Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

My favorite card is Figure of Destiny.

My foil Figure is one of my favorite things that I own.

Honorable mentions include Doran, the Siege Tower, (treefolk are my favorite tribe) Pillory of the Sleepless, Naya Hushblade, Seedborn Muse, and Wake Thrasher. At least those are the ones that come to mind immediately. Too many fun cards in this game, y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

SpruceZeus posted:

My favorite card is Figure of Destiny.

My foil Figure is one of my favorite things that I own.

This ties in with the thing about pet names but we always called figure Charmander - Charizard, the 1/1 form being an egg.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fausts Pen posted:

Amoeboid Changeling, because look at dat fukken face.

All I'm seeing is a Sliver that lets Sliver Overlord Steal not-Slivers. :smuggo:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Count Bleck posted:

All I'm seeing is a Sliver that lets Sliver Overlord Steal not-Slivers. :smuggo:

Pretty much exactly this.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

"I cast Akroma, Angel of Wrath."
"Akroma is now a monkey."

I'm also having a love affair with the Shattergang bros in EDH.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bread Set Jettison posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I really really like all of the Eldrazi. I had just restarted playing Magic at the tail end of worldwake, and the first card I saw from RoE was Ulamog and just thought whooooaaa how do I even use this? It was mind blowingly large and expensive, and just really really cool.

Also Vent Sentinel. RoE was the best.

It turns out t5 Ulamog is basically the best thing in EDH.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
My first deck ever was all about landing

and

Janky? Yes. Awesome? Yes.

Jolly Guy
Sep 24, 2011
It has to be Remand. I started with Innistrad so I haven't had a really great 2 mana counter spell in Standard (Started standard after Mana Leak was gone) and playing Modern and getting to Remand someone's Suspended Rift Bolt 4 turns in a row followed by a cryptic command is way too much fun! (Remand, Remand, Snapcaster Mage->Remand, Snapcaster Mage->Remand).

And a more recent one would be splinter twin, as out loud saying "I'm dead if this isn't Twin" and then flipping top card over to reveal twin is far too much fun.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Good ol' Psycatog! More tournament cards need to have a smile while wrecking tables. It may not seem much now, but there was a time when this card was notorious as one of the best creatures of all time and was played in a wide variety of control decks.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

One day this will be back in Standard and it will be brewed around.

So I think I ask it every new thread but why doesn't WotC or SCG support Block Constructed more? I think it leads to more interesting played decks than some other formats, with the downside being the chance to brew is theoretically less.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Good ol' Psychatog! More tournament cards need to have a smile while wrecking tables. It may not seem much now, but there was a time when this card was notorious as one of the best creatures of all time and was played in a wide variety of control decks.
I love my Ed Beard-altered Dr. Teeth more than any other card in my collection:

CHEFATOG!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Tamagod Sushi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Good ol' Psycatog! More tournament cards need to have a smile while wrecking tables. It may not seem much now, but there was a time when this card was notorious as one of the best creatures of all time and was played in a wide variety of control decks.

God drat he was ridiculous.

Blue/Black also had Shadowmage Infiltrator (a.k.a Finkeltron) in the same set.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 7, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Psychatog probably would still be pretty darn good if it weren't for that meddling R&D!

The same set also gave U/B players Teferi then Damnation in PLC and then later in that block 'Goyf was printed, spelling the doom of 'Tog.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 7, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Opened the first 9 packs of my booster box and my pulls were (in no particular order):

Phenax
Flame-Wreathed Phoenix
Temple of Malice
Gild
Fated Intervention
Silent Sentinal
Arbiter of the Ideal
Forgestoker Dragon
Fated Infatuation

Not bad. I am 25% of the way in to the box and will open more when I get home. The only thing I REALLY wanted in that group was the Phenax...the rest will more than likely be trade fodder.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=184592 back in my casual days this card was thrown in a green/white deck that ran
mirari's wakes,hunting grounds, defense of the heart, tooth&nail, and then a bunch of dumb huge green/white value creatures and phytohydra
i loved first turn playing a ferret and then from there proceeding to sneak out a bunch of giant idiots and having the ferret attack with them good times i miss that deck

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
For a long time when I was young, my favorite card was Starke of Rath, just for his flavor text. Then Apocalypse came out, and I ripped Pernicious Deed, and even better, Spiritmonger. My first loves will always be Stormbind and Zuran Orb, pulled from the first two packs I ever opened. I still have them, and despite being worth very little, they are never for trade.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?
My absolute favorite card was Rings of Brighthearth. I had two absolutely amazingly fun (for me) decks that ran it - a Mierieke Ri Beret deck that used it and Mangara to steal creatures while turning Mind Stones into Divinations and Urza's Factory into producing multiple bears per turn.

