Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My group has been playing 40kRP games for the past five years and we've never once used any of that dumb fiddly poo poo like endeavors and the deathwatch mission parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Night10194 posted:

So, I've been pondering running Rogue Trader again, someday, but I had a question. I've always had a hard time handling missions because the whole achievement thing is woefully arbitrary and underdeveloped. I'd prefer to drop it entirely, but at the same time so much of shipbuilding is built around getting bonus points for X kind of objective. How do all of you handle the silly victory point system?
IIRC one of the books gives suggested achievement point values for different difficulty skill challenges and combats. That kind of suggests they'd work if you played RT by the PCs suggesting an endeavour, then the GM setting the required AP, then the PCs proposing challenges to meet the AP total, but it's not really a mode of play the rest of the material meshes with.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The Endeavours system looks like it works better in reverse than it does being used normally, similar to the character creation system.

You go off on your adventure, tally up your achievement points, and then figure out how much PF you made/lost, based on the achievement point thresholds you passed, rather than declaring something lesser/greater/grand beforehand.

Of course, this doesn't quite take into account it being possible to bust your rear end working, accomplish your tasks, and still get squat, but PF is abstracted across your entire holdings, and anyway this is Rogue Trader, not Black Crusade Rogue Proletariat

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
Would it be worthwhile for a 40k noob to dig into the lore via the various novels first? Or would it better serve me to just jump straight the gently caress in and order plastic menz?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

gently caress the overpriced plastic men, just read anything Dan Abnett.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The lore has nothing to do with the table-top, it should only really have anything to do with the RPGs if people think that it should. The novel lore drifts between writers and series anyway.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
That's a bit disappointing but from my own 7 seconds of Google Machine research, pretty much standard. I may try to find somewhere nearby and spectate some games.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Things actually drift more the other way. Big table-top events and rebalancing of the game can lead to much bigger changes in the wider canon than anything that turns up in a novel can change the wider game.

Apart from specific game-breaking characters that occasionally show up and get stat lines.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Eh, it goes both ways. The poo poo that more popular authors write tends to get rules in the next edition.

ghana rheya
Dec 26, 2013
I'm honestly going to spruce up my neckbeard (probably serious), and participate in some games. I know myself enough that reading the lore initially will disappoint me.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Speaking of which, what is responsible for this stupid "Necrons have emotions and personalities now" Bullshit? Is that something that came up in the tabletop codex, or originated at the fluff/novel level and bled over?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Better than that, they're sassy now.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Werix posted:

Speaking of which, what is responsible for this stupid "Necrons have emotions and personalities now" Bullshit? Is that something that came up in the tabletop codex, or originated at the fluff/novel level and bled over?

It was the latest Necron codex that affected the fluff, I believe (though it got sort of foreshadowed/hinted at with the loony Necron Lord in Fall of Damnos if memory serves).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm gonna be honest, Necrons have always been pretty boring in my opinion. 40K doesn't exactly lack for implacable, overwhelming, alien threats that steadily march forward heedless of your defense and render entire worlds barren of all life...you've already got the Tyrannids doing that, so also having an army of green-lit Terminator robots to do it too seems redundant. I'm all for sassy Tomb Kings.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
They could have gotten a better introduction than Fall of Damnos where the new Necron Lords are all portrayed as massive idiots who commit suicide because can't tell the difference between a resurrection orb and a vortex grenade and do things like butterfingering an unconscious guy so hard they cut off his head and not even notice it for a while or simply walking off cliffs because they weren't paying attention to where they were going.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Kai Tave posted:

I'm gonna be honest, Necrons have always been pretty boring in my opinion. 40K doesn't exactly lack for implacable, overwhelming, alien threats that steadily march forward heedless of your defense and render entire worlds barren of all life...you've already got the Tyrannids doing that, so also having an army of green-lit Terminator robots to do it too seems redundant. I'm all for sassy Tomb Kings.

