Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

When you've hatched nearly 3000 eggs trying to get a shiny Honedge, you start to really focus on the math of how many more you'll need to hatch before you statistically HAVE to get one.

I don't have the shiny charm yet, and just gave up on shellders after my first pair of parents hit level 99, I took out the english one and replaced it with a 6iv child and that one had hit level 93 also. No idea how many eggs that actually is, but it must be a decent number. Currently working on shiny charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zoness posted:

Gonna choose 95% arbitrarily as the P(X>=1) goal threshold here and find that probability in binomial trials.

In this case the number is about 1800 for a 1/585 chance. Which is to say you have a 95% chance of having at least one shiny in 1800 hatchings given that each hatching has a 1/585 chance of being shiny.

He said HAVE to have a shiny though, so the answer is never since you could, by some crazy unluck, hatch a million eggs and NEVER get the shiny.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

The White Dragon posted:

You probably know how they roll shininess: it generates a value between 1 and 65535. In older gens, a 'mon was shiny if the value was 1-8, but in Gen 6 it's shiny if the value is 1-16. The base shiny rate is therefore 16/65535 => 1/4095.9.

When you get the egg, if the value isn't 1-16 and you're using the Masuda Method, it rerolls it up to five extra times, resulting in an effective shiny rate of 1/682.6.

I'm not sure how many extra rolls the Shiny Charm gives you, but the closest you can get to 440 is if it gives you a whole three extra rolls, which would bring your odds to 144/65535 => 1/455.1. I'm pretty sure in Gen 5, it just gave one extra roll, though, so if that's still the case here, Masuda Method + Shiny Charm would give you 112/65535 => 1/585.1.

When you've hatched nearly 3000 eggs trying to get a shiny Honedge, you start to really focus on the math of how many more you'll need to hatch before you statistically HAVE to get one.

v Well of course but eventually it'll get to the point where if I have over a 99.99% chance to have gotten one and I'll statistically be more likely than not to.

I know it doesn't really matter anymore (for the time being) since pokecheck is gone, but how did the shiny number function in this system?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

L0cke17 posted:

No idea how many eggs that actually is, but it must be a decent number.
I think the math is 1 step::1 exp, so it would depend on the level you dumped them into the daycare versus how often they gave you eggs. Because of the chance involved with the game even spawning an egg, and the number of egg cycles per specific Pokemon, that number can vary wildly.

Dr. Knothead
Mar 28, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

Over two thousand eggs with a japanese Milotic and a shiny charm here presented as evidence to call bullshit. It's annecdotal, I know.

And with bank out, the great shiny hunt begins. To offer totally anecdotal evidence on the other side of things (and, well, share some great luck that's had me stupefied), I've had crazy good luck with breeding since getting the shiny charm yesterday.

My first project was breeding a togepi with nasty plot. I was traded an off-nature nasty plot togepi a few months back, and, with the extra box space I got from uploading most of my 'mons to the bank, I thought it'd be a good time to start breeding for a better nature and 5 IVs. I grabbed the shiny charm for finishing the dex and put the togetic (with one perfect IV in defense and no everstone) in the daycare with a foreign destiny-knot ditto (with four perfect IVS, defense overlapping). The third egg was a shiny female. It had serene grace and three perfect IVS (Def, SpA, Speed). It was bold.

The fifth egg in the same batch was a modest male with six perfect IVs. Also serene grace.

Having cut short what I anticipated as a long night of breeding while watching reruns, I then started breeding for a HP Ice infiltrator litwick (inspired by this thread) using parents with 31/?/31/31/31/31 (timid female, infiltrator) and 31/odd/30/31/31/31 (modest male, flame body). I got it on the first egg.

I then put a metagross (2 perfect IVs) in the daycare with the ditto I mentioned previously, sticking an everstone on the metagross to ensure an adamant beldum. Again, I lucked out on the first egg--my second 6 IV baby of the night.

Using this perfect beldum and a 6-IV Japanese ditto a friend said he'll generate for me in Black 2 later today, I'm going to see how many eggs it takes to repeat my shiny feat.