Then, once Time Spiral rotated, I had an awesome five color planeswalker control deck that absolutely beat all the other five color control decks at my FNM. I mean, what could they do on the draw against a turn 2 Fertile Ground, turn 3 Garruk Wildspeaker, untap two lands, Jace Beleren? Man, I miss that deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Allow me to change my favorite card to favorite cards:

Namely, anything with the creature typing "Weird"

Because Weirds are great and are what got me into MtG, along with Angels.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm doing my favourite two card combination from when I was twelve! When I was running an 85 card r/b deck of all my cool cards.

BEST COMBO!

Sorceress queen: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=14258

And dwarven thaumaturgist: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=9898

I make your dude a 0/2, then I make him a 2/0 bye bye!

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

UberJew posted:

I cast dark ritual a lot when I played casually as a kid

Is there any particular reason why they cut back on using quotations from Shakespeare, Coleridge, Poe, Keats, Plato, even the New Testament and the Qu'ran, and so forth, as flavor text? It's a real shame. Most of the recent flavor text is either unattributed, or ascribed to a planeswalker or some similarly trite person from the storyline. I know I can't be the only one to still remember the flavor text on cards like Phantom Monster, Giant Strength and Winter Blast.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

carborexic posted:

Is there any particular reason why they cut back on using quotations from Shakespeare, Coleridge, Poe, Keats, Plato, even the New Testament and the Qu'ran, and so forth, as flavor text? It's a real shame. Most of the recent flavor text is either unattributed, or ascribed to a planeswalker or some similarly trite person from the storyline. I know I can't be the only one to still remember the flavor text on cards like Phantom Monster, Giant Strength and Winter Blast.

No mixing the real world with the flavor world. They do still pull from real-world stuff in the core sets, M14 Pay No Heed is King Lear, for example.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 7, 2014

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Nothing was less fun than playing against turn 10 Upheaval, Tog, go with a Circular Logic in hand.

Dr. Teeth can eat a dick.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

No mixing the real world with the flavor world. They do still pull from real-world stuff in the core sets, M14 Pay No Heed is King Lear, for example.

I just wish they'd cite these explicitly, but yeah, good point.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Normally I'm a flavour guy but this made itself my pet anyway.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Mezzanon posted:

I'm doing my favourite two card combination from when I was twelve! When I was running an 85 card r/b deck of all my cool cards.

BEST COMBO!

Sorceress queen: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=14258

And dwarven thaumaturgist: http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=9898

I make your dude a 0/2, then I make him a 2/0 bye bye!

I was so happy when they brought this stupid combo back in Time Spiral with Serendib Sorcerer and Merfolk Thaumaturgist.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

carborexic posted:

I really enjoyed when they were explicitly doing this on the FNM/Judge promos. Especially when it doesn't quite work with the art.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

I really enjoyed when they were explicitly doing this on the FNM/Judge promos. Especially when it doesn't quite work with the art.

Man way to not link the best one (although Jackal Pup's is really good to be sure)

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Unironically this :3:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

OssiansFolly posted:

Opened the first 9 packs of my booster box and my pulls were (in no particular order):

Phenax
Flame-Wreathed Phoenix
Temple of Malice
Gild
Fated Intervention
Silent Sentinal
Arbiter of the Ideal
Forgestoker Dragon
Fated Infatuation

Not bad. I am 25% of the way in to the box and will open more when I get home. The only thing I REALLY wanted in that group was the Phenax...the rest will more than likely be trade fodder.

