Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I don't think I've ever seen a mid 70's SG that wasn't cherry red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Radio Help posted:

Find yourself a reputable guitar tech/luthier who can put in a bridge truss, fix your action and redress your frets. Most of those old Martins need a lot of work just due to being fogies, but they're worth putting the money into. I played on a 1890's Washburn parlor guitar a few weeks ago that had just been reworked, and it was a generally amazing experience. Washburns from that era aren't even all that great, either.

goddamn double pickguards were hideous tho
No argument here. Remember, this happened before I was even born.

This guitar doesn't need a bridge truss. It doesn't even need a fret dressing. What is needs (apart from a complete cosmetic restoration) is a neck reset and a new bridge piece. That's a lot.

The bridge piece needs to be restored. The neck needs to be reset. The frets are tiny but authentic and level. The pickguards, well... what can I say? I would do anything to have the instrument restored, and those pickguards have to go.
But even with Martin's lifetime warranty I probably can't do anything about that. Grandad would have had to do it, and he died two years ago. Like I said, it's an heirloom, not an investment. I cherish it regardless. It may be a bitch and a half to play, but goddamn that 76 year old instrument sounds AMAZING.

It isn't my fault Dad hosed it over. I wouldn't let anyone less than a Martin employee even touch it, much less work on it, no matter the cost.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Thumposaurus posted:

That's a Billy Gibbons thing, still not that cool but at least it has a reason.

the neck pickup route on a tele is the best place to hide drugs (behind a pickguard with no neck pup route of course), and i couldn't recommend more converting a tele into an esquire explicitly for that purpose. think of the tone, etc.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Dr. Faustus posted:

I wouldn't let anyone less than a Martin employee even touch it, much less work on it, no matter the cost.

That's your call to make but Martin probably won't help you out on that front. chances are good there are at least a few luthiers in your area who'd be more than happy to help you restore a sentimental guitar, though. (first year Roberto-Venn graduate != skilled dude who does it for fun) Most guitars from that era can benefit a bridge truss just due to the fact that 70+ years of string tension will cause even the sturdiest top to bow a bit at the bridge. it has a pretty profound effect on the action on old guitars

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 7, 2014

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Radio Help posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a mid 70's SG that wasn't cherry red

Fun fact: Calling an red SG "Candy Apple Red" will make Gibson fan-boys poo poo out a kidney in rage.

Dr. Faustus posted:

No argument here. Remember, this happened before I was even born.

This guitar doesn't need a bridge truss. It doesn't even need a fret dressing. What is needs (apart from a complete cosmetic restoration) is a neck reset and a new bridge piece. That's a lot.

The bridge piece needs to be restored. The neck needs to be reset. The frets are tiny but authentic and level. The pickguards, well... what can I say? I would do anything to have the instrument restored, and those pickguards have to go.
But even with Martin's lifetime warranty I probably can't do anything about that. Grandad would have had to do it, and he died two years ago. Like I said, it's an heirloom, not an investment. I cherish it regardless. It may be a bitch and a half to play, but goddamn that 76 year old instrument sounds AMAZING.

It isn't my fault Dad hosed it over. I wouldn't let anyone less than a Martin employee even touch it, much less work on it, no matter the cost.

Probably shouldn't weigh-in as I generally avoid acoustics (apart from the odd fret dress or new nut), but with old acoustics it's not about what you think needs doing, it's ALL about what the luthier/restorer thinks. Old acoustics have a LOT of nasty problems that will be nearly un-noticeable until they cause the guitar to self destruct. You should at least get a quote otherwise you might wake up one day to find that the strings are pulling the neck off the body or the soundboard decided to break in half.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

White Dog Eggs posted:

Fun fact: Calling an red SG "Candy Apple Red" will make Gibson fan-boys poo poo out a kidney in rage.

poo poo now that I think about it, there's a 80/20 split between cherry red and that slightly reddish-brown color Zappa used.

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

Nice! I've never heard of mixing poly and oil, tbh I learned what I know about finishing from a retired cabinet finisher who doesn't quite know as much as he thinks he does, I really need to learn more. Not tried seal-a-sell or arm-a-coat as I tend to use boiled linseed oil and mix my own Danish Oil.

By any chance are you any good at identifying wood ?

I'm using this for mclast's build, it was given to be as 'Brazilian Cherry' but I don't think that's right, do you know what it is by any chance? It's lovely stuff and I want more.

Brazilian cherry is Jatoba, right? And that doesn't look right for Jatoba. It really looks like mahogany, any chance it is?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Tempus Fugit posted:

Brazilian cherry is Jatoba, right? And that doesn't look right for Jatoba. It really looks like mahogany, any chance it is?

