Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Triangulum posted:

Here's some video of Vecna's training sessions from this weekend. Right now Vecna is learning Fanny Gott's switch game using two helpers. I don't think he quite understands that barking activates the helper even when there are two on the field but he's getting there. I don't know what his deal was with his lousy grip this weekend but hopefully working more on carrying and cradling will help up his possessiveness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Bnm_JSv_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsN8gCWFX2A
Some normal bitework with a single helper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIZcgRL-7I
I really like how he stays barking on the helper when he drops the wedge instead of orienting on the toy.

This is our second session training "wrap" for heeling. Please excuse my messy as gently caress house, I've been sick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVG7jR8q5vo

What's the wrap for? Is that to help find front?

It's interesting to watch your other videos -- it's such a foreign methodology and sport to me! Very neat to see. One that that immediately struck me was how Vecna barely glances at you during the bitework. And yet obviously the obedience aspect of IPO requires intense handler focus. It's fascinating to see how it all balances out in the sport.

E: I'd forgotten about Gott's switch game. It looks fun, and looks like it could help build speed in a lot of different venues. Will have to try that out myself at home this week.

a life less fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Training protection is a little bit strange because the helper is the one who primarily works the dog rather than the handler so it's vital to find a good one who won't ruin your dog. At this stage Vecna shouldn't be paying any attention to me, I exist only to provide back pressure, encouragement, and to perform the carry and cradle. We're basically trying to increase his possessiveness of the sleeve and teach him that his actions control the helper and to focus on the helper rather than the "dead" toy. Once he's more enthusiastic and he understands the switch game we can start working obedience into protection.

I know this sounds terrible but I'm honestly not sure what the exact purpose of teaching wrap is. I know she explained it during class but I missed a lot of the instruction because I was busy trying to keep Vex from eating the other dogs :sigh: I'll let you know when she emails us the class handout haha

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Triangulum posted:

I know this sounds terrible but I'm honestly not sure what the exact purpose of teaching wrap is. I know she explained it during class but I missed a lot of the instruction because I was busy trying to keep Vex from eating the other dogs :sigh: I'll let you know when she emails us the class handout haha

I'm doing the fenzi precision heeling class right now and she suggests using send outs like that to work on your dog returning and finding heel position with a lot of energy, so maybe something like that? I need to pick up a cone or something and work on it, right now we're doing pivots and platforms.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It's very possible. How do you like the heeling class? I took IPO fundamentals 1 with Shade Whitesel over Xmas and enjoyed it. It's a lot of money for a working spot though. A friend and I are considering getting some money together and heading up to the Bay Area to do some protection work with Michael Ellis but we'll see.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It just started but I like it fine so far. I'm just doing the bronze level and considering how much I would have to pay in gas to drive anywhere to get decent instruction think its a great value. I haven't really felt the need for a spot where I got feedback at this point. I love their nosework classes too and can't wait for nosework 3 to be taught again. Their method made so much more sense to me than other ones I've seen.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Triangulum posted:

Right now it looks like it's a tool to get his butt swinging out in front of you properly. I know Fenzi uses something similar (I think she calls it "fly") but it's normally at a greater distance. Could be a drive building tool though.

Cohen's fronts have gotten SO BAD. SUCH ANGLE. I'll probably have to introduce her to platform work to fix it too, but I've been too lazy to make an actual platform.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I really wanted to take nosework, it looks so fun! But it fucks with Schutzhund tracking so we have to hold off for a while :( Though it's not like he needs another class on top of the five a week he's currently doing lol.

Post about it more so I can live vicariously through you, TIA

E: ALL, that's exactly what it is. My trainer calls it fly too. I have instructions for building cheap platforms I can send you if you want. It's super easy and costs about $10 for 2-3

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 3, 2014

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Triangulum posted:

I really wanted to take nosework, it looks so fun! But it fucks with Schutzhund tracking so we have to hold off for a while :( Though it's not like he needs another class on top of the five a week he's currently doing lol.

Post about it more so I can live vicariously through you, TIA

E: ALL, that's exactly what it is. My trainer calls it fly too. I have instructions for building cheap platforms I can send you if you want. It's super easy and costs about $10 for 2-3

I'll have to take some video next time I do some hides and dig up the sports thread or make a scentwork one. Maj is really getting good at it and he completely passes out afterwards. I just need to find some locations to have him search away from home and then I think he could go for his ORT or pretrial test.

Can I get the platform instructions? Most of what I've seen are for much smaller dogs than mine. My email is redacted. Thanks!

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 3, 2014

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'll post the instructions in here when I get off work :)I think the sports thread is gone though, maybe someone should make a new one?