I was actually kind of a fan of an alien species with no personality, whose motives were unknowable. A species that can't be bargained with, that can't be reasoned with, that doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And that absolutely will not stop, ever, until all life is dead.

So yes, exactly green-lit terminators. If they felt the need to give a race some sort of personality, they should have done that with the Tyranids. Oh wait, they kind of did with the "elite" bio-morphs that are the same creature reborn over and over again. Why do they keep ruining this stuff?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, I feel like eldar, tau, and especially chaos have more than enough personality for enemies. Sassy terminators is pretty dumb, and I feel like tyranids and necrons are more than thematically different enough to share the "can't be reasoned with" trait.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Yeah, they keep trying to make everything MORE human

The best part of the setting was how chaos and aliens were so inhuman that we couldn't even BEGIN to understand their motivations, and even trying to understand them usually drove people insane to one degree or another. Now necrons are just... humanoid robots who were once a flesh race. And Eldar are poncy humans who see the future and really obsess over poo poo, and Tau are just regular human-like dudes who are brainwashed into believing in the Greater Good.

The only awesome guys left are the orks.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'm pretty sure the best part of the setting was how everyone was :krad: eighties :rock: all the time.
FFG should totally release a Rogue Trader rpg for April Fools Day.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Werix posted:

I was actually kind of a fan of an alien species with no personality, whose motives were unknowable. A species that can't be bargained with, that can't be reasoned with, that doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And that absolutely will not stop, ever, until all life is dead.

I think those are called Tyrannids, we already had those.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Night10194 posted:

I think those are called Tyrannids, we already had those.

I think the Necrons embodied it better. Maybe part of it is that Terminator aspect to the race itself; yeah the Tyranids are like that, but they are a giant wave of flesh intent on consuming everything: they are quick, spry, animated. The Necrons were a slow, lumbering race, they did not even have zeal for what they did, they just slowly marched on towards their enemies, feeling no pain, bleeding no blood, never really killable. To me, there is more horror in a slowly advancing tide of nigh invincible robit men than a giant wave of flesh and teeth.

I just think the Necrons were a better soulless antagonist. Go full circle and have the Tyranids run by Kerrigan-esque a hive mind that is interested in biological perfection or some poo poo; give them personality and emotion and give me my soulless, unstoppable killing machines back.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Fair enough, and I could definitely see having fun making the Nids a little less faceless at times, too, as they've always turned out kinda boring when we've fought them.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I dunno, I LIKE sassy terminators. "Alien and Unknowable" is fun in theory but not if you want any sort of complex interaction other than "shoot on sight". What works on tabletop doesn't work in novels or rpgs (Other than stuff like Deathwatch, obv).

Making them more comprehendable, even as the risk of more "human like" (Quite honestly orks are more understandable and human than Imperials.) is a good thing IMO

Also, sassy necrons means there's now TWO races in the galaxy with a sense of humor. I approve.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

We've already got goofy and relatable human traits in like every race BUT the necrons and tyranids, though? Eldar are practically psychic humans, tau are communists, orks are soccer hooligans, and Chaos are just more extreme expressions of regular emotions. I agree that not every major alien should be some unknowable intelligence, but poo poo, there's room for some to be.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FireSight posted:

Yeah, they keep trying to make everything MORE human

The best part of the setting was how chaos and aliens were so inhuman that we couldn't even BEGIN to understand their motivations, and even trying to understand them usually drove people insane to one degree or another. Now necrons are just... humanoid robots who were once a flesh race. And Eldar are poncy humans who see the future and really obsess over poo poo, and Tau are just regular human-like dudes who are brainwashed into believing in the Greater Good.

The only awesome guys left are the orks.

This is pretty accurate, emphasis on the orks are awesome because they are still the same nonsense football hooligans they have always been.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Ronwayne posted:

I dunno, I LIKE sassy terminators. "Alien and Unknowable" is fun in theory but not if you want any sort of complex interaction other than "shoot on sight". What works on tabletop doesn't work in novels or rpgs (Other than stuff like Deathwatch, obv).