I don't think it's mahogany, it's closed grain and has a very faint sweet smell when cut (different that rosewood, it's kind of hard to describe). It's also stupidly hard, it's somewhere between purpleheart and ebony in hardness but without being brittle as either of those, it's also a bit heavier than those. Takes a stain lovely too. It's a proper mystery to me and the guy who I brought it from hasn't seen it since.

Stuff blunted my saw pretty good too.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 7, 2014

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

fyodor posted:

Browsing ebay for "relic guitar" is hilarious/depraved.

This was just from the first page of results:

I dunno, I kinda like this, probably as it's so badly relic'd, it's completely gently caress all like a relic

it's more like a really abstract oil painting or something

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oops, missed this

comes along bort posted:

true but it's like 10 minutes of effort so :shrug:

Trust me, that's 10 minutes more effort than 85% of guitarists will put in. I make most of my money from restringing, to put things in perspective. I restring guitars for this one guy at least once a week (he likes new strings before he plays a gig). No idea why he can't do it himself but I'm not complaining.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Dr. Faustus posted:

Y'all! I'm a HUGE guitar nerd! Look!

(My dogge isn't sad, dudes)

hey man quick q why is your taste in guitars so mind-bendingly awful

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Radio Help posted:

That's your call to make but Martin probably won't help you out on that front. chances are good there are at least a few luthiers in your area who'd be more than happy to help you restore a sentimental guitar, though. (first year Roberto-Venn graduate != skilled dude who does it for fun) Most guitars from that era can benefit a bridge truss just due to the fact that 70+ years of string tension will cause even the sturdiest top to bow a bit at the bridge. it has a pretty profound effect on the action on old guitars

Martin would definitely help him out on it, but it would likely be extremely expensive. My understanding is that even if you have access to the lifetime warranty they will only do one free neck set, and surely after 75 years that guitar has already had one (or several). But Martin is great about working on their old guitars, and they do really nice work.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

Nice! I've never heard of mixing poly and oil, tbh I learned what I know about finishing from a retired cabinet finisher who doesn't quite know as much as he thinks he does, I really need to learn more. Not tried seal-a-sell or arm-a-coat as I tend to use boiled linseed oil and mix my own Danish Oil.

By any chance are you any good at identifying wood ?

I'm using this for mclast's build, it was given to be as 'Brazilian Cherry' but I don't think that's right, do you know what it is by any chance? It's lovely stuff and I want more.

Since you have access to wood you should totally make yourself a guitar, electrics are honestly pretty easy to make.

Lol @ me being referred to as an authority, I feel special!

I've not heard about two pickups sounding worse than one, it's not really something I've noticed to be honest and if it was true it'd be pretty easy to get around with some creative wiring. I'll have to get my hands on a nasty-old strat and use it as a test-bed. Pots do make a difference on non-active guitars though, as I understand it they basically weaken the signal from the pickups, if you add a bypass you can really hear the difference, the sound is noticeably better.

I should add that this is mainly a problem with low to medium resitance pickups, anything over 10k doesn't seem to suffer as much.

What I'm referring to specifically is the idea that guitars with neck pickups interfere with the string's vibrations because of the magnetic pull. It sounds like snake oil nonsense but just plausible enough to question

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

What I'm referring to specifically is the idea that guitars with neck pickups interfere with the string's vibrations because of the magnetic pull. It sounds like snake oil nonsense but just plausible enough to question

Ohhh, errrm, I guess it's possible? It's not something I've ever noticed in all honesty. Perhaps if the pickups used powerful magnets it'd be more noticable. I'll have to experiment with that at some point.

ps I think you quoted the wrong post.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Declan MacManus posted:

Just adjust them closer to the strings while you play, you'll hear the difference soon enough, it's pretty noticeable.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

iostream.h posted:

Just adjust them closer to the strings while you play, you'll hear the difference soon enough, it's pretty noticeable.

Oh ffs, why didn't I think of this. It is pretty noticeable, so yea, I guess it does! Probably should have known that. Arses.

Now I just feel foolish.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it appears i am condemned to a life of juniors

for the tonezz

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Someone posted this guitar while I was catching up on the thread, and I had to come to its defense. This guitar is awesome because it has a history for everything that happened to it.

And the dark bare wood isn't "sweat stains" as someone tried to claim. It's from a fire.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Koth posted:

Someone posted this guitar while I was catching up on the thread, and I had to come to its defense. This guitar is awesome because it has a history for everything that happened to it.

And the dark bare wood isn't "sweat stains" as someone tried to claim. It's from a fire.