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Alright, here's how to build your own platforms:

Shade Whitesel posted:

How to make them:

Cheapest easiest way:

Materials:

2 foot by 8 foot (or 4X8) rigid Styrofoam insulation (mine was about 2 inches thick.)
Duct tape
Glue
Foam gym pad (the type that people put on their garage floors to make home gyms, kids play rooms or dog training facilities.) This pad is to prevent the dog’s claws from killing the Styrofoam.
Box cutter knife

How to Make:

Take your dog’s measurements while sitting and downing. I normally add about an inch on each side from the front paws and the hocks.
Measure your Styrofoam,
Score the measurements with the knife
Break the Styrofoam over a straight edge like a table or get brave and do it over your knee
Cut the foam pad to the exact measurements (this is much more work!)
Glue it on top and duct tape the sides after the glue dries. This helps to protect it from dog claws.
If you want make a higher one by gluing sections together.
Ta Da!

You can also get all fancy and make them out of wood, with non skid paint on top.

Here is Reik modeling my 2 insulation ones.
I used a yoga mat to cover my platforms and it's holding up pretty well. For Vecna one mat is enough to cover one down platform and one sit platform.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fantastic, thanks! Dog is going to have straight fronts even if I'm the only one to ever see them!

There's a gold level person in my class with a Malinois thats only a year old and looks as big or bigger than Major (who is 80 lb and 28" at the shoulder). It's nuts! In my mind a mal shouldn't be tall enough to snap you in the face without jumping. He has super cute floppy ears though :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Huh I always thought Maj was way bigger than that, Vecna's the same height and only 10lbs lighter! That's insane for a Mal though, there are a few Mals and Tervs in our club and they're all about knee high :3: Bounciest goddamn dogs I've ever seen in my life though, I swear to god my instructor's Terv has springs in his legs.

The other thing you can try to straighten up fronts is to make a platform with two sides so there is only a narrow channel the dog can approach through. I've been thinking of doing that myself because Vex keeps thinking I'm trying to get him to pivot :downs:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

It's interesting to watch your other videos -- it's such a foreign methodology and sport to me! Very neat to see.

It is definitely very fun to watch! When I was talking to the woman from the club I want to join, that was one of the first things she said to me, if you know about dogs and training, you'll have a really fun time watching everyone work. I could watch SchH videos all day. It's fun (and a good exercise for me) to go into a video not knowing what's being worked on and see if I can figure it out. Tri is right, you REALLY need to make sure you get a talented helper, because the training can be so subtle, it can be easy to at best have sloppy training and take forever, and at worst have someone ruin your dog. I really think you need an insane instinct to be able to work dogs the way they do.

Don't really have anything to add, but I just wanted to thank everyone for posting pictures and videos all the time! I don't always get a chance to reply, but I always watch them. :)

Daisy Chain Saw
Nov 17, 2004

JEFF GOLDBLUM PLEASE MOLEST ME
I've loved German Shepherds since I was a wee girl and finally, at age 28, I got my first one.
Meet Kali, black and tan long-haired, spayed cuddle monster.

Picked up from the breeder at 8 weeks and going to her new home 5 hours away:

Kali has seen some poo poo:

Snuggling:

11 weeks old vs now (8 months):

She's my first and certainly wont be my last. Hoping to do agility with her when she's older. Land sharks 4lyfe

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Daisy Chain Saw posted:

11 weeks old vs now (8 months):

HA! I saw and commented on this picture on Reddit. :3:

Also, paging Fraction, because I find it hilarious there's a GSD in PI named Kali. :iamafag:

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Kali is beautiful and I love her! Those fat puppy legs are the best thing :3:

Skizzles posted:

Also, paging Fraction, because I find it hilarious there's another GSD in PI named Kali. :iamafag:

Fixed that!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

She's so pretty!! She has the same expression that my in-laws' long haired GSD did. :3: I'm a sucker for a pretty roman nose like that.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Speaking of puppies, there were the cutest little GSD mixes at Petco's adoption event today :3:

Iseult
Apr 21, 2010

hoc est bellum
Hell Gem
Speaking of more puppies, I've been meaning to post for ages about mine! Thanks to WolfensteinBag I felt confident going with a local breeder and yesterday when we visited she told us which one she had decided on for us which was super exciting!! Here is my boyfriend holding her:

We are trying to decide on a crate and hoping for some advice. Since we're in Australia there's not a lot of choice. We can get the Midwest Life Stages crate for $335 at a local pet store (this one here) which has pretty good reviews. The other one we are looking at is the Midwest Life Stages "Ace" crate (this one) which is only $260 ish. After looking around online I couldn't find much information on the "ace" crate and they seem to be the same except for a different locking mechanism. Are there any other differences? Thanks for any advice :3:

Edit - got a reply from Midwest: "The Life Stages Double Door Crate is a medium duty crate whereas the Life Stages ACE Double Door Crate is a lighter duty crate" :ms:

Here are more photos of the litter: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.678872075469447.1073741836.292002324156426&type=1

Iseult fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 17, 2014

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

I guess I could be misunderstanding "guaranteed indestructible" but the fact that it now has four large punctures in it seems pretty destructed.
I did buy the thing almost a year ago but it's been stored away for months. The punctures happened within a couple of minutes of him getting it.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
I see giant dog with thing in its mouth and I immediately know it is MoMo and that whatever the plan was, it failed. He got muscley!

