Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Pain & Gain is the only good movie Michael Bay has directed in the last decade aside from The Island, and boy is it good. It reminds you that he can actually be a really adept filmmaker when he tries.

Did you miss the entire Transformers thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chichevache posted:

Did you miss the entire Transformers thread?
Yeah I've never read that one, but I have seen all 3 of the movies in theaters and they're all loving terrible. The first one is the least offensive but it's still bad, with 2 and 3 being even worse. 2 is the worst of them all.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Yeah I've never read that one, but I have seen all 3 of the movies in theaters and they're all loving terrible. The first one is the least offensive but it's still bad, with 2 and 3 being even worse. 2 is the worst of them all.

Read the thread and your mind will be blown. I don't think it will make you enjoy or appreciate the films, but it will definitely show you how much work and planning went on in it. And I'm not just referring to the CGI.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Chichevache posted:

Read the thread and your mind will be blown. I don't think it will make you enjoy or appreciate the films, but it will definitely show you how much work and planning went on in it. And I'm not just referring to the CGI.
Hmm, okay, I'll check it out! I'm always down with finding out behind the scenes stuff about movies, even ones I don't like :)

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Wait, people liked The Island? The movie that ripped off Parts: The Clonus Horror?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Seeing Transformers 2 was the most awkward experience I've ever had in a theater. All the black people laughing nervously, all the white people sitting mannequin-still with no expressions on their faces.

Michael Bay seems like a nice enough guy, but when people try to tell me he's a talented filmmaker all I can see are those bigeared Transformers with their swinging buck teeth.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Hmm, okay, I'll check it out! I'm always down with finding out behind the scenes stuff about movies, even ones I don't like :)

Somebody combined it all into a PDF.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwcKvxyHHsZ9V18ySTVEblRZSXc/edit?pli=1

Sarchasm posted:

Seeing Transformers 2 was the most awkward experience I've ever had in a theater. All the black people laughing nervously, all the white people sitting mannequin-still with no expressions on their faces.

Michael Bay seems like a nice enough guy, but when people try to tell me he's a talented filmmaker all I can see are those bigeared Transformers with their swinging buck teeth.

Yea... Even TVF couldn't justify that in her thread.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I've read the entire Transformers thread, got a lot out of it, and I'm still totally comfortable calling Michael Bay a bad filmmaker, with a few exceptions. Pain & Gain is one of the good ones though, people should check it out.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've never seen any of his movies except the Transformers ones and Pain & Gain, but P&G is one of my all time favorite movies. At least in the top 20. It's just perfect. The Rock's performance alone takes the movie from "good" to "great". The man can loving act.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 7, 2014

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Franchescanado posted:

I've also never seen Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 or Harold and Maude, but they're also two classics of their genre I haven't seen mentioned in here.

Have you seen Ghosts of Mars? If so, you've seen Assault on Precinct 13.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pain and Gain is great but having one gem doesn't make the pile of poo poo not exist, it just means a bad filmmaker made a good thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Pain and Gain is great but having one gem doesn't make the pile of poo poo not exist, it just means a bad filmmaker made a good thing.

The Rock is one of the best films ever made.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009
I'll chime n and say I hated Pain & Gain.

Casting Mark Wahlberg as that guy was the wrong choice. I could have enjoyed it if not for him. Markie Mark blinded a Vietnamese dude.[1]

That sort of undermines the entire moral of the movie.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wahlberg#Assaults_and_conviction

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Why all the Michael Bay hate? He made one of the best "Got Milk?" commercials of all time.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tennis Ball posted:

I'll chime n and say I hated Pain & Gain.

Casting Mark Wahlberg as that guy was the wrong choice. I could have enjoyed it if not for him. Markie Mark blinded a Vietnamese dude.[1]

That sort of undermines the entire moral of the movie.

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Wahlberg#Assaults_and_conviction

Really? I thought Pain & Gain was loving garbage, but Wahlberg gave a pretty solid performance. There's a metric ton of things wrong with Pain & Gain, but Wahlberg ain't one of them.

Tennis Ball
Jan 29, 2009

Yaws posted:

Really? I thought Pain & Gain was loving garbage, but Wahlberg gave a pretty solid performance. There's a metric ton of things wrong with Pain & Gain, but Wahlberg ain't one of them.

I don't mean in an acting way. What I took from the film is, "People will do terrible things to get rich and famous because people feel entitled to it. But don't because it will end poorly for you."

Except it didn't for Wahlberg. He blinded a guy and has more money than god. He was pretty much playing himself in that movie.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Did Michael Bay make a film in recent years about some kid who goes on a shooting spree? I've got terrible memory skills and baby for the life of me remember r what it might be called or if it even exists. I seem to remember liking it.

I gave x files a shot by watching the pilot, and made it half way. Garbage? I'll give one of those episodes that were recommended above a go and see if there's any improvement.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 8, 2014

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Did Michael Bay make a film in recent years about some kid who goes on a shooting spree? I've got terrible memory skills and baby for the life of me remember r what it might be called or if it even exists. I seem to remember liking it.

I have x files a shot by watching the pilot, and made it half way. Garbage? I'll give one of those episodes that were recommended above a go and see if there's any improvement.

Are you talking about Rampage? Uwe Boll did that one.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Yaws posted:

Are you talking about Rampage? Uwe Boll did that one.