Also (and I can take this to the trade thread if need be): If anyone wants either of the two litwick parents I was using, add me (2466-2495-3978) let me know.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

I think the math is 1 step::1 exp, so it would depend on the level you dumped them into the daycare versus how often they gave you eggs. Because of the chance involved with the game even spawning an egg, and the number of egg cycles per specific Pokemon, that number can vary wildly.

Just a rough estimate, but it appears that I hatched between 1100(assuming the egg took 5 cycles to spawn) and 1600 eggs (assuming the egg spawned in the first two cycles it could have).

Could have been way worse come to think of it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe this is old news, but apparently you don't need all 718 Pokemon to get the Shiny Charm. I saw a crown on my Pokedex when I was still at 717 (the missing one was Meloetta), and checked in with Sycamore: presto, get the fanfare and the charm. I am assuming that event-only Pokemon do not count towards total completion.

I still want a Meloetta on general principle but at least I have the charm. Anyone have one they're willing to trade temporarily? I don't care about owning all the Legendaries, I just want the Dex entries.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Say I want to move all my pokemon from SoulSilver and White into my current Y game. I would need to use the Poketransfer in SoulSilver to send them into White, and then use the bank to transfer them into Y, correct?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Rangpur posted:

Maybe this is old news, but apparently you don't need all 718 Pokemon to get the Shiny Charm. I saw a crown on my Pokedex when I was still at 717 (the missing one was Meloetta), and checked in with Sycamore: presto, get the fanfare and the charm. I am assuming that event-only Pokemon do not count towards total completion.

I still want a Meloetta on general principle but at least I have the charm. Anyone have one they're willing to trade temporarily? I don't care about owning all the Legendaries, I just want the Dex entries.

This is common knowledge, it's also explained in the OP, which nobody reads.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

but it's sooooo looooong mommmmmm...

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Octag posted:

I made suspect reqs. If anyone else wants a fun team to make a push for it this was the team I used:

http://pastebin.com/2mkX57HQ

The team has some trouble with Aegislash but it did great on the regular OU ladder since it has such a good matchup vs. all the suspects. It did a lot worse on the suspect ladder (an Aegislash on every team, god) but I managed to hobble through. Either way rain is really fun to play and a lot of people just don't seem to know how to play against it.

I made my own rain team inspired by yours and it's been a blast. I'm glad Kabutops is such a beast because he's one of my favorite gen 1 pokemon ever.

http://pastebin.com/iC2cKwMp (wish I knew about this site before I plastered the thread with my 5 page long team summaries)

I feel like Ferrothorn is lacking as a physical wall though. He's got a ton of awesome resistances and immunities, but getting blown up by super common fighting moves is really hurting me when I need him most. Mega Medicham and Talonflame mostly tear my team apart with drain punch letting medicham tank my whole team and brave bird 2hkos everyone but Ferrothorn who just wilts under flare blitz anyway. I'm not very experienced with any of these guys competitively so any suggestions for EV spreads, etc would be awesome!

2MB fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 7, 2014

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

AndroidHub posted:

I know it doesn't really matter anymore (for the time being) since pokecheck is gone, but how did the shiny number function in this system?

Whether a pokemon is shiny or not depends on its Personality Value and the trainer who obtained it or hatched it from an egg. Every trainer T has a number X = X(T) which is a function of the ID number and a second, secret ID number; and every egg E has a number Y = Y(E) which is a function of its Personality Value, determined when the egg is received from the day-care man. When the egg is hatched to give a pokemon P, it retains its personality value, and the trainer's ID number and secret ID number are attached to P so that you have two numbers X(P) and Y(P). Each of these is a 16-bit unsigned integer (a whole number between 0 and 65,535 inclusive). If X(P) xor Y(P) is less than 16 (8 in previous generations) then P is shiny, otherwise it is not. "xor" means you write the two numbers in binary and then arrive at a third number which written in binary has a digit 0 when the two input numbers have the same digit in the corresponding position, and a digit 1 when they have different digits.