Making them more comprehendable, even as the risk of more "human like" (Quite honestly orks are more understandable and human than Imperials.) is a good thing IMO

Also, sassy necrons means there's now TWO races in the galaxy with a sense of humor. I approve.
Plus now they're a more identifiable horror now. They thought they were getting immortality and are now just eternally hollow, maddened versions of their old selves with glitchy thought patterns. You can interact with them, but it raises the questions about who's really the crazy one.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Werix posted:

I think the Necrons embodied it better. Maybe part of it is that Terminator aspect to the race itself; yeah the Tyranids are like that, but they are a giant wave of flesh intent on consuming everything: they are quick, spry, animated. The Necrons were a slow, lumbering race, they did not even have zeal for what they did, they just slowly marched on towards their enemies, feeling no pain, bleeding no blood, never really killable. To me, there is more horror in a slowly advancing tide of nigh invincible robit men than a giant wave of flesh and teeth.

I just think the Necrons were a better soulless antagonist. Go full circle and have the Tyranids run by Kerrigan-esque a hive mind that is interested in biological perfection or some poo poo; give them personality and emotion and give me my soulless, unstoppable killing machines back.

Eh, to each his own. I much prefer Necrons to actually be a race as opposed to random don't-give-a-gently caress terminators that pop out of the ground occasionally to wipe planets of life. No motivation and no personality makes them really boring to me. Just another "kill everything" antagonist.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Necrons as faceless, implacable Terminator-bots work fine as a concept that lurks in the background as one of those "here there be dragons" deals, and 40K has a few of those floating around out there...xeno-horrors that get alluded to or who get mentioned in passing...but then they decided to make them a full-fledged army and I feel like that's the point where "faceless, emotionless dudes who pop up, kill everything and/or teleport away without a trace, rinse repeat" starts to look a bit thin on the engaging flavor front.

And to be honest most Tradgames 40K I see tends to lean towards the sassy side anyway :v:

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

While you can do it, with other races, I especially like the image of an eons old skeleton robot lord in psudeo-egyptian drag giving a sinister monologue while his minions attack

"WHAT IS A MAN?..."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Necrons were the horror of immortality. Eternal existance granted at the loss of the entirety of who they were. The Necron Lords woke to rule over the silent bodies of their friends and family.

They got what they wanted, but had never understood the cost.

The necrons were a horror story.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Well, if it helps, from what I understand the majority of the Necrons still are soulless, personality bereft drones that simply kill things and take orders. The standard warriors are essentially the same, Immortals have a tiny bit of themselves left, just enough to order around the lessers, but no emotions or anything. So, for the most part the only dudes/dudettes with that despicable capability for sass are the Lords and I think the Necrotechs or whatever. The science dudes. You know, those guys.

Anyway, yeah. For the most part, they are still an unreasoning horde that's gonna kill everything they see and silently wander off. It's just now there's a slightly (slightly) more reasonable and much more sassy and insane robo-king ordering them around.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm about to start playing an Only War campaign, and I was wondering if there was a good way to manage my character sheet on an iPad. I've tried looking for apps, but most seem to be aimed at other types of D&D games such as Pathfinder etc. Anyone got any ideas?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

This is honestly seems like a system that would benefit massively from an official app or coherent web support.
Trying to keep track of everything in these games makes me feel like my head is hoing to explode, and trying to record everything by hand on a smartphone keyboard is just...

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Gunder posted:

I'm about to start playing an Only War campaign, and I was wondering if there was a good way to manage my character sheet on an iPad. I've tried looking for apps, but most seem to be aimed at other types of D&D games such as Pathfinder etc. Anyone got any ideas?