Still ugly though.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

Still ugly though.

Maybe at first. I think it's pretty cool now.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
what about the supposed lack of string pull on lace sensors tho?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Fax Sender posted:

what about the supposed lack of string pull on lace sensors tho?
I've got a red Lace Sensor on my Strat and that's a fair fact. You've got to get pretty crazy close to the strings before you get any pull effects. That said, I don't think it really makes any difference as far as sustain or any of that bullshit, they're a good pickup with their own sound, if you dig it, use 'em, if you think you're going to get some sort of Nigel Tufnel, 'hit a note go for a bite and come back the note's still playing' effect, nah.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Tempus Fugit
Jan 31, 2008

White Dog Eggs posted:

I don't think it's mahogany, it's closed grain and has a very faint sweet smell when cut (different that rosewood, it's kind of hard to describe). It's also stupidly hard, it's somewhere between purpleheart and ebony in hardness but without being brittle as either of those, it's also a bit heavier than those. Takes a stain lovely too. It's a proper mystery to me and the guy who I brought it from hasn't seen it since.

Stuff blunted my saw pretty good too.

That sounds almost like Cumaru, what they sometimes call brazilian teak. It's reddish brown, heavy and dense as poo poo, murder on tools, soaks up oil really well and is drat near indestructible. Any chance that the plank you had was originally destined for a deck plank?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Beautiful; what's wrong with a simple and elegant design?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

Tryhard racist buckethead-fanboy gently caress of a pretentiously over-priced over-constructed parlor guitar?

I love the shape, but perhaps you are the kind of color-blind that is blind to the fact that everything is creamy white-chocolate colored?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

As opposed to everything being a shade of brown like typical acoustics?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm going to have to agree. That guitar is pretty.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Cobalt60 posted:

Tryhard racist buckethead-fanboy gently caress of a pretentiously over-priced over-constructed parlor guitar?

haha what? is there a story behind this completely unremarkable-looking parlor?

pew pew pew

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cobalt60 posted:

I love the shape, but perhaps you are the kind of color-blind that is blind to the fact that everything is creamy white-chocolate colored?

someone's either got a good story or a bug up his butt about white guitars

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dewgy posted:

someone's either got a good story or a bug up his butt about white guitars

my sister was raped by eddie van halen's backup guitar

no not that one the other one

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sire Oblivion posted:

looks like it was made with a 3d printer

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

anyone who thinks this is even remotely okay doesn't play guitar

why would you have all those extra frets

you can't even reach them because there's no cutwaway unless you're doing some finger tapping poo poo, which would be weird but not out of the question on a classical guitar...

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tempus Fugit posted:

That sounds almost like Cumaru, what they sometimes call brazilian teak. It's reddish brown, heavy and dense as poo poo, murder on tools, soaks up oil really well and is drat near indestructible. Any chance that the plank you had was originally destined for a deck plank?

I googled up Cumaru and that sounds spot on! Apparently it's piss cheap too which is good because it's awesome for fretboards .I actually got it for free with a load of tajuta and purpleheart timber (laminated them to make necks) that I got cheap as it was left over from a boat-build, not sure if that's the kind of deck plank you meant, it's pretty oily so I'd imagine it'd be awesome for boats.

Anyways, thanks! I've been wanting more of this wood for ages. You are awesome.

One commission, somesone else seriously interested and I found out what that mystery wood was. I love this thread.

Eh, I kind of like this. Fretboard is a bit silly though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

anyone who thinks this is even remotely okay doesn't play guitar

why would you have all those extra frets

you can't even reach them because there's no cutwaway unless you're doing some finger tapping poo poo, which would be weird but not out of the question on a classical guitar...

I was a Classical Guitar major in college and several of the performers in our concert series had those higher frets, but they were basically seldom used. When you're playing that high on a classical your fretting hand changes technique but it's possible to play that high up.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

I was a Classical Guitar major in college and several of the performers in our concert series had those higher frets, but they were basically seldom used. When you're playing that high on a classical your fretting hand changes technique but it's possible to play that high up.

Fair enough, I've never taken any formal classical lessons, so I thought it was more for looks than functionality

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
bridge pins, wound 3rd string? that's steel string bro.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

mclast posted:

bridge pins, wound 3rd string? that's steel string bro.

did not see the wound 3rd, i just assumed it was already an abortion of a guitar, now i'm curious what its for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also, in the video of a guy playing that guitar, it looks like it actually does have a gloss finish of some kind on the body even if it looks unfinished in most of the pictures: http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/3540-ivanov_snow_parlor_3/#full

• Locked thread