Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RBRCaVjYrM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

When I worked at a junkyard anyone who was pulling a windshield (except the guys who ran sketchy glass shops and were in there to stock up) just cut the hood release cable and used that.

Literally every example of what not to do in the event of a gasoline fire all in one video. gently caress. Me.
But he put a carb on a GenII and threw it in an NA so we're clearly dealing with exactly the type of guy that would be that stupid.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
He put TBI on it later, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iodBPqN7vmk

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I mounted a tire with tire irons once just so I'd know how to do it if I ever needed to far from civilization, but I'd rather pay someone with a machine to do it from now on.

I've mounted probably well over 100 truck tires with tire irons (heavy truck, we're talking 22.5s). Dirty, you get sore after doing it for a few hours. But not so bad.

I found a pair of tires that would fit my pickup for free when I really needed some drat tires. I took them to the shop and mounted them. I almost gave up after I got the first one on, to either pay someone else or just drive on poo poo. Mounting passenger vehicle tires with irons is just super lovely.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Too bad he missed the couch while wildly swinging the gas can.

Oh well.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

You haven't been sore from mounting tires until you've mounted 20 ply Chinese 17.5-25s (or 14.00-24? I can't remember) on drop center Zoom Boom wheels (technically not supposed to be possible, anything over 16 ply and it's meant for a multi-piece wheel). When you have to bend the wheel straight again after you mount a tire, you know you've been prying pretty hard.
Customer wanted to try them as an alternative to foam fill (polyurethane foam that's used to make a pneumatic tire into a solid tire). Apparently the next time those tires came off it took 4 guys to dismount. They went back to foam fill.

e: I still can't figure out why he kept cranking while it was actively on fire. Did he think he had an engine fan on it and that would blow the fire out?

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 8, 2014

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Lingenfelter must have contracted Hot Wheels to design their Raptor slayer

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Once you guys in the frozen tundras get finished with all that snow we ought to be fine. You're hogging it and we aren't getting your sweet, sweet runoff.

I'm northern, but only far enough to get fog (it's loving storming in the north Bay Area)

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
It has rubber to stop rubbing where they glued the large wheel arch to the existing panel?

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

Tommychu posted:

e: I still can't figure out why he kept cranking while it was actively on fire. Did he think he had an engine fan on it and that would blow the fire out?

He said that his teacher/father/mate told him to keep cranking to suck the pooled gas into the chambers, but he kept fiddling with the gas pump switch so that didn't work too well.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fattig posted:

He said that his teacher/father/mate told him to keep cranking to suck the pooled gas into the chambers, but he kept fiddling with the gas pump switch so that didn't work too well.

Him blowing on it was pretty drat hilarious though, it's funny the stupid poo poo people will do in panic mode. At least he can say he didn't burn his house down.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
I am in no way defending the hilarious series of poor decisions in that video, but cranking an engine over to put out a small carb fire is a perfectly valid technique, as is blowing it out. I have had to do both after intake backfires.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Unload My Head posted:

I am in no way defending the hilarious series of poor decisions in that video, but cranking an engine over to put out a small carb fire is a perfectly valid technique, as is blowing it out. I have had to do both after intake backfires.
Yeah, but I think the flames were actually coming out of the exhaust ports, as there doesn't seem to be any exhaust manifolds on that motor

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

leica posted:

Him blowing on it was pretty drat hilarious though, it's funny the stupid poo poo people will do in panic mode. At least he can say he didn't burn his house down.

Every new day is a new chance for him to do exactly that. I just hope that somebody puts it on YouTube when that day comes.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
you're such a hater, hellaflush doesn't affect tire wear :argh:

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
He's having his stanced drop done on an installment plan, just like the guy a few pages ago buying wheels for his CRX.

Also, is that thing dragging the exhaust on the ground, or is it an optical illusion?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Every time I've bodged a wreck back together it's always been suspension first; hammer out the bodywork after. Most people seem to skip the first step and are happy enough to get most of the crushed sheet metal bent out or replaced (with packing tape or whatever) and just keep on going.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Defrost isn't a sudden and violent temperature change. It had probably chipped or cracked in a way or place you couldn't see, and then a few weeks later it cracked to the point where it's at now.

