Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

paulnewmanseyes posted:

In Tom Strong it's a dude who gets raped, which is a change from the norm I guess

Twice. And on both occasions he basically goes: "Welp." which is a bit hosed up.
And since we're talking Tom Strong, I finished reading the new series, The Planet of Peril. I liked it, even though it should've been called Tom Strong/Terra Obscura, because unless you read that mini a few years ago, you would be lost as to who the hell anyone (besides the Strong family) is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"Kirby: King of Comics!" by Mark Evanier is a motherfucking steal for 75 cents. Excellent book.

It's a steal at 75 DOLLARS. That book is a must-have for superhero fans or anyone interested in comics or pop art.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is Fairest any good? I never bothered to read Fables.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gatts posted:

I read Fables and I still got bored halfway into the first arc of Fairest and dropped it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Benito Cereno posted:

It's a steal at 75 DOLLARS. That book is a must-have for superhero fans or anyone interested in comics or pop art.

Yeah the short autobiographical comic that double-page spread is from is worth the price of admission at basically any cost.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gatts posted:

1/2 good, 1/2 boring.

Fables is the same way, 1/2 good, 1/2 abysmally boring. Oh, and authorial political posturing, which ruins characters when you realize it's happening.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mister Roboto posted:

1/2 good, 1/2 boring.

Fables is the same way, 1/2 good, 1/2 abysmally boring. Oh, and authorial political posturing, which ruins characters when you realize it's happening.

The worst part about PLUCKY LITTLE ISRAEL, beyond even the politics, is how horrifically ignorant it is of the real world. "Plucky little Israel" who just happened to have a big brother with a big dick who stood behind them glowering at people. rear end in a top hat.

Anyway, why is the last issue of Hitman so good? Why does it make my room get so dusty all of a sudden? Mysteries for the ages.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Literally The Worst posted:

The worst part about PLUCKY LITTLE ISRAEL, beyond even the politics, is how horrifically ignorant it is of the real world. "Plucky little Israel" who just happened to have a big brother with a big dick who stood behind them glowering at people. rear end in a top hat.

I'm not bothered by people's politics, pro or anti Israel, in this scenario. I was more bothered because that was when I realized that Bigby was the wish-fulfilment self-insert of Willingham. It changed Bigby's characteristics into Willingham's characteristics.

That meant things like Bigby wanting to marry Snow because they had sex wasn't actually Bigby talking, but Willingham pushing his conservative values, coming right alongside Snow calling abortion a primitive act by savages. There were many little things that gave it away that it's no longer a character and just a mouthpiece.

That ruined Fables for me, because then it spread and it became clear that some characters were meant to be strawmen and others meant to be virtuous examples of his political views.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Senor Candle posted:

Hey I forget if it was this thread or not, but a while back people were posting pictures of their bookshelves and now I'm gonna do that!

How are those Zelda manga and that Left 4 Dead comic?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Action Tortoise posted:

The Zelda manga are pretty childish, ridiculous but also fun. Especially as you can feel the author trying to come up with a coherent storyline reason for bizarre videogame logic. That and Link is always silent in game, so the comic writer has to come up with various dialogues that explain why he does certain things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Benito Cereno posted:

Well thanks I had to go and buy it. It just so happens I buy it on the 20th Anniversary of his death.
I imagine it looked like something like this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've made an Ultimate Marvel writers quiz. I've left off the Ultimate Comics Universe Reborn ones because I'm not entirely sure who's writing them, but other than that I think I've covered more or less everything.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Metal Loaf posted:

I've made an Ultimate Marvel writers quiz. I've left off the Ultimate Comics Universe Reborn ones because I'm not entirely sure who's writing them, but other than that I think I've covered more or less everything.

I got pretty much all of them except blanking on Rucka on Ultimate Daredevil and Edmonson on Ultimate Comics Iron Man

I'm not counting Loebs friends that he got on books either cos nobody knows their names :colbert:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

47/59, and I don't even read the Ultimate line!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm not bothered by people's politics, pro or anti Israel, in this scenario. I was more bothered because that was when I realized that Bigby was the wish-fulfilment self-insert of Willingham. It changed Bigby's characteristics into Willingham's characteristics.

That meant things like Bigby wanting to marry Snow because they had sex wasn't actually Bigby talking, but Willingham pushing his conservative values, coming right alongside Snow calling abortion a primitive act by savages. There were many little things that gave it away that it's no longer a character and just a mouthpiece.

That ruined Fables for me, because then it spread and it became clear that some characters were meant to be strawmen and others meant to be virtuous examples of his political views.

Snow's character arc is literally from independent, career-minded woman to homemaker.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

The Zelda manga is my girlfriend's and she liked them. I never actually read the Left 4 Dead comic in that I got it for the TF2 stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I think with the Zelda manga you are basically getting what you'd expect. I wouldn't put it on a list of great manga but it's not terrible.

The Left4Dead comic was done by Mike Oeming so it's not bad. Valve still have the webcomic version of it up on http://www.l4d.com/comic/ if people want to read.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mister Roboto posted:

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Snow's character arc is literally from independent, career-minded woman to homemaker.

I had enjoyed- I- augh. How didn't I notice- dammit, knowledge-

:smith:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is there a way to read One Punch Man legally without having to buy whole Shonen Jump books? Are those scan sites legal? I'm not *too* concerned about it, but it seems like something I'd enjoy based on the pages I've seen in various threads.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Is there a way to read One Punch Man legally without having to buy whole Shonen Jump books? Are those scan sites legal? I'm not *too* concerned about it, but it seems like something I'd enjoy based on the pages I've seen in various threads.

