Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's almost like they release things cyclically to drive up demand....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

It's almost like they release things cyclically to drive up demand....

I read that as cynically and got confused. Yeah, that makes sense, but it's objectively bad for the fans.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Baron Bifford posted:

Try Fire Caste by Peter Fehervari.

That's actually what I was hoping the story would be! Still got a few interesting scenes near the end when the soldiers were faking interest in The Greater Good, but I'm holding out for a story less based on the Imperium side of things.

I'll probably be holding out for a while. :saddowns:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I read that as cynically and got confused. Yeah, that makes sense, but it's objectively bad for the fans.
You... you have heard about GW, right?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
I'd love a book about the Newcrons. I mean, it'd be Game of Thrones. In space. With robots instead of rape.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Saith posted:

I'd love a book about the Newcrons. I mean, it'd be Game of Thrones. In space. With robots instead of rape.

Oh please, we all learned last year that Robots can rape. I mean, that's what happened in Boston.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

You... you have heard about GW, right?

No, I live in a fantasy world in which GW actually cares about its consumers and makes quality miniatures for reasonable prices.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
The second Sisters of Battle book by James Swallow had some interesting Necron characterization. Hammer and Anvil I think?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Hammer and Anvil was readable. It wasn't great, but it wasn't completely terrible. It did suffer a bit from the "hey look at the shiny new toys in the Necron codex" thing. Lots of overly wordy description of the new Necron units.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
From what I've seen GW likes to do that a lot. Books released around the time period of a major codex update tend to seem like their main goal is to sell the new codex.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Noctis Horrendae posted:

From what I've seen GW likes to do that a lot. Books released around the time period of a major codex update tend to seem like their main goal is to sell the new codex.

That's probably because their main goal is to sell the new codex (and kits).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

The Rat posted:

Hammer and Anvil was readable. It wasn't great, but it wasn't completely terrible. It did suffer a bit from the "hey look at the shiny new toys in the Necron codex" thing. Lots of overly wordy description of the new Necron units.

Yeah, as someone who was never all that interested in Necrons I didnt really give a crap about their whiz-bang shooty-bots, but the characterization and interplay between the Necron scientist and general were interesting.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

One Legged Cat posted:

That's actually what I was hoping the story would be! Still got a few interesting scenes near the end when the soldiers were faking interest in The Greater Good, but I'm holding out for a story less based on the Imperium side of things.

This is all that the Black Library has.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 7, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I've read up a bit about all the psykers who are sacrificed to the Emperor. It seems there are two kinds of sacrifice: one to keep the Golden Throne running and one to power the Astronomican. Am I right?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

One Legged Cat posted:

Nephilm posted:

It's important to remember, though, that WH40k is the story of the Imperium of Man - every narrative and every viewpoint is meant to be framed in that context.

Stories that have nothing/little to do with the Imperium are rare and product of bad writers having a boner for space elves.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Baron Bifford posted:

I've read up a bit about all the psykers who are sacrificed to the Emperor. It seems there are two kinds of sacrifice: one to keep the Golden Throne running and one to power the Astronomican. Am I right?

Yes. The Emperor then uses some of his own potential to modulate the signal of the Astronomican, effectively recycling some of one psykerbattery to boost another.

I'm pretty sure some sources have conflated the Throne and the Astronomican before, though.

Nephilm posted:

Stories that have nothing/little to do with the Imperium are rare and product of bad writers having a boner for space elves.

Gav Thorpe isn't that bad...

... is he?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
When sanctioned psykers get soul-bound, do they actually get to see the physical form of the Emperor?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

FrozenDorf posted:

Gav Thorpe isn't that bad...

... is he?

he's worse

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

When sanctioned psykers get soul-bound, do they actually get to see the physical form of the Emperor?

I've heard it described as psykers being exposed to the complete and total horror of the warp while the Emperor shields them from it so they now know what terror is out there without being seduced by it.

Some get their eyes burned out from the experience, or deafened, or otherwise stricken physically. Surviving it unscathed would mark someone as a good candidate for the Inquisition. I have no idea how psyker Space Marines work at all and it's almost never mentioned.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
It's specifically astropaths that are soul-bound to the Emperor - though it's not limited to them, not all individuals trained and 'sanctioned' by the astra telepathica undergo that process. Space Marine psykers are trained by the members of their respective librarium.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Baron Bifford posted:

It seems there are two kinds of sacrifice: one to keep the Golden Throne running and one to power the Astronomican. Am I right?