Sweet. I stopped by shop to check out what they were pricing some of the Born of the Gods cards at. Grabbed 4 packs for kicks and pulled Arbiter of the Ideal, Champion of Stray Souls, Eidolon of Countless Battles, and Mogis God of the Slaughter. Also had 2 Bile Blights which I asked the shop owner how much they were selling for and he replied $1 a pop. Sheesh...

A guy had bought a box and he was straight up cracking all the packs in the store. He had Brimaz, foil Xenagos, Mogis, Karametra, all three temples out in front of him and had about a third of the box to go

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Dehtraen posted:

Sweet. I stopped by shop to check out what they were pricing some of the Born of the Gods cards at. Grabbed 4 packs for kicks and pulled Arbiter of the Ideal, Champion of Stray Souls, Eidolon of Countless Battles, and Mogis God of the Slaughter. Also had 2 Bile Blights which I asked the shop owner how much they were selling for and he replied $1 a pop. Sheesh...

A guy had bought a box and he was straight up cracking all the packs in the store. He had Brimaz, foil Xenagos, Mogis, Karametra, all three temples out in front of him and had about a third of the box to go

I'm gonna end up breaking the rest of em open here within the hour. I will post the rest of the rares/mythics I get after. Hopefully I get a few more mythics to make this box worth it.

I know I have 1 or 2 Bile Blights sitting at home in the packs I've opened. I opened 4 archtypes so far...2 green, a red and a black. I am hoping that I open 1 or 2 of the blue archtype to use.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

carborexic posted:

Is there any particular reason why they cut back on using quotations from Shakespeare, Coleridge, Poe, Keats, Plato, even the New Testament and the Qu'ran, and so forth, as flavor text?

Maybe after the Zach Snyder adaptation of Hamlet drops the geek community will rediscover Shakespeare.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Korak posted:

So I think I ask it every new thread but why doesn't WotC or SCG support Block Constructed more? I think it leads to more interesting played decks than some other formats, with the downside being the chance to brew is theoretically less.
Take a look at the THS Block Constructed metagame and tell me how many rounds of coverage you would watch http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlineTourn.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/tourn/6710562

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

scribe jones posted:

Take a look at the THS Block Constructed metagame and tell me how many rounds of coverage you would watch http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Digital/MagicOnlineTourn.aspx?x=mtg/digital/magiconline/tourn/6710562

That's...
That's a lot of Naya :stare:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

Man way to not link the best one (although Jackal Pup's is really good to be sure)

Man, why does the only version with the Waste Land quote have to be multi-hundreds of dollars? :(

Also, was there a run on Wasteland lately? I know I didn't pay $75 each for my regular ones a month or two back.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

That's...

I seem to remember one of the big pros saying once, "The way to decide what deck to play in a vacuum is just play the deck with the best mana."

And unless I'm looking at the lands wrong, the only two shards represented in THS were Naya and Esper.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

That's...

Naya's got all the best fixing (Temples, Caryatid) as well as most or all of the set's quality mythics (Xenagos, Polukranos, Elspeth, Stormbreath)

Block Constructed with one large set's worth of cards is pretty funny.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Man, why does the only version with the Waste Land quote have to be multi-hundreds of dollars? :(

Also, was there a run on Wasteland lately? I know I didn't pay $75 each for my regular ones a month or two back.

Probably due to the success of Jund Depths and Lands.dec recently. Only scrubs win with spells now.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite card is Rebecca Guay, followed by Phyrexian Arena. MM Dark Ritual into Phyrexian Arena feels amazing.

Is devotion catching on in any of the eternal formats? Should I buy them now or wait until Theros block rotates, is what I'm saying.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

My favorite card is Rebecca Guay, followed by Phyrexian Arena. MM Dark Ritual into Phyrexian Arena feels amazing.

Is devotion catching on in any of the eternal formats? Should I buy them now or wait until Theros block rotates, is what I'm saying.

In Legacy, Thassa often sees mainboard play as a one of in merfolk. Beyond that? Not that I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ragnar34 posted:

I've seen people futzing with MBC using Gray Merchant as a finisher in Modern, though not to any great success. It's probably dead in the water without DRS, too, since every build I saw was super high-curve.

e: and Thassa as part of an Enlightened Tutor package in Legacy once or twice.

• Locked thread