For a trainer T you can compute the number X'(T) which is just X(T) divided by 16 and rounded down, and for an egg E you can compute the number Y'(E) which is obtained from Y(E) in the same way. The pokemon will hatch shiny precisely if X'(T) xor Y'(E) = 0 (equivalently, precisely if X'(T) = Y'(E)). Consequently you can assign to each trainer and each egg a "shiny number". There are 2 to the power 12, or 4096 possible shiny numbers. It is 2 to the 12 because we had 16 bits, but in dividing by 16 we subtracted 4.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Hey nerds. I'm looking for a spare Metal Coat to evolve my Onix as well as a spare Thunder Stone to evolve Pikachu. I already used the two you get in game for Scizor and Jolteon and well, I'm not digging the whole Super Training method of farming Stones to be honest. If anyone's got one, I have all the starters to trade except Squirtle as well as Rotom and a few others.

I also caught Zygarde the other day but I'd rather have a different older legendary since he's not really my favorite. (preferably Reshiram, Ho-Oh, Jirachi, Dialga, Palkia, Shaymin, or Keldeo) I already traded my Xernas for a Zekrom on GTS (just personal preference really). It's probably stupid to expect anyone has a Mew right? That's a stupid question right? Does anyone have any legendaries they might possibly wanna trade for ol' inevitable Z Version mascot? Any shinies too I'm also interested in.

4570-8569-2043, right here. Feel free to PM me.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
There's an in game trade for the steelix in the bike town, if you just want to finish the dex.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Just use Thief to steal Metal Coats off the wild Magneton in the Lost Hotel. I got a half dozen of them for maybe half an hour's work. Not bad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LemonLimeTime posted:

Hey nerds. I'm looking for a spare Metal Coat to evolve my Onix as well as a spare Thunder Stone to evolve Pikachu. I already used the two you get in game for Scizor and Jolteon and well, I'm not digging the whole Super Training method of farming Stones to be honest. If anyone's got one, I have all the starters to trade except Squirtle as well as Rotom and a few others.

I also caught Zygarde the other day but I'd rather have a different older legendary since he's not really my favorite. (preferably Reshiram, Ho-Oh, Jirachi, Dialga, Palkia, Shaymin, or Keldeo) I already traded my Xernas for a Zekrom on GTS (just personal preference really). It's probably stupid to expect anyone has a Mew right? That's a stupid question right? Does anyone have any legendaries they might possibly wanna trade for ol' inevitable Z Version mascot? Any shinies too I'm also interested in.

I can hook you up with a Metal Coat and a Ho-Oh and some stones. You can farm for fire, thunder, water, and leaf stones in caves by using Rock Slide when you see a boulder in the background of a fight. There are many items you can get this way and they are detailed here on Bulbapedia: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natural_object

We're already friends, so I'll wait for you to come on.

Also, my army of Meowths have been transferred from my Soul Silver cart and are back in action.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

LemonLimeTime posted:

You can also buy Leaf, Water, and Thunder Fire stones at the stone emporium in Lumiose city for a whopping 2000 pokebucks or something like that. My memory really is incredibly faulty at this point, ignore me!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

L0cke17 posted:

You can also buy Leaf, Water, and Thunder stones at the stone emporium in Lumiose city for a whopping 2000 pokebucks or something like that.

Fire, Water, and Leaf actually IIRC. Thunder Stones have to be farmed through Super Training.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zoness posted:

Fire, Water, and Leaf actually IIRC. Thunder Stones have to be farmed through Super Training.

Or breaking rocks in a battle.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Quick question about egg moves and breeding and it's probably a dumb one, but... If a Pokemon knows egg moves and then forgets them, then breeds without relearning the moves, will the baby have access to any of those egg moves?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If the Pokemon in the daycare levels up enough to push the move you want bred on the offspring off of its list, the offspring will still get that move. You can also go to the move reminder and re-obtain the move, even if it was an egg move that was deleted if you're chain breeding.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

If the Pokemon in the daycare levels up enough to push the move you want bred on the offspring off of its list, the offspring will still get that move. You can also go to the move reminder and re-obtain the move, even if it was an egg move that was deleted if you're chain breeding.

That much I already know. Let me rephrase the question... If I have a Pokemon outside of the day-care that knows egg moves, then forgets them, THEN gets put in the day care and makes poke-babies, will the babies have any access to those egg moves?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think there are some restrictions to that. I bred some shadow tag gothitelles with heal pulse and dark pulse as egg moves, but somewhere along the line I lost dark pulse. Wasn't a big deal since I didn't intend to use that move, but I wanted the option just in case.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Isn't dark pulse a tm anyway?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I might be misremembering. It was some dark special attack.