They haven't released collections yet in the US for some reason so apart from buying the backlog of WSJ or just waiting no. You should catch up on scans or whatever then subscribe to Shonen Jump. It's only like $25 a year and it's super rad..

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Senor Candle posted:

They haven't released collections yet in the US for some reason so apart from buying the backlog of WSJ or just waiting no. You should catch up on scans or whatever then subscribe to Shonen Jump. It's only like $25 a year and it's super rad..

"Some reason" being you have poo poo like a page that's literally a 7 MB gif of a dude getting punched and going flying.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Jack Kirby died 20 years ago today, so when you have a half-hour free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbDtGwKJnFk

Benito Cereno posted:

Also, lookit what I found today!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 6, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I had enjoyed- I- augh. How didn't I notice- dammit, knowledge-

:smith:

Yeah, that's basically what I went through.

Fables started so well, sigh. :smith:

Willingham also made it worse by acting like a complete smug dick when called out on it, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Jack Kirby died 20 years ago today, so when you have a half-hour free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbDtGwKJnFk

Also, lookit what I found today!

You're a son of a bitch. Where'd you score that?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I dunno about him, but I got my copy for 10 bucks at Barnes and Noble.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I Before E posted:

I dunno about him, but I got my copy for 10 bucks at Barnes and Noble.

And it's 30 bucks on Amazon.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
At what point does Fables go bad? I bought Vol 1 from the Comixology DC sale...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Vol. 11 is the end of the adversary war, at which point everything goes downhill.

Some would say it's always been bad, some would say it's still good, but has peaked long ago. It's hard to say, just keep reading until you don't want to anymore, that's what I did. I still think it's a really good comic despite Willingham's bullshit.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Schneider Heim posted:

I thought it was a by and large entertaining read until the end of the Adversary War (issue 75?) at which point it starts a rapid decline until it hits the crossover and craters. I have no idea how it is now, I gave up long ago.

Jack of Fables was the same way, except it hits the crossover much sooner and the downslide was so sharp that I'd recommend against reading any of it given that it started pretty promisingly and ended so badly.

I agree about the characters devolving into mouthpieces more and more but at least through the war there's enough plot momentum that I found stupid poo poo easy to ignore. I imagine reading month to month would have been much more difficult.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 7, 2014

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Support your local used book stores!

Schneider Heim posted:

Fables #1

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

I got mine for 20ish on ebay.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Metal Loaf posted:

I got all of them, but you forgot Cullen Bunn on Ultimate Comics Wolverine.

Edit: And Charlie Huston on the second Ultimates annual.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, that's basically what I went through.

Fables started so well, sigh. :smith:

Yeah, I seem to recall some of that slipping into Shadowpact but I don't remember the details.

Zachack posted:

I thought it was a by and large entertaining read until the end of the Adversary War (issue 75?) at which point it starts a rapid decline until it hits the crossover and craters. I have no idea how it is now, I gave up long ago.

Jack of Fables was the same way, except it hits the crossover much sooner and the downslide was so sharp that I'd recommend against reading any of it given that it started pretty promisingly and ended so badly.

Yeah, I concur Fables was pretty solid for me up to #75, but I haven't reread it with fresh eyes in about five years. After that it just persists, and starts to somehow feel like fanfiction by the original author. And yes, the Jack of Fables ending has got to probably one of the worst cappers to a comic. It's ballsy, but ultimately horrible and self-indulgent.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I concur Fables was pretty solid for me up to #75, but I haven't reread it with fresh eyes in about five years. After that it just persists, and starts to somehow feel like fanfiction by the original author. And yes, the Jack of Fables ending has got to probably one of the worst cappers to a comic. It's ballsy, but ultimately horrible and self-indulgent.

So exactly like Jack, then. I don't know, I thought that ending was really funny at the time - looking back it's pretty lazy, and a clear result of him having no idea where to go with the story, but I still think it's oddly fitting for how insane that book was in general. I'd put it in the same league as something like Meet the Feebles.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

So exactly like Jack, then. I don't know, I thought that ending was really funny at the time - looking back it's pretty lazy, and a clear result of him having no idea where to go with the story, but I still think it's oddly fitting for how insane that book was in general.

I felt more willing to roll with it when I first read it. The fact that's what I have to look back on when I remember it has lessened my forgiveness considerably.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I was googling Stan Sakai to see how his wife was doing, there was that auction late last year to help him out, and I saw this.

Man, poor guy. :smith:

This looks nice. :unsmith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So does anyone in the know want to explain these panels to me?

Because, to the untrained eye, it looks like an old Superman making out with a 14-year old (at most) girl.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

So exactly like Jack, then. I don't know, I thought that ending was really funny at the time - looking back it's pretty lazy, and a clear result of him having no idea where to go with the story, but I still think it's oddly fitting for how insane that book was in general. I'd put it in the same league as something like Meet the Feebles.

I read the ending as a giant "gently caress this, I'm done *drops the mike" which I would have been a lot more ok with if the series hadn't been bad for a long while prior to that. House of Mystery (same author) was the same way, except much less "interesting" at the end which is pretty criminal in a series that gets Gilbert (or Jamie?) Hernandez to do one of the stories.

It's like Sturges can come up with great ideas but can't carry it past the first 10 issues... and then it keeps going to 50.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lurdiak posted:

Because, to the untrained eye, it looks like an old Superman making out with a 14-year old (at most) girl.

Perspective looks off to me for some reason. He's drawn like we're looking down on him but she's drawn as if we're viewing her mostly at the horizon yet they're supposed to be level with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

John Byrne.

• Locked thread