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's a vid of Shelby doing nosework practice. if this were in class with people and other dogs around she would have done 3 or 4 laps around the area before starting to search.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203281084886749&l=3241967405799955695

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Here's another one. I love the first frame of it:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203290806809791

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Thanks for the videos! :D I love seeing search stuff. We got to see a demo from a SAR team at the dog show Sunday, and later my husband says, "I totally see why you're so interested in that stuff, now!" I love that they have demonstrations like that for the public, it's a lot cooler when you get to see it in action.

There's a nosework class starting around here on Sunday, but I only found out about it yesterday. :( I'm set to get emails from the training club on when classes start, who sends them out with less than a week's notice? The only thing my dog cares about is food, that's a good start, right? I'm not sure about his sniffer, though, he either seems like it's starting to go with age, or that he is just lazy with it, because he misses things RIGHT underneath him a lot of the time, haha.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Just found this thread and got caught up. I've a BH on my own dog and should really have IPO 1 if I could make more time to train.

Oh and I got my entry visa for the thread right here

Soon....

With my other dog who died quite recently :(

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

About 22 hours ago, I met this guy.

Shelter claims he's a year old, but he still smells like a puppy. I've never had a year old dog still smell like a puppy, and I've had a few GSDs. Also his permanent teeth aren't fully erupted, He's supposedly mixed with Collie, which I think is a good guess, his face is pretty pointy. But, the EARS. edit: he also still squats to pee.

He's obsessed with me and will not leave my side.

He's under the table right now.

I think he's going to be a good sized dog. He's 70 lbs and 26" (66 cm) at the shoulder.

edit: one more pic.

Dust Radio fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 30, 2014

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Beautiful dog! But dude, look at him - still a puppy, you say? If he ends up growing into those ears, he's gonna be the size of a goddamn Clydesdale.

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

Beautiful dog! But dude, look at him - still a puppy, you say? If he ends up growing into those ears, he's gonna be the size of a goddamn Clydesdale.

I kind of hope he doesn't grow into them. :3:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

He looks like a pure BYB GSD to me, honestly. He's really cute :3:

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 30, 2014

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Dust Radio posted:

I kind of hope he doesn't grow into them. :3:

Those big radar ears are the coolest!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Skizzles posted:

HA! I saw and commented on this picture on Reddit. :3:

Also, paging Fraction, because I find it hilarious there's a GSD in PI named Kali. :iamafag:

t:mad:

Cute Kali!

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

ilu~ <3

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
Here's my 1 and a half year old Shepard, Sarge. His winter coat's just started to shed, godawful to brush out, and even worse to clean up.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
There's a fine tooth comb brush sold in the UK as furminator that is really good at lifting out undercoat.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Mo does not know who dug up my freshly planted avocado tree it is one of history's mysteries.

Dust Radio
Feb 13, 2012

Queen Elizatits posted:

Mo does not know who dug up my freshly planted avocado tree it is one of history's mysteries.

He is gorgeous!

Delco is "helping" me in the yard today. Mostly by getting in front of me. :woof:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Just dropping in to say you all just keep going on posting pictures, your dogs are all beautiful and I love seeing them and reading about them. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh yeah! I totally forgot to update on the puppy wait. Well, the litter that was supposed to be on the ground right now didn't take because they were accidentally off in their timing. So they're looking to breed her again in her next heat, which won't be until the end of summer. Now we're looking at possibly having to train a puppy in the winter. :ohdear: At the very least, apparently some people on the insane waiting list have dropped off, so as long as WE'RE ok when the time comes, there's a MUCH better chance of us ending up with a puppy! :dance: Honestly, too, we have had a lot of insane, unpredictable poo poo happen in the last month or so (mostly having to do with my drat car :argh: ) so putting off the pup is definitely an ok thing from our perspective. Just thought I'd update, because if things were going the way they were planned, there would be puppies born in under a month!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

HEY! What the crap, people, I tell you to keep posting pictures of your dogs and you all fall off the face of the earth? :argh:

Check out these videos I found the other day! They're of Eris, the dam of the litter we're hoping to get a puppy from. :3: She's such an awesome dog!

Doing some free shaping.

Doing a send out, then playing with a tug.

Doing some protection work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
I've been having car troubles so Shelby hasn't been really been getting out much :(

• Locked thread