Edit: it is, and it was the move I'm thinking of, but unless serebii is lying to me it can only learn it from breeding, not from the tm. I'll have to check that, as I've never seen that before.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 8, 2014

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I found my DS and Pokemon Black game today and discovered that I have some pokemon that I'm pretty sure I used Pokegen (or some program, I don't remember which) to modify many years back. Some of these Pokemon are being rejected by Poketransfer so I want to de-modify them using Pokegen so that they are transferable.

I installed Pokegen, but the problem is I can't figure out how to get the Pokemon from Black to the software to edit them. Any help would be very appreciated.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

MustelaFuro posted:

I found my DS and Pokemon Black game today and discovered that I have some pokemon that I'm pretty sure I used Pokegen (or some program, I don't remember which) to modify many years back. Some of these Pokemon are being rejected by Poketransfer so I want to de-modify them using Pokegen so that they are transferable.

I installed Pokegen, but the problem is I can't figure out how to get the Pokemon from Black to the software to edit them. Any help would be very appreciated.

One way is to use a cheat device that will backup your save and put it on your computer.

Dr. Knothead
Mar 28, 2012
Another way would be to send them to a website like Pokecheck, download the .pkm files and throw them into pokegen. Since Pokecheck generally frowns on sending pokemon back to carts (I believe they attach a specific identifying ribbon to each pokemon so you can't use it to clone), you may wish to us a different website for sending them back to your game via wireless (I believe this is the one I used to use: http://pokegts.us/Default.aspx).

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does anyone else ever feel sketchy walking into some random pokemart and selling them $500,000 worth of shrooms?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Quick question about egg moves and breeding and it's probably a dumb one, but... If a Pokemon knows egg moves and then forgets them, then breeds without relearning the moves, will the baby have access to any of those egg moves?

Nope, the parent has to have the egg moves when they're put into the daycare. The parent will (in Gen 6 only) be able to relearn egg moves they were born with and later forgot, but I think they won't be passed down to the child if they don't currently have the move.

Blhue posted:

I think there are some restrictions to that. I bred some shadow tag gothitelles with heal pulse and dark pulse as egg moves, but somewhere along the line I lost dark pulse. Wasn't a big deal since I didn't intend to use that move, but I wanted the option just in case.

It was probably a mistake on your end. A Pokemon's moveset won't actually change until it's removed from the daycare; as long as it's in the daycare, it'll have the same moves it did when it was first put into the daycare. You probably pulled a Pokemon out of the daycare for some reason (allowing its moveset to be changed) and then put it back in without checking the moves to make sure none had been overwritten.

Octag
Sep 16, 2012

2MB posted:

I made my own rain team inspired by yours and it's been a blast. I'm glad Kabutops is such a beast because he's one of my favorite gen 1 pokemon ever.

http://pastebin.com/iC2cKwMp (wish I knew about this site before I plastered the thread with my 5 page long team summaries)

I feel like Ferrothorn is lacking as a physical wall though. He's got a ton of awesome resistances and immunities, but getting blown up by super common fighting moves is really hurting me when I need him most. Mega Medicham and Talonflame mostly tear my team apart with drain punch letting medicham tank my whole team and brave bird 2hkos everyone but Ferrothorn who just wilts under flare blitz anyway. I'm not very experienced with any of these guys competitively so any suggestions for EV spreads, etc would be awesome!

Yeah my team is complete balls-to-the-wall heavy offence and every other rain team I've seen this gen has been the same, I don't think balanced rain teams work all too well. Some of the Pokémon you use can take a knock or two but there's no way you'll have something that can switch in on MegaMedicham (Tornadus-T is vaguely bulky and resists fighting, he takes ~90% from Hi Jump Kick). Early on I tried adding the odd 'bulky pivot' that could soak up some of my weaknesses- Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, I even tried Seismitoad for a few games- but it just doesn't seem to work for the reasons you found. it's easy for dangerous mons to switch in on your slow bulky thing and then you're boned, you have to figure out what to sacrifice. I'd definitely drop Ferrothorn for a more offensive hazard setter: Terrakion, Excadrill, Deoxys, something that can discourage setup or cheesy switchins by threatening the KO. I used Excadrill since he brings his own hazard control and saves me a teamslot on using Defog (to be fair there are plenty of great offensive defoggers, I just didn't want to use them).