There does seem to be a lot of connection between the two, and I've always assumed they are connected to each other directly, if not just share the same power source. I want to say the two might've been more separate at some point before the Heresy, but they were firmly joined at some point by all the emergency jury-rigging the Golden Throneroom underwent.

Baron Bifford posted:

I think they'd need to be close enough to the Throne (and the throneroom's like a handful of kilometers wide), and really, the physical form of the Emperor isn't all that impressive these days.

It'd probably just bum them out if they got a look. :smith:

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Two right arms. Mutant.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

He uses the Thundercloud Formation. :china:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Two LEFT arms. That image is a fanart anyway.

How many people know the Emperor's true condition, anyway?

Uroboros posted:

On the plus side ADB wrote The Emperor's Gift, which made me pretty gay for Hyperion. Hell, the part where they defeat Angron alone is arguably the best 40K chapter ever, poo poo be epic son.
You speak truth. Also, Space Wolves not giving a gently caress.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 8, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
So this is more of a lore question than related to BL fiction per se, but. I had the opportunity to peruse a copy of the Forge World Horus Heresy Book 2 recently, and in the Salamanders section it mentioned that unlike many of the Legions, the details of the original recruiting demographic for the Salamanders, Space Wolves and Alpha Legion are shrouded in mystery. I can understand why it'd be thematic for the Alpha Legion, but why would the recruiting for the Salamanders and Space Wolves be obfuscated?

(For context, this is talking about the very beginnings of the Legions during the end of the unification, before the Great Crusade. For most of the legions there's a description of the demographics that the original legionnaires recruited from on Terra; e.g. the Night Lords were recruited from the children of underground prison gangs.)

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I imagine it's something to do with the Canis Helix, but nothing so far in the HH books has mentioned about the SW before the Emperor found Russ. No idea about the Salamanders.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Keep in mind this is going back 10k years, so 'being shrouded in mystery' doesn't mean there is deliberate deceit.

Plus don't we know the Salamanders recruited from the 7 warrior-houses from their home world or whatever?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Keep in mind this is going back 10k years, so 'being shrouded in mystery' doesn't mean there is deliberate deceit.

Plus don't we know the Salamanders recruited from the 7 warrior-houses from their home world or whatever?

He's referring to the Terran born marines that would have made up the legion originally. And I have no clue, nothing I have read indicates it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Hammer and Anvil was okay? I read Faith and Fire and it was an absolute boring slog.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Well, hammers and anvils are solid, reliable things, whereas faith and fire are both immaterial and fleeting, indicating weaker literary material. It's pretty simple, man. :rolleyes:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
We need a slow clap icon.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Big Willy Style posted:

He's referring to the Terran born marines that would have made up the legion originally. And I have no clue, nothing I have read indicates it.

In C:SM, they say that Vulkan reorganized his Legion into 7 houses, each of which recruited from one of 7 huge settlements on Nocturne.

I don't think any of the original legions have extensive histories about their Terran recruiting, all I can think of is that one White Scars tidbit.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Man, imagine being a Terran born Space Wolf (or whatever they may have been called)and then having the Fenrisians joining your ranks.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

In C:SM, they say that Vulkan reorganized his Legion into 7 houses, each of which recruited from one of 7 huge settlements on Nocturne.

I don't think any of the original legions have extensive histories about their Terran recruiting, all I can think of is that one White Scars tidbit.

It comes up a fair bit in Flight of the Eisenstein, if I recall correctly, because a bunch of the loyalist Astartes, including Garro the POV character, are Terran-born.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Death Guard include lots of stiff upper lip Englishmen

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think the Death Guards' lips have all melted off.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The Thousand Sons were recruited from Mesopotamia, I believe.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Blacktoll posted:

The Thousand Sons were recruited from Mesopotamia, I believe.

with the exception of one described as blonde and fair skinned, the rest came from the "Nordafrik enclaves", which would be North Africa, or basically Egypt.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

One Legged Cat posted:

There does seem to be a lot of connection between the two, and I've always assumed they are connected to each other directly, if not just share the same power source. I want to say the two might've been more separate at some point before the Heresy, but they were firmly joined at some point by all the emergency jury-rigging the Golden Throneroom underwent.

I think they'd need to be close enough to the Throne (and the throneroom's like a handful of kilometers wide), and really, the physical form of the Emperor isn't all that impressive these days.

It'd probably just bum them out if they got a look. :smith:

This is pretty cool! Though I didn't think Horus hosed up the Big E this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Well. Horus and 10,000 years sitting on the throne as a living psychic battery.