Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Here's the full crowd-sourced remake: http://ourrobocopremake.com/ Parts are :nws: (Lots of penis, even animated penis). Some parts are really poorly done but on the whole it's pretty awesome and way more entertaining than the other remake will ever be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lawlicaust posted:

No matter how good the new remake is, it won't be this good:

:nws: :nms: http://vimeo.com/86014703 :nws: :nms: (Penis and violence; seriously, don't watch this anywhere public)

I laughed so hard I got into an awful coughing fit and almost died. Amazing.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I'm watching the crowd remake now and the ED-209 scene is a hoot and a half. Too bad a lot of this is horrible.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Lawlicaust posted:

:nws: :nms: http://vimeo.com/86014703 :nws: :nms: (Penis and violence; seriously, don't watch this anywhere public)

This is incredible, I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

davidspackage posted:

Hahaha that just popped up on my youtube feed. I could not stop laughing.

It also took me really long to realize I wasn't looking at the original Robocop material.

That's Fatal Farm's trademark, they've been doing suspiciously plausible spoofs for almost a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8Wi7XRXCA

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite thing they've ever done, besides RoboCop vs Penis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PQPO0mZG_k

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
I saw the movie yesterday. And I don't care if other people have, I'm not posting spoiler tagged material for a movie most of you are physically incapable of seeing right now. Except this one for you penismightier: sorry.

Anyway, I enjoyed the original Robocop but I don't...venerate it as artform, even if the Robocop Rap posted earlier was pretty funny. To be honest I didn't even want to see this movie- I got the tickets as a favor for a friend. I'm skeptical on remakes in general and it seemed hard to imagine that this one would have anything to say.

First, about the satire- no, this is not Verhoeven satire. Robocop does not pull anyone over for drunk driving. But I thought what they did instead was much more interesting than random eighties throwbacks. Mr. Flunchy's review nails the quality of the opener and the all too appropriate way it transitions to the Robocop theme music. To the point you should not read the review because drat that scene packs a lot of punch if you have no idea what's going to happen.

Thematically speaking, the movie reminded me a lot of an old essay I read, published several decades ago. In it, the author questions increasing automation as being the new cultural normal. He points to the increase in science fiction about robots, and suggests that the main reason people are so interested in the idea of a machine that thinks like a man is because we are increasingly living in a culture which values men who think like machines. The line is actually very clearly drawn too. In this universe, machines are definitely under the control of people, and they do what we want. It's just that what we want tends to not always be a good thing, and also the question of who's actually giving the robots orders is an essential one. You might hate the ending for not having the zinger of the original, but if you look at it through this critical lens instead, it comes off as much better.

Those of you worried that Robocop would spend all his time fighting robots, worry no more. He spends plenty of time shooting down meatbags too. Not always lethally- either way it looks brutal and awful. Actually I thought the guys who got tasered had it way worse than the ones who just got shot- at least that's how the movie made it look. As far as the action to talking ratio...unless you have ADHD and just hate listening to people talking when there could be explosions instead I can't imagine that's going to be a big problem. The whole plotline with the drugs is intriguing, even if it's not very action movie-like. Also the action movie stuff does involve shaky cam which is maybe bad? These weren't the greatest action scenes I've ever scene but they weren't awful either. Lastly gently caress anybody who hates Robodad. Everybody should want a Robodad.

edit: wait, was penismightier toxxing or was he forcing Detective No. 27 to toxx using mod powers he no longer has?

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 7, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Some Guy TT posted:

edit: wait, was penismightier toxxing or was he forcing Detective No. 27 to toxx using mod powers he no longer has?

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Throwing out a :toxx: emoticon is not binding

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh I just found what he's talking about. That was back in September when I was still mod, but I wasn't serious. What an odd thing to remember five months later.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
I only read the thread yesterday and today. I can't be the only who ignores dedicated threads until I have immediate access to a movie, am I?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Those of you worried that Robocop would spend all his time fighting robots, worry no more. He spends plenty of time shooting down meatbags too. Not always lethally- either way it looks brutal and awful. Actually I thought the guys who got tasered had it way worse than the ones who just got shot- at least that's how the movie made it look.

There was a clip posted in the GBS complaint thread on the dubstep theme and I'm left with the impression that people poo poo themselves when they get hit with those taser bullets or at least drat near. Does this actually happen?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Young Freud posted:

There was a clip posted in the GBS complaint thread on the dubstep theme and I'm left with the impression that people poo poo themselves when they get hit with those taser bullets or at least drat near. Does this actually happen?

Nah, for all the visual information the film gives us he may as well just be shooting them with bullets.

This is a curiously bloodless film, though there's an antiseptic, surgical quality to it that makes it just about work. This is RoboCop designed not to make to much mess.

Some small things I liked:

- When RoboCop's visor gets damaged it cracks like a broken iPhone screen.
- The opening sequence is pretty much the closest film's gotten to a Metal Gear game.
- Keeping the hand actually works really well.

And the stuff I hated:

- The obnoxious crowbarring in of iconic lines from the original. They sound so out of place.
- RoboCop's motorbike looks cheap and crappy.
- Lewis is a total non-entity.

One thing I didn't understand though, midway through the film the art on the wall of Michael Keaton's office changes from Francis Bacon to some other artist for no apparent reason - anyone know who the second artist was or why they did this?

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Feb 7, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

- Lewis is a total non-entity.