CB Brave Bird 2HKOs Kabutops but remember that in the rain you outspeed it with Kabutop's Aqua Jet, so if you absolutely must you can switch in once and force it out (or KO it if the TF user has never seen a Kabutops before). Talonflame is a big threat: you should obviously try and keep up rocks, but failing that you need to make sure you keep Kabutops alive since without him you're getting swept.

Definitely use Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse on Kingdra. Two Draco Meteors deal more damage than two Dragon Pulses and realistically you're never going to fire more than two in one sitting. Kingdra really appreciates the power anyway since he has base 95 special attack, you've got to stretch it as far as it can go.

Your EV spreads look fine. I question how useful the special attack is on Toed since I generally just used him to make it rain, if he stays in he's probably going to be Scalding a water resist for lovely damage. If a more offensive playstyle works for you then that's cool. I like Mild > Rash on Kingdra since I find he often ends up eating Rotom-W Volt Switches, but Rash is fine too.

How's MegaScizor been working out for you? I've always felt kinda disappointed by him but if he works he works.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Should Aegislash have died of burn damage at the end here or is it a Showdown glitch ??

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-85623164

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

nippon nifties posted:

Should Aegislash have died of burn damage at the end here or is it a Showdown glitch ??

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/xybattlespotdoubles-85623164

The match instantly ends as soon as a victory condition is reached, there was no reason to do the end of turn damage calculation on Aegislash.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

kharaa posted:

The match instantly ends as soon as a victory condition is reached, there was no reason to do the end of turn damage calculation on Aegislash.

I'm not sure if they changed it in Gen 6, but at least in Gen 5 this isn't true. The game checks for end-of-match after each pokemon takes its turn in battle, and then there are a number of "phases" of end-of-turn events that take place. One of those is poison/burn damage. Another is weather damage/recovery. The game checks for end-of-match at the end of each of these phases, but not in the middle of one. So if one team's last pokemon faints from burn damage, but a pokemon on the other team is also burned, that pokemon will take burn damage too.

Having said that, in the linked battle this would not have happened (Aegislash is the only one with poison or burn damage to take) but also Aegislash doesn't suffer burn damage on the final turn (turn 5) anyway, so I'm not sure what prompted the question...?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Hammerite posted:

Having said that, in the linked battle this would not have happened (Aegislash is the only one with poison or burn damage to take) but also Aegislash doesn't suffer burn damage on the final turn (turn 5) anyway, so I'm not sure what prompted the question...?

He thought it should have been a draw, but then it wasn't. -> Surprise

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

I just wasn't sure when the end of the match was determined. I assumed he was going to take burn damage and end in a draw

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

nippon nifties posted:

I just wasn't sure when the end of the match was determined. I assumed he was going to take burn damage and end in a draw

Even if Aegislash had taken burn damage, since Generation 5 there are no draws whatsoever. The game keeps track of which was the last pokemon to faint, and in the event that all pokemon in the match faint, the winner is whoever was the owner of the last pokemon to faint. In the event that things like weather damage, poison/burn damage, Perish Song etc. cause more than one pokemon to faint in the same "phase" of the turn, the game doesn't actually regard the pokemon as taking simultaneous damage, but instead regards them as taking damage in a well-defined order (which I think is just fastest->slowest, and random in the case of pokemon with the same speed).

That said, I don't know how faithfully Showdown reproduces this behaviour.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Octag posted:

How's MegaScizor been working out for you? I've always felt kinda disappointed by him but if he works he works.