I am indeed. I'm mixing up my poo poo directors again. It actually quite good though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I am indeed. I'm mixing up my poo poo directors again. It was actually quite good though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I am indeed. I'm mixing up my poo poo directors again. It actually quite good though.

Nope. It is a horrible awful film and I don't think he should have been allowed to direct again after that. The whole drat film gave me the impression that Boll was lionizing a man who killed a ton of people for fun and money. It was loving unforgivable.

Never watch that movie.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

drunken officeparty posted:

I've never seen any of his movies except the Transformers ones and Pain & Gain, but P&G is one of my all time favorite movies. At least in the top 20. It's just perfect. The Rock's performance alone takes the movie from "good" to "great". The man can loving act.
The best part is that the Rock paces himself - you don't get that holy poo poo crazy from him at first. It sneaks in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

magnificent7 posted:

The best part is that the Rock paces himself - you don't get that holy poo poo crazy from him at first. It sneaks in.

The Rock is really showing some serious acting chops in a lot of his roles. I hope he gets a chance to do more roles where he's not just a tough guy.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Chichevache posted:

The Rock is one of the best films ever made.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Michael Bay directed that. Movie owns.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Flippycunt posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Michael Bay directed that. Movie owns.

A sign of greatness to come. Cage should be in all his movies.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I got on netflix a minute ago and added a dozen movies to my queue. I never add a dozen movies. Did they just buy the rights to whole bunch of stuff last night?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mommie Dearest just got added, which is a movie with a really bad reputation and I don't understand how it got it. It's really good and Faye Dunaway gives an amazing performance. Should have been nominated at the Oscars, not the Razzies.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Michael Bay sucks, gently caress trasnformers, pain & gain, and the island. Its Jerry Bruckheimer that owns.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I gave x files a shot by watching the pilot, and made it half way. Garbage? I'll give one of those episodes that were recommended above a go and see if there's any improvement.

Try episode 3, "squeeze". That was always one of my favorites in spite of the hilariously cheesy dated computer graphics. But if you're not at least mildly entertained then I'm not sure you can be (or should be) talked into it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'll admit that the Rock was loving amazing in Pain & Gain, but I have such an adversion to Bay's character = caricature style of directing that I thought it was one of the most unenjoyable things I've ever seen. It only works when one guy is dialing it up to 11, not every single person onscreen. This principle is why I enjoy Nicholas Cage.

Also, the THIS REALLY HAPPENED stuff when it didn't in the way it was portrayed was kind of gross.

To reiterate, gently caress Unicorn City.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Michael Bay sucks, gently caress trasnformers, pain & gain, and the island. Its Jerry Bruckheimer that owns.
Transformers is a fun and mindless movie series and Pain and Gain is one of my favorite movies. Bruckheimer was responsible for the other Pirate movies which were boged down with poo poo plots etc and Lone Ranger was just a mess. I think Michael Bay is good when given a good story.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I haven't liked any of Bay's movies since Bad Boys 2 (especially transformers that just bore me). But outside of their collaborations, Bruckheimer also hand a hand in Con Air, National Treasure, Enemy of the State, and the good pirates movie(s?) too. He has a handful of crap like Kangaroo Jack or Pearl Harbor and all those tv shows, but I'm legit excited for the Beverly's Hills Cop remake hes doing with Shawn Ryan.

The solution is that Bay/Bruckheimer should be chained together at all times.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I haven't liked any of Bay's movies since Bad Boys 2 (especially transformers that just bore me). But outside of their collaborations, Bruckheimer also hand a hand in Con Air, National Treasure, Enemy of the State, and the good pirates movie(s?) too. He has a handful of crap like Kangaroo Jack or Pearl Harbor and all those tv shows, but I'm legit excited for the Beverly's Hills Cop remake hes doing with Shawn Ryan.

The solution is that Bay/Bruckheimer should be chained together at all times.

Con Air should be considered the pinnacle of American film

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Does Hola still work for European goons? If I enable it, I'm still using the Dutch Netflix (but I can't stream anything).

Any other free services I can use, preferably without changing my DNS.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Still works for me. Occasionally I'll have to sign in again after connecting but other than that never had a problem.

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hola still works for me (in the UK) where Mediahint has crapped out, but switching between regions too often/quickly seems to confuse it a little.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008
Saw Pain & Gain last night and loved it. Didn't notice until now that Canada also has added Before Midnight as well.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010
The volume levels on different episodes of Farscape are extremely inconsistent. I'm on season two, one episode will have volume so low that you have to crank your TV up to almost max just to hear anyone talk, then the next episode will come on and nearly deafen you. I'm enjoying the show other than that technical glitch, though.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'd like to drop a recommendation for Schooled: The Price of College Sports if you even have a passing interest in college sports. Really delves into the issue of amateurism. The only complaint is it doesn't dig deep enough but it's only 80 minutes long.

Also, anyone who uses Netflix on ATV notice a small change to the interface? For tv shows now it puts a checkmark next to episodes you've seen instead of leaving the progress bar there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mescal posted:

I got on netflix a minute ago and added a dozen movies to my queue. I never add a dozen movies. Did they just buy the rights to whole bunch of stuff last night?

No clue, but I just saw The Brady Bunch Movie on there for the first time and its just as amazing as I remember.

• Locked thread