBay or whatever if it came to that. Guess what showed up on my doorstep from Best Buy this morning? He forgot he ordered from them instead.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

G-Whizard posted:

I keep it at about half most of the time. I'll turn it off if I'm just doing dumb grinding or whatever, but whenever I'm doing something new, I make sure it's on.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Canned Panda posted:

The local game store said $75 in credit.

Might be a bit late, but I traded my 3DS in for an XL this morning and got $60 for the older system when I went to pick up Bravely Default.

And yes, I (finally) picked up Fire Emblem when I did. Huzzah for state tax refunds!

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Unoriginal posted:

Ha! I was disappointed because my husband hadn't ordered the Bravely Default CE on Amazon like he said he would and he was really sorry and said we could get it on eBay or whatever if it came to that. Guess what showed up on my doorstep from Best Buy this morning? He forgot he ordered from them instead.

Husband of the year award.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

Husband of the year award.

We are dumb, but we are not so dumb.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Just bought Virtue's Last Reward because 9.99GBP is a great price. I don't see myself able to get 999 before May at the earliest, so I was thinking of just skipping it and going through a Let's Play. Anyone got any recommendations of one you have enjoyed that will give me a good enough grounding to get going with VLR afterwards?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

BadAstronaut posted:

Just bought Virtue's Last Reward because 9.99GBP is a great price. I don't see myself able to get 999 before May at the earliest, so I was thinking of just skipping it and going through a Let's Play. Anyone got any recommendations of one you have enjoyed that will give me a good enough grounding to get going with VLR afterwards?

Here ya go: http://lparchive.org/999-Nine-Hours-Nine-Persons-Nine-Doors/

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
So I decided to be a cheap rear end in a top hat and try to buy a refurbished XL from Nintendo, but Nintendo seems to be pretty bad at the whole selling stuff online thing. They don't actually send out order confirmations nor do they process orders when you make them. Now I'm just waiting around wondering if I'm actually going to get charged or not because I have no clue if my order actually exists.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Raften posted:

So I decided to be a cheap rear end in a top hat and try to buy a refurbished XL from Nintendo, but Nintendo seems to be pretty bad at the whole selling stuff online thing. They don't actually send out order confirmations nor do they process orders when you make them. Now I'm just waiting around wondering if I'm actually going to get charged or not because I have no clue if my order actually exists.

You may want to call them and find out what the gently caress because everytime i've ordered something straight from nintendo I got order confirmations and they processed it relatively fast as long as it wasn't a Club Nintendo reward. Should come up under the name noaorders in your email.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!

Commissar Ken posted:

You may want to call them and find out what the gently caress because everytime i've ordered something straight from nintendo I got order confirmations and they processed it relatively fast as long as it wasn't a Club Nintendo reward. Should come up under the name noaorders in your email.

Yeah, the guy I got from support said that the order didn't even go through, so he sorted it all out for me.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

G-Whizard posted:

The 3D effect is pretty great in 3D Classics Sonic, but I keep it off in Etrian Odyssey. It seems like the effect is more annoying on games with busy interfaces.

Any thoughts on 3D Classics Kirby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

surrender posted:

The 3D effect is pretty great in 3D Classics Sonic, but I keep it off in Etrian Odyssey. It seems like the effect is more annoying on games with busy interfaces.

Any thoughts on 3D Classics Kirby?

3D Classics Kirby owns, as does Kid Icarus.

• Locked thread