Just hit the OU part of reqs, going up suspect ladder right now-

Testing this M-Scizor set

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

But really I feel like i could probably just switch that Roost to Pursuit or something and make it CB Scizor. M-Scizor does have some pretty bad 4MSS.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Octag posted:

Yeah my team is complete balls-to-the-wall heavy offence and every other rain team I've seen this gen has been the same, I don't think balanced rain teams work all too well. Some of the Pokémon you use can take a knock or two but there's no way you'll have something that can switch in on MegaMedicham (Tornadus-T is vaguely bulky and resists fighting, he takes ~90% from Hi Jump Kick). Early on I tried adding the odd 'bulky pivot' that could soak up some of my weaknesses- Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, I even tried Seismitoad for a few games- but it just doesn't seem to work for the reasons you found. it's easy for dangerous mons to switch in on your slow bulky thing and then you're boned, you have to figure out what to sacrifice. I'd definitely drop Ferrothorn for a more offensive hazard setter: Terrakion, Excadrill, Deoxys, something that can discourage setup or cheesy switchins by threatening the KO. I used Excadrill since he brings his own hazard control and saves me a teamslot on using Defog (to be fair there are plenty of great offensive defoggers, I just didn't want to use them).

CB Brave Bird 2HKOs Kabutops but remember that in the rain you outspeed it with Kabutop's Aqua Jet, so if you absolutely must you can switch in once and force it out (or KO it if the TF user has never seen a Kabutops before). Talonflame is a big threat: you should obviously try and keep up rocks, but failing that you need to make sure you keep Kabutops alive since without him you're getting swept.

Definitely use Draco Meteor > Dragon Pulse on Kingdra. Two Draco Meteors deal more damage than two Dragon Pulses and realistically you're never going to fire more than two in one sitting. Kingdra really appreciates the power anyway since he has base 95 special attack, you've got to stretch it as far as it can go.

Your EV spreads look fine. I question how useful the special attack is on Toed since I generally just used him to make it rain, if he stays in he's probably going to be Scalding a water resist for lovely damage. If a more offensive playstyle works for you then that's cool. I like Mild > Rash on Kingdra since I find he often ends up eating Rotom-W Volt Switches, but Rash is fine too.

Excadrill could work, I'll give him a shot tonight. Do you just run a rapid spin/stealth rock set on him? I initially went to ferrothorn because he walls out dnites really well but that's about all I've seen him do well. I've mostly been trying to avoid legendaries because I don't really have access to them on my cart.

I think I'm being too careful with Kabutops. He feels so fragile that switching into a brave bird just feels like handing them a free kill but you're right that if I don't shut down talonflame then the rest of my team is getting swept with little effort.

As far as Kingdra goes, I've found him to be really subpar. I'll give Draco Meteor a shot but the life orb set doesn't seem to pack enough of a punch for him to be threatening. Maybe I just need to practice with him more. I actually took him off the team for the time being because I already have Goodra who puts some work in with hydration/rest to eat up any status moves that come my way and with a modest nature he does pretty good damage on anything that isn't porygon or blissey. I've currently got Ludicolo in his place as an extra rain dance setter who's a lot tankier but he doesn't do a whole lot either.

I like the extra damage on politoed because people rarely see him as a threat and it lets me do a good chunk of damage when they decide to stay in and set up. It's part of the reason I like ferrothorn on the team because I can usually do a solid 40-50% on their lead when they think they're getting a free SD then I swap to ferro to finish them off with barbs and rocky helmet. I plan on giving toed a bulkier spread if I remove ferrothorn though.

Scizor has been so-so. He's a surprisingly good de-fogger because he scares a lot of people out which gives him a free turn to clear the field. Pursuit and U-turn make a deadly combo and using priority to revenge kill anyone <40% is cool. If I put Excadrill on the team though I'm not sure who to put in Scizor's mega slot since he is primarily a defogger. He just doesn't pack as much of a punch as I want out of a mega. I thought being in rain would save him from fire moves but more often than not he still gets ohko'd. There just never feels like a great time to switch him in because a lot of the stuff he resists don't really fear him (other than psychic types which I never see besides Latias). Overall it seems like I could get more out of my mega slot. Any suggestions?

2MB fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Hammerite posted:

Even if Aegislash had taken burn damage, since Generation 5 there are no draws whatsoever.

Oh well that's good to know. The last time I did competitive battling really was Gen III. I came across a Baton Passing Ninjask the other day and it was very nostaligic

• Locked thread