This was what I was thinking - most likely already had a small crack or chip in it, and the temperature change caused it to crack under stress. I had that happen a few years ago, got a small rock chip in my window in winter and within a couple days it turned into a good 24"+ crack across the windshield, mainly because it got down way below zero at night.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Unload My Head posted:

Also, is that thing dragging the exhaust on the ground, or is it an optical illusion?
It's a piece of exhaust desperately clinging on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bugdrvr posted:

Every time I've bodged a wreck back together it's always been suspension first; hammer out the bodywork after. Most people seem to skip the first step and are happy enough to get most of the crushed sheet metal bent out or replaced (with packing tape or whatever) and just keep on going.

They must really care about the car because they took the time to swap out a fender.

Usually beaters like that from Wisconsin or Minnesota stay that way because people hit deer so often they invest the bare minimum to keep them on the road. Catastrophic failure? Send it to the junkyard and buy another beater.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ozz81 posted:

This was what I was thinking - most likely already had a small crack or chip in it, and the temperature change caused it to crack under stress. I had that happen a few years ago, got a small rock chip in my window in winter and within a couple days it turned into a good 24"+ crack across the windshield, mainly because it got down way below zero at night.

Yeah, that's my bet. I bet I find a tiny chip or something right at the edge of the glass under the trim where the crack started.

The funny thing is that there is a chip in the windshield, but the crack missed it by a good 3-4 inches. I figured it'd go right to the chip.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

No pic, but I saw a Lincoln LS on the side of the road on the way into work this morning. Right front tire and wheel were perpendicular to the direction of travel, and that corner of the car was on the ground, with associated fender damage from the tire. Someone neglected to check their ball joints for some time.
Pity, the car looked nice otherwise.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
8 less rare Corvettes in the world:

What are the odds of a skinkhole just eating up a car museum?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

echoplex posted:

Was it in Florida? If so, probably 50/50.

e: Nope, Kentucky. Probably more like 1/10.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Technically it's eight fewer ;) :eng101:

Here's the musuem in happier times: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drjonboyg/sets/72157594494882708/

Corvette Indy 500 pace cars by Dr Gitlin, on Flickr

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Cruseydr posted:

Was it in Florida? If so, probably 50/50.

e: Nope, Kentucky. Probably more like 1/10.

That area of Kentucky is actually known for having sinkholes.

Archy
May 23, 2005
The Dangle Angle
One of the maintenance guys came in earlier and bought us out of caution tape. Apparently all of the cars damaged were either owned by the museum or lent from General Motors, so no losses from private owners.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

echoplex posted:

That sinkhole, that museum? The odds were 1, apparently.

(sorry)

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

echoplex posted:

Security cam footage of it happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IukDWhf7U9I

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

tuna posted:

Security cam footage of it happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IukDWhf7U9I

:ohdear: graboids are real.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echoplex posted:

At least the only interesting one (besides the late model ZR1, which is replaceable) seems fairly unhurt.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Some better views of the carnage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5FG9_mGWPo

Aside from the guy being a terrible pilot and no one knowing how to edit a video to remove the worthless bits, it's interesting video.

According to the news (and it's big around here since we live so close) the only thing really valuable that was near the hole was the only 1983 Corvette model in existence, but luckily the hole didn't open enough to swallow it.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

No pictures, but some how my wife 'hit a snow bank' and managed to pop the tire off of the rim, without causing any actual damage. Tire shop reset it, and did a full check through to see if there was any damage. I wish she had taken a picture of the tire.

And this 'snow bank'.

Edit: poo poo, I thought I was in the mechanical failures thread

KeanuReevesGhost fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 13, 2014

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
You in Atlantic Canada? I recognize these. My friend has an echo and we were making fun trying to get him to slam it like that one.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SlimManFat posted:

You in Atlantic Canada? I recognize these. My friend has an echo and we were making fun trying to get him to slam it like that one.

Yessir. Halifax area.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
My personal nomination from that group:

I'm from St. John's, NL btw. The land of rusty shitboxes.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I hope you'll forgive me for thinking that was three images, of which my retarded internet allowed only the second to load.

And yes, I would drive the hell out of that. Ironically, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
code:
drukqs 
3:47 PM (7 days ago)

to Male, Female neighbors 
I just installed a new silencer, I hope this reduces the noise levels sufficiently. Let me know!

<picture of silencer installed on muffler>

drukqs 
9:19 PM (3 hours ago)

to Male, Female neighbors 
I haven't heard back from you for about a week... Are either of you still bothered by the noise my car makes since the addition of this silencer?

Male neighbor
10:44 PM (1 hour ago)

to me 
Hi drukqs,

Thanks so much for your considerate message. Would it be OK if I got back to you in a day or two with a considered response?

Best,

Male neighbor
:ohdear:

I wait with bated breath