It's not a character sheet, but here's a link to a Google Drive chart that lays out skill and talent advancement costs for each individual class:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahv2w1fHiN1CdF9aMzlHNFJSOTB3MHZOQTNLYWtXMEE&usp=sharing

You have to figure out your own additional aptitudes that come from your regiment or whatever, but this makes it a little faster.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Locomotive breath posted:

So, for the most part the only dudes/dudettes with that despicable capability for sass are the Lords and I think the Necrotechs or whatever. The science dudes. You know, those guys

Cypteks. And yeah this dude is right. It's now a bunch of lords playing out their dynastic fantasies and having nobody to appreciate their successes except for other lords, many of whom hate them or are too insane to care. Just a bunch of robot slaves

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The C'Tan were too similar to the Chaos Gods and needed of be retconned. That left an even bigger personality deficiency for the tabletop army. So solve both problems at once by giving them ancient, alien, malignant, but identifiable and varied goals. It works pretty well, I think.

But thinking of all the xenos as fundamentally human is a big mistake (though a natural one). It's normal to anthropologise all kinds of things but that doesn't really make it human, it just means you're likely to make a foolish mistake. Also "unknowably intelligent enemies" is a narrative concept that cannot effectively support a military story for very long.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 9, 2014

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of all this alien fluff, are Tau still ostensibly portrayed as being local to a small piece of the galaxy due to their FTL tech? Does anyone (FFG, GW, random DMs) ever stop and wonder where in the galaxy the specific scene is and if the Tau could be there?

Also I went into our local gaming store Saturday night for the first time ~ten years. Man, it all seemed exactly the same. Except all the dorks playing magic had gotten way younger and they didn't even TRY to sell Warhammer Fantasy figures.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of handwaving and mysterious artifice to ensure that the appropriate people are present for every fight. Kroot that are heavily implied to have had contact with the Tau are found in the Koronus Expanse - despite it being on entirely the wrong side of the galaxy - so you can argue that there are strange warp-paths that can make travel around the galaxy easier.

It doesn't really matter anyway, because even if their ships are "only" 1/5 as fast as Imperial ones, Imperial ships are described as going 5 light years in a few days. Even at a light year or two a week you can still cross the bulk of the galaxy in a few centuries. Practically instantaneous compared to the timescales a lot of 40k works with.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

What I always found weird was how they always portray the Sol system as the center of the galaxy.
I mean, it makes sense that Imperial maps are Terra-centric, doubly so considering the reliance on the Astronomicon, but they're always depicting the edge of inter-galactic void being an equal distance in all directions from Earth.
I'd kinda expect that you'd have the void on one end, and then an increasingly dense set of stars eventually leading to 'astra incognita', not empty space. I mean, the Koronus expanse is sort of like that, in that it's supposed to be 'star systems beyond the light of the Astronomicon', but they seem to just go 'fart, intergalactic void & tyranids' pretty quickly.

Plus, there's always vague references to fighting battles with Squats near the galactic core as the backstory for MK III "Iron" Armor, but there's no denser galactic core region pictured in any of the games.

Holy poo poo, forget Psyker X-Men, I want a Rogue Trader Squats game. Squat Trader or Rogue Squats?
Could probably do generic Rogue Trader ventures, but Squat specific stuff would probably involve the Tyranid Hive Fleet that ate the Squat Worlds, whether it be before, during, or after. Like, the devouring is such a big event that it's 'fated' to happen (players probably maybe can't stop it), but it's about how you deal with it and try to carry your race forward.

Wait, located at the galactic core, but eaten by tyranids? I'm guessing it's Hive Fleet Leviathan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of all this alien fluff, are Tau still ostensibly portrayed as being local to a small piece of the galaxy due to their FTL tech? Does anyone (FFG, GW, random DMs) ever stop and wonder where in the galaxy the specific scene is and if the Tau could be there?

In all my years writing 40k campaigns I've never bothered to even learn the names of the 4 segmentums or where anyone is. I've never found it added anything to worry about galactic geography. The poo poo that needs to be nearby for the story happens to be nearby, done.