Not having much Michael K. Williams is unforgivable. Tell me he at least puts on a trenchcoat and menaces a criminal with a shotgun.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Noxville" ost="425356119 posted:

It might be worth noting that Empire magazine is actually Really poo poo.

echoplex posted:

It really, really is.

And I bet you both read it religiously every month.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Lawlicaust posted:

Here's the full crowd-sourced remake: http://ourrobocopremake.com/ Parts are :nws: (Lots of penis, even animated penis). Some parts are really poorly done but on the whole it's pretty awesome and way more entertaining than the other remake will ever be.

My god this was the best.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
From what I overheard of Kermode, he seemed to like it - or at the very least say that it's not the film you expect.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

And I bet you both read it religiously every month.

No? I've not bought Empire for 4, maybe 5 years, and never monthly. What a ridiculous thing to say.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 8, 2014

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

echoplex posted:

No? I've not bought Empire for 4, maybe 5 years. What an incredibly stupid thing to say.

Well you see, a big part of being a nerd is buying things you hate (comics, movies, TV shows, and so on) and then complaining about how terrible they are. Every nerd worth his nerd salt that bitched about the Robocop remake is going to pay and see it, and then whine on their blog that they just knew it was going to be terrible. It's so ingrained they just assume it's the norm.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wyoming posted:

Well you see, a big part of being a nerd is buying things you hate (comics, movies, TV shows, and so on) and then complaining about how terrible they are. Every nerd worth his nerd salt that bitched about the Robocop remake is going to pay and see it, and then whine on their blog that they just knew it was going to be terrible. It's so ingrained they just assume it's the norm.

And people wonder why Hollywood loves remaking these films.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

wyoming posted:

The Plinkett Life.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

wyoming posted:

At first I was silently congratulating myself for not fitting that description, and then I remembered I paid to see the second and third Star Wars prequels after being warned by the first.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am going to see the new Robocop whether it is good or not, so you can add me to that pile.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Good or not, I am going to see.

(not really, I deny the existence of the third movie) I figure its easier for me to hate the remake if I never go see it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about everything until at least the end credits. Everything about this movie is either good (cast, director, reexamination of themes) or doesn't seem that bad (CGI, the mechanical design, lack of gory violence, etc.) in comparison to that lovely Total Recall remake.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Saw it today. As someone who absolutely adores the original, I kinda liked it. I enjoyed it more when it was trying to be its own film and not throw back to the original too much. The dollar line is cringeworthy. The updated themes work and the satire is there, just a little less comedic. The action scene close to the beginning had me rolling my eyes at the shaky-cam, but when he becomes Robocop it gets better. I wish there had been a little more of Robocop being a cop before turning into a personal vengeance machine but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I went in with low expectations and enjoyed myself, I'm glad I went.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I'm of the opinion that it looks like it'll be at least somewhat entertaining, and that if I go and see it I won't be terribly disappointed. I did watch the Total Recall remake in theaters, and while I don't think that was a lovely remake (technically it seemed fine!), I think it was pretty boring due to what felt like a watered down version of the original's plot. I still sat through the whole thing though; it takes a pretty loving terrible film for me to walk out on it.

So yeah while I kind of groan over the idea of a remake of Robocop I'm interested to see what they've done and I doubt I'll actively hate it. Worst case scenario I still have Scene 27 of Our Robocop Remake.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Saw this today. I went it with pretty low expectations given last year's Total Recall remake but RoboCop is OK. Not as memorable as the original but far from a disaster. I found the action scenes pretty generic and un-involving but some of the quieter scenes are good. I particularly liked the part where Murphy is first put in the suit and is trying to come to terms with what's happened to him - when Murphy is first shown without the suit it's shocking how little of his body remains.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Saw this today. I went it with pretty low expectations given last year's Total Recall remake but RoboCop is OK. Not as memorable as the original but far from a disaster. I found the action scenes pretty generic and un-involving but some of the quieter scenes are good. I particularly liked the part where Murphy is first put in the suit and is trying to come to terms with what's happened to him - when Murphy is first shown without the suit it's shocking how little of his body remains.

That news really pisses me off. I prefer the original when he didn't have to come to terms with whats happened to him because he didn't know. He had no memory at first, he had just been switche don.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

That news really pisses me off. I prefer the original when he didn't have to come to terms with whats happened to him because he didn't know. He had no memory at first, he had just been switche don.

This is a different film to the original. Sorry you're pissed off though.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I don't think there's any chance this is going to be as good as the original, but it really doesn't have to be. As long as it's better than Robocop 2 and 3, I'll be happy with it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jeedy Jay posted:

As long as it's better than Robocop 2, I'll be happy with it.
It won't be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdMk3gECIVA

However it won't take much to be better than Robocop 3.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Then I guess I'll just be moderately okay with it.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

wyoming posted:

It doesn't come out where I live. :(

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It won't be.

Time to find Robocop 2.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It won't be.

I never realized Weller was basically channelling Adam West for most of that movie.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Lawlicaust posted:

The slightly less graphic version but still probably NWS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFI6L4m49g

I would watch a whole remake done by these guys.

This is amazing. :stare:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

PaganGoatPants posted:

This is amazing. :stare:

The whole remake is actually pretty goddamn funny: http://ourrobocopremake.com/watch.html

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heads up: Joel Kinnaman is going to be on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight (Monday 2/10), so if you're interested in maybe finding out some new info about the remake a couple days before it comes out then make sure you tune in or DVR it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

Lawlicaust posted:

I would watch a whole remake done by these guys.

When the music starts up... I can't breathe.

• Locked thread